on August 7, 2007
Format: Leather Bound
I'll give it a 5. I can't help but compare it to the KJV Concord Wide Margin.

It is much lighter and somewhat thinner than the Concord Wide Margin due to paragraph format, smaller print. The inner margin is a bit narrower than the Concord as well.

The goatskin is more pliable which I do prefer. The print is clear and readable. However, I do find the Concord bold font to be the most readable of all.

This NASB has fine paper, pages do not stick together, easy to navigate - this is a Cambridge trait.

I personally prefer the verse format over the paragraph format, but only because it is easier to look up single verses. I'm sure I will get used to it, the paragraph format is superior for reading and getting the context. I would also have prefered it in black letter edition.

Of course with the NASB, you get a superior concordance including proper names, and of course, great center column references, far superior to the Concord KJV.

In terms of quality, I would think that this would be the best made NASB available. I have returned some of the other calfskin editions for quality reasons. Once you have owned a Cambridge (or some of the fine Oxfords), you come to expect a lot when you shell out $150 for a permium leather bound bible. This NASB meets that bar.
Format: Leather Bound
This Bible is really what I've been looking for for some time. Its high quality construction, like the little sibling, Pitt Minion version, jumps out at you when you lift if from the box. The leather feels even better than the Pitt Minion Version. As the description says, its wide margin, larger print, and heavier paper, all make it an ideal "working/studying bible." Not to be confused with a study bible, it's a reference bible in which you can write your own notes, important observations, add to the references, etc. It has 2 ribbon markers, 15 very high quality maps (one map takes two pages, therefore 16 pages of maps), with a substantial map reference/guide, concordance, and additional blank and ruled pages at the back for lengthy notes. Its just so nicely laid out and the materials are so high quality, Its what I wanted for my long-term repository of notes and study.
I found two minor issues, one quality and one design. The design issue is that the ruling on the ruled pages is printed all the way to the margins, and with several pages it adds up and is visible on the "gilded edges", especially when the bible is open, it just is not aesthetically pleasing as it could be. By this I mean that you have these beautiful gold/red pages, and then in one section of the face of the edges, you have all these little tick marks running the full length of the edge (open face of the closed Bible). Its minor, but could have and should have been avoided by not printing the lines the entire width of the page - an oversight in an otherwise very fine work. Lastly, my copy has about 2" on both the front and back inside leather covers that is not glued over/down properly; the folded leather from the outside, that creates the seam running around the front and back covers very slightly stands up in about a 2" length on both front and back. I'll probably repair it myself in 3 - 4 minutes, but again, it should not have been there in the first place. The bible is so nice other-wise, and I say this owning several high end bibles (Four Nelson signature series, and 2 other goatskin Cambridge Bibles), that I really can't send it back even for replacement because I want to start using it right away.
I guess the only substantial complaint is that its too large for my liking. BUT, I don't see any way around it when you get larger print, ample note space, thick paper for help in bleed through (I use drafting micron pens which are permanent and never bleed through, even on thinner paper) and reference, maps, concordance, etc. Its a large bible, but about average for a "study bible" and bit large for a reference bible.
I'll definitely purchase again for others.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Leather Bound
Cambridge Bibles are the world's best. There is simply nothing close to their markmenship. I only wish that other Bible publishers such as Zondervan, Nelson, or Crossway would take a lesson from Cambridge Bibles and follow their lead.

In this edition of the popular Pitt Minion series of Bibles from Cambridge we find the world's most literal translation, the New American Standard. The Pitt Minion comes in the King James and the New International Version (both of which are worth getting as well), but the NASB tops them both in its literal translation. I hope that Cambridge will release the Pitt in the New King James and the English Standard Version in the future.

