5.0 out of 5 stars My Worries Put to Rest, Finally Playing the Game
This is a game I came across only a short time ago and have since researched as much as I could. I was apprehensive at first, worried about how the combat looked and how the art style might grate on me, but then I played it. I got into the beta and tried it, I've experienced up to the end of March "surprise" beta, right before the new U.I launches.

The combat...
Published 5 months ago by James

1.0 out of 5 stars Above Average Game, Far Below Average Company
After having spent a couple months with Wildstar I feel it necessary to write a review in order to steer others away from this title.

Published 3 days ago by Jack V.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Worries Put to Rest, Finally Playing the Game, April 1, 2014
This review is from: Wildstar [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

The combat works well. In fact the gameplay works well as a whole, the way the movement works (double-jumps, rolling, sprinting even on mounts) with the action based combat I found fights (even against normal NPC's) fun. The movement and the combat is incredibly fluid and not at all slow or clunky, it's certainly different than FFIV/WoW/SWToR (the most recent MMO's I've played)

The first few levels felt a bit grindy, granted I didn't care because I was enjoying rolling and the combat system so much I tended to notice my quests were all completed and I was still mowing down lines of mobs I'd out leveled. But then I reached group content. PvP is fresh. Healing in PvP in this game is also the most fun I've had healing. For healing you can design how you play, it doesn't have to be a U.I. mini-game of clicking and casting.

You need to roll out of the way of player attacks, get the hang of sprinting and know how to aim your own spells. Even heals. You can design a healer around spells that need to be aimed as well, getting rid of that U.I. mini-game, or as I did you can pick spells that are more classic, involving targeting and group healing. DPS involves knowing how to aim, catching multiple people within the swing of your sword to hit all of them, and making sure they don't dash away from your cast as soon as it finishes.

Killing mobs was fun, quests were fantastic (multiple different types of quests: killing, collecting, turning on generators that require mini-games, connecting wires, all with unique mini-game interfaces instead of just right clicking) PvP was hectic and the game modes were unique. And then I reached the first layer of PvE group content. Group content in this game is hard, even at very low levels.

In the first adventure you choose your own adventure, literally voting on how each chapter of it will play out. Are you going to rescue to prison guards held hostage by the escaped inmates? Or do you leave them to die in order to reach the armory before the inmates? Bosses use the active combat system too, only their telegraphs are large, hit incredibly hard at times, and are constant. Even as a healer I couldn't stand still and not pay attention, and I found myself almost always out of focus (mana) because players weren't used to having to constantly avoid attacks, especially at level 15.

I could go on and on about the features I've seen, and I've only reached level 20. But the recurring theme is, the game isn't fully optimized yet, the slick new U.I. system isn't in, but the mechanics and gameplay are fantastic to play with. I found myself doing tasks beyond their completion point instead of desperately trying to grind through them, I found myself changing my abilities constantly to try new ones out and design completely different play styles, all before level 21. The game is fun, it's vision seems solid, and most of all -- The dev's are listening.

----------

It's been a while, open beta is over. The review could use an update.

Dungeons are fantastic.

I can't even segway into that, it just needs to be said. I mentioned earlier in the review how i found myself just mindlessly pulling and blowing up groups of mobs, even after quests had ended. I though the combat was fun then, the mechanics in this game are absolutely fantastic in group content. The very first dungeons at level 20 are the easiest in the game, yes, but that does not mean they are easy.

Trash mobs, bosses, events. Everything has been designed by the second, as the Dev's mentioned at Pax this "by the second" mentality means they make sure there is a mechanic going at all times, and fighting is always fun. Healers, tanks, everyone needs to be aware of what bosses and trash mobs are doing, even at level 20, or everyone will die. Dungeons also give rewards (medals) based on performance and how many challenges you are able to complete, as well as how quickly you can do them, coupled with your groups stats. Nothing is handed to anyone in this game, even at entry level.

Housing turned out to be spectacular. People have created entire skate parks to grand pianos made out of over 700 pieces. Only having access to entry level plugs in beta I made my one story into a two story house just buying 2x4's, it wasn't much, but the knowledge that I could literally get basic building parts and do whatever I wanted was just... fun. It made me excited.

PvP is fluid. I started playing and boy did I die. A lot. Blinded by colors and sucking at aiming completely described level 6 me. By level 10 I already had the hang of it, it isn't as complicated as it sometimes seems in videos, aiming in PvP is something that catches on pretty quick, and now tab targeting seems to simple for me to enjoy now that beta is over. The game is launching with two battlegrounds, the third is announced already as well as there being 40v40 Warplots (with perma loss!), arenas and world PvP.

