on February 26, 2013
I recently purchased a Dell XPS12 convertable ultrabook running Windows 8. Because Dell wanted upwards of $350 to upgrade from a 128GB Msata SSD to a 256GB model, I instead ordered a 256GB Crucial MSATA SSD from Amazon, and this enclosure adapter along with it, so that I could still use the old 128GB SSD included with the laptop.

This enclosure did not work on Windows 8 via USB3 more or less from the Get Go. Installing the drive into the enclosure was simple, and the package included everything that I would need to get going(screws, cable, it even included a mini phillips screwdriver. I was impressed!).

After plugging it into one of the USB3 ports on my XPS12, the drive immediately powered up and presented itself to Windows. I formatted it to clear the old data and started to copy of a 3gb .ISO file to the drive to test performance. Write performance was excellent, however about 1 minute into the copy the drive disconnected itself from Windows. Unplugging the drive and plugging it back in would not fix the issue, the drive was now dead to the Operating System. Rebooting and then plugging the drive in worked, I began the file copy again, and once again it died partway through.

As another test I just plugged the drive in and let it sit idle for awhile. After about five minutes, it disappeared from windows again, requiring a reboot.

I also tested the drive on USB3 in two other computers running windows 8: an HP Elitebook, and my Gateway Desktop, all with the same results.

Finally, on a hunch I plugged the enclosure into a USB2 port and was able to leave it powered on and functioning for several hours without interruption.

Now, I do not normally write product reviews but in this case I'm making an exception. I hit the manufacturers website for this device and found no support information. No phone number, no email address, no FAQ, nothing. Working in IT, I consulted Google and found that some USB3 devices have issues with the native Windows 8 USB3 driver, so I worked to roll back my driver version to the Windows 7 USB3 driver from my USB3 card manufacturer, but had the same results with this enclosure(though other USB3 devices were working just fine, including a different drive).

I was left with no recourse but to return the enclosure and write this review. because MyDigitalSSD has now sent me three requests to write a product review. Well, I'm sorry to say that your hardware did not work. I really wish it had.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2013
I have been working with more and more mSata ssds and I have been waiting for a case like this to give me easy access to the USB 3.0 interface in a smaller than 2.5 inch form factor. I had been using 2 separate adapters to accomplish the same thing and really had not come up with a good solution for a small durable case.

I had been waiting for these to become available since they were announced on the vendors website and I really liked that they decided to use Amazon fulfillment since it makes it easier for me. I quickly ordered 2 cases and had them shipped out together.

The cases arrived in very appropriate yet plain cardboard packaging. The PCB was already inside the main part of the case with the backplate already attached and was heat sealed in a protective bag. The face plate was sealed next to the rest of the case. The protective bag was inside another foam bag. The cable was in its own ziplock bag. Another smaller ziplock bag contained the face plate screws and a very tiny screw driver. I was not impressed with the screw driver but I liked that they gave me 1 extra screw with one case and 2 extra screws with the second case.

I have been using one of the cases for over 24 hours now with 2 different mSata hdds and it has worked fine. I have not run any benchmarks with AS SSD or similar but I was able to access both drives using hdd sentinel and the SMART data looks the same as when I had the drives connected using a sata adapter. File transfers over usb 3.0 seem slightly slower than with the direct sata II connection and about the same as my previous usb 3.0 to sata to msata solution but that was only a very casual observation.

So the case looks great and the hardware seems to function as expected so why 3 stars?

On the first case I opened, one of the screw mounting channels for the face plate appeared to be flared slightly and the threads looked different than on the other side. When I tried to tighten the face plate to the case, the screw went all the way in but never became tight. I am always extremely careful with delicate screws and I made sure that the screw went in straight and I never met any resistance. The screw was then impossible to back out as it just spun in place. I had to remove the backside plate and remove the SSD from the other side and then apply light pressure to the plate to be able to remove the screw.

No problem I thought, I have a second case. I promptly opened it and inserted the ssd. The second case's faceplate went on as expected although I wish they would have been kind enough to pre apply some type of blue screw retention substance on the screws.

But wait! I went to check the screws on the backside of the second case and one of those also spun in place and could not be tightened or removed! That makes it seem more like a manufacturing issue than a quality control issue. The cases appear symmetrical and the front and back are interchangable so I wonder if part of the manufacturing process is causing one screw channel to be damaged.

