5.0 out of 5 stars Very Fun Seek and Find~Solve the Crime Puzzle Game
Published on December 22, 2008 by kindred spirit

+ Pros:

+ Very addictive gameplay
+ Builds in difficulty
+ Unlockable awards
+ 3 modes of play

- Cons:

- Repetitive levels
- Game can be beaten in 2-3 days
- A carbon copy of Amazing Adventures: The Forgotten Ruins.

Published on January 31, 2009 by The Matrix Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Fun Seek and Find~Solve the Crime Puzzle Game, December 22, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mystery P.I. Portrait of a Thief - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Yet another twist on seek and find mystery games. I got it for my birthday and played it 3 straight hours yesterday. At first I thought it was going to be too easy but I found it is not. Like usual you have to find items in messy cluttered rooms. What makes it hard is a few of the items I don't know what the item is. Hard to find when you don't know what you are looking for. Just when you get them all found then you have another puzzle to solve and time is ticking away.

Make sure to look for a key and a paintbrush in each picture as they unlock free play games.

I very much like this game. I also suggest Cate West game and Mystery Files. It's fun to have 3 different ones going at the same time. Keeps the mind sharp.

Five stars for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars This I tell ya brother, if you've played one, you've played the other..., January 31, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
+ Pros:

+ Very addictive gameplay
+ Builds in difficulty
+ Unlockable awards
+ 3 modes of play

- Cons:

- Repetitive levels
- Game can be beaten in 2-3 days
- A carbon copy of Amazing Adventures: The Forgotten Ruins.

In Mystery P.I., you play the part of a detective assigned to finding an art thief. Each level has a picture with several objects littered throughout it. The goal is to find all the items on the list before time runs out. The time limit is very generous, and there is an option to turn off the timer for newer players.

If you're unable to find an item, a "HINT" option shows the general area to find an object, but using this subtracts points from your final score. Tapping the screen too many times can also subtract points.

At first, the items to find are described clearly:
2 coin stacks
3 lighters

However, as the game progresses, the descriptions become more challenging:
2 Artist's models
Wrist restraints

In addition to the items on the list, each level has a paint brush and a key hidden in it.

Collecting all the paintbrushes unlocks locations in Unlimited Seek & Solve. This mode allows you to visit each location and find every single hidden item. As you find items on the list, new clues take their place until all the items are found.

Collecting all the keys unlocks the games in Mini-Game Free Play.

The Mini-Games are:

Memory Match
Jigsaw Puzzle
Tile Rotate
Mah-Jongg Match
Word Puzzle

Now if you fancy yourself an expert, there are 10 awards to earn:

(1) Golden Key - awarded for finding all 17 keys.
(2) Golden Paintbrush - awarded for finding all 17 paintbrushes.
(3) Golden Painting - awarded for completing "Find the Art Collection" mode.
(4) Golden Magnifying Glass - awarded for completing "Unlimited Seek & Solve".
(5) Golden Sculpture - awarded for reaching the rank of Master P.I. at 10 million points.
(6) Golden Frames - awarded when you reach 15,000 points in Memory Match.
(7) Golden Jigsaw Puzzle Piece - awarded when you get 18,000 points in Jigsaw Puzzle.
(8) Golden Rotating Tile - awarded when you get 18,000 points in Tile Rotate.
(9) Golden Mah-Jongg Tile - awarded when you get 18,000 points in Mah-Jongg Match.
(10) Golden Word - awarded when you get 15,000 points in Word Puzzle.

I must admit, this is a very addictive game. The gameplay is very easy to pick up - I didn't even need to read the directions.

One problem was the repetition. After unlocking the first few levels, I found myself revisiting the same pictures, but with a different list of items to find. This made the game a little boring - not a good sign.

However, my main complaint is that this game is a clone of "Amazing Adventures - The Forgotten Ruins." Both were produced by Popcap, this game came out about one month later, but the gameplay is almost identical. Many of the same objects are found in this game, the same hints, and the same requirements to unlock awards.

If you check the image I uploaded of the instruction manuals side-by-side, they are almost identical. Only two of the Mini-Games were changed.

If I hadn't played Amazing Adventures first, I would have given Mystery P.I. 4 stars without hesitation - but I had to take away another star for the lack of originality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Us "Oldies", January 8, 2009
I received "Mystery P.I." for Christmas and have been enjoying it ever since. I'm in my 70's and use these games for mental exercise as well as fun. I was delighted with this game because it allowed me to turn off the timer and play in "Relaxed Mode". It is an "I Spy" clone with a twist and being able to play it at my own speed has made this one of my favorite DS games.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Seek and Find Games, You'll love this!, January 19, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First of all, I knew I would like this game, as I have become a fan of PopCap made games, especially Amazing Adventures: The Forgotten Ruins. I also like MillionHeir and these are very much like MYSTERY PI: PORTRAIT OF A THIEF. As you become the PI, Private Investigator, it is your job to track an art thief to get back some missing paintings that were stolen. As you collect awards you will meet new characters along the way and unlock some mini-games like in the two above-mentioned games. There are mini games like tile flip and Mahjong tiles that are fun to play when you need a break from the mystery.

