Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WD My Net N750 HD Dual Band Router Wireless N WiFi Router Accelerate HD
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon September 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Western Digital N750 is a wired and dual band wireless router that uses the 2.5 and 5 Ghz spectrum and has 4 Giabit ethernet ports. Out of the box the router was a breeze to setup. Admittedly I am fairly experienced and would usually set this up manually, but to review for those that aren't in that place I used the setup wizard. Using the wizard I was up and running in a few minutes.

The wireless portion of the router works fine with disparate adapters. There were 4 desktops, 2 laptops, 2 iPads, 1 XBox 360, and 3 smartphones connected to the wireless and all connected flawlessly on the first attempt. Wired on all computers and Xbox also worked flawlessly. Currently 2 desktops are wired and the rest of the listed devices are connected wirelessly.

The N750 is running in a 1500 sqft environment and there are no deadspots or decreases in signal on any of the devices listed. Those that are mobile do not experience a decrease in signal strength in any location I have tried in the house.

The internet speed is only a concern with wireless so that is all that will be mentioned here. The connections were all max for signal strength with no noticeable decrease in speed over the wired connection. Of course this is limited by the isp and various other factors. The wireless speed in moving files across the network were naturally decreased with respect to wired on the machines that had Gigabit ethernet cards. Those that just had fast ethernet were not noticabley faster than wireless.

I used the wireless connection with the XBox as an extender to stream live and recorded TV from a Windows 7 Media Center machine to the TV. There was no stuttering or artifacts. Also, I streamed movies from Media Center with no hiccups. Lastly I streamed movies and music from the server box across the network wirelessly and had no hiccups with play back on the various wireless computers.

The router has a few cool features as well. The fast track QoS which allows you to set priority for different applications during high network traffic. Another is Web-based parental controls which gives the ability to log in remotely and limit access to the internet. So for example, mom can shut off the Xbox from her smart phone when junior is slaying enemies rather than homework.

Thus far this has been a great router and the latest firmware update caused no problems for me.

After always using the usual suspects Netgear, Linksys, Belkin with varying degrees of satisfaction (my last netgear has been flawless and still is) this new entry into the market by WD is definitely welcome. I would have no problem getting a WD router up for friends and family. This one isn't coming down and the Netgear is retired for now!
11 comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2012
I've been trying to build a larger wireless network to completely cover my house, and this product has done it well. After testing other routers and access points, my most successful setup came with buying two WD My Net N750's... one for a Router and a second device switched to Access Point mode (steps explained in manual). Both devices are running the same WiFi network name. I now have rock solid, full house WiFi coverage in both 2.4 Mhz and 5.0 Mhz frequencies.

The WD My Net N750 is recommended for anyone, but I appreciate the stability, good range, Access Point mode, USB, parental controls, and more that comes with this full featured device.
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2013
Update 6/18/2013:

After 3 months of use, I have learned a lot regarding this router from WD and how to use it with OpenDNS. So I am putting what I learned here in the hope it may help other techies who had the same questions. I chose to write these on Amazon.com instead of WD forum or OpenDNS forum simply because I found a lot of good information on Amazon.com in my purchase research:

WD MyNet N600, N750, N900 have Parental Control as I reviewed before. As discussed, WD Parental Control allows a few *categories* such as None, Max, High, Medium, Moderate, Low, All. The manual and the online help on Parental Control webpage have very simple explanation of the classes of websites these categories prevent in general term such as Dating, Social Networking, Chat, etc. I could not find the information anywhere about *how* this works but I guess (because WD "designs/controls/owns" to router and the built-in DNS server, it can intercept the DNS lookup to filter out and reject DNS translation requests it deems violating the categories mentioned. Then the look-up activities resumes normally with the user-defined DNS primary and secondary servers as programmed. (For Computer Science folks, this is similar to the old days "interrupt interception" in assembly language).

