Neato XV Signature Pro Pet & Allergy Robot Vacuum Cleaner
Price:$330.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 3, 2013
Ok, so I have had this little gem for 2 weeks now. I have previously owned 3 iRobot models over the years starting from when they first hit the market. I always thought they did a good job at daily vacuuming. The issue with the iRobots is that over time the battery needs to be replaced (expected) and the units thoroughly cleaned (dismantled), but they never seemed to clean like they did out of the box. Ok so now fast forward to now and I have finally had it up to my eyeballs with cleaning the hardwood floors daily only to turn around and look behind me to see cat hair waft back in the spaces I just cleaned. So I started looking at the iRobot 780 and in my research found the Neato XV Signature Pro. There are pros and cons of each and I wish I could get both and make one super robot out of them, but you can't.

Here is what I considered when I decided to purchase and what I have discovered after getting it:
1)Neato has a better vacuum (You can feel the air output from 3 feet away horizontally and on your FACE vertically...wow)
2)The bin is smaller than the iRobot 780, so it has to be emptied more often. I have never seen it full.
3)The bin is on the top...no need to flip it over or pull out the back (I always spilled on the floor doing this)
4)It uses a laser mapping system to plot out the cleaning space and will map each room it enters. If it passes into another room before the other is clean, it will go back. iRobot is just random and you have to get the 780 to get the room to room navigation towers.
5) The HEPA filter is more robust (if that is a good description) and made in a way that keeps it from blocking too soon.
6) It is about $100 cheaper than the iRobot 780
7) The battery doesn't last as long as the iRobot 780 (per reports), but it will return to base, charge, and then resume cleaning until it has completed the room(s) that it mapped on the cleaning cycle. I get maybe an hour out of the battery before it has to recharge.
8) My iRobots always did a good job of going under the couches, the Neato is a bit taller and while it will go under the couch I have now, it has gotten stuck once where it couldn't free itself.
9) Comes with 2 brushes, one with bristles and one with just silicone fins for hardwood. I left the bristle brush in because I do have a cat.
10) I have a cat....whatever I got has to handle the fur....so far so good
11) Neato can seem to pick up heavier debris such as cat litter
12) I purposely swept crap out into the room (from the stairs and a landing) and then left to run errands. The robot was still in its cradle, but I knew the timer would bring it on while I was gone. I whole heartedly expected to walk in and still see some debris that it missed, but the floor was completely clean.
13) It doesn't have a remote and that is fine because I figure that if I am going to have a robot vacuum my floors the least I can do is walk over to it to turn it on if I need to. The scheduling timer allows 1 daily schedule. That works for me. I give it Sunday and Saturday off....isn't that nice of me?
14) I watched it cleaning in my dining room, decided it needed to charge, took the shortest path under the table, and NEVER hit a chair or table leg while it zigzagged under the table. It came out and went around the couch and then right over to its charging station. I was impressed. My older iRobots would have bumped legs until it found its way out and then would have panicked at a lack of beam from the station...can't speak for the newer iRobots.
15) It backs into the charging station...something I cannot do in my own car while parking...I am impressed.
16) It is firmware upgradeable...which doesn't mean much if Neato doesn't put out firmware. For some reason that is always a big selling point with with some things like wireless routers, but I find that manufactures rarely put out firmware updates anyway more than 6-8 months after a product hits the market. But that point there is a newer model they put their efforts into.

Ok, so why didn't I give it 5 stars? There are a couple of things:
1) It has no side brush, so it isn't as good as other robots that "sweap" debris from the baseboards in front of its brush. BUT I have also noticed there really isn't much debris left along baseboards anyway.
2) It does have to recharge maybe once in order to clean the living room, dining room, and kitchen.
3) It might not go under your couch
4) It backs into its station so it needs 3 ft on either side for maneuvering.

Now, as I said, the unit is only 2 weeks old. All of my points so far were things I researched on the Neato and it has lived up to what I discovered. I knew ahead of time about the shorter battery and smaller bin, but the laser mapping and better vacuum compensated. It could break down tomorrow, but so far I really like this unit and am happy with my purchase. iRobot had a corner on the market for so many years and I really debated before I bought this one. My logic is that Amazon has a great return policy and if it isn't cleaning as good as it is now in 2 more weeks, it shall be returned.
on February 14, 2015
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but this time Amazon should be truly ashamed. My friend bought this vacuum and on opening the new box there was dust all over the carpet. Amazon sent us a heavily used piece, didn't even bother to clean it up. Not only that, it even doesn't work with a message "Brush is stuck".
I was planning on buying one for myself as well but canceled that.
review image review image review image
on February 5, 2014
After only a week this unit gets confused and stops working.
Keeps getting messages that "My vision is blocked" and another that says "trying to recover my location"
Called tech-support and got the usual "disconnect batteries" and so on. It's now sitting in the garage.
DON'T BUY THIS!!!
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 21, 2014
Originally purchased unit in October, 2013, It worked very well initially, and would have rated it 4 or 5 stars. In July, 2014 I began to have problems with the product..The dreaded Battery Issue (0002). Basically, the unit quit working properly, half-way through a cleaning cycle the unit would quit, flash the Battery Issue (0002) alert and would need to be reset. After each reset, all programmed information was lost so time, date and cleaning schedule had to be re-entered. It would run a few times and Battery Issue (0002) would reappear.