This game was fun when I played beta in April, but it managed to get even better. Group content is fantastic, the game is beautiful, it's full of features and most of all it feels complete. It's rare to see a "complete" MMO. This game is launching with two raids, a fully implemented PvP system, full housing system as well as player/mount customization, reputation, crafting, 15 months of post-release content and monthly updates already set. They know what makes other games fail, they know what the problems other games have had, they've developed WildStar for almost 10 years now. It's amazing to see such a complete game and such a prepared team. I'm not worried about it falling off, I hope you aren't either.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very promising MMO, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Wildstar [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Hi there, I have only been playing Wildstar for the brief headstart period that began today, but I wanted to provide some initial impressions for anyone who is on the fence, or is looking for a new MMO/timesink. I have only played to level 12, so I have yet to experience loads of later game content, but what I've seen so far shows enough promise that I feel it's worth talking about. I will update with more info as I progress in the game.

Some brief background on me, I've been searching for a new great MMO ever since I lost interest in World of Warcraft after the cataclysm expansion. I've tried Star Wars: The Old Republic as well as the Elder Scrolls Online and neither kept my interest for longer than a month (ESO I dropped after about a week.) So if you are burned out on WoW, or just looking for a quality MMO, I think Wildstar may be for you.

I won't go too much into the story or setting as you could read about those on the product page or the official website, I'm more trying to tell why I think Wildstar is worth your time and money.

Selling points:
-Hectic and fun combat. The majority of your characters offensive and support abilities are cast in what is called a "telegraph" a blue (or red, if it's from an opponent) grid displayed on the ground. This simple concept makes combat a lot more fun and exciting than any MMO this side of TERA. Dodging just outside of the range of an enemy telegraph, or skillfully maneuvering several foes into one of yours, is exhilarating. Healing requires no less skill, every player in every role is going to running around like a maniac, dodging hostile fire and throwing back some of their own.
-Overall atmosphere is just plain fun, great attention to detail. Wildstar was clearly crafted with a lot of love, it shows in every facet of the game design. Leveling up is accompanied by a funny message from a drill sergeant, there are a ton of character customization options (not to mention your mount or player housing!) and just a crazy amount of those "little touches" to really make the world come to life. The art style is colorful and cartoonish, but it looks great, runs great and fits in with the theme.
-Quests and crafting. These areas aren't wildly different from what you've seen in other MMOs, but they are done well. Quests will be grouped to certain areas for convenience, and yes, there are a good amount of kill X number of Y, as well as collection quests. However, there is a good amount of variety in the quests, and as I said the combat is fun enough that "grinding" doesn't really become a drag. Not to mention you can supplement questing with dungeons and PVP (and you can level up entirely through PVP if you wish).

Cons? I can't think of many, but here's what I got:
-It's an MMO. This isn't a bad thing, but at the same time it is. A lot of the MMO trappings you may hate (or love) are still here. Tons of other people running around, potentially stealing your resource nodes, but if you don't like playing with other people why play an MMO? Additionally, the game JUST launched and there are bugs, but I've personally encountered very few, this is one of the smoother MMO launches I've seen.

Note:
-Wildstar wasn't really available until about an hour after headstart was SUPPOSED to begin, due to some clown(s) launching a DDoS attack against their servers. (If you are not familiar, a DDoS attack just basically means someone used their computer to create hundreds or thousands of "fake" connections to the Wildstar servers to overload it and prevent legitimate users from getting in.) However, Carbine got everything up and running in no time at all, it really shows dedication and that the developers are really excited for us to get into their game, despite the haters who want to ruin the experience for everyone. The developers love their baby, and it shows!

One last point, and I think vanilla WoW veterans will agree with me on this, Wildstar is taking the path that World of Warcraft didn't. WoW in the beginning, was fairly "hardcore", what with the long time it took to hit the level cap and 40-person raids. In recent years Warcraft has eased the difficulty to attract a more casual audience, which had been working quite well for them until recently. Wildstar is a self-proclaimed "hardcore" MMO, it's vanilla WoW but without the clunkiness, with a fine tuned user interface and expertly designed gameplay systems. If you miss WoW's 40 man raids, but don't miss the by-the-numbers combat or outdated graphics then give Wildstar a try! Though it should be remarked that Wildstar does come with the 15$ a month subscription fee (though it IS possible to acquire gametime with in game currency, it remains to be seen how feasible this will be. We're probably talking fat stacks of in game currency for a month of game time.) A monthly fee means you get everything in the game, including future content, without micro transactions or any content locked behind a pay wall. Anyway, I tried to keep this relatively brief and I hope it was informative. I hope to see you on Nexus!

