Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: Video GameChange

on December 27, 2013
I am 12 years of age, and I want to share my first hand experiences with the game, NBA 2k14, designed for the Xbox 360. This game was solid, but not amazing by my standards; and that is why I give it a four out of five star rating. In the paragraphs below, I will discuss the pros and the cons of this game.

First, I will start out with the pros: I enjoyed listening to the entertaining 'King James Soundtrack’ which included several popular songs from well known artists such as JAY Z, Eminem, The Black Keys, Daft Punk, etc. Secondly, I liked the overall presentation and creative color scheme presented throughout this game. This got a lot more polished compared to NBA 2k13. Thirdly, I enjoyed playing with the Pro Stick, it allows you to throw down show-stopping moves and toss flashy no-look passes with ease. Finally, I really loved playing with international teams, such as Maccabi Tel Aviv and thirteen other top international teams. This would be cool for people who have lived in countries outside of America and recognize some of the international stars, such as myself.

Now, I will describe the cons in the game: First of all, I notice a lot of glitches that also occurred in NBA 2k13, but this is not a major problem since usually, the glitches are recognized only once in a while. Secondly, I was a little disappointed that the “Creating a Legend” mode was gone. I do not understand why 2k sports would take of this feature, as it was such a big success in my opinion. Also, I have noticed that the “My Career” mode was not modified, like I heard it was on the Xbox One or PS4. This was disappointing and left me wondering why 2k can't just release the same game and let only the graphics become different in between the consoles. Lastly, I've also noticed that at times you constantly and unrealistically get the ball stolen. This can get very annoying!

Now that you know the good and bad things about this game, I want you to know that if you have NBA 2k13, you should probably hold on to it for a little longer and wait until the price of NBA 2k14 drops since although NBA 2K14 is very entertaining and fun to play, it is only a minor improvement over NBA 2k13. I think this is game is still solid as I said before, and I feel like 2k sports releases a great basketball video game once again. I hope this review helps with your decision making process and I thank you for your time.
0Comment44 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2013
This game to me is better than expected but still needs improvement in a few areas. I know I'm going to get bashed for this review but hear me out for a second. When I got this game on release day, I felt the same as a lot of people, pissed off. For a lot of years, 2K put out great games that were better than their predecessors. But for some reason this year, I felt that NBA 2K14 was, in a lot a ways, the same as NBA 2K13. It pissed me off immediately. Now, after playing it for a week, I can see the subtle changes that keeps me wanting to play this game time and time again. Such as shot blocking, easier play calling, CREW, international teams, bounce-passing, fancy-passing, online association mode, and more signature skills. These features give 2K14 a different feel than 2K13 for me. Let me also add that I mostly play against other players online or head-to-head locally. I don't care about My Player, association off-line, or Labron James's new mode. And also, let me add that on last years 2K13, when my network connection would default, I used to get a lost. This year it looks like they fixed that problem. As of yet, when my internet connection would disconnect, I won't receive a win or a lost. For me that's huge.

Now my CON's on 2K14 are the following: No new camera angle, players still have sliding movement, much needed improvement on passing, and for me that's about it. Oh, I almost forgot, I wish that 2K would do an overhaul on the soundtracks. I wish they can set up almost a satelite radio within the game so I can pick and choose what type of music I want to hear. Or, have a mixture of everything. I love rap and R&B, so I don't want to hear any pop music when I'm about to beat-down an opponent online. LOL. That's just a thought.

Overall, its a GOOD game. At first I hated this game but after playing it a while, I'll give it an 8.5 out of 10. This is my honest opinion of this game and I hold nothing against anyone who doesn't feel the same.
22 comments77 of 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2013
I reviewed this based off of how they improved the game from last years game. I believe that is how they should be reviewed because we already know that last years game was fun and a success and we know they could spit out the same game and it would still be fun, but I want to see improvement. So without further ado, here is my review.

-The presentation: The LeBron stuff was new and brought a different feel to the game but was otherwise nothing to go crazy about. But at least they tried something new. The most underwhelming part of the game was when I started my first game it felt like I was playing 2K13. I was legitimately concerned that I had gotten the wrong game because of the way the game look and sounded int he game presentation (not really but you get my point). Overall that was upsetting.

