Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The My Net 600 is an extraordinarily easy to setup and use dual band router that 'just works' as soon as you plug it in and connect it to your Internet data source. At the same time, it allows for a lot of flexibility to take advantage of its many features and capabilities. Besides Wi-Fi clients, the N600 supports up to 4 wired connections plus a storage device attached via USB.

Given that this 'appears' to be a basic router, my first test was 'how far could I go without manuals or documentation of any kind.' After I powered off the existing router I plugged in the My Net N600, used the supplied (yellow) Ethernet cable to connect to the cable modem, another cable to connect to a media server and I USB-attached an HDD. Then, I pressed the 'power' button. My computer immediately showed a new, unsecured Wi-Fi network. 10 seconds later I was surfing the Net.

The title of this review is what you need to remember if you are to properly set up your router. What I did in the first paragraph works and it works immediately but must of us are going to require some minimal level of security and tweaking a setting or two. The good news is that the basic setup through your browser is a breeze. It only takes a few minutes to rename your network and to set it with strong security. Another couple of minutes and the USB-connected hard disk was shared and could be accessed from my any other computers. Almost everything else works well with the defaults but... this is what my 15-minutes or less custom setup consisted on, tab by tab. Depending on what you require from your router, your experience may be different.

_________________________________________________

WAN
Nothing to do here, stay with the defaults and you should be okay in most instances.

WIRELESS
Under 'Wireless Setup', since this is a dual-band router, it's up to you whether you create two networks for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands or you merge them by assigning the same names and passwords to both bands. It's also where you set the security level - go with the highest if your other devices support it. I assigned the same network name and password to both bands and set security to WPA/WPA2.

LAN
Stay with the defaults unless you want to change your router's name to something other than MyNetN600. I extended the DHCP access range under DHCP Server Settings to 192.168.1.254 because we have quite a few devices that are going to interact with the router in our house so 155 possible address allocations are better than the default 50.

Note that if you go to Device and Client Tables you can see all the computers connected to your router at any given time.

STORAGE
Nothing to do here unless you attach a hard disk to the N600. I did and I confirmed that it was treated as a 'public share' so it wasn't going to prompt me for a user ID and password to access it and everyone else in the house could access it.

SECURITY
Not much to do here unless you want to set up you own router-based firewall or you want to set up your own DMZ. If you're not sure how this is done (I'm not) then don't bother. The Parental Controls section is something that I may come back and explore later. My existing router, a Linksys allows me to deny Internet services to specific devices at specific times of the days on specific days of the week. This router's appears to rely on some outside filtering service. Something worth investigating.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
Unless Port Forwarding, ALG, Routing, FasTrak QoS and Network UPnP are meaningful concepts to you, you're better off to stay away from this and keep the defaults. You may want to look at FasTrak QoS because this is where you can set priorities for your various apps. All I did there was changing Netflix to highest priority. Didn't have to change anything else.

ADMIN
You can do a lot here or you can do nothing if you decide to stay with the default settings. You may want to change the router access password to something other than the default 'password' setting. There are sections worth exploring such as usage logs but you don't have to.
_________________________________________________

With the setup as above I then plugged in my Vonage (VoIP) box, a powerline adapter (Ethernet over power lines) and connected a Wi-Fi signal booster. I had no trouble VPN-ing to my workplace and doing a video conference call there while one of our kids was playing a game online, someone else in the house was on the phone, our little girl was watching Netflix on her Kindle Fire and Pandora was playing on another tablet.

The N600 deserves its 5 stars for being so easy to set and use and for its many features and capabilities, all offered at an affordable price. Unless you have a super-busy home network, this should come close to the perfect router these days. For a little more internal bandwidth, WD has a higher end device.
22 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2012
I bought this router from another reputable electronics merchant 29 days ago. Having had Western Digital products in the past that have worked well for me, I decided to give them a chance in the router market even though they have never been in this marketspace before. Up until the product failed I had a mixed review going into today. After having worked with this router for about a month, I see a lot of potential for the services Western Digital tried to implement but there are too many drawbacks and long term product issues for me to make a recommendation. It's an unstable product that needs to be worked out with either future firmware or spec revisions. Here are my thoughts:

