4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Game, Still some Gameplay flaws
The strongest part of 2K has always been presentation, and they really took it to the next level with 2K12. The court looks amazing, the players seem twice as real and detailed, even with 2K11 doing a pretty good job last year. No more alien faces or generic-looking bench players. The soundtrack is the best I've heard on a basketball game.

Now for the...
Published on October 6, 2011 by Zach

3.0 out of 5 stars After the initial "wow" factor the frustrations mount.
Published on November 11, 2011 by Michael Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Game, Still some Gameplay flaws, October 6, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)

Now for the gameplay: The movement is much smoother and feels considerably more realistic. Ball physics are slightly improved, but still not great in my opinion. One thing that really annoyed me in 2k11 was how you would swipe at the ball and knock it loose, but the AI would always grab it before you could. This flaw is minimized, but still exists. The shots are smoother, but it's hard to get used to each player's different release. Proximity of a defender seems to have little to no effect on whether a jump shot goes in or not. I find that I make more contested shots that open ones. I had a wide open fastbreak layup to win the game and the PG completely missed it. Once you get position in the post, it's much easier to make a shot, but it's also extremely difficult to guard the post on defense. I've quadruple-teamed guys several times down low and somehow they got it to go in, followed by the commentator saying how porous my defense is and how wide open the paint was. Defense, even on Pro and even Rookie, is much more difficult than in previous games. Staying in front of the ball-handler is nearly impossible, and it's too easy to accidentally run past your man. My team doesn't seem to listen to the defensive control pad sometimes. I'll tell them to "lock down paint" and they run out to the perimeter to double-team the PG and leave the paint vulnerable to a 1-on-3 mismatch. Also, blocks happen much more frequently and the AI seems to have a slight advantage on the boards, particularly on the offensive end.

In conclusion, this game looks amazing. The presentation will blow you away. The gameplay is fun, but will certainly take some getting used to. I've played a lot of NBA games, and I've found it really hard to win in this game, even on Pro. Some of the AI's impossible makes, especially in the paint, can be frustrating, as can some wide open misses. The defense got the biggest revamp, and I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but it's certainly more difficult. The modes have been improved, but are basically the same, with the addition of create a legend. If you're a die hard fan, you will probably love this game. If you're a casual fan, you might find it somewhat frustrating. Still, I give props to 2K for trying to improve significantly even after 2K11's success. Rosters will be updated if and when the lockout ends. Grab this game to fill that empty void left by the lack of actual NBA basketball.

3.0 out of 5 stars After the initial "wow" factor the frustrations mount., November 11, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
This is a review from a big fan of "classic" NBA, the great teams and great players from days gone by. So as you would expect I looked forward to this title with much eagerness and got it on day one. And when I first played it I was in awe of the packaging, the cosmetic touches used to recreate some of the great all-time teams and rivalries in NBA history. The graphics are great for a basketball game (aside from the occasionally odd animation or player rendering) and the presentation is heads-and-shoulders above any sports game that I have ever played.

But when I got past the cosmetic some intense frustration with the game play quickly followed. Much like last year's iteration the passing system is just incredibly bad. I know they wanted to create a sense that in order to acquire steals you needed to play the passing lanes etc., and they wanted the defenses you play to be operating in this way as well to enhance realism. The problem is that you have no ability to determine what sort of pass you throw (bounce pass, lob, etc.) and so you are left up to the mercy of the game's passing logic to try and make the best pass available for a given situation, only it makes absolutely horrible choices most of the time. You will see a a wide open teammate and attempt to pass him the ball with the PG (not a poor passer and not on the run but at a complete stop) only to have it sail over his head or to a player on the opposing team. This makes running a fast-breaking offense like the 80's Lakers anywhere near efficiently a nearly impossible task. Hell, simply running a conservative offense I still garnered double digit turnovers each game.

Another significant problem is the seemingly sheer randomness of most button presses when attempting to do pretty much anything in this game. You think by pressing a button designated "shoot" you would then release a shot, but often that is not the case as you may find yourself thrust into an animation where you shove your shoulder into another player to create space (where you really didn't seem to need any additional space I might add) and not shoot the ball but rather hang on to it until you press it at least two more times (the other press causes you to then pump fake) by which time you have been blown for a three second lane violation. This is far from a rare occurrence as random animations seem to be the rule of the day in NBA 2k12, and despite what is advertised I have found them to rarely be "interruptible".

Driving the lane is usually an effort in futility as there is apparently an invisible force field that the opposing teams players can extend past their bodies to prevent your player from going past. I am playing with Michael Jordan on one memorable occasion and I have the baseline and plenty of room to get by the other player and he doesn't move his feet and cut me off (at least according to what I saw) I merely am unable to proceed past him and instead shoot a fall away jumper. Supposedly you can use "isomotion" dribble moves to penetrate, but I found these to be so maddeningly complicated and inconsistent (this particular motion does this one move this time and then another move another time etc.) that I have given up anything beyond the most basic.

