5.0 out of 5 stars 192.168.1.1
Published on July 30, 2012 by A. Dent

2.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Crashed in 29 days... simply cannot recommend
Published on August 18, 2012 by M. Weekley

5.0 out of 5 stars 192.168.1.1, July 30, 2012
This review is from: WD My Net N600 HD Dual Band Router Wireless N WiFi Router Accelerate HD (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The My Net 600 is an extraordinarily easy to setup and use dual band router that 'just works' as soon as you plug it in and connect it to your Internet data source. At the same time, it allows for a lot of flexibility to take advantage of its many features and capabilities. Besides Wi-Fi clients, the N600 supports up to 4 wired connections plus a storage device attached via USB.

Given that this 'appears' to be a basic router, my first test was 'how far could I go without manuals or documentation of any kind.' After I powered off the existing router I plugged in the My Net N600, used the supplied (yellow) Ethernet cable to connect to the cable modem, another cable to connect to a media server and I USB-attached an HDD. Then, I pressed the 'power' button. My computer immediately showed a new, unsecured Wi-Fi network. 10 seconds later I was surfing the Net.

The title of this review is what you need to remember if you are to properly set up your router. What I did in the first paragraph works and it works immediately but must of us are going to require some minimal level of security and tweaking a setting or two. The good news is that the basic setup through your browser is a breeze. It only takes a few minutes to rename your network and to set it with strong security. Another couple of minutes and the USB-connected hard disk was shared and could be accessed from my any other computers. Almost everything else works well with the defaults but... this is what my 15-minutes or less custom setup consisted on, tab by tab. Depending on what you require from your router, your experience may be different.

_________________________________________________

WAN
Nothing to do here, stay with the defaults and you should be okay in most instances.

WIRELESS
Under 'Wireless Setup', since this is a dual-band router, it's up to you whether you create two networks for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands or you merge them by assigning the same names and passwords to both bands. It's also where you set the security level - go with the highest if your other devices support it. I assigned the same network name and password to both bands and set security to WPA/WPA2.

LAN
Stay with the defaults unless you want to change your router's name to something other than MyNetN600. I extended the DHCP access range under DHCP Server Settings to 192.168.1.254 because we have quite a few devices that are going to interact with the router in our house so 155 possible address allocations are better than the default 50.

Note that if you go to Device and Client Tables you can see all the computers connected to your router at any given time.

STORAGE
Nothing to do here unless you attach a hard disk to the N600. I did and I confirmed that it was treated as a 'public share' so it wasn't going to prompt me for a user ID and password to access it and everyone else in the house could access it.

SECURITY
Not much to do here unless you want to set up you own router-based firewall or you want to set up your own DMZ. If you're not sure how this is done (I'm not) then don't bother. The Parental Controls section is something that I may come back and explore later. My existing router, a Linksys allows me to deny Internet services to specific devices at specific times of the days on specific days of the week. This router's appears to rely on some outside filtering service. Something worth investigating.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
Unless Port Forwarding, ALG, Routing, FasTrak QoS and Network UPnP are meaningful concepts to you, you're better off to stay away from this and keep the defaults. You may want to look at FasTrak QoS because this is where you can set priorities for your various apps. All I did there was changing Netflix to highest priority. Didn't have to change anything else.

ADMIN
You can do a lot here or you can do nothing if you decide to stay with the default settings. You may want to change the router access password to something other than the default 'password' setting. There are sections worth exploring such as usage logs but you don't have to.
_________________________________________________

With the setup as above I then plugged in my Vonage (VoIP) box, a powerline adapter (Ethernet over power lines) and connected a Wi-Fi signal booster. I had no trouble VPN-ing to my workplace and doing a video conference call there while one of our kids was playing a game online, someone else in the house was on the phone, our little girl was watching Netflix on her Kindle Fire and Pandora was playing on another tablet.

