5.0 out of 5 stars Great Notebook has power graphics
This is a great netbook, basically the most powerfull one they make.

I am very happy with the purchase since this little netbook will do everything it is suppose to do. I have played games on it, along with hooking it up to my big screen tv for improved view. Additionally I can play games locally with a very nice easily viewing smaller 10.2 inch screen...
Published on January 2, 2009 by Camera/ PC Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars VISTA on a netbook??? Yikes!
Published on August 14, 2009 by Eduardo Abdullah Nagasaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Notebook has power graphics, January 2, 2009
This review is from: ASUS N10J-A1 10.2-Inch Laptop (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, NVidia 9300M 256MB, Vista Premium) (Personal Computers)
This is a great netbook, basically the most powerfull one they make.

My only grip is that it comes with vista instead of xp. It loads fairly fast and seems to be able to do any notebook tasks like emails, word, basic office tasks. Very light weight and comes with a soft pad case.

Hope this helps it is worth the extra 200.00 above the other ones if you want more graphics power and battery performance.

Thanks,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great computer, March 2, 2009
"I love this computer. It is small enough to be portable but have even more power than my Dell Latitude. I love how the screen changes with battery options. The express gate function is very handy but sometimes it will shut off when I am online for no reason so that is a problem occasionally. Going from that to the OS seems to not work I just shut down and start up though. I think I will continue to purchase only ASUS laptops from now on."

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus N10J, about 5 years later..., September 22, 2013
Fast forward to late 2013, all the operating systems intended to run on the N10J line are becoming defunct, but the hardware should still be promising for some uses, given the right platform. I'm happy to announce, that for the first time on the alternative operating system front, the N10J line is fully supported under Linux as of at least Ubuntu 13.04 (well, technically, I tried Lubuntu on it). And I mean everything. 1080p video decoding under XBMC has been working like a dream for a few years now (despite only 256MB of RAM and 8 CUDA cores), but amazingly, HDMI audio and even the hardware graphics switch have now come into full function (the graphics switch requires a reboot, but still, it works out of the box), as well! Not only that, but this is the first platform I've easily gotten digital audio passthrough to a receiver over HDMI to work perfectly. If you've been wanting a great portable HD video player, or have been wanting to get the most out of your current N10J, there's nothing to stop you, it works amazingly now. Just had to share the results of what has been a very productive and eye-opening weekend of renewed testing. It is so great to potentially use the N10J as the all-purpose mini-laptop I'd always hoped it to be (since tablets are nice to have, but hardly complete replacements for laptops).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great portability, July 18, 2009
I am very happy with the N10J. It was purchased when my wife's Thinkpad failed after several years. I had a high end desktop and a Thinkpad W500 (a newer high end laptop). I used my Lenovo mostly for travel and more for entertainment and e-mail connectivity than for work as I am retired. I had gotten tired of it being too big to use comfortably on an airplane. So I gave her the W500 and bought this for myself.

Good:
Portability
Camera and fingerprint reader for Skype, photos and security
LCD is very readable and can be connected to a larger VGA in office
Keyboard and touchpad are good (see one keypad issue below)
Attractive with solid construction (but not as sturdy as the Thinkpad)
Can play many games, just not the newest most resource intensive ones
See [...] for compatibility list

Issues:
Right shift key is only half size
Several plugs on the right interfere a little with using a mouse there
Processor is the bottleneck in this computer. It is problem for processor intensive games and video conversion, and other applications are slower than I am used to them being.
Battery life is somewhat short for this type of unit (3-4 hours) even when using the integrated graphics.

In order of importance, if I could make changes I would (1) increase the size of the shift key (2) get Intel to make a similar but slightly faster processor so it was better balanced with the graphics card and (3) move the location of some of the connector ports.

Despite the issues, I am quite happy. This machine is what I expected. It is much cheaper than what I have been using (despite being high for a "netbook" due to the graphics card) and I wanted the portability. It is fine for video (I bought an external DVD drive and can convert video to store on the HD) and it plays a large number of my games.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Notebook, Highly Recommended!, April 19, 2009
I was in the market for a netbook that can play 1080p video and has HDMI out port. Incredibly, it was very hard to find one that fits the bill... and then I bumped into Asus N10J...

I picked up a slightly more beefed up Canadian version off eBay -- it is the same as N10J-A1 but has a bigger 250 GB hard drive and a "bilingual" keyboard which has a few French symbols on it (makes no difference to my typing experience whatsoever).

The laptop looks great and feels sturdy. Keyboard is slightly cramped. Smaller shift keys bothered me at first, but I am now back to typing without even looking at the keyboard.

