4.0 out of 5 stars Same as last year

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy from 2K
Published 16 months ago by AJ

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy from 2K, October 7, 2013
This review is from: NBA 2K14 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
They didn't release ONE update for PC on 2k13 and it was full of glitches, cheese, and bugs. 2K14 is still under the "current-gen" title on PC and nothing is different from the console counterparts. Supporting developers that abandon the PC platform and that don't listen to their paying customers is not the way to go. 2K was constantly being told by fans to bring back crew. What did they do? They renamed the online NBA blacktop to Crew and made it 3 v 3 on the blacktop... The computer defense in this game is beyond stupid. Your CPU teammate will literally walk away from a great shooter to help double one of the worst centers in the NBA or the CPU will slide over magically and block your shot. Speaking of blocking shots, half the time you perform a layup your ball goes towards the rim and magically slides over mid-air to which looks like a block but it doesn't even record it. We still have the same generic player-create faces too. There are several more things wrong with this copy and paste game, but I'll leave you a link and you can see all the people complaining through the comments or you can look it up yourself.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Same as last year, October 8, 2013
This review is from: NBA 2K14 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I pretty much only play the career mode and in that case this game is 99.9% the same as last year. The selection of music and the graphic overlays are actually worse. I wasn't a big fan of the gaudy look of 2K13 but it was better than the plain look here. Obviously 2k are putting all their efforts into the PS4 and XB1 because there was none put into this. With that said it's still a fantastic game, just wholly unworthy upgrading to from 2K13. 5 Stars if you're new or a couple of years behind. 3 stars if you had 2K13. So I'll spilt the difference and give it 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars The game works fantastic for me!, February 15, 2014
This review is from: NBA 2K14 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Great game! I own it for the XBOX360 and now for the PC. I was a bit skeptical to purchase this game for PC because of all the negative reviews, but now after playing it for myself, I can say I'm happy I made the $13.99 purchase. The most common negative patterns that I was reading was that this game did not come with the next gen graphics that the XBOX 1 and PS4 have. I can understand that argument, but I will not rate this game 1 star because of that. The other negative issues was that this game is pretty much just a roster update from last year, and I can agree to that as well, but again, I will not rate it 1 star because of that. My motto is don't fix whats not broke, and this game is not broke. I noticed that animations were different, player shots were more authentic, shooting the ball is different, passing the ball is more creative, etc. I can go on. I guess you can look at these differences as minor updates from last year, but overall the improvements are good, just not significant.

1.0 out of 5 stars I just threw $30 away, no exaggeration, November 24, 2013
This review is from: NBA 2K14 (Video Game)
I just threw $30 away buying the highly broken, freeze-prone PC version which has NO UNINSTALLER and is simply unplayable. NBA 2k14 for PC is intolerably stupid. First, it takes an hour just to get into the game due to the new player account creation and apparently non-responsive 2K servers. Second, even after creating an account (which, I have to wonder, why that's even necessary?) it will get stuck on the login screen (after waiting 30 minutes, had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to escape and kill the process!!). Third, there is NO UNINSTALLER!!!! When you insert the disc, it immediately starts running the game. There is no uninstaller in the Program Files or in Control Panel. Un-freaking-believable. And here I thought, shoot, why not give the PC version a try instead of the Xbox for a change?

My son has played NBA 2k for the last few years and loves the game on XB360. This time around, I decided to give the PC version a try so he could enjoy his new PC, and to take a break from the XB360. BIG MISTAKE. It was an unpleasant experience from the moment the disc was inserted. Which, by the way, only works once. After you run the installer the first time, it will never, ever, ever come up again. You can only go into Control Panel to the Uninstall list, and Redo the install, there is absolutely no way to get rid of this game off your PC without manually editing the registry and deleting the files physically (which I'm averse to do). This is absolutely unacceptable.

Why did we need to uninstall it? Because it freezes up at the player login screen, no reply, no interrupt, no option to exit. Have these developers ever heard of a user interface? Do they realize that a game shouldn't just go into an endless loop when looking for a server, without allowing the user to cancel? I would venture to guess that the "physical disc version" is a mostly broken hack of the Steam version.