SERVICE: 10MB/895kb cable internet service

Pros

+ Set Up is very easy to use and I was initially online in no time. If you're not tech savvy it's an easy product to set up in your home. I was impressed with the router interface.
+ A variety of features and security options are at your disposal.
+ Up until the 29th day there was never a break in wireless signal and the range was excellent throughout the home. I could go across the street and still pick up a solid signal

Cons

- I have an Ooma (VoIP telephone service) and had it hooked up through an Actiontec router BEFORE I purchased this router. I never had an issue with the Ooma with my previous router. When I replaced my old router with this router, that changed. Our Ooma which was a WIRED connection would intermittently lose service for about 2 minutes and then connect. This happened throughout the day. It would also disconnect during phone calls. I connected a Netgear router after I disconnected the WD and I have yet to see my Ooma blink red indicating interruption in service.
- The 5Ghz band was not as fast as I anticipated it to be. Using my iPad I did not have the speeds I thought I should. YouTube movies actually seemed to take longer to load than with my older b/g router.
- Wireless completely died after a month of use. The unit never went through any external damage. The wireless just stopped working. I went through all the traditional reboots you're supposed to do but no wireless device could find the router. For what it's worth, the wired connection still worked.

Overall

I really wanted to like this router and feel that it has a lot of potential (as well as the other products in this family) as there are some wonderful features that are included. My opinion is that at this time it's too much of a risk for someone to come in and invest in this router. I do have a lot of faith in Western Digital products and give them credit for trying something new but right now it doesn't feel like it's worth the risk. It is my hope those of you who are investing in the router will have a better experience than I did.
44 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
I am not a techno geek (although I love smart phones!) I just want my home network to well...work. I had a linksys router 2500 (2012 model) that quit after 9 months, and after speaking to thier "award winning" customer service, wondered what sort of award had they won! I decided not to buy another one since they decided not to replace it. I bought the WD my net 600 because of consistantly good reviews on multiple sights, not just Amazon, and it was available at my local retailer. Went home...plugged it in, adjusted the settings, turning 5 ghz off since I am rural and thus hoping to boost 2.5 ghz range, which I did on my last router. Plugged in a 32gb flash drive into the port on the back and now have an easy shared drive for the 7 divices on the home network. One week into this relationship, and I believe we will get along just fine.
On my 5mbs up and down network I am achiving consistant 3.5Mbps - 4Mbps up and down.
I am very pleased thus far. Enjoy. JB
3 months later: the WD unit is performing well. Netflix is streaming better than ever so the internal software WD featured seems to be working. No problems to report. If I do I will let you know.
Enjoy.
Jb
on August 19, 2014
I have no choice but to give this product a 1-star rating. The router I received simply did not work correctly. I bought this router to replace an ancient Linksys WRT54G (version 2) router. The old Linksys has always served me well, but since my ISP upped my internet speeds a few weeks ago, it isn't fast enough anymore to support it. Since I'm missing out on my new internet speed I decided to upgrade the router. I did a lot of research, and decided to go with the WD My Net N600 HD. It has gotten good reviews, and I like the dual-band features of it.

Okay, so the router looks really nice. One thing you'll notice when you unpack it is the lack of external antenna's and the fact the device is surprisingly light weight. Almost too light. The indicator lights next to every WAN-port are a nice little extra feature too.
One fired up and logged in with an internet browser the GUI is very nice and easy to use. So far the good.

Here is the bad, and the reason for me returning this product and leaving a bad score:
No device on my network could get any higher speeds then 72.2mbps. It almost looks like this router is locked and won't support any higher, though it should. I tried different security settings, different channels, set it from 20mhz channel width to 20-40 (auto), but to no avail. I cannot get 2.4GHZ device to connect at 150mbps. The signal strength was excellent, and I have no problems getting 150 mbps on any other N network. I only have one wireless signal in my area (I live out in the country) and that particular signal is on channel 1. I had the WD My Net N600 set to channel 6. There was absolutely no interference, yet I could not get any higher speeds then 72.2mpbs. I even turned of 5GHZ and security for testing purposes, but I couldn't win. It stayed stuck at 72.2mbps.

That was pretty disappointing, but even worse was the fact the router would drop my internet connection for about 10 seconds every 5 minutes. I upgraded the firmware, checked all the settings, but again: After a couple of frustrating hours I was unable to come up with a solution.

Needless to say I hooked up my ancient 12-year old - but rock solid - Linksys WRT54g again. Even though I am missing out on my improved internet speed of 30MBPS (which 54g is incapable of delivering, regardless of it being a 54mbps connection), at least with this old thing I have a stable connection again.