5.0 out of 5 stars What I have been waiting for!!!, June 11, 2014
This review is from: Wildstar - PC (Video Game)
AFter about 4 years in WOW, then about year each in GW2, TERA, RIFT and SWTOR, I realize that what I've been looking for is a Action Style MMO with a light heart sense of humor and an in-depth story to keep you hook for most of the 50 lvls. Well WildStar delivered! PVP kept me busy along side of PVE and questing all the way till lvl 30 without even noticing how quickly I was lvling! Last time I experienced that was WOW:BC... and how i missed it!
This is definitely not one to miss out on, it certainly surprised me. Good Job Carbine!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars new and old combines to create the perfect balance, April 20, 2014
This review is from: Wildstar [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Playing the beta and it is a wonderful game. Let me try and break down everything that is important.

The game has action combat with ground targetting (no soft or hard targetting you have to do it all yourself).

While it does feature the trinity every single character can spec for their support role (for some this will be healer, for others a tank, the game decides depending on what class you picked what your support role would be), damage, utility (essentially it is crowd control, VERY useful) or a hybrid (in your talents there are branches that are half support/half damage, half utility/half damage and half support/ half utility), from what I've tested in the 20 levels and the first dungeon that people are allowed to run even DPS classes are expected to bring at least some skills to help with survival. It's very team based.

The game has cartoony graphics and a sense of humour. The main missions would make you think that one side is entirely good and the other side is entirely evil, but as you progress you get to see how complex the lore is. A lot of lore is put into single man instances, instead of being locked away behind raids.

Lots of zones to level in. From what I've seen there are 6 starter zones. The leveling speed is, well I would compare it to Tera or World of Warcraft. As in a character will probably take you around 2-3 weeks to level fully if you're really into it, a few months if you will be playing rather moderately.

20, 40 man raids, 40 man guild battles (they're called warplots, but you need to assemble a 40 man team, so I asume that it will be guilds that will be doing that mostly), fun battlegrounds (and there's quite a few of them!), from 2v2 to 5v5 arenas, dueling and open world PvP (if you decided to flag yourself for PvP or are on a PvP server) is most of the end game. And to be honest that's plenty! This game will keep you busy for years!

Sandbox features: get your own house! Build stuff on your plot! Make a jumping puzzle around your house! Have a portal, a buff station, a dungeon, a crafting station, etc next to your house and invite your friends over! Lots of crafting professions, one of which is architect that focuses on furniture making for houses. Mounts are customizable.

This game has a lot in it, it's a mix between the nostalgic hardcore games that actually made you work for stuff and be a team member and between new titles that will offer you something to do no matter how little time you have to play every day. I absolutely love it! Want to figure out if the game is for you? Search the web for beta keys and drop by on a beta weekend, but remember brother that it is still beta, so if you catch a bug - report it instead of being upset that it's not bug free. I hope to see you all on Nexus on June 3rd for those that don't want to preorder and on May 31st for all of those that already preordered :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressions from the Beta, May 5, 2014
Brendan Ross (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildstar [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Based on having played in about half of the beta, this is a game which does not start particularly strong, but gets better about 10-20 levels in. I say this as a warning to players, because the starting experience for many will be less than exhilarating. I believe it is done this way so as to introduce the typical MMO player more gently into the telegraph system of combat which is the core of the game, and which is not common in MMORPGs (The Secret World had it, but for the most part it isn’t common in the genre).

That system features enemies which do two kinds of damage to you. The first is their autoattack damage (so-called “white damage”). This damage cannot be avoided, even by actively dodging the attack – it will always hit you. This is designed to make tanking and healing relevant for more difficult fights. The second type is special damage that comes from larger attacks which are telegraphed – that is, outlines of various shapes will be drawn on the ground (and morph as they are being drawn in some cases) to indicate where the damage will be dealt. The damage from these attacks can be avoided completely by moving out of the telegraph or dodging out of it in a timely fashion. If you do not do so, beginning in the teen levels, you will lose a great deal of health, and in some cases, die in one hit. So the focus of the combat is constantly being on the move to avoid increasingly intricate telegraphs (they start off very simple in lower levels and them ramp up to be quite intricate, complex and varied, requiring faster reflexes and responses as the player becomes more comfortable with the system. As a result, the combat style is very active, with the player having to move the character around constantly to avoid telegraphs, while at the same time actively aiming their own attacks at the enemies, who are, of course, also moving. The game requires a certain degree of “twitch skill” , therefore, in order to play effectively and, more importantly, in order to be fully enjoyed the player should really prefer twitch skill gaming to the more traditional style of MMO combat.

