5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced and heartpounding
I feel like no matter what I write in this review, it's not going to do this book justice.

Published on December 3, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Read
This is the second in the series, and it was about the same as the first. A decent read without anything to stand out that makes it above average. I was surprised that the author did not take more time to develop the characters in this, the second book.
Published 18 months ago by B. Whittington

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced and heartpounding, December 3, 2011
This review is from: Myth (Guardians of the Word Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

I read "Chosen", the first Guardians of the Word book, a couple months back and absolutely fell in love. I raved endlessly about the author's flawless writing and the amazing world she's built in this science-fiction/futuristic fantasy series. It's hard to pick up the 2nd book in any series because there's always the worry it won't measure up to the first.

But then, you have some sequels that DO measure up. "Myth" is one of them. I devoured this book in two days when I had other stuff I should have been doing (what? I'd been waiting a long time to see what happened next :P) From page one, I was sucked back into the Dain and Dynan's world. This book felt like it was more split between the twins (whereas in Chosen, it was a lot more of Dynan's POV), and I really liked that because I built a relationship with Dain. A lot of hard decisions are made in Myth -- the kind of decisions that make your heart pound and your eyes tear up as you read. Within the space of just a few chapters, Dynan and Dain are forced to grow up much too soon as they realize that not everyone they know and love is as they seem... "Myth" has a cliffhanger of an ending (darn it) that left me dying for the next one.

I highly, highly recommend this book for both fantasy/sci-fi lovers and everyone else. I was never a fan of this genre before I read Chosen -- it's just that good. I can't wait for the next!

4.0 out of 5 stars Darker and more character-driven than the first, a great read, August 17, 2012
Book Info: Genre: Science Fantasy Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received received a free ebook copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Behind the veil that separates the living from the dead, awaits the teeming horde. Evil bides its time, probing for weakness. It slithers across the divide, searching for the weak, the insane, the criminal mind, and even the average citizen of Cobalt, commanding them. The order is to kill. The target...

Seventeen-year-old Dynan Telaerin's biggest challenge is keeping the woman he loves and the brother he adores from being in the same room at the same time. Liselle Tremault and Dain Telaerin despise one another, forcing Dynan to choose between them, but a murder plot against him abruptly trumps other concerns. Visions of the destruction of civilization follow, turning shadowy dreams into the possibility of terrible reality. The lines blur between what is evil and what is good as one seeks to destroy him and the other seeks to delay his future. The methods each side employs to attain their goals are remarkably similar, leaving Dynan in a desperate race for his life.

Myth, the second book of the Guardians of the Word fantasy series considers the complications of truth and intention, where one may not be conducive to the other and where some evil is necessary to negate others

My Thoughts: I read the first book in this series over a year ago, so I re-read it before starting this book to remind myself of the plot. There are actually five books now available in this series - Chosen, Myth, Telepath, Legend and Union, with three more due in the future - and I'm hoping to get them all read this weekend.

The editing on this one is a bit better, but there are still a number of errors, including dinning for "dining", sparring for "sparing", and road for "rode" (just off the top of my head). I have rated this one at four stars partially for this, and partially because it was just more difficult for me to read than the first one.

This book wasn't as "fast" a read as the first one, despite being a bit shorter; because it seems to be focused more on the character interactions than action, I think. It gives us a deeper understanding of the dynamic between Dain and Dynan - which is rapidly deteriorating throughout much of this book - as well as some of the people around them. The first book was pretty much action from start to finish, and this is a very different style. It is also very dark, and it looks like there are dark things coming in this series. It was, due to this, at times very difficult to read - definitely not a light and fluffy read. However, if you want a strongly character-driven story, set in a science-fantasy realm, then this series seems a strong choice. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Myth (Guardians of the Word Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
A little different twist on things - mixes old technology (swords) and new (laser rifles and space ships) and it seems perfectly reasonable. Liked it well enough to purchase the entire series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Read, December 26, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Myth, March 18, 2012
I don't like wordy reviews. Either you hated the book or it was great. This falls under the incredibily great heading. Keep up the excellent work and I will keep reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant 1st sequel to Chosen, December 10, 2011
The first sequel to Chosen - Myth - Picks up a year after the events of the first book and throws the reader head first into a new separate (Yet completely related) adventure, Dynan and Dain find themselves battling new and old foes alike and they find themselves faced with an enemy neither one could ever have possibly imagined, There is love, death,hate,greed, conspiracies and political intrigue and so much action you could easily forget this is just Jolea's second published book, It's written beautifully with the author again melding SciFi and Fantasy elements flawlessly to create a world where the impossible and the futuristic coexist and yet it is also a world where the very nature of being human can prove to be the biggest cause of a person's problems, Unlike some characters in some books these characters are not lost in the WOW factor that SciFi and Fantasy stories can often create. It is almost impossible not to relate to the characters and their stories - sure we may not have space shuttles and ships as described in this world and we may not have laser cutters or magical beings surrounding us but the human elements of the story are just as enjoyable as the other stuff.

This book just as Chosen was, Can be read and enjoyed by anybody even if you aren't a fan of the genre. The two things I enjoyed most about this book was the way all the mysteries and conspiracies folded and unfolded right before your eyes - Just when you think you've figured out what's going on and who's on a certain team - Who's good and who's evil Jolea takes the story in a direction where you hit a brick wall with your theory and are helpless to do anything but watch it fall to pieces, You create another theory and then bam another brick wall, You could probably read this story several times and still not know exactly what is happening, The only hope we have to find out what is going on is to wait for the next book. The other thing I particularly liked was the increased presence of Dain in the story - His increased involvement allowed for a deeper exploration of not only his character but also Dynan and in turn the rest of the family.

In closing may I just say this book is awesome and you should buy it (In paperback AND/OR Kindle) You won't regret it and on top of that the price is completely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Myth guardians of the word, March 5, 2012
This review is from: Myth (Guardians of the Word Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Totally enthralling, this is the second book in the series ,
Pick it up read it !!! I couldn't put it down the twins are in even more trouble this time around
another great sci fi book with totally human believable hero,s

3.0 out of 5 stars Myth (Guardians of the Word), May 18, 2014
This review is from: Myth (Guardians of the Word Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is part of a series. The book is interesting, but read it in order. Try it and perhaps you will enjoy it. I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, April 4, 2014
This review is from: Myth (Guardians of the Word Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I have read two books so far in this series and really have enjoyed each one. You have action and intrigue following the lives of the royal family in agent times. I am going to download the next book. High Fives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Myrh, March 18, 2014
This review is from: Myth (Guardians of the Word Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
O really enjoyed the characters and story immensely. I loved the characters and the plot. I can't believe the characters Kammon and Maralat conspired against Satan and Rain.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Myth (Guardians of the Word Book 2)
$2.99