So, the case is nice looking and works but the quality of the screw retention channels (which the PCB rests on inside the case) could be better. I don't think it affects the main function of the device but it does make it harder to access the drive. I guess it would be worse if the screw just slid back out.

I plan to return the first case and order another because they are useful and I am curious to see if the next one exhibits the same issue as these two. If I become worried about the screw on the second case I can use tape or epoxy to lock the back in place. I hope this isn't the reason they provided extra screws. On my workbench I prefer to use the board out of the case anyway but for portable storage duty I wish the face plate retention was more confidence inspiring.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 26, 2013
Gets extremely hot to the touch when doing long transfers... actually causes the drive to loose connecting because of the over heat. Its NOT my msata drive, been using that sucker for 8 months as an internal drive in my Asus Gene V mobo.

I wanted to move it out of the case because the msata drive connection internal is only Sata2 (3Gbps) while the msata drive itself is a Sata3 (6gbps) When i saw this i figured it was the answer to my prayers. Now im thinking i should have got the msata to 2.5" adapter, then used a standard usb 3.0 external enclosure.

I've had problems with 3 computers and 4 different usb 3.0 controllers

Update (6/7/2013) - after running several test on two different machines that support msata controllers on the motherboard & usb 3.0, this enclosure does NOT work as described and actually functions SLOWER than an msata2 controller that is capped at 3Gbps.

Using a Mushkin Direct Atlas Deluxe 240GB mSATA SATA III SSD, i was getting on average 240MB/s Read & 190MB/s Write on a Sata2 interface. Moving this to the usb 3.0 enclosure, i was expecting to see higher numbers... WRONG! Read's dropped to 190MB/s and Writes capped around 160MB/s.

I even has Mushkin replace the SSD, no joke. Told them i was convinced that it was the drive. I'm running the latest firmware on the SSD as well (5.0.4)

I cannot recommend this drive. My next attempt will be to find an Msata to 2.5" adapter, then have it put in an external enclosure supporting usb 3.0

Save your money

Update (07/05/2013) - completed Mushkin's firmware upgrade to 5.0.7, nothing has helped. I'm very unhappy with this enclosure and will not be looking to purchase one of these msata to 2.5" adapters. From there I will either mount internally OR us in a custom external enclosure.

Dont get me wrong, 190MBs Read & 161MBs Write are fast but when I get higher speeds on a slower interface, kinda leads me to think something is wrong with the enclosure. Unless some update comes out or I get a replacement enclosure, I wont plan on updating this review any more.
review image review image
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2014
Bought this mSATA enclosure after my lenovo yoga died on me with an expired warranty. After consulting computer stores around town, I accepted the fact it was now useless and will have to purchase a new laptop. RIP 2012-2014.
:'(

The files in it were the most important anyway. So instead of getting screwed over hundreds of dollars for data recovery service, plus shipping costs that were nonrefundable, and if they couldn't get anything recovered then I just wasted time and money, I did some research n opened up my lenovo paperweight and salvaged the msata drive (this is coming from a girl without a lot of computer technical knowledge or whatevs you call it).

Checked out the reviews on this enclosure and were really good, as far as I'm concerned :) MyDigitalSSD really stands behind their product - according to their site. So I gave it a shot. Price is very reasonable! I mean twenty bucks? Awww Yisss! Shipping was as quick as it said it would be. Assembly was stupid easy. Plus you get a little baby screwdriver to put the whole thing together :D

Like I said, I'm not too familiar with the process of moving hard drives and such so I was worried I had to "initialize" the drive which would format it and I'd lose everything I needed which defeats the whole point of this. LUCKILY it was so simple, after plugging it in, my new (working) laptop recognized the msata drive and ALL my files were there! AWESOME!

It did get a little hot like other people mentioned, but I transferred a crap load of files n it took awhile... but not to the point where I thought it was a potential hazard. And data transfer was pretty quick, with gigs of stuff it didnt take more than an hour.

