5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!!!
Published on November 14, 2008 by T. Sewell

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it.
I'll admit, I'm not very far into this game - but I doubt I'll get much further. It's just not holding my interest, and although some other reviews say that it picks up eventually, I don't really think I'm going to stick it out til then.

Published on February 1, 2009 by Brandy

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!!!, November 14, 2008
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I know I'm in the minority, but I hated Animal Crossing. It was so boring to me...I know this game is suppose to be similar but its a completly different experience. I've never played the first My Sims so I can't really compare the two, but believe me when I say this game is hard to put down. There is so much to do! The town people are hilarious, the mini games are so much fun (and there is quite a variety), and this game offers so much customization (did I spell that right?) I highly recommend this game. The replay value is high. You run errands, fish, search for essence to either build or make items, play mini games to make your money so you can buy furniture for your house (or you can sell the fish you catch)...the list goes on. My only complaint is that this game is way too short!! They could of been more creative with the storyline. But even after beating the game there is still stuff to do. I was on the fence about this game after all the mixed reviews concerning the first one but I must say this is 30 dollars well spent!

4.0 out of 5 stars More fun than the first My Sims for DS, November 14, 2008
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I just got this game a couple weeks ago. It took me a little bit to get into kind of a slow start), but now I am hooked. There are a lot more areas to open up, lots of characters to meet and lots of mini games. I really love the zoo and helping round up the critters (you take pictures of the animals you find and give them to the zookeeper, then he rounds up the animal and puts it back into the zoo). I'm not sure what percentage I am at right now (maybe about 38%), but I still have lots to do and discover with this game.

Wish it was a bit more like the My Sims for Wii where you actually get to design the houses, but as a DS game it is very entertaining.

If you liked the first My Sims DS and even some of the DS Harvest Moon games, I think you will like this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars "History will replace the word 'science' with the name 'F'"--Dr. F, February 10, 2009
mwreview "mwreview" (Northern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
In this Sims game, you are a popular resident of an island who's come back from vacation. The mayor greets you and returns your house key but, before you have a chance to settle in, a mysterious character in black steals much of the island's decorations, houses, and even the bridge. Your ultimate mission is to find the culprit while completing mini missions and games along the way. This is the first "MySims" game I've played. I don't really like the characters looking like children even though most are adults and some are middle aged or older, but oh well.

Game Play: First off, you do not have to worry about keeping your personal needs levels up. There's not a shower or toilet around. You don't even have to sleep although you can sleep which is useful for fast-forwarding the game if you need to be in a certain time of the day to complete a mission or play a mini-game. Some of the items in the game are useless. You go into people's houses or shops and you can't use anything; you can't even sleep in their beds and sit in their chairs. Items that you buy (i.e. the pool table, pinball machine, etc) you can't even play! What's up with that?!

Mission: This game has a lot of weird science going on which, at first, seemed very odd but I ended up thinking it's kind of cool. You work with an 80 year-old professor named Dr. F who is very funny in his lines and mannerisms. The first thing he does is give you an Extractor that collects the Essences (raw materials that make up most things) that, when put in a Synth-O-Tron, will create items ("For science!"). Later, he will ask you to collect a variety of parts for another important invention which include a Perplexing Paw (see what I mean by "weird science"?). Your mini mission while working towards finding the culprit who stole from the island is to build up the kingdom again either from decorative items made in the Syth-O-Tron or from blueprints you collect for Torajiro (the very surly contractor) to create new houses or spruce up existing ones. I reached the five-star level before completing a lot of the building in the game (that reminds me of Sims Castaway with the mission being achieved before you find half the items) but, fortunately, the game does not end after completing the main mission!

Mini Games (with easy, normal, and hard levels): Most of the mini-games are fun, but there are a couple I could not stand.
Tennis--This was the first game I opened and I hated it! I could not win at this game, no way! I think I got as high as 2 points in the matches and could never top it (you need 11 points to win) which meant I got no Simoleons and no prizes or blueprints from this game.
Kayaking--Another difficult game. You have to use your stylus to steer and balance the kayak around a track. Very difficult, frustrating, and tiring. I didn't do well on this game either.
Ghost Zapping--This game is very easy. You just use you stylus to zap out ghosts that appear and also zap spheres that appear occasionally to earn extra points or make it easier to zap the ghosts.
Vegetable Vendor--Pretty easy game, though I don't think I ever managed platinum status. You fulfill orders for vegetables but be careful, some veggies look alike if you don't pay attention.

Dream Card--This game would be very frustrating but there are ways to ace this game. It is a memory game that uses number cards. What I do is bust out my dry erase calendar (a dry erase board is best because there is a card that will reshuffle the cards so you'll need to start from scratch and can erase everything easily with a dry erase board--a calendar is even better because there are 7 cards across just like there are 7 boxes for the days of the week across on the calendar). Just write in each card number in the appropriate box when it is turned over. The trick is, when it is your turn and you turn over a card that you don't know where the pair of is, do not turn over another card you do not know (unless it's the first turn of the game, of course). Turn over a card you know is wrong so as not to potentially give away an answer to your opponent. One thing I don't like about this game is the time it takes to reveal the bonus cards. Unlike the game scoring, you cannot speed this up by touching the screen with the stylus.

