5.0 out of 5 stars Classic John Hiatt
This is a truly great CD, one of John Hiatt's best yet.
Over the past couple years he has seemed to slow down and go for more folk/country-ish CD's (Same Old Man and Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymns for example). Not to say they were bad records, they just showed the older John Hiatt seeming to slow down.
On this CD John Hiatt seems to be going back to his roots...
Published on October 16, 2012 by Billy

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT HIS FINEST HOUR 3 1/2 STARS
John Hiatt is a frustrating artist to me, he can write a witty scorching soul/blues/rocker and follow it up with some cornpone crap. He can write a deep heartfelt ballad and then write a cliche filled snoozer. I have been a fan since Bring
Published on November 3, 2012 by M. Northuis

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic John Hiatt, October 16, 2012
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (Audio CD)
This is a truly great CD, one of John Hiatt's best yet.
On this CD John Hiatt seems to be going back to his roots of rock and blues seen in Bring the Family, Tiki Bar, and Walk On (to name a few). "Bite Marks" and "Alright Now" are two highlights of his blues and rock while "I Just Don't know What to say" is a classic John Hiatt ballad.
I strongly recommend this CD for any John Hiatt fan, or any person looking to get into his music. This is clearly a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (Audio CD)
When I heard Hiatt was putting out a new album, I immediately pre-ordered it. It arrived on it's release date and I listened to it 5 times straight through throughout the course of the day. Once again, Hiatt didn't disappoint. I think that this album is overall better than Open Road but not quite as good as Dirty Jeans (but that one is a tough act to beat). While there may be one or two songs I'll consider skipping when it comes on in my car, almost every song is just a real joy to listen to. Once again, Kevin Shirley nails the production. The album sounds great. Highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT HIS FINEST HOUR 3 1/2 STARS, November 3, 2012
M. Northuis (Greensboro, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (Audio CD)
The Family and Slow Turning, I lost track of him for a time after Little Head. The albums Open Road and Dirty Jeans... brought me back into the fold, both are brilliant and have some of his deepest songwriting on them; Homeland, Like a Freight Train, Hold On For Your Love, and Down Around My Place are all classics.
I find it hard to understand why there are so many 5 star reviews for this album,
there are scant few songs that can hold a candle to his best work. We're Alright Now
is a keeper, Give It Up and One of Them Damn Days are well written songs, but I
find this CD to be his most boring since Same Old Man, SORRY.
I am still waiting for an album by Mr. Hiatt that can stand next to Walk On- I am still a huge fan, just not of this particular collection of songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain, Simple Fun, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (Audio CD)
John Hiatt has done it again, which, to those who follow him, should come as no surprise. Pretty much since "Bring the Family," Mr. Hiatt has been delivering fun, relate-able, and sometimes dark songs, with his quirky sense of humor. This album has everything from a bluesy lament of the modern age ("Blues Can't Even Find Me"), a brush with masochism ("Bite Marks"), rockers about motorcycle accidents ("It All Comes Back Someday"), and a promise that it all will end in tears ("I Know How to Lose You"). At the very least, I love the way Hiatt says "Funyuns" in "Wood Chipper." Pop it in your car, and you'll end up driving around the block a couple of times, just so you can finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE CAVEMAN commeth and takes John along for a great ride, February 19, 2013
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (Audio CD)
Like most reviewers, I love John Hiatt. He is the most underrated/under-appreciated songwriter in these United States. As much as I am loyal to Hiatt's work. I must admit that "Master", "SOM" & Open Road, had me a little worried. After all he is cranking out 4 albums in 5 years. I thought most of the three aforementioned were showing John a "little long in tooth" Then came a renaissance with Dirty jeans / Mudslide hymns and Kevin Shirley. At first probably not the ideal pairing. (SURPRISE!) Albeit a little polished , But in a good way - instrumentally John and band mates sound GREAT!. Then Kevin tops it all by bringing back some of the fun with Mystic Pinball. I just love Bite Marks ( "need no teeth to eat my beef") the "Stonsey" - You're all the reason I need. - Crunchy Blues of My Business and the ominous Wood Chipper. Great clever lyrics, Great music, all from the Great John Hiatt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Offering by John Hiatt, October 21, 2012
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (MP3 Music)
Once again, Hiatt shows he's still one of the very best singer/songwriters around. From the black humor of 'Wood Chipper' (Nick Cave eat your heart out!) to the gorgeous ballad, "I Just Don't Know What To Say" and on through the Stones-like rocker "Bite Marks, Hiatt delivers one musical gem after another. If you're not a Hiatt fan yet this collection might just remedy that. Great songs, great guitar work and strong authentic vocals. This has just got to be one of the year's best recordings...period.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mystic Pinball Wizard, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (Audio CD)
John Hiatt is the wizard of rock n roll. He's the musician's songwriter, the rockabilly rockmaster who never fails to execute with songs that just get down to your ankle bones. Buy Mystic Pinball; I dare you to be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the best, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (Audio CD)
Who writes a song better than John Hiatt? Just a master at turning a phrase and baking it all inside a great rhythm groove.

I think this may be his most "complete" release in years. Band is firing on all cylinders and have great content to work with.

Big question now is will "We're alright now" be a hit for John or is it going to take a female country singer to take it to the top of the charts? Maybe a Bonnie Raitt comeback??!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just saw him in concert........, October 11, 2012
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (Audio CD)
If you've never had the good fortune to see John Hiatt in concert, you've been deprived of a music lovers' dream come true. My wife and I saw John at the Barre Opera House in Vermont on Oct. 9th. To say that my expectations had been surpassed would be a huge understatement. I'm 64 years old and have been listening to recorded music since I was five. I like to think that my musical tastes have been refined and fine tuned. It's come down to this : John Hiatt is by far and away the most talented songwriter/performer I have EVER listened to. I realize that is just my opinion, but I am sure there are multitudes that would agree. After seeing the show the other night, the only thing I was left wanting for was MORE!! Simply put...INCREDIBLE!

Do yourself a favor. Buy Mystic Pinball and then start backing up and purchase every one of John's records for the last 30 years. It would be like hitting the lottery of joyfull musical experience. The man is a National treasure. But truly, it goes beyond that. He's a Planetary treasure. I like him. :))

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 13, 2014
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (MP3 Music)
Loved John Hiatt for years. Good but not tje best.

Mystic Pinball
Mystic Pinball by John Hiatt (Audio CD - 2012)