From the Computer Media column by Rachel Singer Gordon
...perennially popular open-source companions for creating database-driven web sites. These guides cover MySQL, as well as its use with PHP and other languages...Complete Reference tries to be all things to all people, covering topics from an introduction to relational databases and installing and configuring MySQL to reference material for administrators, but is most appropriate for new and intermediate users. Sidebars and notes add info and link to additional resources, while a welcome thoroughness and clarity make this a good, basic purchase for all libraries. (Library Journal)
From the Back Cover
The Most Authoritative Resource on the MySQL Database Available! Reviewed by the MySQL Development Team.
Get the most out of the MySQL database server--today’s most popular open source database--with help from this definitive guide. Take advantage of MySQL’s cross-platform support, independent storage engines, advanced permissions and security system, query caching, full-text indexing and searching, and much more. Reviewed by the MySQL database development team, MySQL: The Complete Reference explains in full detail how to use this customizable RDMS to support robust, reliable, mission-critical applications.
- Install, configure, and test a MySQL database on Linux/UNIX or Windows
- Use MySQL data types, statements, operators, and functions
- Manage databases and tables with the Data Definition Language (DDL)
- Add, delete, and query records using the Data Manipulation Language (DML)
- Take advantage of transactional support
- Implement MySQL’s five-tiered access control and privilege system
- Handle database optimization, backup, recovery, and replication
- Create applications in C, C++, Perl, Java, PHP, and other languages
Vikram Vaswani is the founder and CEO of Melonfire, a company specializing in Web design, development, and content creation for a variety of clients. He has also written extensively on open source technologies, including MySQL, Perl, Python, and PHP.