That combat system is the most unique aspect of WildStar. The rest of it is more familiar, but done in a relatively polished and complete way. There are the standard kinds of MMO play on offer (solo leveling, solo instances, group instances/dungeons, raids, small group PvP, large group PvP, crafting, trading/AH flipping, and so on). The systems all work fairly well, although there are still some bugs here and there as are to be expected in a new MMO. Hopefully fewer of those on launch in a month’s time. The setting is comic-book/cartoon style, and it doesn’t take itself that seriously (it’s filled with humor, actually), but this doesn’t mean it doesn’t require a good machine to run smoothly – it does. And you will want to run it smoothly given all the quick movement and so on which the core mechanics of the game require.

Class choices, because of the different core mechanic, are a bit different than in most MMOs, although there are similarities. There is a warrior class, which is probably weaker than is generally the case in most MMOs due to the way that damage works in WildStar, as well as a closer range high damage class that could be compared to a rogue type class very roughly. And then there are four ranged classes – an engineer (who has pets and heavy armor), a spellslinger (high burst damage, lots of micromanagement required for skills, so a higher skill cap class, can heal as well), a medic (ranged, but on the close side of ranged, decent DPS, and good healing skills) and an esper (very long range, lower mobility, plays more like a typical MMO mage, and can also heal). Overall, the game, with its telegraphs and emphasis on movement, seems to favor classes which can stay out of the telegraph range and deal damage at range at the same time, but a skilled melee range player can likely do the same, with a bit more difficulty due to the core mechanic. In general, there are enough classes here to keep a player who is a fan of the combat system happy for a while, I think.

The game’s business model will feature a purchase price, and then either a $15 per month subscription fee, or the option for players who play a lot to purchase something called CREDD from other players for in-game currency (i.e., players who play less and want more currency will buy CREDD from the game company and then sell it to other players for in-game currency). In-game currency can be used to purchase certain skill upgrades in the late game called AMPs, and so it does have an impact on gameplay. In practice, this is the same model used by the highly successful EVE Online and its system of PLEX, but it may be less familiar to players who have not played EVE, and some may consider it to be a “pay-to-win” system, which it is not.

Overall, the game impresses and feels solidly designed and made. It could use a tad more polish, but that’s the case for most MMOs at launch. The key question for a player thinking about this game is the degree to which they are either a twitch skill oriented gamer or, if they are not, the degree to which they are interested in playing a game which will require them to up their twitch skills considerably in order to be successful – because that is the core of the game, and the core attraction of it as well.

NOTE: Obviously this is based on the beta. Things may change here and there before launch, and MMOs are always under change, so keep that in mind when reading this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun and engaging MMO, June 27, 2014
Elle Trayne (Modesto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildstar [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
An excellent way to purchase an excellent game. As a long-time World of Warcraft player I was delighted by Wildstar. The world, the story, the art style, and of course the gameplay. Bored with MMOs? Give it a try!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's worth a try, June 19, 2014
This review is from: Wildstar [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Only to level 30 at the time of this writing. My gaming past begins with text muds, proceeds to PC-RPG multiplayers like BG2 and Neverwinter NIghts; then on to WoW (Vanilla but a more serious player in TBC), and Lord of the RIngs Online (left after F2P dawned). I've also dabbled in RIFTS, and GW2.

I hate F2P and I pray this game won't take the plunge; but it probably will; in which case I will quit.

The 5 man content is good so far. I like the challenge and the immersion into the fight, rather than watching a raid frame; as a healer. My high water mark for excellence in 5 mans was Carn Dum in Lord of the Rings online (6 player mini raid), and all of the Burning Crusade 5 mans from WoW.

This game brought me back to those moments. I'm looking forward to more. I quit my raid team to play this; and I don't regret it at all. Trying to bash through another tier of Siege of Org, no thanks. I'll have fun instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Above Average Game, Far Below Average Company, August 26, 2014
This review is from: Wildstar [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

Wildstar is an MMO that caters to the old-school gaming crowd and offers lots of challenging PvE content, interesting class design, as well as a reasonably interesting leveling experience. It's not a game for the feint of heart, so if you're looking for a casual MMO you'd best stop reading now and steer clear and Wildstar will expect you to grind through steps upon steps, some legitimately difficult and others purely random or tedious, in order to accomplish anything.