The Pitt Minion has great leather, onion pages (or commonly called Bible paper), and has cross centered references. The words of Christ are in red. The only negative to the pitt minion series is the small letters. If you need reading glasses then I do not recommend the pitt series but for those who enjoy the NASB and want it in genuine calfskin leather in a compact form, this Bible is for you.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2007
Format: Leather Bound
Like most Cambridge Bibles, the quality of this Bible is top notch. It is a bit pricey, but when you consider it should last a lifetime the cost is worth it. Personally, I have only two minor points that I would change if I could: (1) The 8 pt. type is a little bit smaller than I would ideally like; (2) The inner and outer margins are not the same size. As this is a double column Bible, it would be ideal if they were. I would hasten to add, though, that the smaller inner margin is still 1" wide, which is sufficient for my own use. Again, all in all, if you're looking for a top quality wide margin NASB, and if the caveats don't bother you, you won't do better than this.

UPDATE on 4/26/08: Examined the goatskin. Absolutely the finest Bible covering I've ever seen. If you can handle the extra $$$, you absolutely won't regret it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 17, 2007
Format: Leather BoundVerified Purchase
The Cambridge NASB Pitt Minion Bible in black goatskin leather is a treasure for any person who is fond of the great old Cambridge traditon. Let's start with the cover. This Bible is bound in genuine goatskin leather. There isn't a better leather out there for the price than goatskin. It is soft and thick, tough and yet very pliable. This Bible just feels great in your hands. When you hold it open in your hands you feel like you are holding a real Bible made in the old tradition. And it smells great!

The binding is sewn and opens flat, which is really outstanding if you like to study at a desk or table. The page edges are art gilt, red under gold, a process that is more expensive for Bible makers but reflects a much higher quality Bible.

The paper is nice. Smooth, opaque, strong, and non-glare, so it doesn't tire the eyes. The print is quite small but readable if you have decent eyesight. This is a reference Bible with center column references and a concordance. This is remarkable for such a small Bible.

If you appreciate traditional Cambridge quality, you will love this Bible. Designed to last a lifetime and pass down to your children or grandchildren, this Bible is worth every penny you spend.

Dr. Mike Kear
Format: Leather BoundVerified Purchase
I got this Bible back in September of 2007. I have to say that It is the best Bible I have ever laid eyes on. The art gilt red over gold edges really makes a statement when you are carrying your bible around. The font size is a really good size for a wide-margin Bible. I never have trouble reading the text, even in dim light. The paper quality is the best I have ever seen and felt. The pages never stuck together;this is the only bible that I have not had to turn every page to keep it from sticking. The margins are very generous in size. You have space on each corner of the page for notes. As for the goatskin leather, it was as if the Bible just melted in my hand after I took it out of the box. I know someone who says, "It's like trying to hold water in your hands". I have to say that it is true. After 5 months of using the Bible, the feel of the leather as only gotten better! You may be thinking, "How can I spend that kinda money on a Bible"! I just ask you to think about all the other things in our life that we spend money on. We make sure that we have the best this and that. Should we not have the same mind set when it comes to that which gives us the very Word of God. I would never ask someone to spend money that they don't have; but if you can afford it, I promise that you will not regret the purchase of this Bible!

God Bless:-)
review image review image review image review image review image review image
Format: Leather Bound
I have many bibles, and won't attempt to argue the ESV vs. RSV vs, KJV vs NASB, etc. issue, I own several copies of each. However, I must say that this is very close to the best Bibles, I have ever owned. From an overall quality perspective, its probably the best, from a materials perspective, it might be second after the Signature Series from Thomson (which does not have the NASB available). The binding, leather, pages, and very importantly, print quality, is just wonderful to hold and use! Add to this, the small yet readable and useful size, and the concordance and references, this is a must have! IF you're looking for a small, reference NASB, this Bible is undoubtedly the best available.
VINE VOICEon September 3, 2008
Format: Leather BoundVerified Purchase
I admit it. I'm a Bible junkie. And for Bible junkies like me, this is the Holy Grail. This is Cambridge at its very best! Genuine goatskin and fully leather lined as well. Straight out of the box it melts like butter in your hands. And the aroma! I'm pretty sure I got some sort of leather high just from smelling this Bible.