Also the game is extremely glitchy. Teams that I have unlocked via the "Legends" mode will later be re-locked with it no longer registering that I did indeed won those games and unlocked those teams. I put in code that was available with purchase to unlock a couple of teams (and that was tedious as the server was down for like two weeks) and now I find I have to redo the entire process.

Those are perhaps minor complaints compared to the sheer frustration this game is to play at times. Passing and shooting the ball are the basics for any basketball game and when you can't get that right then all the packaging in the world isn't going to make it a good game.

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait for the patch!! -_-, October 28, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
okay, i bought 2k11 last year as soon as it came out. Played 2 MP's and a lot of exhibition/online games last year. I would say this is my most played game aside from the far off blackops.That said, i think im a decently experienced 2k basketball player. 2k12 has a lot of the things that we as gamers wished 2k11 had, but it also has a lot of annoying flaws and under-developed new features. I understand that not everything is always perfect with games (specially with only 1 year) but i hate how people keep telling others to wait for the "patch". Why should a patch fix the incredibly bad passing? Didn't we let 2k know about this last year? Bad lop passes last year, so now this year our guy tries to through it through his defenders face. nice -_- It was too easy to get into the paint and dunk. After 10 games played my layups end in blocks 60% of the time. How i get blocked by a C who has his back turned to me and is running in the other direction i don't know. Taking away the crew mode? fail. Why play MP if you can't show your guy off? Okay, so people hack and cheese...they do that in normal online.I wish instead of just avoidin the problem they had implemented ways to limit cheating.New training camp? awesome! I have to go through all of the shooting drills to get to the last one (the only want i want to practice) not so smart. Online association? Awesome! It lags worse than normal association, not awesome. Improved ball handling and more "realistic" gameplay? GReat! My ball handler bouncing the ball off his teammates foot twice a qt? annoying. I think the realism isn't the problem here, more along the lines of still crappy A.I. Teammates still tend to do REALLY dumb things and like i read on some reviews the game needs Base offense,defense plays that run when no plays are called. Overall, while 2k12 will probably feel better than 2k11 i think this game is not worth the 60 i spent on it. I could of stayed with 2k11 for a few more months and then bought it for 40 or even 20 :/ maybe instead of 2k13 they should go for 2k14 and not rush games.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game ever!!!, October 21, 2011
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
I am 40, my sons 15 & 12 this game is the perfect mix of Old School and New School. We are having hours of enjoyment and bonding time because of this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars NBA 2k12 -- Once Again Another Complete Basketball Sim, April 21, 2012
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
Let me get this out of the way so you won't dismiss this review as ignorant gushing. NBA 2K11 was the best sports game of all time. Period. End of story. With the classic teams ranging from the Seattle Sonics to the rugged Detroit Pistons, it was a real treat for both new and old NBA fans a like. Then they threw in the improved graphics engine and the few core gameplay tweaks that helped refine the experience. I honestly thought NBA 2K12 had no chance to match what NBA 2K11 accomplished, but I was wrong. Once again, 2K Sports puts out another solid addition that is better than its predecessor.

One of the things that fans of the series are going to notice right away is that the gameplay is now at a fluid, organic pace. In previous versions, player movements were often seamless, but were sometimes buckled by awkward animations. It could ruin the experience and make you realize that you were playing a game. Now, the player movements are seamless and the animations have never been better. All the animations in NBA 2K12have all been tuned to look identical to the person on court.

A big focus for this year's game is the re-design of the post game. All you have to do is press `Y' to get into post. Hop step is now a part of the shot stick, which gives the player more options to easily dominate the court. It felt weird at first, but as time went on, I enjoyed this year's controller set-up more than last year's setting. Much like the post game, the overall defense has been improved. No longer will AI run out of position, giving up an easy bucket. Now players will deflect and steal passes if you're not paying attention who you're passing it to.

Michael Jordan returns to be the cover athlete for NBA 2K12, but the story is really about who's playing with him this year. Sure, the Jordan Challenge feature was fun and the highlight for many Chicago Bulls fans, but NBA's Greatest mode is the best sports mode ever. One of the few problems I had with Jordan Challenge was the stat-tracking milestones you had to achieve. It really took away from reliving and experiencing the Chicago Bulls as a unit or the teams they played against. In NBA Greatest mode, they have done away with the side objectives, creating an unforgettable experience.

There is a 15 total legends you can play with, ranging from favorites like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Shaq and Michael Jordan, to old superstars like Jerry West and Bill Russell. After you win a match, you are awarded with the ability to let NBA's Greatest players face off against today's superstars.

