Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

92%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 26, 2006
Finally, my copy arrived from Amazon two days ago. This album is brilliant, continuing in the tradition of Only and Endless Road, although a bit more measured and melodical than the previous. The albums first two tracks are really the only fast paced songs on the album, so they kind of fool you about the tone of the entire album when you first listen to it.

Tommy is obviously focusing much more on songwriting as opposed to performing on this album, and there are some real gems here. The Mystery, Cowboy's Dream, Lewis & Clark, Digger's Waltz, Antonella's Birthday, That's the Spirit, Footprints, and Keep it Simple are all great compositions and that's where Tommy really shines on this album. Even though some of these songs have been around awhile, most of them are new and just add to the growing catalog of timeless songs Tommy has given us.

I have had several moments where I tear up listening to these songs, which is the true measure of a great song for me. As always, thank you Tommy.
on September 23, 2006
You can't truly appreciate what Tommy Emmanuel can do on the guitar without seeing him in concert. Still, "The Mystery," the third in Tommy Emmanuel's series of mostly solo acoustic work is intensely satisfying and great listening, whatever your level of exposure to "TE". While many finger-style guitarists are able to generate a lot of notes with their solo playing, none compare with TE in the way he serves up song after song of really, really good music. These songs are great melodies played flawlessly (and apparently effortlessly) by a master of his art.

Do yourself a big favor--buy this CD. Trust me.
on September 17, 2006
I think we own every DC ever made by Tommy, even the obscure stuff (anyone remember "The Day the Fingerpickers Took Over the World" with Chet Atkins?). You will never go wrong with a Tommy Emmuel CD. His music, while following a familiar theme of folksy/country style with the occasional rock-ish tune thrown in, is ever-new while still feeling comfortable. Kind of like wearing your favorite slippers. Tommy is known as an instrumentalist, so the odd real song (as opposed to a piece, which is what you call an instrumental item)is an interesting surprise on any of his CDs. The song "Walls" is one of those nice surprises. This CD sounds more introspective than many of his others -- it reminds me of the his earlier music, which was almost purely guitar. There are very few, if any pieces on this CD that have more than just Tommy and his guitar playing. I can tell even now that this will get a lot of play in my house. And yes, the previous reviewer was right; Tommy Emmanuel is one of, if not the, best guitar players in the world.
on May 12, 2007
What a player! This is a must have for any guitar fan! It's hard to believe all of this is done by finger picking. Chet Atkins found a gold mine in Tommy Emmanuel! This guy can flat play! He is so good that I don't care for the songs that have vocals. All I want to hear is his guitar! This is the first CD of his that I have bought, and I will be buying the rest of his arsenal. I was totally impressed and I'm more of an electric guitar fan. But, I apprciate any talented virtuoso styles. If you like guitar music, then check this guy out!
on January 10, 2007
I just recently was exposed to this great artist when I saw a TV special on PBS. He impressed me so much I bought "Mystery", and after listening to it bought a second CD, "Midnight Drive". I am amazed at the sounds Tommy produces with his guitar on "Mystery". The music is beautiful and thoughtful. His music has a classical feeling, while remaining at grass roots level. No guiitar music lover should be without "Mystery" for their collection.
on January 6, 2007
The Mystery is one of Tommy E.'s very best recordings. Some of his earlier recordings have been produced poorly, even though always brilliantly played by Tommy Emmanuel, one of the top acoustic guitarists on the planet. The Mystery is a beautifully recorded, sonorous masterwork. If you appreciate the acoustic guitar in the hands of a master, get this CD.

And if you EVER get to see Tommy Emmanuel in person... just do it. His energy and onstage persona is second to none. His long efforts at practicing his craft make him a treasured gift to those of us lucky enough to see him perform live. Thank you, Tommy, for enhancing our lives and just being you.
on January 9, 2007
Tommy Emmanuel is THE top guitar player. His music is great to listen to and his concerts are amazing. He puts his soul into his music and you can definately hear that in this CD. A must listen to.
on January 30, 2013
Tommy performed LIVE last night here in Aspen - I enjoyed listening to his music on this CD, but actually seeing him pick those guitar strings with BOTH hands was just amazing. If you truly enjoy listening to a master guitarist, you'll enjoy Tommy's music - but try to see him LIVE sometime to really appreciate his skill.
on January 3, 2007
I'm not a professional musician I just have an good ear for tone, a sense of rhythm and I enjoy good music. This CD has it, fun fast guitar licks, wide range of sound, a toe-tappin rhythm and even some mellow pieces to relax with. I would recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys a good acoustic guitar sound and some easy to listen to music.
on May 15, 2014
I purchased the most recent Tommy Emmanuel CD as a Christmas gift for my boss who is a big fan. He said the CD was great (acoustic guitar) and appreciated the gift. Tickets to the Tommy Emmanuel show in October 2013 were included with the CD so he was happy to be able to prolong the experience of the concert. I was happy to purchase the CD at the Amazon price and have it quickly arrive in perfect condition! : )