In the end, a huge middle finger to the computer stores that wanted to rip me off! Especially the one that rhymes with REST GUY! Super happy with it! Would definitely recommend if I know anyone else with a similar issue :D
on January 24, 2013
The enclosure is sturdy aluminum, though it's not required to use the product. The board has a slot for the mSATA drive and then the drive gets pushed down like a laptop DIMM. It's sturdy, and there are some nice activity lights on the board itself. Hot-swapping in Windows 7 worked great. I used two of these to clone one mSATA to a larger mSATA and it worked like a charm.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 5, 2014
I am using an ASUS G750 laptop with USB 3 ports. When this arrived, I put a Samsung EVO 240 GB mSATA drive in it and connected it. I heard several windows USB connect/disconnect notification sounds and eventually the drive was listed in Disk Management. I formatted the drive, then copied a few 1 GB+ files to it to test transfer performance. Uninspiring. Copying files from my 1TB Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD crawled along at about 40 MB/SEC. When I copy from the Samsung SSD to my 2 TB Seagate external drive, it copies at about 80 MB/SEC.

I disconnected the enclosure and rebooted. I reconnected the enclosure. More connect/disconnect sounds, probably about 20 connect/disconnects. Eventually, after a few minutes the drive connected for good. Transfer performance remained at about 40 MB/SEC. I tried a different cable (the one I use reliably with my 2TB Seagate external drive without issue). No change.
on August 16, 2013
I purchased a Crucial drive to go in this enclosure. After I installed the drive I could here the controller board rattling around inside the case. I went to remove the screws only to find that the cheap metal tabs the screws go into was loose, the screws would just spin and spin but not come out or tighten. Eventually I got the case apart and tried to find out why the controller board rattled. Turns out the case has nothing to hold it in place. I was able to put the enclosure back together by just pushing the screws into place, screwing them into place wasn't necessary because there was so much play in the tabs.

I copied files to drive, took the drive to work, plugged it in and the computer saw the controller board but showed no media. I had to take the enclosure apart, re-seat the drive, and it started working again. It worked for a little while and then stopped, requiring the drive to be re-seated again. Each time the screws on the enclosure because looser and looser.

I've been trying to copy a second set of files for the last 2 days. The enclosure shows no media unless I re-seat the drive. Even then it errors out half way through a transfer and I have to unplug and re-seat the drive again. I got tired of fighting the enclosure and have been trying to use just the controller board. Still have the same problem.

This product is complete junk. Time to buy a different brand of enclosure.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2014
Arrived in a timely fashion, and well packaged. Does not have any instructions but really is not anything to be concerned with if you are fairly tech competent. It does include a small screwdriver for fastening things together.

The only issue I had, and which can be a PIA, is that the cable fit a bit loose in its slots and would on occasion cause the enclosure to disconnect from the computer.

I am not using it as a permanent home for the MSATA drive so it wasn't a deal breaker.

Note; don't make the rookie mistake I did at first; after putting in so many spare HDD's in enclosures I forgot that if you put in a virgin drive you will need to activate (format / partition) the drive first, otherwise you will think one device or the other is a dud.

I contacted MyDigital when it happened to me; I caught my goof though before they got back to me, but they did reply fairly promptly. I would suggest to them that perhaps a slip of paper reminding folks of this simple ting might be in order.
on October 28, 2014
This is a cool device. However, the USB3 "well" that you plug the cable into is really shallow so it can fall out easily. I've also found that I have to use a really heavy USB3 cable to get solid performance from this device. I was getting all sorts errors using several different cables I had lying around. I almost gave up before I bought the Amazon Basics Premium 3' cable for this. Since then, the drive has operated without errors. The transfer speeds are a function of the mSATA drive you put in it, of course. Mine is getting up to 250MB/s throughput for write operations which is better than I expected.
on September 5, 2013
Bought one and an msata ssd for a small external drive. The first one arrived and had intermittent connection issues. The enclosure and the cable was bad. Returned that one and bought a second and it worked fine with a known good cable, but that cable would drop the drive on a usb 3 port. Either the port on my laptop couldn't deal with the stiff cable or that one was bad as well.

Used an extra cable I had laying around and it works fine. Consistently pull 190 mb/s sequential transfers. I wish the chipset supported sata iii because the drive should be capable of ~500.

Edit: The new version of this enclosure does support SATA 6G. Thinking of upgrading.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...