4.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any Celtic fan!!
Published on November 4, 2004 by V. Pinette

1.0 out of 5 stars Defetive DVD's
I was psyched to watch a classic game, it even included pre game stuff,but 30 minutes in the dvd started to crap out. It happened again with the second dvd I tried. I am too frustrated to try to watch the other DVD's. It's sad that there is no quality control on a the dvd's
Published on April 27, 2012 by Lisa Terrell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any Celtic fan!!, November 4, 2004
This review is from: NBA Dynasty Series: Boston Celtics - The Complete History (DVD)
The 5 disc set is well done with (6) great Celtic games in their entirity. Good to see two Celtic-Laker games from the '84 Finals, which was the greatest Finals series ever. Disc 1 has a good overview of the teams and championships from the 50 & 60's and 70's along with a segment on the Celtic-Laker rivalry in the '80's. Disc 2 has season ending compilations programs for the '81, '84 and '86 championship years.

Included:
'69 Finals Game 7 Celtics-Lakers (4th Qtr only)
'76 Finals Game 5 Celtics-Suns (greatest game ever played)
'81 East Conf Final-Game 7 Celtics-Sixers (Celts come back to win after being down 3-1)
'84 Finals Game 4 Celtics-Lakers
'84 Finals Game 7 Celtics-Lakers
'86 Finals Game 4 Celtics-Rockets
'87 East Conf. Finals Game 5 Celtics-Pistons (Bird steals the ball from an Isiah Thomas inbounds)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tired of crap NBA of today? This fills the void., January 22, 2005
Jerry Graff "Jerry" (Thornton, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
I have been waiting for this DVD set with baited breath, and it was well worth the wait.

To be able to pop in a DVD of some of the greatest basketball ever played is a refreshing treat from watching the boring, slow, selfish basketball of today. Watching these games again, it just blows me away how little today's awful, me-me-me players learned from legends like Bird, Magic, McHale, Worthy, etc. This is basketball as its finest.

Celtics-Lakers '84 probably was the best Finals series ever played, and I say that not just because the C's won. It was high intensity, brilliantly played basketball on both sides (Worthy's stolen pass by Henderson notwithstanding). Watching the '81 Celtics-Sixers Game 7 again literally brings chills to me. I was a 16 year old kid at the time, and was literally too nervous to watch the final few minutes. The Sixers led the whole game, and I was getting too discouraged to keep watching. I went into a barn next to our house, which had a converted hoop inside it, and started shooting baskets in nervous energy, imagining every shot to be a comeback by the C's. When I quickly turned the game on the radio, I heard the cigarette-stained voice of Johnny Most gloriously saying the Celtics had just scored nine of the game's last 10 points and had pulled it out, 91-90. Incredible. My gambit worked. I was on Cloud Nine.

Speaking of Most - the most objective, truth-telling play-by-play man of all time ("The gutless way they do things here" - circa Detroit, late '80s), I attended the Johnny Most Basketball Camp in 1977, in Nashua, New Hampshire.

Some of the unforgettable memories include:

-Johnny yelling at his son, Les, to "pick 'em up and lay 'em down" on the court during the many scrimmages of camp.

- Johnny telling us wide-eyed kids of the time "Havlicek Stole the Ball."

-Us asking Johnny what he'd do if we took away all of his cigarettes (he smoked at least two packs of Kool cigarettes per day)? He said he'd "go right back out to my trunk and get another carton."

-Johnny sitting, alone, in the camp's kitchen, watching an episode of "Hawaii 5-O" on a small black and white TV, telling us he couldn't join us yet until he watched the conclusion.

It's all great stuff. I know fans around the country roll their eyes a lot at Boston sports fans, how much they live in the past and think everything of their childhood was the real "glory days", but you simply have no idea unless you were there how special it was to grow up watching this team. In my case, it started with the early '70s era, with Cowens, White, Havlicek, etc., and continued on through the wonderful Bird era. The basketball was incredible, and it will live on forever on this fine DVD.