The Highlight and main attraction for me in NBA 2K12 is the presentation. It's simply staggering how they captured and recreated the best sports broadcasts in a game. In the commentators' booth, for the first time we have three play-by-play commentators, with Steve Kerr joining an already stellar cast alongside Kevin Harlan and Clark Kellogg. Steve Kerr gives real incite about your favorite player with a dose of humor and brief Basketball trivia. 2K Sports has gone to great lengths to present basketball games as they were presented during their era. I found it odd to play Bill Russel's Celtics in the mid `60's and have it presented in black and white, but it grew on me and I found myself having a better appreciation for the NBA (please no lockout) and how it has changed over time.

My Player, one of the most popular modes in NBA 2K11, has received the most changes this year. If you thought My Player was impressive before, then you're going to be blown away by how much has changed. The gameplay has been vastly improved, more accurately reflecting real-world gameplay. I was drafted as a point guard for the Phoenix Suns. This time I was not automatically given an important role like last year. I had to work my way into the starting role, but because it's more streamlined, the mode is incredibly rewarding.

New to the mode is player contracts. You can know, bargain and control where you want to take your talents during the off-season. Besides rookie contacts, you automatically have the power to change a team into playoff contenders or be the missing piece to the triangle offense. This plays into post-game interviews, something that has been greatly expanded. Before, what you said to the press didn't make a difference on the court. Now, players won't pass the ball to you if you call them out in the press. It brings a little of an RPG aspect to the game. One of the few problems that still remains with My Player Mode is the cheesy AI. Far too often, the AI would storm back while my teammates acted like Lebron James in the 4th quarter. Overall, My Player is a sweet gateway for fans who can spend endless hours playing in this rich, deep mode.

Association Mode returns, but it's mostly the same, which is a good thing. Association Mode puts you in control of your favorite team. Thanks to a bump in presentation values, Association Mode truly jumps off the screen. Trade AI is smarter than ever and "it won't be fooled again" (YEAAA). Commentating makes playoff games seem important, as you eventually win an NBA championship. The newest addition to Association Mode is the new online feature. Time will tell if online mode will be a success, but I'm glad that 2K Sports have finally fleshed out online leagues. If the servers hold up, this could keep players interested for a long time and turn it into a basketball version of Madden's Online Franchisemode.

NBA 2K12 is a great game. By far the best basketball game I have ever played. What I fear could hurt 2k Sports is the impending NBA lockout. With a lack of roster updates arriving, many will soon be turned off, muting how great NBA 2K12 is. That would be sad to see, because many would be missing out on one of the most complete games on the market. I would recommend this to anyone, sports fans and non-sports fans alike. The sheer amount of high quality content on here is exceptional. NBA 2K12 is a must have for basketball fans this holiday season.

Score: 9.5 out of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game!, October 10, 2011
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
Just received this game today and I must say that it is awesome. The graphics are great, the game play is smooth and the presentation is wonderful as well. It's great to see that so many different legends and legendary teams can be unlocked (including a young Shaq during his Orlando years). All in all a great game. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars You will learn to love it..., October 4, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
First time playing a basketball game on the PS3 platform, and the game is so realistic, its frustrating to get used to. So when you first play this game, dont expect to when, because there is a whole lot of getting used to, especially this being the only NBA Basketball game in the market now.

Pros: The graphics are near perfect. I love playing as classical Jordan. The street mode is still on the 2k Series along with My Player aka. 24/7 series is still there. very traditional for the 2k Series.

Cons: Had trouble with my promotional access code. im beginning to question if it really works. You have a hard time skipping the parts outside of the gameplay, like when there is the rotational substitution, and replays. Its hard to start playing. soon as you put the disc into the PS3 for the first time, you have to sign up for the 2kSports.com stuff, but this is what ESPN.com is for... =/

overall this game is much loved. if 2k was still making football games, id be buying those too... im glad i pre-ordered from Amazon because i got the $10 worth of credit.. Amazon is the best...

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad bad bad....., June 5, 2012
JPR "Tp" (Rochester, N.Y.) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
This game is just bad, gameplay is horrid, players don't cut to the basket when they do and you try to to pass it to that player it doesn't happen, no it passes the ball to the other team or the wrong player, foul calling is awful everything is for the A.I, it's just brutal. Play calling is difficult you have to try to look through a bunch of plays when I just wanna call a simple pick and roll. I loved 2k10 but this is awful, don't waste your hard earned money on this, stay away. This is what happens when you have a monopoly, they need EA to bring back the live franchise. I have never been A's frustrated with a game then I am with this one. Don't get me wrong I love some competition and balance, fun and challenging games but nothing of that here, no balance at all. The developers should be ashamed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken! :(, February 7, 2012
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
I absolutely LOVE 2k12 but after 3 days whenever i brought up the game it froze during the first loading screen it froze every single time i tried cleaning it (even though it wasn't dirty at all) and the same thing happened to him so be careful

