From the Back Cover
With more than three million users, MySQL is the most popular open source database server in the world. In addition to running on Linux, Windows, Macintosh, FreeBSD, and several flavors of UNIX, MySQL provides an extremely fast, reliable, and inexpensive alternative to such commercial databases as Oracle, DB2, and Informix. Advantages such as those have convinced corporations to adopt MySQL to replace their more expensive database servers.
Written by Alexander Pachev, one of the lead programmers of MySQL, MySQL Enterprise Solutions is the first book to provide corporate users with both advice for adopting MySQL and a complete guide to building enterprise-level database applications with MySQL. Pachev covers all of the major programming languages used with MySQL, each illustrated with code examples. In addition, he includes case studies that document how enterprise customers are successfully using MySQL. This informative guide also covers such topics as:
- The pros and cons of a company adopting MySQL
- How to select the best platform for MySQL
- Installing, testing, and configuring the MySQL server
- Optimizing MySQL server performance
- Migrating to MySQL from other commercial databases
- Security, access control, and backup
- Practical guidance on trouble-shooting in a business environment
The companion Web site includes all of the code for the databases included in this book.