5.0 out of 5 stars No Hype Necessary
Out of the zillion or so albums that will flood cyberspace and points beyond, here is a first album that deserves as much acclaim as it can get. Buy it, play it, love it and marvel at how great your stereo suddenly sounds. One listen was all I needed to be convinced that Sahara Smith has given us a treasure. Please buy this album and thank me later.
Published on September 1, 2010 by Kenneth I. Abramson

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad CD - A Big Disappointment
I heard of Sahara Smith the night she performed on a Prairie Home Companion in 2003, and was looking forward to her CD for a long time. She seemed sincere and had a nice voice and wrote two good songs, and performed them well then.

8 years later she releases this vague set of 'yeah, yeah, yeah' (never heard those lyrics in a song before!) mediocre, boring...
Published on June 17, 2011 by Greg

5.0 out of 5 stars No Hype Necessary, September 1, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, FINALLY SOMEONE WITH TALENT, September 2, 2010
This review is from: Myth of the Heart (Audio CD)
I am not the kind of person who enjoys a new artist songs that make no sense or can't make out what they are saying. All they do is make noice, Sahara is not one of them.

As soon as I heard the first song from Sahara's debut CD I fell into a trance through every song until the end. She captivates the essence of less is more in these songs. Great mixture of years past and the now in her lyrics and voice. I definitely will talk to everyone about this up and coming artist and her accomplishment in her CD.

Wishing her luck and fame in her future for she definitely has it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible emerging singer/songwriter, August 31, 2010
Phil S. (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Myth of the Heart (Audio CD)
Sahara is a wonderful emerging artist, singer/songwriter with a wonderful spirit and soulfulness. Her first album, although she has been performing for a few years. Just received the CD, enjoying very much. Just beautiful, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stunning., October 29, 2010
D. Baker (Shelton, Wa. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Myth of the Heart (Audio CD)
This is an incredible debut album. I don't believe it to be mere coincidence that the cover art on this CD is eerily similar to Emmylou Harris's major label debut 'Pieces of The Sky' thirtysome years ago. There is the same sparse beauty and pure soaring vocals that I have not heard since then. Perhaps this is more impressive in that Sahara is so very young and wrote all of the songs, all true gems.
If you are a fan of Emmylou, or Karin Berquist (Over The Rhine)or perhaps even some of the great Texas songwriters; Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark etc.. you will love this CD. It has the vocal beauty of the former and the oh so lonesome Texas feel of the latter.
Simply perfect, it reasonates with me like so few have. I cannot emphasize enough how truly spectacular this CD is. Spend the few dollars and find a rare treasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first album - easy on the bass drum, producers!, November 9, 2010
This review is from: Myth of the Heart (Audio CD)
I bought this album after hearing "Tin Man Town" on the local FM alternative station. It really impressed me, and the album is quite good. One complaint: whoever mixed the album put this really annoying 20 HZ or so bass drum in nearly every song, I guess to give a little "oomph" to car stereos and the like (which usually don't go that low). It sounds awful on my home system (with Velodyne 18 inch servo woofer) - very unnatural.

I don't if this was T-bone's idea or what, but it really messed up the sound. I will listen only in my car from here on out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable listen, looking forward to hearing more from this talented artist., June 25, 2011
This review is from: Myth of the Heart (Audio CD)
This artist has written a record full of delightful songs, that have given me a lot of enjoyment on repeated listening. She has a wonderful, expressive and supple voice. Though it's not necessarily obvious that she is a Texan, I enjoy hearing a bit of the inflection from that wonderful state when it seems to appear in her voice from time to time.
Though she is a young and emerging artist, this recording carries a fair bit of musical heft for a first CD. I don't think it's useful or accurate to define her talent into a single genre of music, but her influences seem to include country, folk, jazz and rock.
This recording has a good balance between her youthful vocal gifts, songwriting ability, substantial lyric quality and ability to write for an age group including well above her own that make this an enjoyable listen all around.
All this and the nerve to record the song "twilight red" at that audacious tempo and have it work 100%.
I had initially heard her perform a pre-recorded live show on the radio, in November 2010, on the World Cafe show on my local NPR station. The show is hosted by host David Dye, out of Philadelphia radio station WXPN. Check it out, a good source of new music.
The show was so well done that I stopped what I was doing just to stare at the loudspeaker in wonder at the talent that was coming forth. A rare experience.
I was reluctant to buy the CD after this performance as I was concerned that her talent would be sidelined on the recording, as I have experienced in the past with other artists, but was relieved that the artist I heard on the radio comes through on the recording.
Here's hoping that this person can bring forth many more songs and recordings like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent First CD, April 16, 2011
This review is from: Myth of the Heart (Audio CD)
Sahara Smith's first CD is one of the best singer/songwriter CDs to emerge from Texas in 2010. It is so good that I purchased several to give to friends. I especially recommend the following tracks - The Real Thing, Thousand Secrets, All I Need, and Twilight Red. Give them a listen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gorgeous!, April 12, 2011
This review is from: Myth Of The Heart (MP3 Music)
I heard Sahara Smith on the radio and immediately ran home to google this girl with the golden voice. I'm normally very picky about my singers, but lordy! What a talent! Her range is just amazing and her lyrics are stunning. I bought this cd and have had it on repeat for the last several days. It's one of the rare albums where every song is a winner. I've got my favorites (1000 secrets, Midnight Plane, Mermaid) but the entire album is a pleasure to listen to. I don't understand why someone like Taylor Swift, who can't carry a tune to save her life, shoots to fame and fortune while real artists like Sahara Smith languish in relative obscurity. At any rate, this album is now in my top 10 favorites. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars love her voice, April 6, 2011
This review is from: Myth of the Heart (Audio CD)
First hear her on KGSR raido station. They had a live cut on their Christmas C/D. Totally blew me away I couldn't wait to get her c/d. I could listen to her for hours

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly Talented!, November 15, 2010
This review is from: Myth of the Heart (Audio CD)
My 18-year-old daughter and I both love this CD, and find that we keep playing it over and over. It's poetic, interesting, insightful, and Sahara Smith has an unusually beautiful and expressive voice.

Myth of the Heart
Myth of the Heart by Sahara Smith (Audio CD - 2010)