-The gameplay: The gameplay did not change much but it did have a few minor improvements. The passing was better but there were still too many sill passes that came out of nowhere. The layups were much better with less open layups missed (although there were still more than I think there should be for NBA players). Overall there were slight improvements to the game but it still felt like the same game as 2K13.

-Steals: The most annoying thing in my opinion was the stealing on the game. You might as well hit X every time the player that you are guarding is dribbling because you have a VERY HIGH chance of stealing it. It goes both ways, you lose the ball a lot and the computer/player that you are against can have it stolen from you very easily. I mean I was stripping point guards like D-Rose and Jrue Holliday over and over again. I would say that was my number one negative in the game. Stripping the ball from a player is a hard thing to do in basketball let alone in the NBA.

In the end I would still say that this is a very solid NBA video game and anybody who wants a basketball game should get 2K14. But the disappointing part of the game is for the players that would like to get the new game every year (such as myself) and try the new and improved gameplay along with new features, which this game is lacking compared to past 2K games. I hope this helps on the decision process on whether to buy it or not.
22 comments31 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2013
Awesome game, excellent graphics.....got it for my over excited son & end up playing it myself and not much of a gaming person.....Love it!!
0Comment15 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2014
After a hard day's work and being infuriated by bosses, clients and co-workers, all I want is to sit down and enjoy a harmless fantasy. What this game does through their antics to force you to buy credits to make your player playable, is to make the most annoying game I've ever played. The game play is nonsensical and obviously designed to annoy you till you pay for them to stop. It's the worst basketball game I've ever played, and it seems that they get lazier and lazier each year, as they push out another annoyance.
on October 22, 2014
Pros:

Good Graphics - sweat looks like sweat, skin looks like skin, the game looks like the actual game.

MyCareer - Although the voice options are limited (I don't want to sound ghetto or ghetto-er), I actually kind of enjoy the silly dialog. The game is a lot more immersive due to the random convos from players and coaches, as well as your agent.

Offense - Once you figure out the controls you can do pretty well, even with an entry level player with no VC spent. If you drop some $ on VC though it makes the game more enjoyable... which is also a CON. I am sick of paying for a game and then feeling compelled to pay more money to get the most out of said game.

Gameplay - This game succeeds at making sure you play the game as it was meant to be played. Don't try and be the only man on the court or you will fail. If you distribute the ball and play smart, you will get plenty of chances to shine and will gain the respect of your teammates. Over all this game is extremely fun, and I have a hard time putting the controller down.

Cons:

Defense sucks. Normally not peoples favorite part of the game, 2k isn't helping things at all. It's hard to maintain position, and guarding even 'sucky' offensive players can be challenging. They could take me to the rack 75% of the time. The offensive players feel like they have a forcefield around them and they are covered in vegetable oil to boot. The best option is to play the lanes but don't sag off too much because they will drain the open shot. The only plus side to defense now is steals... they require some thought now and are much more rewarding.

Assists - Maybe it's just me but my shooting guard gets twice as many boards as he does assists. It's an ongoing joke that my passes actually lower my teammates shooting % because even though the pass could be right on the money, they still find a way to miss the shot. Even layups. Even open layups. But... they will then proceed to get their own rebound and jam it or lay it up. I'm just sitting there like "wtf man, my assist." I could have 12 passes leading to points and only 3 assists. It happens regularly.

Defense again - Who the heck designed the little coverage arrow thing? Transition defense sucks because it will literally tell you to guard everyone on the opposing team, depending on who is furthest away. This affects your rating because no matter who scores it was YOUR MAN and you ALLOWED INSIDE PASS and you also ALLOWED PLAYER TO SCORE. "wtf man, my ratings" Sorry it's international caps day. It's just frustrating playing the best you can in a given situation and then getting punished for it.

Illegal Screen - Anyone who played 2k14 will know what I mean when I say that Illegal Screen is the new Kicking... It gets called at least 8 times per game on 12 minute quarters.

There are plenty of cons, but don't let that fool you. The Pros outnumber the cons by a long shot, I am just too lazy to list every little thing. I would buy again.
on April 22, 2014
Let me first say that I loved the NBA2k Series. I think NBA2k12 is one of the best sports games ever made. That's why it's so frustrating to play this game. When I first got the game, I put it in expecting to get a quick game or two in.... however, 2k had other ideas as it took almost 45 minutes to install. By that time, I had switched to the 360 while it installed.