I would have liked more, of course, including more on the teams that won the '74 and '76 titles - especially the '74 team. That series against Milwaukee for the title, against Kareem, Robertson, etc., was one of the more overlooked Finals ever, in terms of how great it was. Ironically, the best C's team of the '70s was one that didn't win it all. The 1973 Celtics won 68 games, and might have been the best fast-breaking C's team in history. They were a joy to watch, with their passing and teamwork. But Havlicek broke his arm in the playoffs, and the Knicks took advantage with a series win.

Anyway, Celtics fans need to run, not walk, to get this fine set of memories.

4.0 out of 5 stars HAVLICEK STOLE THE BALL !!, July 13, 2008
The other reviewers have said it all. There's not much to add.

I'd emphasize each disc, of the five in the set, has video on BOTH sides ... so we are talking about LOTS of highlights and full-length copies of games. It takes a whole "rainy day" to watch it.

DISC ONE
INTRO
VIDEO: "THE CELTICS DYNASTY"
B-
VIDEO: BOSTON CELTICS: "A TRADITION OF GREATNESS"
THE CELTS ARE BACK: 1974 NBA PLAY-OFFS
THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED: 1976 NBA PLAY-OFFS
RIVALRY RENEWED: 1984 NBA PLAY-OFFS

DISC TWO
DYNASTY RENEWED: 1981 NBA PLAY-OFFS
1983-84 NBA SEASON: "PRIDE AND PASSION"
SWEET SIXTEEN: 1986 NBA PLAY-OFFS
1986-87 NBA SEASON: "HOME OF THE BRAVE"
VIDEO: "SEARCHING FOR NUMBER 17"

DISC THREE
A-
1969 NBA FINALS: CELTICS V. LAKERS (GAME 7)
[4TH QUARTER/POST-GAME ONLY]
1976 NBA FINALS: CELTICS V. PHOENIX SUNS (GAME 5)
B-
1981 NBA EAST CONF FINALS: CELTICS V. SIXERS (GAME 7)

DISC FOUR
A-
1984 NBA FINALS: CELTICS V. LAKERS (GAME 4)
B-
1984 NBA FINALS: CELTICS V. LAKERS (GAME 7)

DISC FIVE
A-
1986 NBA FINALS: CELTICS V. ROCKETS (GAME 4)
B-
1987 NBA EAST CONF FINALS: CELTICS V. PISTONS (GAME 5)

My favorite segment of the entire series had to have been Game #7, as won by the Celts over the Lakers, in 1969, as Bill Russell and Sam Jones were retiring. You get 4th Quater and post-game only. As a grade-schooler, I was not allowed to stay up late enough, on a Monday night, to watch this game live from Los Angeles. In those days the networks lacked the "juice," to get weekday games from out west slotted into "prime time." That game may have tipped off at 10:30 p.m. EST -- way too late for me, then !! So I love seeing it now.

Pass the word ... the Celts are back !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing NBA Series continues to set standard, July 28, 2009
As the sports DVD boom continues, the NBA shows it is head and shoulders above all the major professional sports in this field. While MLB and NHL DVD's give you the full games but lack bonus features; the NFL has also done this with the NFL teams and they started strong with the elite teams (Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, etc) they have watered it down and given less bang with your buck.

The NBA through NBA TV created "The Dynasty Series" and its continued excellence wins again with "The Boston Celtics"

When your purchase this set you get 5 dual discs (discs that have material on both sides) which allows you to have close to 22 hours of material.

If you purchase at Wal-Mart or hear at Amazon you will spend no more than $25-$30 for this set. That is a beyond a great deal. Unlike the competitor leagues this NBA series not only gives you documentaries but full games.

This set gives you the "Celtic Dynasty" which is an hour documentary on the Celtics rise to basketball supermacy. You get a bunch of other featurettes that concern Celtic playoff runs in the 1970's and 1980's.

