Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Platform: PlayStation 3Change

on March 2, 2014
Being a NASCAR enthusiast I have had every Nascar game since about 2000 back when EA had the license etc. I have been around a while. I will say this game is a pretty fair improvement over NTG and NTGIL. Both of these games suffered terrible because of a lack of research pure and simple into the dynamics of Nascar racing and very poor beta testing. Nascar 14 is a good game that will be very challenging. I agree with most the online part of it is broke. What I cannot figure out is how everybody seems to have blazing speed. You start a race and in 2 laps the lead cars have a 6 second lead at Daytona. That should not be possible period. The function online is very glitchy, lots of lags and cars disappearing things like that. The career mode is starting to get that Nascar Thunder feel to it but is still far from it. Team management in Nascar 14 is going to be more crucial. Depending on the difficulty level you choose your car will not be very competitive until you put money into R&D. Set ups are much more important and you can actually improve your cars handling unlike Insideline. In that game any adjustments you made just made the car super loose. There still seems to be a linear feel to the game that I do not understand. The AI cars still seem to be on a rail, the cautions are anything but random. (You most likely will be the one who causes the cautions about 80% of the time.) There still seems to be a love affair by the AI to make it so all your doing during the race is clicking off laps. Of course all 43 cars will finish every race. (Those of us that no this type of racing no that simply does not happen. At times as many as 5 cars can drop out of a race just from mecanical failures. In a pile up others will end up out of the race as well.) If you use a wheel an issue I have noticed is during race restarts it dumps you into 1rst gear. It is a big time challenge to restart with out spinning your tires. Restarts typically you will be passed by about 10-15 cars. What I really feel has improved in this version of the game is the ability to mix it up in the pack. I have been running the difficulty at 75%. At Daytona I was actually able to bump draft without wrecking people, and at times I would actually accidentally bump into someone lightly or someone bump into me and not cause a wreck. At Las Vegas my third race of the start of my career I actually was able to win the race with fuel strategy. My car even with a good set up was aweful, but because of a random caution when I pitted it put me in a position of being one lap short on fuel. I actually was able to save fuel and I ran out just as I crossed the finish line on the last lap to victory. I have never done that in any other Nascar game ever. That kind of dyanmic is what us enthusiasts look for. I wish we could see random engine failures, tire failures, some teams can only afford to drive a couple of laps and then park. That would give it a very real feel. And for goodness sake get the cautions right. In Nascar, due to the type of tire that is used if there is debris on the track that will bring out a caution, anybody wrecking or leaving the track other than to go down pit road brings out a caution. Caution laps. Caution laps run will vary depending on debris or clean up on track. You will not see these types of things in this game. I would like to write a lot more but I would be writing a book. This game is fun and yes needs a lot of improvement still, but please folks give it a try.
on February 25, 2014
So I've bought all three nascar titles from this company. All of the them were bad but this one takes the cake. Unrealistic damage and physics, horrible AI, so buggy it crashed my system 4 times in the two hours I played it while trying to give it a chance. Unplayable is how this game is best described. Save your money and maybe somebody else will get the rights and make a decent nascar game. The EA titles from 10 years ago for PS2 have this game totally outclassed.
on September 5, 2014
This game is so frustrating. The car physics and wear & tear reality is probably the best in the history of NASCAR. However, this game is full of glitches and frustration. And perhaps it has the worst offline experience of any racing game out there.

The Pros: You are able to manipulate the speeds in adjustments quite well and short term vs long term adjustment affects are amazing. Further, the physics of tire wear and suspension damage are quite realistic and less arcade. However you are able to set the wear & damage settings so you can race for simulation or arcade. The custom paint schemes are much better than the EA era.

The Cons: Online play can be very risky. There is a risk every time your race goes to caution in an online race. Meaning the cars sometime slow to a crawl and fight for position heading into the pits and sometimes a car gets knocked out of pits and glitch won't allow that player to continue in the race as he gets stuck in limbo.

Also when returning from the first race in a fresh lobby the best bet is too close the room as if you race a second race you are likely to have your system freeze either in loading screen, in the race or on the way back to the lobby from second race.

Third fatal flaw is the offline computer AI. it is completely unrealistic and make this game horrible offline. The company says they use NASCAR telemetry for the settings. However, when is the last race you saw the top 30 cars withing 3 seconds after 20 laps at tracks like Watkins Glen, Pocono, and Michigan? They practically stay in a parade formation until first pit stops. In real NASCAR races, most races cars are usually spread out quite a bit in about 3 laps relative to track size. Also the cars controlled by AI are non-reactive and just run the designated line and typically will spin you if you make any aggressive maneuver.

Another peeve is the cars and schemes missing in this game. The original roster of drivers is a hybrid between cars from last year and this year. They have since updated but originally was missing Bayne, Whitt, and Michael Waltrip. Still is missing Allgaier and #32 team. Also Harvick and Dillon have one scheme and Brad K just has two. Whereas #5, #18, #48, and #88 seem to have unlimited paint schemes available.