The N600 deserves its 5 stars for being so easy to set and use and for its many features and capabilities, all offered at an affordable price. Unless you have a super-busy home network, this should come close to the perfect router these days. For a little more internal bandwidth, WD has a higher end device.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Crashed in 29 days... simply cannot recommend, August 18, 2012
M. Weekley (Somewhere, NE) - See all my reviews
I bought this router from another reputable electronics merchant 29 days ago. Having had Western Digital products in the past that have worked well for me, I decided to give them a chance in the router market even though they have never been in this marketspace before. Up until the product failed I had a mixed review going into today. After having worked with this router for about a month, I see a lot of potential for the services Western Digital tried to implement but there are too many drawbacks and long term product issues for me to make a recommendation. It's an unstable product that needs to be worked out with either future firmware or spec revisions. Here are my thoughts:

SERVICE: 10MB/895kb cable internet service

Pros

+ Set Up is very easy to use and I was initially online in no time. If you're not tech savvy it's an easy product to set up in your home. I was impressed with the router interface.
+ A variety of features and security options are at your disposal.
+ Up until the 29th day there was never a break in wireless signal and the range was excellent throughout the home. I could go across the street and still pick up a solid signal

Cons

- I have an Ooma (VoIP telephone service) and had it hooked up through an Actiontec router BEFORE I purchased this router. I never had an issue with the Ooma with my previous router. When I replaced my old router with this router, that changed. Our Ooma which was a WIRED connection would intermittently lose service for about 2 minutes and then connect. This happened throughout the day. It would also disconnect during phone calls. I connected a Netgear router after I disconnected the WD and I have yet to see my Ooma blink red indicating interruption in service.
- The 5Ghz band was not as fast as I anticipated it to be. Using my iPad I did not have the speeds I thought I should. YouTube movies actually seemed to take longer to load than with my older b/g router.
- Wireless completely died after a month of use. The unit never went through any external damage. The wireless just stopped working. I went through all the traditional reboots you're supposed to do but no wireless device could find the router. For what it's worth, the wired connection still worked.

Overall

I really wanted to like this router and feel that it has a lot of potential (as well as the other products in this family) as there are some wonderful features that are included. My opinion is that at this time it's too much of a risk for someone to come in and invest in this router. I do have a lot of faith in Western Digital products and give them credit for trying something new but right now it doesn't feel like it's worth the risk. It is my hope those of you who are investing in the router will have a better experience than I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars A router for the everyday people, November 26, 2012
I am not a techno geek (although I love smart phones!) I just want my home network to well...work. I had a linksys router 2500 (2012 model) that quit after 9 months, and after speaking to thier "award winning" customer service, wondered what sort of award had they won! I decided not to buy another one since they decided not to replace it. I bought the WD my net 600 because of consistantly good reviews on multiple sights, not just Amazon, and it was available at my local retailer. Went home...plugged it in, adjusted the settings, turning 5 ghz off since I am rural and thus hoping to boost 2.5 ghz range, which I did on my last router. Plugged in a 32gb flash drive into the port on the back and now have an easy shared drive for the 7 divices on the home network. One week into this relationship, and I believe we will get along just fine.
On my 5mbs up and down network I am achiving consistant 3.5Mbps - 4Mbps up and down.
I am very pleased thus far. Enjoy. JB
3 months later: the WD unit is performing well. Netflix is streaming better than ever so the internal software WD featured seems to be working. No problems to report. If I do I will let you know.
Enjoy.
Jb

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, March 23, 2014
Justin R. Elfering (Astoria, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this at the same time that I purchased a new DSL modem, together replacing an aging modem/router combo that came with the DSL service from the ISP. My ISP is only able to offer me a maximum 7Mbps connection where I live out in the sticks, so my impression of the speed improvement that I've experience after upgrading to this router would be almost entirely through the addition of the dual band function that this one gives me. What I am impressed with, are all the options that this router offers. I have a removable hard drive connected to the USB that gives me access to the drive anywhere in the house, without having to go find it and plug it in. Plus, with two computers, now the files can be shared. Access to the removable storage can be password protected, so you aren't giving access to your personal stuff to friends and family when you want to give them access to the WiFi. You can set-up a guest account, with a password or not, to give people access to your WiFi without having to give out your own password. That way, you can maintain your own password, even if you have to cut someone off at some point. Lots of features for the price. I'm very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is nothing better for the price., February 17, 2014
Amazon Customer (Wadsworth, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I have had this router for about a month and it has been working wonderfully. You will be hard pressed to find a dual band router for under $30 and the addition of a usb port makes it all the better. The interface is much nicer than any other router I have owned. It is a bit of a shame that it is unable to use dd-wrt, but I do appreciated the sleek and simple design of the UI. I have had no problems with the wireless range either, which I was somewhat nervous about. The router is placed on the second floor directly above the roku that uses the 5ghz band and it receives a strong signal. The 2.4 ghz band also is able to reach my basement with a good signal as well.