If you love "I Spy" type games, then you will love this. The difference is that although you do have many things to find in each picture, MYSTERY PI results in taking you somewhere else so it is a connected story unlike "I Spy". One trick I'll let you in on is that there is a key and a paintbrush in each picture puzzle, and if you find them, they will unlock free play games. It does seem easy at first but every once and a while, you come upon something they ask you to find that you may not have any clue as to what it is. It happened to me and maybe it was just my lack vocabulary knowledge but I don't think so. MYSTERY PI is well worth the money and I highly recommend it for great fun that keeps you thinking but doesn't stress as far as dexterity and timed battles and shooting skills.
Submitted by K. Haney for Amazon VINE, January, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Opinion from a Novice Player, January 24, 2009
R. Crane (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had a Nintendo DS since September 2008, and no previous experience with video games. Most games I have explored fall into one of a few categories: games which require skills of moving objects from place to place or solving puzzles, and games which tell more of a story--mysteries--which must be solved. Even these require puzzle solving and moving objects. But they are more fun. The best of these I have tried is Professor Layton and the Curious Village.

So, from my limited repertoire of game expertise, I find that the Mystery PI, Portrait of a Thief is a good and absorbing game. The purpose is to become a PI and solve the mystery of missing paintings by building a portrait of the thief. For those with vast experience in these games, this one seems to offer all sorts of hidden goodies and things to unlock. For the novice player, like me, it is fairly easy to follow and unravel, though more time may be needed and I recommend for impatient players like me, the use of cheat sheets. Once you grasp the concept of what you are expected to do, when you see the problem again, in another form, it becomes a lot easier to solve. For me, these sheets act as learning tools.

This is one of the better and more fun games on the market for Nintendo DS and I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Theme - Exact same game play as Amazing Adventures, January 15, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is exactly the same game play as Amazing Adventures. The theme, of course, is a mystery involving lost art, but nothing new added.

The mini games are the same, Mahjong tiles, puzzle pieces, tile flip and now they added word find. Some may find these mini games to be repetitive and simplistic.

I finished this in one weekend playing on and off a chapter at a time.

This game is becoming increasingly hard to find in stores and online. So if you love seek-n-solve games and you are contemplating this one and you find it, just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars DS seek and solve game, December 16, 2008
GIRN "GI RN" (portage, in usa) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I love this game. Can't put it down since I bought it. If you like seek and solve games, this is one you must have. You are given a list of objects that need to be found in the picture, and you keep moving on to the next one. There is a goal you are trying to reach, usually solving a mystery of sorts.

5.0 out of 5 stars works for a wide age range, January 21, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love how this game is designed for a wide age range. There are several mini puzzles that work for my young sons (7 & 5) and the mystery case works for my tween neice. Everything works for me. I can waste plenty of time trying to beat my best score in the mini games. You start by matching tiles (4 options: identical, similar, related or random) and have to work your way up to unlock the rest.

I have Millionheir (another good mystery game) and they both work well for both adults and kids. I'd give this one an edge since it is offers more options. It has a handy "pause" feature since you are playing against the clock.

My only complaint about not figuring out how to edit a choosen profile has been answered here by someone who kindly pointed out the steps. Thanks!

This game is worth the price and it sure makes waiting on line a breeze!

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a Matching Game than a Detective game, January 29, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tried this game hoping that it would be a detective story in which you had to solve clues to find the bad guy. Instead, this is another version of a "find objects in the picture game". There are some connecting screens that attempt to make this into some kind of story, but the entire game is has the same game play.

You are presented with a city layout (in 3-d), which has certain buildings highlighted with the number of "clues" in each building (crime scene). When you click on a building you are presented with a picture that that has dozens of items buried in the picture details. The top screen indicates which items you have to find to complete the "clues".

PROS:
Once you finish a level, the in-between games are unlocked, and are more interesting than the main "story". These are matching or puzzles, but they aren't boring.

The graphics and design of the program are nice and well executed.

CONS:
The game play gets tedious VERY fast. A small screen like the DS is not the place to hide dozens of hidden items. It is hard on the eyes, the brain, and the patience.

There is nothing here that is unsuitable for kids, but I doubt that most kids would have the patience to ever complete more than a couple of levels.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking quality, February 9, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Disappointed with this game. There wasn't enough clairty in the pictures. Sometimes I wasn't sure if I had clicked on the right item in the search. Could not tell what it was!! Having played the Millionaire game I thought this would be the same but no comparsion in quality.

Mystery P.I. Portrait of a Thief - Nintendo DS