Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Video Game|Change

on December 27, 2013
I am 12 years of age, and I want to share my first hand experiences with the game, NBA 2k14, designed for the Xbox 360. This game was solid, but not amazing by my standards; and that is why I give it a four out of five star rating. In the paragraphs below, I will discuss the pros and the cons of this game.

First, I will start out with the pros: I enjoyed listening to the entertaining 'King James Soundtrack’ which included several popular songs from well known artists such as JAY Z, Eminem, The Black Keys, Daft Punk, etc. Secondly, I liked the overall presentation and creative color scheme presented throughout this game. This got a lot more polished compared to NBA 2k13. Thirdly, I enjoyed playing with the Pro Stick, it allows you to throw down show-stopping moves and toss flashy no-look passes with ease. Finally, I really loved playing with international teams, such as Maccabi Tel Aviv and thirteen other top international teams. This would be cool for people who have lived in countries outside of America and recognize some of the international stars, such as myself.

Now, I will describe the cons in the game: First of all, I notice a lot of glitches that also occurred in NBA 2k13, but this is not a major problem since usually, the glitches are recognized only once in a while. Secondly, I was a little disappointed that the “Creating a Legend” mode was gone. I do not understand why 2k sports would take of this feature, as it was such a big success in my opinion. Also, I have noticed that the “My Career” mode was not modified, like I heard it was on the Xbox One or PS4. This was disappointing and left me wondering why 2k can't just release the same game and let only the graphics become different in between the consoles. Lastly, I've also noticed that at times you constantly and unrealistically get the ball stolen. This can get very annoying!

Now that you know the good and bad things about this game, I want you to know that if you have NBA 2k13, you should probably hold on to it for a little longer and wait until the price of NBA 2k14 drops since although NBA 2K14 is very entertaining and fun to play, it is only a minor improvement over NBA 2k13. I think this is game is still solid as I said before, and I feel like 2k sports releases a great basketball video game once again. I hope this review helps with your decision making process and I thank you for your time.
on October 8, 2013
This game to me is better than expected but still needs improvement in a few areas. I know I'm going to get bashed for this review but hear me out for a second. When I got this game on release day, I felt the same as a lot of people, pissed off. For a lot of years, 2K put out great games that were better than their predecessors. But for some reason this year, I felt that NBA 2K14 was, in a lot a ways, the same as NBA 2K13. It pissed me off immediately. Now, after playing it for a week, I can see the subtle changes that keeps me wanting to play this game time and time again. Such as shot blocking, easier play calling, CREW, international teams, bounce-passing, fancy-passing, online association mode, and more signature skills. These features give 2K14 a different feel than 2K13 for me. Let me also add that I mostly play against other players online or head-to-head locally. I don't care about My Player, association off-line, or Labron James's new mode. And also, let me add that on last years 2K13, when my network connection would default, I used to get a lost. This year it looks like they fixed that problem. As of yet, when my internet connection would disconnect, I won't receive a win or a lost. For me that's huge.

Now my CON's on 2K14 are the following: No new camera angle, players still have sliding movement, much needed improvement on passing, and for me that's about it. Oh, I almost forgot, I wish that 2K would do an overhaul on the soundtracks. I wish they can set up almost a satelite radio within the game so I can pick and choose what type of music I want to hear. Or, have a mixture of everything. I love rap and R&B, so I don't want to hear any pop music when I'm about to beat-down an opponent online. LOL. That's just a thought.

Overall, its a GOOD game. At first I hated this game but after playing it a while, I'll give it an 8.5 out of 10. This is my honest opinion of this game and I hold nothing against anyone who doesn't feel the same.
22 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2013
I reviewed this based off of how they improved the game from last years game. I believe that is how they should be reviewed because we already know that last years game was fun and a success and we know they could spit out the same game and it would still be fun, but I want to see improvement. So without further ado, here is my review.

-The presentation: The LeBron stuff was new and brought a different feel to the game but was otherwise nothing to go crazy about. But at least they tried something new. The most underwhelming part of the game was when I started my first game it felt like I was playing 2K13. I was legitimately concerned that I had gotten the wrong game because of the way the game look and sounded int he game presentation (not really but you get my point). Overall that was upsetting.

-The gameplay: The gameplay did not change much but it did have a few minor improvements. The passing was better but there were still too many sill passes that came out of nowhere. The layups were much better with less open layups missed (although there were still more than I think there should be for NBA players). Overall there were slight improvements to the game but it still felt like the same game as 2K13.