I think this is a very clever design. Hence I concluded, and proved that WD MyNet Router allows user to enter OpenDNS DNS addresses to use an external service to filter DNS requests.

This "double-feature" of DNS filtering is an attractive design because it allows the router owner/administrator to filter DNS request once at WD Parental Control level, and another at OpenDNS specific web/machine level. They both work together nicely. I was puzzled for a while, as many other people whose posts I read on other forums, that sometimes OpenDNS would not work with WD Router. To be fair, this has nothing to do with WD Router. OpenDNS will work great if you "flush the DNS cache". If you don't know how to do this, just google "Flush DNS Cache". This problem, in my opinion, is a weak point of OpenDNS. But that is another post for OpenDNS folks.

The bottom line is, if you have used OpenDNS, and loved it, all you have to do is to set WD Router Parental Control to filter None (that means to allow ALL, all the time). Then enter OpenDNS server addresses in WAN/Internet Setup page. Your router will now works with OpenDNS exactly as before with other routers such as Dlink 825.

Hope this helps you techies. If you are not the techie type, my apologies.

Update 3/31/2013:

Having tried WD Mynet Parental Control, I like it a lot. It is quirky and needs refinement to be useful for the majority of the users. I hope to be helpful to other users and to WD My Net Team with the following comments and suggestions:

1. Have a Help feature for Parental Control. For example, when the owner registers the router to gain parental control, he/she has only 24 hrs to confirm the email, or the confirmation link is invalidated. WD didn't bother to tell users how to recover from this invalidated link. Most likely, users will be stuck at this point and ended up hating the product. Simply tell them to reregister to get a new 24-hr response in the invalidated screen instead of let the program bomb out (and not in the email as they are frustrated now) is so easy I wonder whey WD didn't do it.

2. After setting the time block, there's no apparent way to unblock it. And there's no help anywhere short of calling technical support. It would be nice to let users know in order to unblock, users will need to "set" that same time block to "none", "low", etc. In my opinion, that is clumsy and counter-intuitive. One should be able to just unblock what is being blocked. To compound the issue, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to replicate the unblock/block command for the internet access to work again - and no where the users is informed of this. OpenDNS clearly says, "wait 3 minutes for the blocking/unblocking to work...". Again, regular users will be frustrated and stuck. They again feel the hate for a product that could prosper.

3. The block table is so cluttered with all the columns for each 15 minute time frame that it would be nice to use a different color scheme for block, versus unblock, low vs. high, etc. Speaking as a long-time IT specialist and manager, none of this is hard to do. Just a little more care for user-friendliness. WD Network Marketing Team, where are you? Did you use this product? Did you test it with regular users *and* observe them to see where they are confused? Your product is nice. But unless you improve the user interface and advertise (hint! sell) it, OpenDNS and the likes will catch up and do a better job of making it easy and selling it than you.

---
This router has a lot of attractive features for very cheap price (I got it for $50 new - free S/H). Originally I had some difficulties with this router and felt negative about WD Router. But to provide a fair assessment, I am writing down my experience to help future "early adopters".

For all the following features: , Simultaneous dual band (2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz at 300 Mbps and 450 Mbps) each with its own Guest channel, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, not one but 2 USB ports for storage and printer sharing, cloud configuration and cloud parental control for $50 new, this router sounds irresistible. Throwing a brand name of WD, albeit in hard drive area, I had to have one even though my DLink DIR-825 (with similar features) is still humming after a couple of years.