I thought this was the Steam version, was expecting a Steam code inside. Apparently there is more than one "PC version" of the game, as if that makes any sense. At least the Steam version would be able to uninstall the game easily and re-install it if desired. This physical disc non-Steam game is absolutely broken. Amazon owes me a Steam code and I don't know how I'm going to get rid of this off my son's PC in order to install the Steam version. This sort of experience was supposed to be the heyday of PC gaming, not 2013. I assume the Steam version can be installed/re-installed/uninstalled like any Steam game. The standalone PC version, though, is a total bust.

[EDIT 11/25/13] Amazon gave me a refund with a restocking fee applied and I have to spend about $3.00 to send it back. So I only threw away about $10.00, but it's better than $30. Will apply that toward the XB360 version.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2K Games better than this turd, November 6, 2013
This review is from: NBA 2K14 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
This is a PC version except when you max out the video settings it looks like a mid PS3 build. This game should look just as good on the XBOX One and PS4 but it doesn't and that is sad. Will there be an update? There is a laugh and a half. Buy 2K11 for a $1. Same game, only better. 2K should be ashamed to have released this garbage.

2.0 out of 5 stars lacks a lot of things, January 1, 2014
This review is from: NBA 2K14 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
the pc version is missing lots of things from the console version. if you have a console, you should pick that copy up. the pc version is like a barebones version of the game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Much Fixed, November 2, 2013
This review is from: NBA 2K14 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
The game didn't address many bugs from 2K10, 11, 12, and 13. Many of the new features, including improved playbooks, don't work. For example, many plays don't work. The CPU PG stands there dribbling until the shot clock expires.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware midnight launch promises for downloads, October 1, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NBA 2K14 (Video Game)
Not to beat a dead horse...but the download of this game doesn't work. I realize you probably realize this, but I waited around for hours to play this game and now I can't so I feel like amazon should be berated with extremely negative reviews until its fixed. So that's what this is. I would recommend buying this game and all future games, nay, all future purchases of anything, from anybody, site, store, or shady back alley scam artist instead of amazon. This is unacceptable. Also, I would like to take this time to complain about there not being a zero star option. Or better yet, a negative 1 million stars option, because that is what amazon deserves for this bullcrap.

EDIT: As of now, the game is available on Steam, and as everyone now knows apparently it was an issue with Steam and Amazon not being on the same page, advertisement-wise. It is frustrating that we have to get this information from other amazon user though. I emailed and called amazon customer service last night and they were absolutely clueless as to what the problem was, when apparently it was obvious to anyone that purchases games this way regularly, which I do not. But the issue is fixed now and I have also been promised a refund. So amazon has rectified the situation to the best of their ability.

EDIT: As for the game itself, I have had zero issues after 10+ hours of playing. You know what to expect from NBA 2K and this game delivers. If you are going to play a sports game on PC, this is the game to play.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crappiest port ever., April 23, 2014
This review is from: NBA 2K14 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
A friend and I thought we'd buy this game to ya know...play versus each other? Impossible to do without jumping through a horrible interface and a lot of hoops. I've been playing games for a loooong time now and this is by far the worst port I've ever seen. How do you make an online sports game and not have the ability to play against friends with ease?

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst NBA 2K ever..., January 29, 2014
This review is from: NBA 2K14 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I played every 2K since nba 2k2 on ps2, and i think this one might be the worst one so far.
I bought this title for both ps4 and pc. Forget about the graphics and regardless of the online issue which didn't really bother me, the gameplay of 2k14 is really horrible, glitches everywhere and opponent AI also highly scripted. It is almost impossible to play defense either on ball or off ball, AI can do whatever they want no matter how hard you try to stop them, and your AI controlled teammate also are doing lots of stupid moves to increase the difficulties of defense, which makes you feel sometimes the game is not fully in your control. Though 2K series were never perfect for playing a realistic 12min quarter game on default setting, tweaking the sliders will make statics closer to the reality. But this is not the case in 2K14, I found it was so frustrating to get a decent slider. IT JUST DOES NOT WORK!!! like i said, i believed the gameplay is highly scripted, so no matter you set the cpu shot rate as low as 40, 30, or 20, they will make the impossible shot goes in whenever it "supposed" to goes in.