NARS Blush, Mata Hari
Color Name: Mata HariChange
Price:$38.50

Some of the colors look scary in the compact because they are so highly pigmented. Exhibit A, for example, is a bright clownish looking orange-red that surely has scared off many a gal. But for those who know how to use a blush brush properly (ie, high quality bristles, good construction, a judicious amount of pressure, good blending), these babies pay off. And I mean pay off not just in beautiful color, but in how long they last, because this quality and pigmentation means you don't need to use a lot. One of these can last you a long, long time, even with daily use.

I have Exhibit A, Torrid, Taos, Crazed, Luster, and Mata Hari, which covers a range of warm and cool tones. Exhibit A is my fave go to red blush. Using just a touch of my duo-fibre MAC brush on it (ie MAC 187 brush), this deposits a beautiful, face-brightening blush to the cheeks. Too much and you look like Bozo, so this does require restraint.

Mata Hari is a lovely, feminine, cool pink-rose tone that I, who have olive skin, can wear and look like I was out walking briskly. Those two are my fave ones from NARS as they are matte. The others have some shimmer and require even more care in application and go well with a shiny gloss on the lips.

Luster is more like a highlighting color for me (it's a goldeny-lustrous color on me). It's pretty much the color of my skin with shimmer, so I can put it on without a color payoff, but it gives a nice glow that I like for days when I look "tired". A perking up thing. Also nice for adding glow when going out at night/to a party. On a lighter person, it's probably a nice warmth on the cheeks, sort of like a subtle bronzer. Could probably highlight eyes, all over, too. It's versatile.

Crazed is a deep raspberry pink with shimmer (ie, a cooler color that has glowiness). Taos is like a somewhat warm deep rosed-up red. It's a color that will definitely suit darker tones, but can be used by fairer women with much restraint. Torrid is a gorgeous deep peachy sort of tone with shimmer. I'm wearing it today with Manhunt by NARS (lipstick) overlaid with Red Devil coral-red gloss by MAC. Torrid is not as deeply-intense as Crazed or Taos, but it's not a shy color either. Will give a nice payoff.

I'm med-dark olive toned (NC44 in MAC) and all those look fine on me. I'm ordering Gilda to add to the peachy colors in my blush collection (which right now includes two MAC peachy tones and one by Physician's Formula). With summer coming in, I'm looking for peachier/warmer tones.

These are expensive-ish, but these are top-notch, and it's no wonder makeup artists and celebrities love NARS blushes. (Note: I don't own the much-touted, much-beloved, nearly legendary Orgasm, though, which is more suited to ligther-than-me gals, but it really is pretty in the pan. I have heard good things about Super Orgasm colorwise, if you don't mind having chunks of glitter fall off your brush.)

UPDATE: I got my Gilda blush and it's lovely. A soft-textured, nicely-pigmented matte peach that will look fabulous with peachy-coral and more orangey glosses for Spring and summer, or even with nude glosses.
Color Name: Orgasm
Why do they call this 'orgasm'? Because all you see are sparkles??? ugh.

I am very pale, and have auburn/reddish hair. This color SHOULD in theory look pretty spiffy on me, but I can't get past the fact that it looks like a GLITTERBOMB exploded on my face. What the ..>?!?!?!?!? And easy to overdo? Yes indeed! This blush is very very silky and soft; use a light hand. You can always add more but woe be to anyone who overapplies it. You'll look like a feverish clown!

For us (ahem) older ladies, try the Deep Throat. Pretty much the same color, without the glitty garbage all over every pore on your face!