After getting the new WD router, it took me only 30 minutes to "clone" my DLink DIR-825 configuration (namely, same SSID names/pw and set up to switch two routers). The WD N750 is slightly faster than my three-year-old DIR-825. The range is about the same, namely not so spectacular. This is along the same experience as another reviewer's comments on WD choice to have internal antennae in the horizontal position. The router runs warm but not hot. The parental control feature uses similar service as OpenDNS. That means you can configure the blocking and filtering from anywhere. However, where OpenDNS is clear and organized, WD Parental Control feature treated users as all naive. I googled the web and no where that I found a single explanation of *how it works* - only what to do to make it work. Knowing how it works will allow customers to make the best of the feature, and to make WD shine on the feature as a competitive advantage. This is unfortunate as WD could have made a nice selling feature out of what they already have. NetGear touted built-in OpenDNS where WD is mute on this feature. For these reasons, I believe WD Networking is still in its starting mode. Not bad, but still awkward. It's up to WD, like any start-up, to improve and shine from here, or fall to the wayside into oblivion.

On the good side, all wired and wireless devices (a few laptops, desktops, smart phones, wireless printer, VOIP Phone) worked without change (since I cloned the configuration of the existing router) except one that has an inexpensive Wireless N150 USB Adapter by PatriotMemory.com. No matter what I did, the same USB Adapter works with DIR-825, but choked on WD N750 - No internet. To make it more confusing, the link between the computer running on Win7 Enterprise and the router appeared to be good, but there's no connection.

After a day of trying, I found out that the adapter and the router didn't agree on the way the latest (wireless USB adapter) driver from PatriotMemory.com worked between them. I uninstalled all drivers and utility software for the USB Adapter, and let Windows 7 Update find its own driver (version 2010), all worked well. So if you have trouble with a particular computer when you bring up your router, it's most likely the driver that is incompatible between them. I believe this is a common problem when you mix and match different wireless adapters, some are from cheap (namely low quality) brands with a newer router. So this is not WD fault. If you mix in with Win8, you will have another variable to contend with. If you don't want any trouble, your best bet is to stay with your existing equipment. Slow or not, it works (until it stops - then you will have to replace it and face the issues similar to what I had here).

The bottom line is following:
1. This is a good router for what you pay for. You get attractive shape and lots of nice features with decent performance for $50. But don't expect a top of the line router for that amount of money.
2. While Western Digital is a mature and well known player in the hard drive arena, their networking group shows that it's still in its infancy. Given time, all babies grow up. Time will tell if the baby grows into a movies model or every day Jane or Joe, or someone in between.

If you choose to adopt early products, good luck to you. The fun is in the ability to make things work even when they work awkwardly.
on March 30, 2013
This is the best router I've owned. Before getting this router I had a cisco-linksys e3000 as the access point and netgear wndr3300 as a client router. The linksys was running tomato and netgear was running DDWRT. They were working fine in the first floor, but the signal was weak in basement where I had my home theater setup. So I was looking for another router so that I can have a client router in the basement too. Got this router and replaced the e3000 as the main router. I am not sure if it can be flashed with DDWRT or tomato. It was not needed anyway. This one is a winner straight out of the box. I noticed a speed and signal increase all over my house. Notably on my laptop. I have a lenovo u310 which has some know wifi issues. Many users of that laptop had wifi complaints. Mine could get 5-7 mbps top while my internet speed was 25 mbps with the e3000. I thought it was the laptop and I was connecting to 2.4 ghz channel and that could be another issue. Anyways with new router the laptop is consistently hitting 25 mbps on the 2.4 Ghz channel. All in all i am very happy with the purchase. I will update about the other functionality such as the USB file server soon.
on March 11, 2013
I bought this router from BestBuy when they had it on sale for $50. My thought was that this router had all the features that I wanted, at half the price of the big names. I would still reccommend this router at that price for regular internet browsing or low bandwith users. It was super easy to setup out of the box, looks great and has a strong list of features.

It seriously lacks execution. Though it has good range, the drop off in speed is significant the farther you go, much more than other routers I've had before. Even plugged in the gigabit ports, my Xbox360 had significant lag on multiple games.