Now, as a veteran of many older MMOs I was perfectly happy doing that. So where did it go wrong, you ask?

Carbine Studios.

Incompetent does not begin to describe the people involved in the development and maintenance of this game. In the three months since the game's release, almost no player concerns have been addressed even when such concerns regard completely game-breaking exploits. The developer's attitude could best be described as hubris, as nearly all effort seems to be directed towards the production of new content, which is itself of questionable quality, and the promotion thereof while any efforts on behalf of the community to draw attention towards bugs, exploits, and design criticisms are at best ignored and at worst mercilessly censored by an extremely overzealous moderation staff. Bugs are to be expected in a new game, especially an MMO, however major issues such as completely nonfunctional boss mechanics, abilities which malfunction on a consistent basis, and items as well as currency vanishing during transactions between players and NPCs are, to the best of my knowledge, still being swept under the rug by the developers despite affecting huge swaths of the player base. Nearly all major world-first and server-first kills as well as large sums of PvP rating have been achieved through the use of exploits, nearly none of which has been punished or corrected by Carbine staff. The latter has made PvP virtually unplayable due to the strength of high-end PvP gear, causing queues for battlegrounds and arenas to often last upwards of half an hour at peak play times. PvE content has fared better, though the same effect is beginning to take shape amongst raiders as well.

To top it off the game's customer service staff and community representatives are unprofessional, unhelpful, and downright rude in many circumstances. Most customer support tickets go unanswered, while those that do receive a human response often receive one entirely irrelevant to the issue at hand. This is in part due to a poor service staff but also owes to a failure on the part of the developers to create effective support tools. The situation has become so severe that many service representatives are now directing players to voice their concerns on the forums rather than follow proper channels as basic services such as item restoration are nearly impossible to provide given the current state of the game and its supporting software. The forums, of course, offer no reprieve as their moderation staff is amongst the most coarse and abusive I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

These issues combined have driven what could have been an excellent title to one step away from an early grave. The primary complaint being lodged against Carbine Studios now appears to be failing to provide server merges to help alleviate a lack of players to group with due to the game's ever-shrinking community. They are, of course, handling these complaints with the same pattern of denial and suppression seen with previous issues, with Carbine going so far as to cancel their regular interviews with the community in order to dodge probing questions about the state of Wildstar. Some things never change.

Wildstar can still be saved, but I've come to feel that any hope for it to truly succeed has already been demolished by its developer. If some specific aspect of the game appeals to you, feel free to try it yourself. There's still fun to be had, although don't expect to meet many others along your journey. If you're just an average player looking for an MMO, I'd advise you to continue searching.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great MMO!, August 12, 2014
Robert Fischer (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildstar [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
This game is the culmination of a lot of MMO design experience, and has drawn on a lot of ideas from other games as to what works, what players like, and how to keep content fresh yet consistent in mechanics. I have played so many MMOs over the years I have lost track, yet I think this is perhaps one of the best I have ever played. The general “telegraph” mechanic of the game is fabulous, and makes even ordinary trash mob fights fun and interesting, and adds some more complexity to PvP as well. I would summarize this game relative to other MMOs as follows:
Pros:
- PvE is well designed from single player quests and challenges, to challenging 5 man dungeons, world bosses and large group raid content (yet to be experienced by myself, I will say). One of the things that many players of MMOs oddly like to do (myself included) is to just quest and do challenging things solo. This game provides that in spades. There is so much to do in this game just a single player, its amazing.
-PvP is wild. It has all the things you have enjoyed in other games, ranking systems, team PvP from 2v2 to many vs many; and the rewards are quite cool.
- economy: the game economy is stable, and does not have a lot of the tedium associated with other MMO economies. Buying and selling items is streamlined and efficient. Outside cash has limited effect on the game so far- ie, there is no real “pay to win” in this game.
- graphics & storyline: grouping these together as overall “design”, which is some of the best ever. These days, making a graphic style to be ultra-photorealistic has been done so much, but these guys went the other way, making it essentially “cartoony’ on purpose. But its cartoony with style, and with a lot of wit. The writing, dialogue and style hang together and are both entertaining and actually sometimes funny as hell. Great entertainment.
Housing- as others have mentioned, housing in this game is more than just a cash sink, it actually forms an integral part of the game- you can incorporate material collection nodes into your property, challenge courses, and even have your own private mini-dungeons on your property. The amount of customization is not easily described here- its pretty amazing.
Cons:
Connection requirements- this game uses “telegraphs” to show you area of effect were all the large damage or heal is incoming from either mobs or allies. This mechanic is used throughout the game, and is AWESOME and fun when it works. One thing to realize though- if you aren’t playing on a decent connection, most of the time you will be hit for the damage the second the telegraph displays on your client side. In ordinary questing this isn’t critical, but dungeons or with elite mobs, you’re likely to be dead very fast, which can be frustrating to say the least. While many MMOs suffer from latency issues affecting their game play in higher end portions, the mechanics of WIldstar are particularly unforgiving in this regard.
Bugged mobs: I’ll be honest here. There are a lot of bugged or buggy mobs, that reset their health if you try to kite them any distance; some that are just bugged period (cannot be damaged, etc). If you play a melee class, you may never notice this. If you play a kiting-style class, this will be a minor annoyance until you do a time-sensitive thing like these “challenges” that require you to kill a certain number of mobs in the allotted time. Even boss mobs are occasionally bugged in other games, but the prevalence of bugged mobs seems a little higher in Wildstar.
Trash in your pockets- This game, like so many other MMOs, has normal mobs drop trash items that you can sell for a small amount to generate cash. “Conveniently”, they have put in a function to vacuum up all loot dropped into your bag. Unfortunately, this just results in the same old “Bag-space tetris” game. You go to pick something up, and your bag is full of junk. There are addons for the game that allow you to auto-sell junk, but none that prevent you from picking it up in the first place. Please, game designers, PLEASE….just have the mob drop game currency. We’re not amused by your “trash item variety”. Who cares if it makes no sense for a space monkey to have coins on them? Don’t make us play the bag-space tetris game.