UPDATE: I have the Orgasm/Laguna duo (reviews and photos and comparisons to other products coming soon) and it has been sitting ever since my horrifying discovery out in daylight, that there were glitter bits on my face from using the Orgasm blush. I have since discovered---your brush makes a LOT of difference. I switched to a very fluffy Real Techniques brush instead of my usual blush brush; it deposited gentle color and the glitter was very iffy. (As in, you couldn't really see obvious glitter but if you were verycloselikethis you could see tiny bits) I have revised my review a little bit. Still giving the advice that it's easy to overapply and, this color is sure not for everyone, but I don't want to shoot it with a silver bullet any more. If your skin has any tendency towards redness at all, I implore you to do a test run with this before you count on it looking good for any important (or public) event! I practically have to get microscopic amounts of this on the brush or it's too much for me, and does nothing positive to enhance my complexion. Pretend it's poisonous if you put on more than three nanospecks of it, that will help :-)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2010
Color Name: Taj MahalVerified Purchase
Sam Fine, known as the master makeup artist for women of color, pointed to NARS Taj Mahal blush for any women of color in his blog. I am so glad that I read the blog and followed up on his valuable pointer. The color and properties of this blush are worthy of praise. Because the pigment is rich in color, I underline the importance of a gentle initial application, building color to fit your need. Upon seeing the color, I was concerned it would be too loud. I had never worn a pigment this bright or this orange. Also, I'd never worn a blush where the pigment carried so much color. It was with delight that I realized a far better outcome than had been my experience with Bobbie Brown and MAC cosmetics, two exceptional brands. Beyond the need for a light hand in applying the product, I'd recommend that other products used on the face be neutral, golden, bronze, brown and/or have an orange hue. For example, this burnt orange color blush will not work with pink or berry lipsticks. I found it to work very well with Cargo's Dark or Medium Bronzer, depending on your color. Cargo Bronzer is another Sam Fine pointer. I've been very pleased with brown and vanilla eye shadows and MAC's Chilie lipstick, a burnt orange color. For detailed and foolproof directions on how to apply, I recommend Sam Fine's DVD: FINE, the Basics of Beauty. Additionally, because the blush does not come with an applicator and the color is rich, it is important to have a blush brush to apply and blend.
on February 8, 2013
Color Name: Deep Throat
Although I am a dedicated MAC girl, their blush shades just don't do it for me. I went looking for the legendary Orgasm blush but was put off by all the glitter. Deep Throat is slightly softer and with much less sparkle. It is highly pigmented and requires a soft touch. It is also brighter than the picture on my screen. On me, it looks like my natural flush. This is definitely my HG blush.
on August 3, 2012
Color Name: Exhibit AVerified Purchase
When searching for appropriate colors in nars blush for my skin tone it wasn't so easy! So I'm writing this not only to review these blushes but as a color guide to anyone with a medium dark complexion.

It's important not to go too light because the blush WILL look chalky or there will be no color payoff. So far these colors have been most flattering
1. Mata hari
Matte mauve pink. Gorgeous for everyday adds a natural looking flush to the cheeks. It is lighter than MAC slave to love blush which was one of my old favorites before I tried NARS!
2. Taos
Described as a dusty rose, but has coral tones on my skin tone. Has some shimmer but not very noticeable once applied to the skin. This one is very long lasting. Nice for brightening up your day...and your complexion!
3. Taj mahal
Looks very gold in the pan but adds such a pretty warmth to the cheeks that's a little shimmery and lit from within. There are many ravs about this blush on beauty blogs and YouTube and its true!
4. Desire
A scary bright bright bright pink in the pan but also very good quality giving cheeks the natural flush you crave for everyday. I've also seen this one on deeper skin tones and it still looks natural and flattering
5. Love joy
I was wondering if this would show up or just look like shimmer on my skin. After application it was a brownish berry color with slight shimmer and the blush I choose when I'm doing a strong smoky or colorful eye look. Looks very natural on my skin tone. Can't really be used to contour because it has the berry tone. The nars site describes this of a bronzed rose but on skin tones similar to mine would be berry toned.
6. Exhibit A
I've seen this on light medium and deep skin tones and it is widely flattering! Turns more red than orange on my skin but can look more orange on you depending on your undertones. Every woman should have this one in their arsenal. Some people believe this gives the most natural looking flush of all. It also photographs really well and looks good on video! Lol :)

Start your collection with any one of these if you're skin tone is similar to mine. NARS blush is one of the best blush brands out there I encourage you to try at least one even thought they have a higher price point. They are very pigmented and last a long time too!

I have grown my collection!
Torrid : a peachy shimmer....you would not believe how beautiful this is on my cheek...that lit from within look!

Sin: glowy mauvy cheeks very beautiful. Also gorgeous on lighter skin tones to my own

Dolce vita: with a very light hand i can pull this one off. A little harder to blend than the others

Amour: my new go to everyday color. Very beautiful and natural on my complexion. Probably the orgasm or deep throat for deeper complexions. I'm a mac nc43 btw. My love affair with nars continues.....
on May 22, 2013
Color Name: OrgasmVerified Purchase
I usually don't buy into hype, but I've been hearing about this blush for almost fifteen years - that's about since I was in high school - and I was always curious about the blush with the risque name. Back then I obviously couldn't afford 30 dollars for a blush, but I finally after all of this time I decided that I would buy this because it was purported to be the absolute must-have universal shade.