I returned the router and picked up the ASUS N66 - and what a world of difference. Hands down, its worth paying more for something you use as much as a wireless router. I would stay away from WD routers.
on March 10, 2014
this review is more of a quick howto. do not read this review if you do not know what SSH or DDNS are and how to deploy them. I this router for 29$ and decided to try to get DD-WRT onto it. I failed miserably! DD-WRT will not work on this router!! However - OpenWRT works and it does so quite wonderfully. I have Dynamic DNS, remote SSH, Asterix PBX with Google Voice and other neat tools running stable on this router, i even purchased 3 more of these routers and use them as WDS Bridge Clients to expand the reach of my networks without running expensive ethernet cables. google "my net n750 openwrt" to get the directions on how to flash openwrt to this router. Once flashed, you will have to telnet into the router to begin your configuration [ "telnet 192.168.1.1" ]. type "passwd" into the command line to assign a password then type "exit" to exit the session. The next time you need terminal access to the router you will have to use ssh. To get the web interface up and running first connect the router's WAN port to a live internet connection and connect your computer to one of the router's LAN ports. [you may want to disable your computer's wifi to keep your sanity] ssh into the router and run the following commands. "opkg update" THEN "opkg install luci" THEN "/etc/init.d/uhttpd start" FINALLY "/etc/init.d/uhttpd enable". You can now configure your router via an easy to use web interface. the openwrt wiki has a bunch of guided on how to add the features you desire to this router. the two i will mentions here are setting up remote SSH and setting up Dynamic DNS. To enable remote ssh, login to your routers web interface. navigate to |Network>>Firewell>>Traffic Rules| add a new rule called SSH. Set the protocol to TCP and the external port as 22 [or whatever port you desire]. Save & apply these settings. you can now access your router remotely. this a great for SSH tunneling! to assign a domain name to your router using Dynamic DNS simply navigate to |System>>Software| in the search filter enter "luci-app-ddns" then click on the tab which says "Available Packages" and install it. Reboot your router and a new services tab will appear. Configure DDNS from there. wifi is disabled by default. enabling wifi is pretty straight forward and self explanatory from the web interface. It's good housekeeping to backup your routers config before installing new packages or changing configurations.... and oh, if you plan to install the PBX, the software package i used was "luci-app-pbx".
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2013
Dropped internet connections often and could only be resolved by powering off, sometimes several times an hour. WD no longer makes routers and has not updated the firmware in a year. Returning this router for one made by an actual router company committed to firmware support.
on April 27, 2013
I had this router for a couple months now and here are my notes:

The Good:
- Great 2.4 GHz speeds(Really good at close range compared to others but it drops off speed really quickly)
- Average 2.4 GHz range(Lower than competitors such as the RT-65R which had full bars most of the time in areas where this had 2-3/4 bars
- Average 5 GHz range/speeds
- No connection drops
- Guest networking
- Clean router page
- No annoying blinking lights on the front :)
- Two USB for this price
- Runs really cool compared to others
- Power on/off button

The Bad:
- QOS didn't auto detect speeds when choosing to
- Printer occasionally drops off the print share software which forces you to close the program and re-open it to print.
- Firmware updates are not occasional.
- No 6 to 4 IP?
- Misleading "Extender Mode" when is actually just "AP mode"
- Bulky power plug

This is a pretty decent router for the price from what I saw. WD has really nice price points for these routers for what you're getting. I'm unsure of how their support is since I haven't needed to contact them yet. I would recommend this router to people who want a good/somewhat high end router that's cheap and will work well.

*WD N750 on 2.4 GHz with Android phone connected at it's max 65 Mbps -
DL:28.5 Mbps
UL:4.79

*Asus RT-N65 with same setup -
DL:14.31
UL:4.58

*Note: I pay for 22/5 with high bursts on speed tests(Up to 60+ Mbps which quickly falls off when I tested how much I could of my speed I could get).