The paper is perfect. Smooth and opaque. Not too thick and not too thin. Great for notes. And there is plenty of space for that in the generously wide margins. The pages are edged with art gilt (that wonderful red under gold that only the best Bible makers use any more). In addition there is a nice section of blank lined pages at the back of the Bible for outlines or study notes. This fine Bible comes with two black ribbon markers, color maps and a good concordance, too.

I also own the Pitt Minion NASB in goatskin and this follows the same pagination. In fact, it is identical except that the print in this Bible is much larger.

I'm pretty sure that this is as close to perfect as you can get in a wide-margin NASB. I love it and look forward to using it for years to come.

I'd give it 10 stars if I could!
on July 21, 2010
Format: Leather BoundVerified Purchase
This is by far the best quality Bible you will find. If you are looking for a Bible to last the rest of your lifetime and are tired of poor bindings that don't hold up, you won't be disappointed w/ this one. I used a Thompson's chain reference study bible before this one, and they just aren't made as well as they used to be, and after just 4 years I was already unhappy w/ the wear mine had received.

Reasons I love this Bible:
- Goatskin leather cover- you can't get any better than this!
- Smyth Sewn binding- this is THE best binding available
- Quality pages- thick enough you can write on them w/ out bleed through
- Wide margins- wider than I was used to, but now I love having the extra space to write in notes.
- LOTS of blank pages at the back to write in extra notes or outlines, and even an alphabetized section to make your notes easier to find when you need them.
- Smaller NASB Pitt Minion Reference Black Goatskin NS446XR also available w/ the same page printings but in a little bible, so when you need to bring a small Bible w/ you, you can use the Pitt instead, but the verses are still located in the same spot on the page as what you're used to in this one.

By the way, I highly recommend using the Pigma Micron pens to write in this Bible, they are archival ink and won't feather/bleed/fade over time. I also recommend NOT using highlighters, but getting a nice set of colored pencils for underlining

Amazon won't let me give outside links in the review, but on my website (which you can find on my profile), I have helpful resources and a great article for those in search of a good quality Bible (on the "Growing Christian" page).

Happy Bible shopping!
on October 4, 2008
Format: Leather BoundVerified Purchase
I'm going to mention up front that I own approximately 20 Bibles, all of them leather. Most of them are Thompson's made by Kirkbride, or Cambridge. Of the Bibles widely available today, Cambridge probably makes the best.

I recently bought the NASB wide margin goatskin version. It's a fantastic looking Bible with a very soft, flexible cover. The pages are well thought out and attractive. The cross references are plentiful, and the concordance is pretty decent. The margins are certainly wide enough to write on. The NASB-U is a very solid version, probably the most literal availible. Somewhat easier to read aloud than the old NASB without much sacrifice of literalness.

One thing that I've come to appreciate with this Bible is the section in the back with about fifty lined pages for notes. It really comes in handy if you want to record notes regarding things that you've learned. The margins are fine for quick notes here and there, but this gives you space for longer topics. There is also a section of blank pages with alphabetical headings. This would work great if you want to write a little about topics like faith, justification, trinity, or etc.

I've also bought Cambridge's NIV wide margin Bible, and examined the wide margine KJV, both of which are nicer than this one - as nice as it is. So, if you aren't hung up on getting the NASB, seriously consider Cambridge's KJV or NIV wide margin offerings.

When my wide margin NASB arrived, I was disappointed. The front cover, where it folds over into the inside, was loose. Apparently, it wasn't glued down. I could have fixed it, but didn't want to fix something that I paid good money for. So I sent it back and got another one. The replacement is perfect. This brings about another point. If you happen to find that your Cambridge is defective they will replace it with no problem at all. In my case they even covered shipping. That in itself is a great reason to go with Cambridge.

In summary, this is a very solid Bible from a solid company. It's not their very best Bible, the KJV and NIV wide margin Bibles are nicer, but it's probably your best choice if you like the NASB. Mine had a loose front cover, so between that and knowing how nice of a Bible Cambridge can make I can't quite give a five star rating. Make no mistake though, this is a Bible that you'll enjoy using and it should last a lifetime.