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but is missing some things, October 27, 2011
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
Well, I have not payed much attention to baskeball games for a few years. My roomate had one of the recent 2k games, but I didn't pay that much attention to it. The last basketball game I really played was NBA live 2005. I was really surprised with how well this game is put together. Compared to mlb the show, a franchise I have played in depth the last 3 seasons (and one many people consider to be a model for sports games), nba 2k12 really rocks. I think its probably the best sports game now in terms of realism and gameplay controls.

The graphics are top notch and the presentation blows away both the show and madden 12's so called new and not so improved presentation styles. The controls in the game are designed well, but are quite difficult at first to get a hold of. You will definitely need to use the tutorial in this game, although its not laid out very well. You have to sit through an explanation and demonstration by a famous nba player. You cannot skip directly to the demonstration and the word boxes are a bit to slow to get through because you cannot skip them. However, there are a few mini games where you get test your new skills in the tutorial which are quite fun. The button combos consist of either holding L2 and moving the left stick or just moving the stick. Moving the stick a certain way will allow your player to perform a certain move. R2 is designed the same way except it is used for dunks, layups and some post moves. This sounds easy at first, but it can be quite difficult to remember all the nuances because the moves branch off each other on the stick. Thus, the game has a little bit of a learning curve. Fortunately, once you start get these down, you feel more and more in control of the player. It is very satisfying to master these controls and know which moves work better in certain situations. Its a whole level of control you will not feel in some sports games like madden with EA's we made the game for everyone-yet for older players to model in which the controls feel too simple sometimes.

I only rented this game so did not get to play every mode extensively, although from reading a lot of other reviews about this game, some features are almost unchanged. One of these is the association mode (franchise). If you played 2k11, there is no difference and the streaky trade AI is still present. There is also an online association mode which I heard was very weak. In addition, there is a my player mode similar to Road to the show in MLB 11. However, I enjoyed this mode a whole lot better in 2k12. It is generally more fun and provides you with a better in depth experience despite being a little shallow. You have to do some simple interviews that will affect where you land in the draft. They are not very long or in depth, but its more than you will find in other games. You also get to play sort of a scout game with other college pros to show off your ability. This was difficult if you did not have much experience with the game. Either way, I found myself being drafted in the first round anyways. Depending on where you go, you will probably start out on the bench. You can skip instantly to whenever your time to play comes up. You have some objectives to in the game such as having a certain shooting percentage to get your points to spend on your skills. You also receive a pay check in the game and have pay days. As far as I know, you can spend these on new shoes if you please. Can't remember if the shoes were purchased by cash or by skill points, but they are there nonetheless. Overall, its an enjoyable mode and is better than Road to the show.

The only area this game really suffers is its lack of simple features like 1 on 1 and no dunk contest. I was disappointed to find this out when I took it over to a friends house hoping to get some virtual 1 on 1 action. Sadly, this is not in the game. There is a 'street' mode where you can play five on five on a blacktop. First to 21 wins. Its a fun experience, but not that different from the normal exhibition games. The other feature is the NBA greats. I read that in 2k11, you could play with the greats on normal teams with current players and this is not in this version unfortunately. You can't even play as M.J. or anyone for that matter except in the NBA greats mode. This is just a challenge mode where you go back and try to win those famous matchups. They do a good job making it look authentic (Black and white for fifties), but it doesn't feel like anything significant. There is also no variation of a dunk contest. Even in practice, you have a limited number of dunks. Every player has about 5 signature dunks. Simply, run towards the hoop holding R2 and you slam one down. The dunks look great, but there is no control over them. In the old, NBA live series, there was an amazingly fun fleshed out dunk mode with where you could do all kinds of different dunks. It felt a little 'arcadish' at times, but I wished something like this was implemented in the game. Sometimes, its fun to mess around when you don't feel like getting absorbed into the games larger modes. The same holds true in that there is no 3-point shootout either.

I gave this game a five stars fun rating because it is really fun for the modes it does have. I would give this an 8/10, but 4 out of five for amazon. This is a really great basketball game that is disappointing in some areas for lack of very simple modes. Also, it is not much different from the last game in some areas as well. I saw this game for $30 on Steam. If you have the computer for it, that is a pretty good deal. I went to gamestop and could not find a used copy yet. Not many people are taking this game back. I can't say for sure if its worth buying new. Maybe the fact that I tried to find a used game explains its inefficiencies.

NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary)
NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) by 2K Sports (PlayStation 3)
$39.99 $9.99