Update(9/2/13): I should note that something in this device is very cheaply made. I moved this router around a little bit and with special care, something inside broke and I can hear it clank around whenever I turn the router as it falls to the other side of inside the router.
on November 14, 2013
Arrived even faster than the estimate but that is just the cherry on top.
This router is AMAZING!
For starters, I pay for only 12 Mbits but I usually get more like 22Mbits if I use Mac Address filtering with no encryption and between 16Mbits and 18Mbits if I use WPA on my old Linksys 802.11g router. Still more than I am paying for and still nowhere near the limit of 54Mbits of 802.11g. So I never thought I needed a new router.
Then the new Dual Band routers started coming out (at $200+, mind you)...and the SIMULTANEOUS dual band and I started thinking. My router performs well, except in the far parts of my house because of band crowding with my neighbors all having powerful signals. At 5,000 square feet, a single router is hard pressed to reach every corner of my house at full speed. Further, I sure would like a wireless storage area network without having to run another computer just for that.
Do I just get a repeater/WAP to solve the signal issue? Do I need 3, one for each floor?
Then THIS router came to my attention...and at the STEAL price of 39.99. It plugs into my USB drives for a wireless storage area network AND prioritizes my streaming services for ROKU, Xbox, tablets and phones for faster streaming media.
So I got it...and THEN found out the best part.
I am now getting 30Mbits on the same connection I am only paying 12Mbits for with NO difference other than this router (this does not mean YOU will get that...but if you, like me, actually have a faster connection that is being limited by the speed of your router, you may).
I even switched the old router back to repeat the speed test to make sure.
Having a full-on home domain and TWO guest networks that are isolated doesn't suck either.
And I have full speed at every corner of my house.
All this with using only this ONE router. My old router is packed away in case I ever need it.
On an informative note:
I read through every single review before I made my decision...and there were a couple of negative ones to be sure.
But I also looked at the grammar and spelling of (some of) those reviews. If you can't grasp elementary school writing to spell common words, I can see how following directions to set up a router might be beyond your capabilities. For everyone else, the direction could not be simpler. This router works amazingly well.
on May 28, 2015
I bought this a couple of years ago. The last few months my internet had been insanely slow. I was constantly rebooting. A couple of days ago and after a few calls to Comcast I decided I would test where my problem is coming from. I suspected the router from the beginning.

I looked online and found out this router is compatible with OpenWRT. Then I realized that OpenWRT is kind of a pain to mess with, I had installed it on another router a year or two ago. I looked around and saw a recommendation for Gargoyle (which is basically a version of OpenWRT that is very easy to use). I spent a couple of hours doing research to make sure I was making the right choice.

WOW!!!! As soon as I installed it, this router was working like new, maybe even better than new. I was seriously considering buying another router. Install it and you'll see the difference is night and day.

Just to save you time.

Download Gargoyle here http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php . Pick the one that has mynet-n750-squashfs-factory.bin on the end, if it's your first time installing this or you don't have OpenWRT installed. If you have OpenWRT installed (I didn't mine was factory settings) go to the same page and download the one ending in mynet-n750-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin .

Then follow these modified instructions which I used instead of following the official page. http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/wd/n750 this is the official OpenWRT page where I modified the instructions from. (Notice no have to use SSH or any complicated command line stuff in my instructions?)

1. Download the file from the site I listed above.
2. Configure your computer's IP address to 192.168.1.10 (static) and connect to a LAN port on the router.
3. Turn the router off.
4. Using a paperclip, press and hold the reset button on the bottom of the router and turn it on. Hold the reset button for at least 15 seconds. At this point, the blue power LED will be blinking. More details about steps 2-4 can be found at WD Emergency Recovery.
5. On your computer, go to http://192.168.1.1 in your browser
Upload the file that you downloaded earlier.
6. Log into Gargoyle 192.168.1.1 and configure your setup, whether it's wired, wireless or both.
7. Change your computer's IP address back to Obtain an IP address automatically.
8. Reboot your computer, once the computer booted back up if you didn't have a working internet signal you should have it now.
9. Enjoy!