5.0 out of 5 stars It makes reviewing easy and interesting!
I should have bought this nursing review book while I was in nursing school. It would have made my studying for exams a heck of a lot easier. Wish I knew then what I know now. I would highly recommend this book to serious nursing students who want to pass their nursing exams.
Published on August 4, 2011 by Vitaminqueen

2.0 out of 5 stars Low Quality Questions and "DUH" Rationals
I passed NCLEX in 75 questions

Published on July 17, 2012 by BSN RN 2012 Grad

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Low Quality Questions and "DUH" Rationals, July 17, 2012
I passed NCLEX in 75 questions

I wasn't really concerned that I wouldn't, but this book was not one I would credit with helping me all that much. The questions are low quality with numerous errors throughout the book, which makes you wonder how qualified the authors even are to have created this thing. I did not have confidence in this book that it was an adequate study tool. The rationals were incredibly simple minded, too. Example: A, B, and D are inaccurate, so they are therefore incorrect. "Wow, thanks for that clarification." A book that I would recommend is Lippincott's Q&A Review for NCLEX-RN® (Lippincott's Review for Nclex-Rn). Night and day difference between the two. Only book I would have used to study now that I've been through it.

A little bit about myself to help calm nerves and possibly gauge your likelihood of passing (I know I would have appreciated this when I was reading book reviews). I graduated with my BSN in May 2012 with a 3.67 GPA, and I had my RN job lined up on an Oncology/Hospice unit the February before I graduated. I wasn't even going to study for the NCLEX, but became nervous when my many overdramatic nursing peers (even the smart ones) started signing up for KAPLAN and buying thick study books and material. I was confident that I didn't need KAPLAN, and I heard from my peers who took it that it was a waste of time (only benefit was the online test questions). In the end, I was glad I got a little nervous and studied. I think I could have passed without studying (maybe not as quick as 75 questions), but I would have been a nervous wreck without the confidence studying gave me.

My study recommendations:
1. Focus on doing practice questions (I used a combination of the NCLEX style questions from my nursing textbooks at the end of chapters, CDs that came with NCLEX study books I bought, question only NCLEX specific study books, and some online KAPLAN tests that my friend didn't use so she gave me her password for me to do them)
2. Don't bother reading your old textbooks
3. Don't kill yourself with memorizing meds (you probably won't recognize the ones you see on the test anyway)

Know that the test questions are mainly based on your common sense and general knowledge for solving a specific scenario. In total I think I did around 2,500 questions and averaged 60% on most of the practice tests I did. I felt like a failure when I was doing the practice tests because I thought my scores were so low, but honestly it prepared me for how I would feel during the test. I left the test feeling pretty good because I didn't feel any worse than when I would take all those confidence shattering practice tests. I studied for about 1 month and maybe a couple hours a day. Studying was surprisingly fun because the questions were like trivia and I learned a ton from them. I wish I would have been doing NCLEX questions throughout my entire nursing education just because I learned so much from them! Everything started coming together while I was studying. I actually feel like a very competent nurse having studied as much as I did. Maybe that's why they have us take it!

Finally the tools I used to study and the ones I recommend:
1. Lippincott's Q&A Review for NCLEX-RN (This was my favorite book and I highly recommend it. Enough questions to be your only study tool. High quality questions and minimal editing errors. Written by a FAAN awarded RN, which is basically the highest honor you can receive in the nursing world. Lippincott's Q&A Review for NCLEX-RN® (Lippincott's Review for Nclex-Rn))
2. Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment by LaCharity (Thought provoking questions with good lessons and minimal errors. Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment: Practice Exercises for the NCLEX Examination, 2e)
3. Exam Cram NCLEX-RN Practice questions, third edition, Reinehart (I would NOT recommend this book. Many errors and lame questions that seem irrelevant, simple minded, or absurdly specific. This book will kill your study buzz. Only benefit was that it was small and easy to stick in my purse to carry around. NCLEX-PN Practice Questions Exam Cram (3rd Edition))
4. Online KAPLAN test questions (Used my friend's account to take comprehensive tests. Works great to share with a friend because you can take the 6 or 7 comprehensive practice tests they have multiple times. Glad I had that opportunity because it made me more relaxed while I was taking

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes reviewing easy and interesting!, August 4, 2011
Vitaminqueen (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, April 19, 2012
This book came before I was told and it came in excellent condition. This book has helped me study for my boards and I would recommend it to anyone!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of mistakes, June 13, 2013
This review is from: NCLEX-RN Practice Questions Exam Cram (3rd Edition) (Kindle Edition)
Questions have a lot of mistakes in them and most rational don't apply to the NCLEX. I would recommend Kaplan or Saunders.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful!, June 22, 2013
I ordered this book about 1 week prior to me taking the NCLEX. I LOVE the cd that came with it. I was able to quiz some classmates of mine, the night before we took our exam, by the pool with an easy to read program on my laptop. Although I wish the rationales were a little more detailed.

4.0 out of 5 stars good preparation, June 15, 2013
lots of difficult questions to get anyone ready for NCLEX
some rationales are vague and do not help in learning

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic way to study, July 25, 2012
This ebook was a great way to study any time and any where. I found the explanations very well written. It was great to be able to just click to see the answers rather than flipping thru the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!!, June 21, 2012
I would 110% recommend this book for NCLEX prep! I am not lying when I say I had SEVERAL questions on my NCLEX that were verbatim in this book!! It had the perfect questios for prepping, I can't believe I wasted money on all the other NCLEX prep books I bought! I passed my test in the minimum amount of questions and I know it's because this book prepared me so well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic review, February 20, 2011
This is a basic review, and the questions and answers are fairly easy. Multiple repetitions of questions. I am using it as a tutoring tool, and it is fine to start with. However, Lippincott's NCLEX-RN review 10th edition is much better. There is more depth to the questions and the answers are more detailed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of errors, May 27, 2014
I found this book to have way too many errors than what I book of this price should have. Some of the questions were helpful, and it's a good way to get into the mindset of how questions are worded, but there are a lot of resources out there that are much better than this book. Most of the questions are very easy and the more difficult ones many times have confusing to overly brief rationales. Look elsewhere.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›