Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on December 24, 2013
Hercule Poirot becomes interested in a case of a murdered man stuffed into a spanish chest. While it looks like a close case, Poirot investigates further as he believes the police have the wrong man in custody.

This short mystery seemed pretty grisly. Imagine a dead body stuffed in a chest, with blood staining the rug below. Considering how all of the previous short stories by Agatha Christie that I've read have been a mystery without a corpse, this was a interestingly different mystery. I was completely perplexed by the mystery and couldn't figure out the killer before Poirot.

Poirot feels quite nostalgic in this mystery. He calls on his secretary to help him and seems to be missing "Hasting's ineptitude". It was a different side of Poirot that I haven't seen before and it made him more personable.

The Mystery of the Spanish Chest was another intriguing mystery from Agatha Christie, and has only reinforced in my mind that she's my favorite author. Another flawless, intriguing mystery.
on March 13, 2014
Of the 82 detective novels written by Dame Agatha Christie, I have tracked down and read 79 of them. Each were unique and intriguing. Her short stories are just as wonderful. This one didn't disappoint and left me guessing until the end. I've read many of the great detective writers and in the case of about 50% of them, I've figured it out before the Big Reveal. Not so, with Dame Agatha! In fact, never could I guess. This one was no different.
Well worth reading!
on July 10, 2012
I found this book to be very slow and uneventful. I would not have chosen this book if I had known the whole story was Hercule Poirot talking to himself with very little interaction with any of the other characters. If u want a book you can read in a lazy afternoon, this book may be for you. Otherwise skip this one and go on to a better Agatha Christie book. She has many fabulous books on Amazon to choice from.
on August 31, 2012
Was Major Rich really a murderer? Poirot couldn't resist checking into this strange way to do a person in. When the body had turned up in a chest and a gala event had been held with such charming people all around it, that gets Poirot's juices flowing to solve this macabre tale of murder. Hercule does get such pleasure out of these situations, doesn't he?
on May 16, 2014
I just could not put this one down. Poirot has done it again. I am American-English and I love these British stories I live in the west and like to read them as historic events but the Agatha Christe with Poirot are pure fun and enjoyable.
on November 18, 2012
Once again, a fabulously crafted short story with a brilliant twist at the end. A wonderful quick read and great price, well worth it. I will definitely will be buying another one of her books
on June 12, 2013
I have been reading Agatha Christie for many years and as usual this Hercule Poirot short story lives up to my expectations of her wit and writing ingenuity. Enjoy.
on April 7, 2014
Always a good read...Christie never fails....who done it with classic Peroit is tricky and absolving...good suspenseful for all readers...worth the time.
on February 20, 2015
I've seen at least two 'versions of this novel on television, but have only seen one 'version of it in print. Very readable and challenging, as usual.
on December 21, 2012
Hercule Poirot never misses. Have read most of Agatha Christie's books. This one compares to all her great writings. Would read it again