I will be looking for another router again. If this WD My Net N600 would work as promised it would've been aan awesome little device: As it stands though, it seems to be a bit of a hit-and-miss. I personally will not try another WD router again.
on February 17, 2014
I have had this router for about a month and it has been working wonderfully. You will be hard pressed to find a dual band router for under $30 and the addition of a usb port makes it all the better. The interface is much nicer than any other router I have owned. It is a bit of a shame that it is unable to use dd-wrt, but I do appreciated the sleek and simple design of the UI. I have had no problems with the wireless range either, which I was somewhat nervous about. The router is placed on the second floor directly above the roku that uses the 5ghz band and it receives a strong signal. The 2.4 ghz band also is able to reach my basement with a good signal as well.

All in all, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the best $30 router you can get.
on May 5, 2014
Save your money and do yourself the favor; buy a RELIABLE router for home use. I bought this along with the repeater and I have had nothing but ridiculous, inconvenient, and such simple - stupid issues - that happened just after a month of using it. I am somewhat informative in setting up a home network, etc... So I should not have any problems trying to get into the Western Digital Dashboard. I was able to initially get into it, when I first set it up. But after having problems, I tried to get back into the Dashboard with my username and pw. Well, THAT didn't work at all. So I figured I will try a factory reset - Absolutely NO LUCK in doing that! It was like the button doesn't exist! Since the time to return/or get support expired, I figured I would just keep rebooting when needed - the "bridge" or expander doesn't work either. What a waste! Later I found out that my brother had the same exact thing happen to him! He got no positive response from Tech support and he had to return the router and get another one. THAT one did the same thing! He was well within his window for a full refund and he did just that - he bought another brand. Awful product...WD; fix your issues, please.
on March 26, 2015
This product had good reviews, so I was surprised when it didn't work as advertised. I placed the cd in, followed the directions exactly and it wouldn't connect. The internet worked fine without the router, but something wasn't working. It was an endless loop of trying to connect. It would not let me move pass step 2. I called my internet company to trouble shoot... no luck. I called the manufacturer and was told that this product's warranty expired in 2013. When the product leaves the facility and is sold to Amazon the warrant starts. The whopping 30 day warrant which you must have to get tech support. This puppy is going back pronto, going to an actual store with real people and a guaranteed product. On a positive note, tech support is in Australia. Kind of fun to talk to someone from down under :)
on July 19, 2015
This router replaced another that died--and one I bought from a local electronics store that kept dropping my devices. My family and I love this one--precisely because we never notice it. It doesn't drop devices. Videos are streamed without hitches or glitches. Our wireless printer/scanner just works.
A few observations. 1. The device runs both 5 Ghz and 2.4 GHz access points simultaneously, but they are separate. In other words, you have to decide which access point to use for each device. Use 5 GHz unless it causes trouble. Devices on the two different access points are still on the same network. 2. The device has a guest network too. This is separate from the main network. However, anyone connected to the guest network still has access to your internet connection. In other words, be sure to have a fairly secure password for your guest account too.
on February 9, 2014
UPDATE 01/19/16 - My rating goes down from 4 stars to 2 because the 2.4 GHz band of this router has gone kaput. While it was good while it lasted, I expected the router to last longer than 23 months.

I keep my main wireless router behind my living room TV to ensure good coverage throughout the house. My previous router (a Linksys WRT54G) was starting to go a little weak, so I purchased this one. It works a bit better than I was expecting, considering the low purchase price. However, the 5 GHz band was interfering with certain channels on the TV. How do I know this? Because I tuned in to one of those channels during the interference and turned off the router. Voila, gone. I simply moved the router to the floor behind the entertainment center and this seems to have alleviated the issue. I'll keep an eye out for any effect on signal strength throughout the house and perhaps check back with an update.
on September 29, 2014
Basic set up was easy, but I could not make a direct connection from my laptop to the router work. I could use it as an open unsecure WIFI connection, but was not able to take ownership of it and set up a secure connection. I thought it was an issue with my laptop's ethernet port, but just yesterday I received a new router from my cable company and was able to set it up using the same laptop and ethernet port with no issues. I still don't know what the issue is with this router, but I missed the window to return it. Maybe it will make a good paperweight....