Vista runs fine. 2 GB Ram and dedicated video card can handle the glassy shiny Aero without any problems. The only occasional slowdowns occur under heavy multi-tasking... which is not what netbooks are intended for anyway. Overall, I'm very happy with the performance.

What I really like is the ability to use N10J as a media center PC. First, it can play 1080p video with no issues whatsoever given it is set up properly. Here's a very helpful tutorial on how to get smooth full HD playback on this little monster:

[...]

Second, it delivers 5.1 sound via both HDMI port and a hybrid mini/SPDIF audio port. To get 5.1 audio via HDMI, you'll need to select nVidia Audio Output device via Control Panel => Sound.

Mini to SPDIF adapter is required for digital audio via the mini audio port. Actually, I recommend getting mini to SPDIF cable since there's signal loss with adapter + SPDIF cable combination.

Last, but not least, be sure to check out Asus N10 user community forums at [...] for helpful tips and tutorials.

I highly recommend this very portable yet very capable netbook. The price premium over less powerful machines is well worth it in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Notebook, Bad OS, February 11, 2009
First things first, I'm going to refer to this notebook as a netbook (because that's what I treat it as). This is a great product, the notebook feels solid, the keyboard is amazing and the screen resolution is great! The graphics are also very crisp.
Pros
-Great solid build
-Integrated graphics + discreet graphics
-Ample hard drive space
-Great screen
-Asus has great customer service
-2 gigs of ram
Cons
-Vista
-Atom Processor isn't strong enough to handle vista

I would have given this five stars if it had xp. Oh well, now I guess I'm going to wait for Windows 7. Also, out of box I had a faulty wireless card, but that was quickly taken care of by Asus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, February 4, 2009
Come on guy's. Do some research these notebooks(netbooks) don't come with an optical drive. Please don't rate a product on your mis-information. The is by far the best laptop i've ever purchased. I was thinking of getting a new unibody MacBook but for much less than half the price I couldn't turn this notebook down.

If you're looking for a highly portable laptop that draws attention from across the room this is the one for you. I don't play games so that Nvidia graphics works well for movies and other video playing.

I love this laptop. The warranty that asus offers is second to none.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful screen but heavy, August 5, 2009
This ASUS has a very beautiful display. It comes with a few things I found odd. One is the nice black case. The only problem is the netbook won't fit in it. Duh. Another is that the hard drive is partitioned. If you don't notice that before you start putting things on the C drive, it will fill up very fast. I unpartitioned mine so I didn't have to worry with it. Another thing is an invasive little program called Personal Safe. Best I can figure, this is part of the fingerprint application. It cannot be removed from the desktop. I like a really clean desktop with no icons and this is a real irritant. If I wanted it on the desktop, I would put it there. Anyway, the Atom processor is slow, of course, but not as awful as I had heard it would be. I'm used to dsl and this is a bit of an adjustment. It would be absolutely awful without the 2GBs of RAM. You can't add anymore RAM unfortunately. It's quite heavy (for a netbook) at over 3 1/2 pounds. The battery extends out from the back and is not flush. Not a problem, just thought you might want to know. I took it on its first road trip in early August and it did just fine. I'm not unhappy with the machine, but rather disappointed. I would have to say that if I had it to do over again, I would probably be more patient and get a purple Dell. If I have to deal with slow and heavy, I'd rather do it in purple!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, January 24, 2009
its very powerful for a Lil thing the hdmi works great i can do what ever i wanted to do with it i play games watch movies it does it all for a netbook built nicely like it very much go here everything u need to know about this [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars VISTA on a netbook??? Yikes!, August 14, 2009
I would tread very carefully on this one, even if it does have 256MB video card. An Atom is still an Atom. And you really need at least 4GB of RAM to make Vista half-decent. My brother has a full-size, 2.2 GHz Dual-Core laptop with 4GB of RAM and a 512MB card, and Vista Premium still lags way behind Windows XP in speed. I know because I did a side by side comparison with my 3 year old Toshiba 1.4GHz Centrino (one core) with 1.25GB RAM and 32MB card running XP Pro, which ran circles around Vista no matter how many tweaks we tried to put on the Vista. Nuts!

Just a heads up for prospective buyers excited by the 2GB of memory and video card, both unheard of in the netbook market previously.

I suppose the bright side is that you can now get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out in a few months. Windows 7 is said to be faster than Vista (which isn't saying much, lol) but not any big improvement over XP. Just another way for Microsoft to squeeze more money out of the consumer, after making them guinea pigs in beta-testing Vista, exactly as it did with Windows Millenium which was garbage until XP replaced it.