5.0 out of 5 stars New Mysteries To Solve...
"NCIS" continued its superb run as network TV's top-ranked drama series into its eighth season, blessed by the return of an outstanding core cast with its fun team chemistry, and some exciting and entertaining story lines.

Published on May 21, 2011 by D. S. Thurlow

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the series, but 3 for the DVD transfer
Published on January 16, 2012 by OneSeriousReader

5.0 out of 5 stars New Mysteries To Solve..., May 21, 2011
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)

Mark Harmon returns as crusty Senior Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, leader of the NCIS Major Case Response Team, assisted by Michael Weatherly as wise-cracking Special Agent Tony DiNozzo, Cote de Pablo as former Mossad agent/newly-minted Special Agent Ziva David, and Sean Murray as computer whiz Special Agent Tim McGee, backed by Pauley Parrette as unique forensic tech Abby Sciuto and David McCallum as venerable medical examiner "Ducky" Mallard.

The season opener resolves last season's cliffhanger, the team's deadly confrontation with a drug cartel targeting Special Agent Gibbs. A midseason multi-episode segment reveals the complicated backstory of NCIS Director Leon Vance and his Israeli counterpart, while bringing Ziva face to face with her estranged father. In the case of a missing nuke, Robert Wagner makes a priceless return appearence as Tony's father. Veteran comedian Bob Newheart has a sobering guest role as Ducky's predecessor. And, we find out how Tony and Gibbs first met.

The highlight of the season may be the five episode story arc concerning the Port-to-Port Killer, a serial killer who preys on members of the Navy. Director Vance brings in a competing team from Rota, Spain, headed by Special Agent E.J. Barrett, to lead the investigation. The case will involve the CIA, some Navy secrets, and Gibbs' mentor Mike Franks, while complicating the personal lives of Ziva and Tony. The final episode suggests the presence of an unknown traitor within the ranks of NCIS.

The "NCIS: Season Eight" DVD set is very highly recommended to fans of NCIS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Season Yet!, June 8, 2011
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)
NCIS continues to surprise me. I always think that the next season cannot be as good as the last, but somehow the story, the characters and the plot continue to grow and evolve. Season eight was my favourite season so far. I think the running plot of the port to port killer really added an extra element to the series, especially when he seems to have focused his attention upon Gibbs. Some of my favourite episodes happen in this series and I think one of the most shocking episodes that rivals, Kate's Death, happens in this series. I cannot find enough words to say all the good things I want to say about this series. I hope that Season Nine continues in the same direction as Season Eight. A recommended buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best season to date **SPOILERS**, June 17, 2011
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)
Season 8 picked up where season 7 left off, but the quality was 100x better, first, we see a duo of episodes dedicated to the past of Director Leon Vance, and how he first came to join NCIS, I'm personally not a Leon fan, but these episodes damn well nearly changed my mind. Secondly, we see a Special Agent Caitlin Todd-centric episode, via flashback of course. One missing scene, and a new speaking part (Sasha recorded specifically for this episode) dubbed over an old scene, finally, rounding out our collection of blast to the past episodes is a DiNozzo centric episode, the inside jokes in this one, as well as the Vance one are legendary.

Jenny is mentioned a lot, too, a flashback of her is seen in the Kate episode, also.

NCIS continues to deliver great storylines, and this season is one of, if not the, best, with Special Guest Stars such as the brilliant Sarah Jane Morris and Kerr Smith, as well as some making their final appearances, ie Muse Watson (Mike), this is a must for both fans, and casual watchers.

--Cover art--
Brian Dietzen! Jimmy finally made it to a cover, lets hope this is the first step to him making it to the main cast!

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the series, but 3 for the DVD transfer, January 16, 2012
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)
I pre-ordered this set from Amazon, and when it arrived and I put it in the player, I was a bit surprised to see some serious pixellation during some fast movement scenes. I have an upconverting DVD player, and assumed that the problem might have been with it - but still saw the same when I popped it into my computer also. It wasn't bad enough to warrant sending it back, but it was noticeable. Just for the sake of checking, I later bought another copy of this season from a brick and mortar store, and while that transfer had a bit less pixellation than the first, there was still noticeable ghosting during fast movement. Also the video seems cropped just a bit short on width, does not quite fill the screen (not aspect-ratio wise, it's correctly widescreen; just a bit of extra black showing at either end, again on both HTS player and on the computer).