A few days later, I finally got around to playing the game. I started with GM mode only to find features that were present in previous games were now taken away. I couldn't force trades if the computer was being ridiculous. Also, I set it up for a 21 game season with injuries off only to find I was set up with an 82 game season and Russell Westbrook got injured in the first week of playing. Awesome.

Now, fast forward to today. I want to play my franchise, but I can't connect to the 2k servers (my internet is working fine because I'm able to stream mlb.tv) so I'm stuck with a game I can't play.

I'm giving it two stars because it's fun when it works, but I can't begin to express how disappointing this game is and how far 2K Sports has fallen. I would not advise anyone to buy this game and instead wait until next year or buy on another system, because this game is a complete waste on the XBox One.

Update: 4/29. 2K servers are down again so I'm left with a game I paid full price that I can't play. I'm forced to take my review down to 1 star because this happens at least once or twice a week. Please Please Please do not buy this game. It's a lemon.
on July 8, 2014
Face off against opposing crews online using your MyPLAYER. Create your logo and face off in 5v5 battles with other crews featuring leaderboards and stats. Play with 14 of the top European teams, featuring authentic uniforms and players. Player attributes and tendencies automatically update daily to reflect true life hot and cold streaks. Now, each game played in the NBA can have an effect on your game. Sure, the new game mode is a little disappointing, and existing modes could have done with at least a small update, but these are minor complaints in what is easily the finest basketball gameplay seen to date – and arguably one of the greatest sporting simulations of all time. I highly recommend you guys to buy this game.NBA 2K14 is a fun game.Especially the game play.It is fun and it is also entertaining.NBA 2K14 is so far the best 2K title of It's generation.Although there weren't some improvements in the graphics and it is clearly identical to last year's 2K13 but still that doesn't matter.The dunks and moves in this game looks cool and it is way more better than the other 2K titles.You can also make your own characters and even make a basketball team in this game.You can also choose what kind of dunk your player will do and the Historical Jordan dunk is really awesome.Even the Historical Drexler dunk is also awesome.This game rocks so It gets a 8/10 from me because of the game play.So I recommend you gamers to buy this new game and try playing It and I bet that you will have a fun time with this game.
on May 15, 2015
1. The AI in career mode is horrible. They do not take wide open shots. They do not move to get open. The AI defense is like a basketball hulk. The defense intercepts nearly every pass, they seem to have an edge when driving into the pain . They reach and swipe on about 40%of the drives. Also, the layout and menus are the same.
2. The shooting is terrible. I play with user timing on so I know how to adjust shot with every player. However when I shoot with excellent timing and an A+ shot I still miss more than half the time. These are NBA players 2k in a VIDEOGAME you should keep that in mind. Ai offense is superior to any user playing.
3. your ai teammates seem as if they haven't left highschool yet. They are extremely clumsy with no hands. It seems as if every pass has an intended location rather than reading the d and making the pass where it needs to go.
4. Teams switch momentum every game making it nearly impossible to play a blow out even tho you are obviously playing better every game online ends up tied in the 4th Q and whoever wins wins.

If I wanted to become an expert at playing basketball I would go outside play basketball. This is a videogame. The mechanics are slow and laggy. 2k13 was much more fun because it was the FIRST VERSION of this game. Put more effort into the game to make it fun rather than tweaking with certain mechanics to make it more difficult. This game SUCKS
on January 6, 2014
Receiving the package?
- The game comes in a nice regular shipping box. Once you open it, there is bubble wrap or from other reviews, something to hold it steady so nothing gets damaged. The game itself is brand new, just like if you were to open any other new game.

Playing the game?
- The game its self is really good. The game play flows thoroughly which makes it a lot of fun. It loads great in the beginning. The game modes are great. If you like to play offline, Association is pretty good. My player is always fun because you just make your my player better by playing and adding his stats. And then there is LeBron. If you like LeBron, playing his story mode is fun. If you don't like him, I still suggest playing it because its interesting
- If you like playing online, Team up is fun if you play with friends. If you don't, it is not as fun if you do not get the ball. Head-to-head is fun, you just have know how to play. And blacktop. That requires a My player. If your player is not good enough, you might not like it at first. But it is all about making your My player better.

Overall....
- Everything is great depending on your likes. It does not freeze, And if you have a bad connection, It will frustrate you online. Overall, it is really good. 4-5 stars*