Overall, you can see that my “cons” are quiet small for the most part, which allows me to give Wildstar a high rating. I do think you have to be aware of these and other minor issues before purchasing though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unless you enjoy and have the time for large guild and raid ..., July 11, 2014
This review is from: Wildstar [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Pros: Overall it's a realatively polished game. In terms of MMO gameplay, you get everything you would expect in the way of standard leveling and skill mechanics along with the traditional MMO class types.

Cons: Unless you enjoy and have the time for large guild and raid involvement, there is not much in the way of end-game. As a level 50 character, you are pretty much left with the option to raid (at which point you will need to be a member of a competent guild as the content is too hard for most PUGs), grind rep through a handful of dailies, and/or level alts. This isn't necessarily the fault of Wildstar alone, however. It's kind of the issue with most all MMOs.

Personal Conclusion: If there were not already so many other options out there in the way of free-to-play MMOs, the game might be worth playing and investing some time in. However, there are many other better options out there which do not require a monthly subscription. I also personally am put off by NCSoft's decision to introduce the CREDD system into the game. By adding CREDD into the game, NCSoft has done their standard micro-transaction greed grab. The fact that they did this ON TOP of a subscription fee makes it all the worse. In an attempt to mask this blatant greed, NCSoft and Carbine have tried to spin CREDD as a means for players to go "free to play" but that's not the true intent behind CREDD. If it were, players would be able to buy CREDD through the use of in game gold outright and not have to rely on a separate player to FIRST buy CREDD for real money and attempt to sell it on the auction house. In the end, the true purpose of CREDD is to allow an avenue by which NCSoft and Carbine can benefit through the sale of in game gold to players while also enjoying the umbrella of security afforded by monthly subscriptions. NCSoft -- in turn -- feeds players' thirst for in game gold by keeping in game prices on most all items extremely high. The result of this is pretty annoying for the average player who chooses not to purchase CREDD and try to sell it for in game gold. Said players are stuck grinding gold non-stop while having the subscription timer hovering over your head. If that's going to be the case, such players might as well invest their time elsewhere in other games that do not have a monthly subscription fee.

Personally, if you are on the fence on whether or not to buy Wildstar, I would just say to wait a few more months and the game will likely go completely free-to-play (i.e. no subscription) since NCSoft would rather have people spending $20 a pop on CREDD vs. relying on only $15 /mo subscription players who may or may not partcipate in CREDD purchases. Instead, NCSoft will remove the subscription fee to bring back all the players who have purchased the game (but refused to resub) in hopes that these returning players will -- in turn -- ultimately purchase CREDD.

Wildstar [Online Game Code]