Well, I'll start off by saying that the color is very beautiful. I will give it that - especially since it looks super intimidating in the pan because it looks so vibrant. But, honestly, this really is over-hyped and over-priced. Not only is this color not terribly unique, but the wear on this is quite disappointing.

First of all, I can't see this flattering all skin-tones as the company claims. Now, I happen to have light golden skin and this does flatter me beautifully. However, the golden shimmer in this is the real highlighter (literally). If you have medium-dark to dark skin, that's all you're going to see - the shimmer. If that's the look you're going for - fine. But then you're better off just buying a regular highlighter, for that matter - perhaps something cheaper, at that.

The other issue I mentioned before was the wear. Up until recently I never really considered myself to have oily skin, but for the last couple of years I've been using very potent acne medication and it dries my skin terribly and, as a result, I suspect it sends the oil in my skin into overdrive - I mean, it comes back with a vengeance. In any case, maybe this just doesn't seem to last long on me because the makeup I wear makes my skin oily. Or maybe I'm just not putting enough on (I don't like have to pile on blush. I give my brush five swirls. For some colors and brands, that could be overkill - but this one is just that light. Either way, anything after five is overkill for me regardless.). Whatever the case, this blush is pretty expensive for it to be fading on me as quick as it does. I mean after four hours, it's barely there. There's the shimmery residue but the color is adios.

My consensus is that the name clearly gave this blush its cult status. On its own, its just nothing special. I've seen so many make-up dupes for this shade (and for cheaper) that it really makes you wonder if this one is just really worth it. Wet n Wild blushes are more vibrant and - on me, at least - they last all day.

So would I recommend against buying this? No, not if you're just curious like I was when I bought it or if you already wear this brand. This was my first buy from Nars. I prefer Bobbi Brown, Urban Decay, and M.A.C (no surprise there, right?) for my make-up. But like I said, I just wanted to finally try this. So, I did and it's just okay.
on August 2, 2007
Color Name: Orgasm
I would be the last person to pick up a magazine and go by what they say would look good on me!! But I have to say this is a great blush on fair skin!
I have tried, Mac, Lancome, Stilla and Becca, tints, creams you name it but this is the blush that gets the compliments from strangers!!! It sometimes does have a little too much sparkle, but on the whole this is the blush you will come back to time after time! Don't waste money on others just buy this one!!!
on June 6, 2012
Color Name: OrgasmVerified Purchase
NARS Orgasm blush does just what its name implies. The rose blush with a gold shimmer makes me GLOW like I just enjoyed myself VERY MUCH.

Or, if I'm under the weather or running on empty, it can actually counteract the greenishy-grey pallor I sometimes get. This is the first blush I've found to magically do this in the 18 years I've worn blush.

But that is if and only if used in moderation. Too much can actually make me go from actually feeling awesome to looking like I'm covering up a week of sleepless nights. I think it's too much shimmer. Looks unnatural.

So put it on lightly, especially on the apples of your cheeks (but remember, when you do blush/flush, you glow all over), finish the rest of your makeup, even take a few minutes away from the mirror, then reevaluate whether you maybe need more.

I have extraordinarily fair skin with pink undertones and dark blond hair. I tend to wear only "lighter than light" concealer under my eyes (by The Balm), blush (and a dash of pale bronzer by Maybelline in summer), and lip gloss (LipFusion in Summer). Dressing up, I put on mascara (still haven't found one I love). Minimalist, and I don't love shimmer. But I love looking healthy.

That said, this blush is billed as a blush for all skin tones, and I know it looks great on light and medium skin with both pinky and peachy undertones. The "Super Orgasm" has too much gold for my skin and too much shimmer for my preferences, but this has just the effect I need.
on May 13, 2012
Color Name: Deep Throat
NARS blush in the colour Deep Throat is basically the fair-skinned girl's version of Orgasm. It has a little less shimmer and has more peach and less pink, which is great for me as I am very, very fair-skinned with a pink undertone and found Orgasm to be a little too pink for me.

The blush is highly pigmented, goes on easily and lasts all day. I wear this blush every time I leave the house, whether I am in full makeup or going foundation free and highly recommended the colour Deep Throat to any other porcelain skinned girls.
on March 16, 2013
Color Name: Deep ThroatVerified Purchase
This color is beautiful! I purchased this color over the popular color Orgasm because it didn't have a ton of sparkle. Deep throat is a pretty build able pink color with a small amount of shimmer. Love it!