Snowball Fighting--This game is fun, although I can't seem to get platinum status. Hit snowmen with snowballs--the blue ones go down with one ball, the red ones need two, the gold ones need three. Definitely get the special yellow snowman (ha, ha, yellow snow) to get an unlimited snowball arsenal. You can also play against an opponent which is tough.
Constellation--This game had the potential of being one of the best. You draw the constellation you see using four stars of different colors. The problem is, there seems to be a glitch with one of the constellations using the yellow star. Even when drawn correctly, it is rejected. I have not found an alternative way of drawing it to get around it so, when playing this game, try to get a game that does not use the yellow star. Another tip: zap as many shooting stars as possible as it will really help your score.
Balloon Presents--Like the veggie game only you don't see the balloon order when you're filling it; you have to remember it.
Fishing--Not really a mini-game, but a side game. It is very frustrating. You have to make certain movements with the lure to attract certain fish. So many times I couldn't get anything. Aaaak!

Summary: Overall, I thought the game was fun and challenging (although, a bit too challenging with some of the mini games) despite being a little odd at times. It was exciting seeing new houses appear and the new characters move in ("If you build it, they will come"), although you cannot be creative in designing the houses, you just choose where to put them. You can decorate your house, though. You do not have to ace all the mini games to complete the mission, which was good for me. Also, the game does not end after the main mission is completed; in fact, you get a new mission! Some of the characters are pretty cool, too. It is not the best Sims game I've ever played, but it was entertaining.

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it., February 1, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)

I love Animal Crossing, loved the original Sims, loved Sims 2 for DS. This is a genre I'm usually into, but this one just kinda feels like a knockoff - some game thrown together by a no-name company to cash in on a trendy genre, not something that's actually a part of the Sims series. Right now in the game, just about all I can do is combine "essences" to make stuff and place it in the town. This would be much more interesting if I knew what I was trying to accomplish in doing this - putting random stuff in random places just isn't that exciting, especially since right now I have very limited control over what I can actually make.

The minigames are okay, but not good enough to carry the game. And it takes forever to run around the kingdom - which is always an issue in this type of game, but again if I felt like there were a reason for me to run to a particular place it wouldn't be so annoying.

Overall, this game starts off very slowly with minimal plot to introduce the characters and overall structure, then sets you free with a minimal number of things you're capable of doing and little direction as to why you're doing them or what would be the best way to go about doing them. It feels very slow and pointless, and I've lost interest almost before I've started.

And as a side note - why is it called Kingdom, and why is there a king? If you're going to sell a game like that, at least have the decency to make it medieval-themed. That would definitely have bumped up the novelty factor some.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Game - Lacks Replay Value, June 15, 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
My Sims Kingdom is similar to the original My Sims game for the Nintendo DS. You have to help a king with his kingdom.
The tasks in this game are pretty good, if you get stuck it can be frustrating though. After a few hours of playing you might get bored because you basically do the same things over and over again. There are mini games which you can always replay, but they're just OK.
The characters in the game are funny and the locations are pretty cool, too. This game just lacks replay value. If you liked the original My Sims, then I'd recommend this game for you, if you haven't then I don't think you need to buy this game. It is not a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lot's To *EXPLORE* And Do!, March 23, 2009
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I'm enjoying the MY SIMS KINGDOM for the DS, but I can see why some people would lose interest.

There's lot's to do but very little by way of action. Most of it consists of running around to the different towns, meeting different people, and running errands for them to get presents and stuff. There's also mini-games like tennis (really fun), kayaking, fishing and others, so that breaks up the monotony a bit. And I haven't unlocked all of the mini-games yet.

I love the cuteness as you create your own Sim to represent you in the game. You can choose the hair, eye and skin, color and shape. And you get to clothe them, too! I also like the fact that you can take your time to do the exploring and other stuff in the game, so it's very relaxing. You can also decorate your house with items that you either receive or purchase from the various stores around town.

But if you're more into action games then this might not be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive-I couldn't put it down, October 10, 2010
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I love this game. My favorite part is gathering animals for the zoo. The animals are cute and hillarious. Snowball fights were fun. The game moves fast at times, and slow at times. I have only played 1 other sims game, sims castaway. I think they are very different, and both have great mini games.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Sims Kingdom for preteens, April 30, 2009
E. White "ej" (cloquet, mn United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
My daughters love this game. It's keeping their attention for weeks, but at the same time, isn't too difficult. They are 8 and 9. I'm a fan of Sims PC, so I'm happy their enjoying this EA game on their DS.

3.0 out of 5 stars My 9 year old son said it was okay, March 18, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
My 9 year old son said it was okay. He thought it was a little hard (not advanced) but some of the obstacles were too difficult and didn't make sense.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a complete waste, May 6, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I spent eight dollars on this game in hopes of an entertaining and enjoyable game, which it was... For two hours.
And I'm not someone who plays videogames often. I beat this game and the extra game in less than 24 hours. It was fun while it lasted, but not worth what I spent. If you love sims, I recommend getting it for the wii, not the ds.

MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS
MySims Kingdom - Nintendo DS by Electronic Arts (Nintendo DS)
$19.99 $9.95