Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on December 27, 2007
These guys are awesome, this show is about one of maybe five things on TV I actually watch.

The only thing that keeps me from giving this set the five stars is that the order of the episodes seems to be broken up, they refer to shows not on any set I own and seem to have skipped over others. Why Discovery can't just release their shows in seasons like normal people is beyond me.

But that's just a gripe with the publishing, as for the content itself, five stars.
on November 26, 2007
Mythbusters is a great show for everyone! The hosts, along with their team, crack myths and urban legends using science. This DVD Set is a great value for the money. 4 Discs for $20. I also found it was much cheaper than the Boxed versions sold on the discovery channel site which retailed for $50 each. The show is funny and you will learn from it whether you realize at the time or not. Great for kids, teenagers, and adults. I feel like it is a parallel to the fun science shows of my youth like "Bill Nye the Science Guy".
on June 30, 2012
Although I've only seen one disc of this set so far, i enjoyed what I saw, particularly 'Hindenburg Disater' which is my favorite on this disc (that being number 3). I'm not exactly hipped on the pirate special (I will admit that i have three of POTC that's Pirates of the Caribbean for those who don't know, and JD, that Johnny Depp for those that don't know cause he does a better job at being a pirate than the mythbusters, apologies to the mythbuster fans out there.) I plan to check out the other discs on this three disc set at some point. If you are a fan, and feel like going after this, then do it.
on January 4, 2016
I'm arbitrarily posting this under Collection 2 but this review really goes for any of the seasons you choose. I am a bonafide sciencephobe - I avoided it as much as I could in school and only took the mandatory classes to graduate (with the exception of biology which I actually love). Usually anything science-related can make my eyes glaze over in seconds. Until these guys....I tell you; if I could have learned science the Mythbuster way in high school, I would have signed up for any and all science classes they taught. They are that good.

From simple myths such as what happens when you drop a Mentos candy into Diet Coke to hardcore physics thought experiments that would make Tesla and Einstein scratch their heads, these guys have covered so much ground in 16 seasons. And within those years, they have faced each myth with creativity, ingenuity, and technical savvy that makes science fun and accessible to even the most frightened sciencephobe (i.e. me). To choose one favorite myth among the many would be too hard but, if pressed, I definitely recommend all of their Duct Tape specials if you ever wonder if there's anything duct tape can't do! There are certain episodes that I would pass on though if you're squeamish because they also deal in anatomical myths. There can be a lot of blood, guts, and yes, sometimes, poop, flying (See "Poop hitting the fan" myth),

However, in order to be fair, I have to say that they're not always on the ball either. Sometimes the experiments seemed rushed or it's apparent that they already expected a specific outcome; therefore, they put very little work into the episode because they don't expect any other result. This is especially true of myths that you question from the outset such as "Can you really catch a bullet with your teeth?" One has to ask why this one really needed to be tested at all and their presentation kind of bore this out. Also, with many myths, the results can be argued. Granted, they're not trying to cure cancer or anything so the lack of a clear black/white answer at the end of the show is not a big deal. However, if you have a strong science background and you feel that they got something wrong - that can color your whole perception of the show. Be prepared for family debates if you're so inclined like my family is. Plus, with the show in its final season now; the likelihood of revisits are low. Finally, in what I think is the greatest deficit, is the removal of Grant, Kari, and Tory from the cast in the last 2 seasons. I don't know the exact reasons for the cast change; but I feel the show lost much of its appeal when those three left. I love Adam and Jamie; I really do but the show is just not the same.

I've learned a lot from this show and, while I probably still couldn't pass a high school physics class with what I learned, I at least know more than I did. I also learned it in a much less painful and more real-world-relevant way (not in the "when am I ever going to use this again" way). This show is, first and foremost, entertainment. The cast and crew look like they had genuine fun doing many of these myths and, on occasion, they looked truly scared, grossed out, annoyed - whatever emotion was called for. It won't please everyone but if you go into it with an open mind and looking for a good time, you will find it. Despite its flaws, I will be truly sorry to see it go. There's so much still to learn.

Science can be fun - and if I say that, trust me...you can take that to the bank!
on January 7, 2008
Boys will be boys, but not for getting the girls. To quote a friend who saw an episode of Mythbusters, "why?". Answer: Why not. Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, (not for getting their lunatic fringe cohorts from later episodes Troy, Carrie and Grant), live out and get paid for basically playing and having to much fun. Testing, smashing, destroying, blowing up and answering questions that many have queried, but most do not have the time, talent or money to follow through. These wonderful guys and girl take scientific study and testing to a base reality. Prove it! They take projects from a point of imagination to conception. Making safety and planning a must and priority. In junior high, high school and later at my university they/we/I only touched on a very few actual experiments. I hope every science teacher in this country shows these wonderful modern day scientists and explorers to their students. The power of imagination. Some will say that Mythbusters is just TV, not science or exploration, they would be wrong and most likely just jealous. Jamie does sum it up for many of us guy dude explorer scientific want to be types, "Jamie wants a big boom" :-). Gotta love it. So to Jamie, Adam, Carrie, Troy, Grant and their Discovery crew and team. Thanks and safe journeys. Cheers
on February 5, 2012
My grandson is addicted to Mythbusters. We were constantly recording them and filling up the storage space on the DVR. Now the shows are available whenever he wants to watch them.
on December 27, 2007
i got this for my husband for christmas. it is one of the ONLY shows he will watch on tv. he was very happy that i got it for him.

everything looks great. arived on time. we are super happy! :)
on March 1, 2013
I bought these for my grandaughter who is a science buff and is too young to remember the original episodes. She loves watching them.
on June 2, 2016
Love this collection for incorporaring science concepts into last min sub plans or just for fun at the end of the scool year
on July 9, 2013
This video collection gives you the best highlights of the show. Easy to navigate. I will definitely be getting Collect 3.