The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 11 (Ring of Terror / The Indestructible Man / Tormented / Horrors of Spider Island)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Extras include theatrical trailers for all of the films save Ring of Terror; a brief interview with Tormented director Bert I. Gordon, his daughter Susan, and star Joseph Turkel, and wrap-arounds from the syndicated Mystery Science Hour, with Mike Nelson as an obsequious Jack Perkins, are also included. However, the best supplement is the second MST3K Jukebox, which compiles some of the show's funniest and most memorable musical numbers, including "Sidehackin',"Joel and the 'bots' garage-rock tribute to The Sidehackers and the incredible "Patrick Swayze Christmas" from Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. --Paul Gaita
Top Customer Reviews
Episode 206- THE RING OF TERROR (with short: THE PHANTOM CREEPS PT 3)
This black-and-white (b/w) 1962 "thriller" features the largest group of the oldest medical school students ever found at one time in any US college. After the "thrilling" opening in which a man endlessly searches for his cat, "Puma", the film unfolds a less-than-suspenseful tale about a fearless medical student who must come to grips with the one thing that does frighten him. The film stars no one, little happens, the comic relief in the film revolves around cheap shots taken at an overweight couple, and the terrifying climax is more likely to induce sleep paralysis than fear paralysis. Why do the students all behave like undergraduates when this is post-graduate medical school? Who cares, the whole thing is so inept, it's hilarious! The MST3K host segments are all top-notch funny, particularly the "old school sketch" and the sketch recreating the autopsy scene from the film. The short is another installment of Phantom Creeps with Bela Lugosi and the MST3K writers get lots of great comedy mileage out of that one. This is another GREAT episode from legendarily hilarious season 2. Don't miss it!
Episode 409- THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN (with short: UNDERSEA KINGDOM PT 2) Lon Chaney, Jr. is one of those movie greats that didn't always say no when offered a less than stellar role, especially it seems as available parts dried up for him as he got older.Read more ›
RING OF TERROR: Quite a few of these reviews were written BEFORE this set was released. I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem. In my set (purchased directly from Barnes and Noble), "Ring Of Terror" is practically unwatchable. It is NOT in black and white! The entire movie, including daytime scenes, are in dark blue and black. The only time I could actually see the actors was when they wore white shirts. I've never seen Joel before buying the sets, and like him almost as much as Mike Nelson. The rifftrax are hilarious and I wanted so much to see how they fit in the movie, but I simply couldn't. It was too dark. Most of the time I had practically a black screen. The Host segments were clear as a bell. I loved the take on how OLD these "students" were.
Okay, that being said, I really enjoyed this set.
HORRORS OF SPIDER ISLAND. One of my favorites because it makes great fodder for Mike and the Bots. The plot revolves around a bunch of really sad looking, plump Euro-tarts and their manager, hired to "dance." Okay, one of the funniest plot points occurs when they're in flight and THEIR JET CATCHES FIRE AND DIVES, NOSE FIRST INTO THE SEA!....Then, we see all of the passengers on a life raft (??), without a bruise. The mindless twits murmer and in no time find land. We see the gals walking to shore still wearing shoes and holding handbags. The accent of one woman changes so often it's a hoot. A foreigner attempting a Southern accent. Then the horror ensues and Mike and Bots have a field have a field day. Love it!
TORMENTED: I had a slight problem with the movie soundtrack and trying to hear the riffs. But Joel and the Bots do a great job.Read more ›
Ring of Terror. A film about as terrifying as stale bread, it is about a college student (who looks like he is middle age) who goes into a crypt as a faternity initation, and dies of fright. A good Season 2 episode.
2. The indistructible man. The great horror film star Lon Chaney Jr stars as a convict who is executed. Two scientists take his body for expriments. They bring him back to life and he kills them. He then goes out to kill those responisble for his execution. Joel and the bots roast this one without mercy.
3. Tormented. A Bert I Gordon "classic". The main character, Tom Stewart is engaged to be married. His former girlfreind, Vi, is upset about his engagement, and one night when they are on top of a lighthouse, she falls to her death, and Tom did nothing to save her. Her ghost starts to haunt him, saying "Tom Stewart killed me over and over. Tom kills a man who finds out about what happened atop the lighthouse, and Tom dies after falling from the lighthouse. Another great Joel episode.
4. The Horrors of Spider Island. The next to last episode of MST3k, the plot has a plane load of women that crash into the ocean. They all survive and make it to an island with their male escort. The island has spiders as scary as plush toys, the effects so lame. Mike and the bots really let this joke of a film have it.
All in all, a great set. Keep them comming, Rhino.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I received it quickly and in the stated condition. I would highly recommend this seller! A fun, fun series of riffed movies by a group of men that keeps delivering wonderfully... Read morePublished on February 7, 2014 by Ceri
All four movies make me happy, but I'm especially looking forward to "Horrors of Spider Island". Read morePublished on January 28, 2014 by Beammeuplori
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Drama
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Television
- Movies & TV > Classic TV
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Classics
- Movies & TV > TV