Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$24.99

on November 25, 2008
There has been a pattern in the writing of NCIS that has always been fascinating. Ever since "Bete Noire" in Season 1, this series has always used it's season finale to essentially set up the next season's finale. "Bete Noire" introduced Ari Haswari. In the finale to Season 1, Jethro Gibbs shot Ari to cover Haswari's double agent status--though Gibbs would have preferred to kill Ari. Because Ari wasn't killed at the end of Season 1, he was able to murder Kate Todd at the end of Season 2. Because Ari shot Kate at the end of Season 2--and more importantly, WHY he chose to murder her--we were able to get the backstory of Gibbs revealed, the tragedy surrounding his first wife and daughter, which culminated with Jethro leaving the MTAC at the end of Season 3. Because of Gibbs' "retirement", NCIS Director Jenny Shepard was able to initiate her off-the-books operation against Rene Benoit, using Tony DiNozzo to romance La Grenouille's daughter Jeanne.
So as we get into Season 5, we have the culmination of Shepard's attempt to avenge her father's death by killing Benoit, though she crosses both the CIA and the FBI in the attempt. "Bury Your Dead"--especially its final scene--sets the tone for the season. Though the show has its usual action, interplay between its characters, and bawdiness that has made the show such a wonderful view, there also seems a certain weight to the season. The regular viewer knows the story with The Frog isn't over, moreover there has to be a deeper reason why Shepard seemed willing to pursue Benoit without government sanction. It is the playing out of this season that, again while the season has its usual fun, seems to give the season a somewhat sad tone.
Still, the performances are at their usual high standards. Mark Harmon's Gibbs is his usual self, though we are once again shown more of Jethro's past and his genuine heart. While Michael Weatherly's Tony DiNozzo is his usual obnoxious self, the aftermath of the La Grenouille affair leaves our boy shaken, both because of his feelings for Jeanne and being used by Shepard. Tony's conscience comes in the form of Ziva David; who, while enjoying her usual verbal sparring with DiNozzo, also makes Tony own up to his feelings about what happened and what it may have done to Jeanne. Cote De Pablo's Ziva, with her hair straightened and deemphasizing her widow's peak, becomes a more Americanized woman (and the shots of Cote bending over ain't too bad, either). We didn't have an episode that featured Sean Murray's Tim McGee a season after The Probie's year with his nom de plume (Thom E. Gemcity), but Pauley Perrette's wonderful Abby Sciutto gets her usual fun, especially in "Dog Tags". David McCallum's Ducky Mallard is most representative of the tone of the season, because he becomes privy to the secret that Jenny hides through the season.
This leads to Lauren Holly, and the end of the Jenny Shepard storyline. Shepard seems calmer this season, especially after the disappearance of The Frog (Even propositioning Gibbs in "Lost And Found"), but we figure something had to have been motivating Jenny attempting something that would compromise the agency. That something plays out through the season, and is revealed in "Judgement Day", the two-part season finale, which of course sets the table for Season 6.
The high points of this season are "Ex-File", in which a part of Jethro's past becomes a part of an investigation (Plus, we get a visit from Susana Thompson's Hollis Mann--this episode is capped by a wonderfully sad sequence at the end), "Internal Affairs" (The body of La Grenouille resurfaces, and we meet Rocky Carroll's Leon Vance--Carroll draws greatly from Daniel Benzali's character in "The Agency" from earlier this decade), "About Face" (Where Brian Dietzen's Jimmy Palmer is featured, and reveals a slight obsession with footwear), "Judgement Day" (Which brings Gibbs and Shepard's long-ago Paris operation--the one where they also became lovers--to a full circle, as well as Jethro coming to a sad conclusion about the murder of The Frog), and the simply magnificent "Requiem", in which Gibbs, while aiding the now-grown best friend of his late daughter, is finally able to put to rest the loss of Shannon and Kelly.
Performances of note are Joe Spano--we don't see as much of Tobias Fornell as we usually do during a season. Susana Thompson, whose character retired from the Army when she realized Jethro hadn't recovered from losing his wife and daughter (Why do I suspect that Holly will appear again--in Hawaii, living on the grounds of a novelist, and driving a Ferrari?). Susan Kelichi Watson's Nikki Jardine, the NCIS Intelligence Analyst who happens to be a germophobe (Leading to many moments where the team exploits Jardine's phobia for their humor), and Muse Watson returning as Mike Franks in the season finale, with his usual cowboy demeanor. But Cameron Goodman's performance in "Requiem"--as Maddie Tyler, Kelly Gibbs' best friend as a child--gives the episode the impetus that sets Jethro toward finally making his peace with losing Shannon and Kelly.
NCIS has always been a fun show, with an ability to wrench at the heart in unexpected moments. This is a season that has an underlying tone of sadness and impending tragedy, and it gives the season some unusual depth.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2008
As the titles states, this is a great series. One of the largest factors that separates NCIS from other crime dramas is that the characters are so dynamic. It details enough about their backgrounds while still sticking to the crime busting plot. And as shown from the previous seasons, the series continues to bring up situations that makes it different from the Law and Order, new crime everyday type. If you love crime dramas or even just think they are OK then you will really enjoy this series!
on September 14, 2008
A late comer to NCIS, I discovered the series by accident at the rental store. I had to watch everything they owned, then bought all the seasons they didn't have. Fifth season was one of best. Even though this season was shorter (only 18 episodes due to the writer's strike) it had all the character banter that makes this series fun. Whether its Gibbs one liners, Tony's womanizing, Ziva's seriousness, Jennie's obsession, McGeek's incredible wizardry with a computer (and a cameo with an Iron Fist comic book to boot), or Abbey's incredible energy, this series just brings the relationships between these characters to life. Somehow you come to care about them deeper than you do with other series. Perhaps its because the writer's have snuck so many surprises through the series, or perhaps its because the creators don't insult the intelligence of the viewer and include references to episodes from the very beginning of the series, or maybe its because the actors are having so much fun, but there is a charm and charisma and intensity to this series that keeps bringing me back to watch the episodes again and again.
on September 3, 2008
I have all 5 seasons now and just like Hogans Heroes, I never get tires of watching NCIS. The cast is marvelous and most are likeable or, in Abbys case, lovable. Tony is just Tony. He'll never change. But who wants him to? I just wish the writers would quit making Ziva so interested in Tony. Can't wait for the next season. (Sept 23 I believe).
on March 29, 2016
I really enjoy this show. I broke my foot and was on limited mobility for a month or so. I bought the first four seasons of NCIS to watch and became hooked. Then, of course, I needed the rest of the series! This is a good show with a well-established cast that just works. I have now watched all of the seasons (and my foot is much better).
on September 9, 2008
I thought season 5 was deffintaly one of their best so far. It delt with family, friends, and loss. We see deeper into Gibbs charater then ever before. As good as every episode is, the stand out would have to be "Requiem". On the DVD say say it was their highest rated episode yet. The only downside to this season is they had the writers strike, so it's a short season, only 18 episodes. They do make a good effort to make it up though with more extras on the DVD. I deffintaly got a sense of family with this season, these charaters deffinatly grow closer to each other more this season then any other.
In short I really enjoyed this season,right up to the exsplosive season cliffhanger. I am looking forward to this next season and where these charaters are going next.
VINE VOICEon May 2, 2015
Police procedural, murder mystery, cop show, these are our favorites. We've seen every episode of NCIS and already owned seasons 1-4 on DVD. Recently we started re-watching those old episodes and we think we may be enjoying them more the second time than the first. We now know the characters and their behaviors so well we understand a lot more when we watch the old episodes.