I bought an episode through the Instant Video section, and none of those problems seem to exist with the HD streaming version - it is as crisp and clear as I'd recalled it being on broadcast day, so apparently it's not the source that is/was the problem. I do not know what they did while transferring these to DVD, but I hope they don't do it again with season 9. It's a great show - c'mon, CBS, don't sell it short by issuing such poor-quality transfers as this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Issue with the DVD set..., December 9, 2012
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)
Apparently there are 2 packaging versions of season 8 out there: the one with the multiple slim DVD cases inside a cardboard cover (just like all the other seasons) and then there's the multiple DVDs in a single DVD case.

The latter is what I received, and needless to say, I'm pissed. It matches none of the other seasons in my collection, and there's no way to tell which version you're ordering from the generic photo on this page.

I feel like you should know this if you're a collector before you buy this season. I've noticed this problem with another series as well, but I feel like Amazon should at least give people the option of choosing which version to purchase.

That said, I love this show and have only good things to say about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Series quality - 5 stars; DVD image quality - worst I have ever seen, August 27, 2012
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)
I will not comment on the series content. There are plenty of reviews which cover that aspect.

The image quality is very poor. Why? Because previous seasons have been pressed on dual layer DVDs, with twice the data capacity. More data means a smoother, cleaner picture, all other things being equal. Season Eight, I imagine for reasons of cheapness and utter lack of respect for the quality-conscious video consumer, was pressed on single layer DVDs. To do this requires more filtering and data compression, which in my opinion was very poorly implemented. It all leads to a fuzzy and smeared image with pixelation problems. If you're watching these episodes on a quality monitor and you have any sense of what the image ought to look like, you will be appalled.

I recorded my own Season 8 of NCIS in DVD quality (720x480) from our local digital broadcast CBS affiliate. Obviously I like the series very much. The only reason I resorted to the official box set is for subtitles for a family member who is hard of hearing. It is frustrating that the quality of the commercial product is much worse than the episodes I recorded myself.

There is no excuse for this shoddy presentation. Sure, people want to see the shows, and this is the easiest way to buy them. My advice -- do not pay a high price for this set. It just sucks. This is penny-pinching to the extreme on the production end. It is absolutely the worst picture quality of any television show DVD set I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Time Spent, June 26, 2011
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)
NCIS: Season EightSeason 8 was the best and most well-rounded of all the previous years. The story arcs made everyone make sense especially their relationships to each other. My TV watching is quite limited due to my schedule, but this is one of two shows that I watch religiously - due to the writing, acting, directing and just plain fun of the show. I am looking forward to the DVD and to Season 9.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a Box Set, December 12, 2012
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)
I am an NCIS Box Set Collector and though the photo shows the normal box set, when my order arrived, it was all 6 discs in one plastic case. Collectors normally want matching box sets, not cheap reproductions. Just thought you should know. I did allow 2 stars for the value of the NCIS series and Amazon had no problem refunding my returned purchase. It was just a hassle and disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable DVD Authoring, September 18, 2012
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)
I enjoy NCIS quite a bit and enjoy the whole series. However, this product is a piece of crap. The episodes were authored onto the DVD in low resolution. That means that on a big screen the images are VERY BLURRY with serious JPEG artifacts. I would love to give this back to the company that made it and request a better DVD set. This is not a problem with one episode or just one disk; this is a problem on every episode and every disk in this series season. I would have given this product 1 star if it wasn't a TV series I love.

[I added the following subsequent to my original review.]
I contacted Paramount Home Entertainment and submitted a claim that the product was inferior. After a few weeks, I found a new NCIS:S8 in the mail. This one was authored in the proper resolution for DVDs. Long story short, they fixed it.

The UPC on the good NCIS:S8 and the bad NCIS:S8 are identical, but packaging is different. The bad one is in paper cardboard case with 3 small plastic DVD covers containing all the disks. The good one has a plastic case that houses all the disks in a smaller unit, about the size of a standard DVD movie case.

2.0 out of 5 stars Crappy DVD quality, February 22, 2012
Jon A. Yinger (CARLSBAD, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NCIS: Season 8 (DVD)
The scripts, direction and acting in season 8 are great as usual. But what has happened to the DVD production quality? It's worse that VHS!! I bought the full set from Amazon, then to double check, I ordered the first disc from Netflix. And that one, too, had the same crappy production quality.

Doesn't anyone else see this??

ARRAY(0x9c4af5a0)