Overall there are a few bright spots so it gets 2 stars instead of 1, but I can see the disappointment where some of those 1 star ratings are coming from.
on March 13, 2015
If you want to drive Cup car in a practice, test or even a qualifying session than this game is for you. If you want to simulate a full race, don't buy it. At Matinsville at 40% AI they go 5 wide into all the corners. They tried to six wide but the track wasn't wide enough. Also going into a corner (at martinsville) your breaking for the corner and your turning in to the corner and the AI can break harder than you can and punt you up the track and then the rest of the field pummel you. They also don't know how to miss a spinning car after was rammed into the inside wall. Overall the AI are stupid and way to aggressive to have a relaxing race at any difficulty setting. Hope when they make the next game they improve upon the game. Unlikely, but we can dream.
on September 21, 2014
I would love to love this game, but it is just lacking in polish and riddled with bugs. My favorite bugs include: no engine sound in career mode (engine sounds work in single race mode) and the rear view mirror disappearing after the first yellow flag of a race. Plus tons of little intermittent bugs. In a race at a Daytona, the yellow flag came out. Half the cars slowed to pace speed. Half the cars slowed to about 100 MPH. All the cars continued to lap for about 15 minutes before I just gave up.
on June 24, 2014
Don't waste your money. I own every NASCAR related game since Dirt To Daytona (2002), this is the worst, most glitchy, most locking up, waste of money yet. So disappointed. Actually, quite angry. Never had the issue others did with past games, can't even finish one race with this one. Ridiculous.
on March 8, 2014
this game is better then its predecessor , but that being said it has many bugs. it freezes up alot , this game could just have been made as an update to NTGIL . it is very much the same game , it has an expanded career mode that is better then NTGIL , but still leaves you wanting more control, the paint boot except for a couple small changes remains the same , with the same shapes to layer. the online has a pick a race feature which does make it easier to find a race but because they have a one min timer, you are often greeted with a popup saying that game is no longer available . it also added League's that you can create . the connectivity issues that plagued the last game have still crept up, and there is still lag issues. im not sure if it was by purpose but almost every start every car spins their wheels, something that adds a lot of skill to the restart, but often ends up with an immediate Yellow flag. in a private race NOW only the race organizer can invite friends, leading to many races being run with small groups, but if you know a lot of racers thats not an issue. the graphics are as good as the last game but no better. the gameplay is smooth and realistic, the AI drivers are tough and multi player is very fun almost addicting once you get intoa race that is. i wish i had wait for thisgame to lower in price before i bought it but im not to broken hearted about that. where this game is the best is multi player via the playstation network
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2015
As someone who has played pretty much all of the NASCAR games you think the newest one would be the best one (lets face it, 15 is just a season update for this one). However this one it's the worst one I have played in a while. The AI is extremely aggressive and wants to wreck you in every corner, also when come off of pit road to merge onto the track they just cut right in front of you sometimes. In addition, some of the cars that are supposed to run in the back are somehow up front in some of the races (Cole Whitt finishing in 8th at Kansas? Not very realistic.). Most other aspects are fine but R&D in career mode can get tedious unless you enter a cheat code in the options menu. And because the AI is aggressive you'll have a tough time of it trying to win the Sprint Cup in career mode even on 30-40% difficulty. Do yourselves a favor and get on on the NASCAR games on PS2. If you have to get a NASCAR game for the PS3 then this is for you but Id suggest Gran Turismo or go for one of the F1 or Grid games.
on March 1, 2014
First off, if any of you reading this has played and/or own NASCAR The Game: Inside Line, then NASCAR '14 is nothing new. To me, that isn't a bad thing. I actually like NTG:IL, even though it does have its flaws. Like I said, NTG '14 is really NTG:IL just redone with so graphical face-lifts such as the home screen and in the "crew workshop." I have read reviews of people have serious crashing of their systems and games, and I am happy to say that I haven't had my system or game crash once since buying it. I did like NTG:IL and I hated NTG '11 so I really like this game. If your somebody who loves soundtracks in game, then you will be disappointed with this game's soundtrack. All the songs are terrible but I don't think that that will make a consumer boil down his/her decision whether or not to buy this game. Overall, graphics are the same, and I haven't really noticed a difference with online since I haven't played it that much because I've heard of laggy servers... Basically everything thing that was in NTG:IL's online is on NTG '14 from what I've heard. But, like I said, I actually like this game. I was hesitant to buy this and I'm glad I did after reading bad reviews on Amazon. Only reason I gave it 4 stars was because of the lack of creativity with the UI and the AI is actually kind of tough, even at 25% difficulty.
on September 15, 2014
Graphics aren't the greatest In a car racing quality game, but they are good enough.
As for the game play. Career mode has glitches that should have been fixed. Such as constent opponent Ramming and police PITing your car.
One example I was races in bristol in 5th place there was a caution flag thrown from a car far In the back. Once in the caution they put me in 38th position, why?? Glitch glitch. It happens a lot.
So if your looking for a realitc race game with real things that happen buy a different game.
But if you want a game were all you do is get throw around and you want to throw others around then get this game.
Other then the glitches and constant pushing and crashing of your car, this game is ok. But far! From a 4star rating