We bought seasons 5-6-7 and very likely will buy 8-9-10-11 in a few months.

This may be our favorite TV show right now. We love the characters, and enjoy all of the humor too.
on October 28, 2014
We love NCIS. We just finished Season 5 last night and it was suspenseful. There are many reasons why I like NCIS, the character development, the realistic scene and science as well as the humor. What I like best of all is that both my husband and I can agree on one show that we both enjoy watching together. We do not have cable, so we either rent or buy movies and NCIS is one that we can always agree on. Plus, let's be honest, Gibbs is the best. They all are in their own way. I just saw an article in a magazine where Mark Harmon says they are moving on to season 12 and it is still exciting. Yes, it is and it is an excellent show.
on October 14, 2008
I have the previous 4 seasons of NCIS. NCIS is the best show on TV IMO. The 5th season was great. Why have I only given 3 stars to my review? I ordered the 5th season from Amazon and what I got was one disk was full screen and the remaining disks were widescreen. When I returned them, Amazon sent me a replacement and the same thing happened, but it was a different disk that was full screen. IMO, Amazon has been better than any other supplier of CD's, DVD's, and books with their return and refund policies, so I assume its the manufacturers. I will eventually purchase it again and by that time, maybe they will have straightened out the problem. But you just can't beat the characters of Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Tony D., Ziva, McGee, Ducky, and especially Abby of any show that's on right now. There is more depth, humor, and love in NCIS than I've seen in any other show in my lifetime.
on June 14, 2013
I love this series and hope to get the remaining seasons. This season only consists of 18 episodes.

SPOILER ALERT: I thought this season ended with the shoot out with the director in the dinner in CA. and thought the next seasons opener was the continuation of that episode. Both episodes are in this set so I'm not sure. The last episode in this set ends with Leon breaking up the team.

In any event, the packaging is pretty much the same as the others, 3 slim cases in the box containing 5 discs. All the discs play fine. I don't care for the splash screens though. The white and blue is too bright or too clear and hurts my eyes. Also, it's not animated, it's just a picture. I haven't watched the special features so I can't comment on them. Some of the episodes have comments from various people but the few I've watched in the past are worthless. It's like trying to watch a move in the theater with someone constantly talking. If you want to include commentaries, please format it like a documentary instead of voice over the episode.

I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys NCIS!