-Steals: The most annoying thing in my opinion was the stealing on the game. You might as well hit X every time the player that you are guarding is dribbling because you have a VERY HIGH chance of stealing it. It goes both ways, you lose the ball a lot and the computer/player that you are against can have it stolen from you very easily. I mean I was stripping point guards like D-Rose and Jrue Holliday over and over again. I would say that was my number one negative in the game. Stripping the ball from a player is a hard thing to do in basketball let alone in the NBA.

In the end I would still say that this is a very solid NBA video game and anybody who wants a basketball game should get 2K14. But the disappointing part of the game is for the players that would like to get the new game every year (such as myself) and try the new and improved gameplay along with new features, which this game is lacking compared to past 2K games. I hope this helps on the decision process on whether to buy it or not.
on March 31, 2016
This was a gift for my 11 year old son. He found this to be a little hard for him. He was able to play it but it was not what he expected it to be in regards to skill level. He did like the music and graphics that the game featured.
on January 2, 2016
This is a kid I like your game it is one of the best games I have ever played .I like sports so this is a good game for me.I really really like it. It is fun and it is awesome.Thank you for making it. ;)
on August 20, 2014
I purchased this for a young man was an in-patient at a local cancer center where I volunteer. It was part of a Christmas package for him that our section put together since he had to spend Christmas 2013 in the hospital. I have never played it, but we heard how much joy it gave him and his family. Unfortunately he passed on after the holidays but we were grateful to have brought he and his family a little happiness during that time.
on June 10, 2015
Played for a few days and haven't felt the need to go back. Game forces you to watch the same post game interview after EVERY SINGLE game...at least a minute of completely wasted time. Let us skip past this!!!
on October 22, 2014
Pros:

Good Graphics - sweat looks like sweat, skin looks like skin, the game looks like the actual game.

MyCareer - Although the voice options are limited (I don't want to sound ghetto or ghetto-er), I actually kind of enjoy the silly dialog. The game is a lot more immersive due to the random convos from players and coaches, as well as your agent.

Offense - Once you figure out the controls you can do pretty well, even with an entry level player with no VC spent. If you drop some $ on VC though it makes the game more enjoyable... which is also a CON. I am sick of paying for a game and then feeling compelled to pay more money to get the most out of said game.

Gameplay - This game succeeds at making sure you play the game as it was meant to be played. Don't try and be the only man on the court or you will fail. If you distribute the ball and play smart, you will get plenty of chances to shine and will gain the respect of your teammates. Over all this game is extremely fun, and I have a hard time putting the controller down.

Cons:

Defense sucks. Normally not peoples favorite part of the game, 2k isn't helping things at all. It's hard to maintain position, and guarding even 'sucky' offensive players can be challenging. They could take me to the rack 75% of the time. The offensive players feel like they have a forcefield around them and they are covered in vegetable oil to boot. The best option is to play the lanes but don't sag off too much because they will drain the open shot. The only plus side to defense now is steals... they require some thought now and are much more rewarding.

Assists - Maybe it's just me but my shooting guard gets twice as many boards as he does assists. It's an ongoing joke that my passes actually lower my teammates shooting % because even though the pass could be right on the money, they still find a way to miss the shot. Even layups. Even open layups. But... they will then proceed to get their own rebound and jam it or lay it up. I'm just sitting there like "wtf man, my assist." I could have 12 passes leading to points and only 3 assists. It happens regularly.

Defense again - Who the heck designed the little coverage arrow thing? Transition defense sucks because it will literally tell you to guard everyone on the opposing team, depending on who is furthest away. This affects your rating because no matter who scores it was YOUR MAN and you ALLOWED INSIDE PASS and you also ALLOWED PLAYER TO SCORE. "wtf man, my ratings" Sorry it's international caps day. It's just frustrating playing the best you can in a given situation and then getting punished for it.

Illegal Screen - Anyone who played 2k14 will know what I mean when I say that Illegal Screen is the new Kicking... It gets called at least 8 times per game on 12 minute quarters.

There are plenty of cons, but don't let that fool you. The Pros outnumber the cons by a long shot, I am just too lazy to list every little thing. I would buy again.
on July 5, 2014
I really like this game, but I am not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination so I find it very difficult to get used to. There are so many commands and things you can do and the game moves pretty fast, so for the novice like me; it can be frustrating. My big complaint is free throws are way too difficult to make and the game does not give you pointers to help like other Madden games.
on June 25, 2014
My 13 year old son loves it. He spends virtually all his video game time playing it, which is just fine with my wife & I. I can't comment on the game quality since I haven't really played it that much. Maybe I'll get my son to sit down & write more for this review. Recommended.