All in all, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the best $30 router you can get.

2.0 out of 5 stars Firmware update fails, November 11, 2012
Decent router. Problem was I tried several time to update the firmware. Even support couldn't help me. I replaced the unit and the issue persisted. I could have kept the unit as it was functioning but wanted the ability to upgrade the firmware. Pretty dissapointing as everything else seemed to work ok. Browser based setup was pretty easy, speed was ok, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice, August 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The tells you the IP of the router right on the packaging for the CD.
The interface is well thought out and nice.
It doesn't get warm at all.
I didn't use the software so I can't comment on that.
It updated its firmware without need to download to computer.
The QoS can be set up for application or device (IP). The default setup was logical with skype/facetime getting priority 1 and netflix priority 2 etc (out of 4).
It was stable, I didn't have to power cycle it or anything like that.
The 2.4 and 5 GHz for normal or guest can be set up independently.
And most importantly, it's NOT Cisco and there is NO cloud registration.

The only bad thing is mine makes a slight high pitch noise when you are near it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works For Me, August 9, 2012
Duffer. "Bo" (Conyers, GA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My ISP installed all the equipment for TV, internet and voice into my great room. No cabling was provided to the PCs in two other rooms since it was expected that they would connect through the wireless option. The problem is that the wireless service goes down every day. I ran cables from the great room to the other two rooms with PCs and my PCs can now access the internet without interruption. I cancelled my voice service with this provider and switched to a better service. That took care of internet and voice but I still had work to do re TV.

My TV service is acceptable but I have a problem with streaming videos due to the lousy wireless service. Here is how I solved the problem for one of my TVs that is in the same room as a PC. I plugged the power cable for the N600 into an outlet. I unplugged the internet cable from my PC and plugged it into the yellow jack of the router. I ran one cable from the router back to my PC. I ran another cable to my Sony streamer which is connected to the TV. Everything works well. I did not have to turn on the router or make any type of setup procedures. All I did was what I just described and to my utter amazement my PC works just fine and I can stream movies.

I don't have a need for any other features that this router may or may not have. My review is based solely on my use of this router and for that it gets 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interference, February 9, 2014
I keep my main wireless router behind my living room TV to ensure good coverage throughout the house. My previous router (a Linksys WRT54G) was starting to go a little weak, so I purchased this one. It works a bit better than I was expecting, considering the low purchase price. However, the 5 GHz band was interfering with certain channels on the TV. How do I know this? Because I tuned in to one of those channels during the interference and turned off the router. Voila, gone. I simply moved the router to the floor behind the entertainment center and this seems to have alleviated the issue. I'll keep an eye out for any effect on signal strength throughout the house and perhaps check back with an update.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work as advertised., October 19, 2012
John Woodall (Fort Mill, SC United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased a My Net N600; it never did the QoS right (even after I added the ports in the advanced page, etc); after a firmware update the wireless would drop at least once a week requiring a router reboot.

WD, after 3 calls, replaced the N600 with a N750. It still doesn't do QoS well, though the wireless has no issues. I have tested this with Battlefield3 (very sensitive to packet timing) and MagicJack (VoIP). If I am downloading a large file (2GB) from Microsoft (full bandwidth) - BF3 is unplayable (rubber-banding) and magicJack is stuttery (any 2 or 3 syllable words are choppy). I have not updated to latest firmware for fear of running into more wireless issues.

I have been very disappointed with my experience with the WD routers so far.