What is the meat and potatos of this set is the games you receive the:

*1969 NBA Finals Game 7 Celtics-Lakers - 4th quarter only

*1976 NBA Finals Game 5 Celtics-Suns - the legendary game that went multiple OTs

*1981 NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 7 Celtics-Sixers - Larry Bird matures and guides the Celtics to an Game 7 victory over Dr. J

*1984 NBA Finals Games 4 and 7 Celtics-Lakers - Bird and Magic's first meeting in the NBA Finals and you get 2 great games

*1986 NBA Finals Game 4 Celtics-Rockets - The Celtics steamroll the Twin Towers

*1987 NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 5 Celtics-Pistons - Larry Bird steals the ball

If you are a new Celtics fan looking for material from their recent championship run with "The Boston 3-Party" you will be disappointed this is an older set, but if you love Celtics and know someone who enjoys great baseketball this is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lar-ry, Lar-ry, Lar-ry!!!........, December 27, 2004
I own Larry Bird: Living Legend on DVD and bought this one for my uncle, who is also an avid Celtics fan. Im only 18 so I cant really appreciate as much the Celtics of old...Russel, Cousy, Heinson, Jonses, Cowens, Havlicek, etc., and Im probably too old to give a crap anymore about the "Pierce era," mostly b/c theyve sucked for so long, but it was the Larry era that really did it for me. I dont care who says what, Larry and Magic defined basketball. The 80's and perhaps early 90's was the greatest I've ever seen basketball get. And the '86 Celtics was the best team in NBA history. I personally havent seen the Celtics Dynasty DVDs but being that they include 7 past games, 5 of which are during the 80's, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Like Red said, "I've been blessed to coach some of the greatest that ever played the game. But if I had to start a team today...the greatest player, and the one I'd take would be Larry Bird."

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest, August 31, 2011
I personally think that this Dynasty set is probably the best. I mean from a basketball fanatics standpoint the team in the 80's (The Cheif, Mchale, Bird, Ainge, Johnson) was one of the most selfless team minded basketball teams ever. Granted the Lakers at this same time had the same mentality it was just mesmerizing to see these guys battle it out. Not the fact that it has some old school footage as well. I do wish they put a bit of the Hawks/Celtics playoff games but i understand why they couldnt, it would have been quite alot of footage for one set. But the highlight is truly getting to see the 80's brawls between two of the greatest basketball teams ever assembled. I put this one in front of the Lakers Dynasty set only because it has a bit more valuable footage. A must buy for not only Celtics fans....but mostly for any basketball fan of any kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU ARE A CELTICS FAN, BUY THIS !!, January 21, 2010
The videos were outstanding quality given the games were over 25 years ago. Very hard to believe, but yes it's been that long ! The history of the team was interesting, as the celebratory videos from 81 and 86. The games they chose were pretty good, but I would've liked to have seen one or two more of the Pistons Eastern Conference championship, instead of two Finals games vs the Rockets. Those were good in that they won championships as a result, but we all know the Lakers games are classic, but those Celts-Pistons battles from the late 80's are sort of a forgotten gem. The one in the set is Game 7 from the 87 eastern finals...The one where Robert Parrish clocks Bill Laimbeer blatantly, and doesn't get called for it...Anyway, if you're a Celtics fan, this is a must have...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD!!! Great Classic Game Selection!!!!!!!!!, February 27, 2005
I was very impressed with this compliation of Celtics history. I have been a fan since Bird's rookie year. The best part is the complete classic game footage. I can still hear the play by play voice of Dick Stockton calling those classic Celtic/Laker battles. I have been looking for these games for years and now am glad I have them. This is a must have for any basketball fan. If you want to see real basketball, unlike todays players, watch this collection of Celtic great games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, December 12, 2013
I really enjoyed this Celtic DVD being a big fan of the old Celts when I was a teen. I only wish there was more of the 50's-60's major Celts games which really deserves its own DVD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars WE BLEED GREEN!!!!, August 7, 2013
Bought for my son for a graduation happy. Celtics have been my favorite since I was in Jr High and now I get to share that with him as his Celtics obsession continues to grow!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›