No Problem, still within warranty. Got a new unit (the problem, it seems is not battery failure or else I would have gotten replacement batteries). Worked fine initially until this week. Battery Issue (0002) has returned. Of course NOW it is no longer within the warranty period, so while I will get a replacement, I was charged $50.00 s/h.

$400.00 for a vacuum is not cheap and one should be able to expect more than 7 months (each) of performance.

Down to my old standby vacuum which I purchased over 25 years ago for far less than $400.00.

Two Neato units failed within 14 months...unacceptable!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello G Michael Burke,
We are sorry to hear about your Neato experience. Neatos are durable and the failure rate under normal use is generally minimal, as many customers have experienced many years of trouble-free ownership. We apologize for not taking the time to effectively isolate the root cause of the repeated Battery Issue (0002) failures by useful troubleshooting instead of simply providing warranty replacements.

Neato Robotics
on March 7, 2015
I absolutely love this little guy. He has totally become part of the family. I have a 2 story home with all hardwood floors. We have 3 cats, 2 which shed so much I have no idea how don't look like those hairless cats by now. Neato dutifully cleans those hardwoods every day with no complaints. It's about 1200 square ft that he is responsible for, and although he does occasionally get stuck and there are a few corners that don't get perfectly clean, overall he has made my life so much easier. Every day I empty out a little brick of dust, dirt and cat fuzz that amazes me. I used to find giant tumbleweeds of fur under the furniture before neato came to live with us. No more. If I could have given him 4 1/2 stars I would have. We even gave him a face we love him so much.
review image
on October 8, 2014
I'll start with the bad. I purchased this Neato and it performed poorly after the 1st day. I set it up to do daily cleanings. The first time it performed flawlessly until it attempted to dock after finishing. It couldn't find it's way back to the docking station, and when it did get near, it didn't actually dock. The 2nd day it cleaned for approximately 2 minutes then stopped with a "vision blocked" error. After that it was always some sort of vision or path error after a few minutes of cleaning. I went through all of the troubleshooting recommended on Neato's site with marginal and short term improvements. I contacted Neato and they issued an RMA and sent me a new unit.

Now for the good. I've had the replacement for a few weeks now and it has performed flawlessly. We have a 170lb Newfoundland dog, and pet hair is always been a problem despite brushing him daily. This little vacuum bot picks up the pet hair almost as well as our regular vacuum. Although it does not eliminate regular vacuuming (I didn't expect it to), it allowed us to cut our vacuuming time from every other day to once a week.

It's tracking and position memory is impressive. When this little bot finishes it's daily cleaning it is usually 4 rooms and a hallway away from the docking station, but has no trouble finding it's way back and docking successfully. It does require some maintenance though. Since part of it's tracking system uses optics, they do need to be cleaned. I clean the optics once a week, but that may be more than needed for other people as we live in a very dry climate and dust may be more prevalent.

Conclusion: I'm very happy with this little bot, but was frustrated with the defective unit that I originally received. After doing some research I found that this is not uncommon. It appears that Neato has some quality issues, and many have had to have replacements (sometimes 2 or 3) before they got a good unit. This is the reason for my 3 star rating. On the other hand, Neato support was very helpful and easy to work with. If you happen to get a good unit the 1st time, it's worth every penny.

**Update**
One of the wheels stopped working a few days after I wrote this review. I called Neato and they sent me another replacement and didn't charge me shipping. The 3rd machine again worked great for a couple days, then developed the path and vision errors again. Again I called Neato, but this time rather than simply replacing my VX, they upgraded me to a Botvac. I did have to pay for some of the shipping, but again I am happy with the replacement. I've had the Botvac for a few weeks and so far it isn't having any trouble *fingers crossed*. Now that I have a little experience with the Botvac I will say if you're looking at a Neato don't bother with the VX series, look at the Botvac series. The dustbin is bigger (and doesn't pop loose), the brush is bigger, and it's a bit quieter. Otherwise cleaning appears to be similar despite the "edge" brush. That reminds me, that is the only issue I've had with it so far. Every once in a while the edge brush will pop out (held in with a magnet) and get caught in the main brush. Otherwise I'm happy as long as it doesn't start having trouble like my VX series did.

I read some of the other reviews that mentioned support was less than desirable. I have not had that experience. All of my support calls have been answered quickly and they were very helpful and cordial. Of course if I need support I call on "off hours" in order to avoid long waits.
on July 8, 2014
I got this vacuum maybe 1 month ago as of this writing and it exceeded all of my expectations for intelligence for a consumer product.

+ It intelligently navigates around my tables/chairs/furniture
+ It is smart enough to pick up where it left off between charges.
+ You will notice the first few cleanings nearly, if not totally, fill the dust bin. If you set it to a few cleanings a week (we do mon/wed/fri) then you will see it pick up less and less as the cleaning cycles pass. Our Neato took 2 weeks/6 cycles to get it's routine dust haul down to about 1/16th of the bin's capacity.

There are some minor caveats:
- If you leave a towel or tshirt/other clothes on the floor, it will get stuck 85%+ of the time.
- If you have ridiculously steep thresholds (ie 1in without a reducer like I had), it'll get over it after many tries but occasionally give up/get stuck. I noticed a maybe 70% success rate for this one problematic threshold in my home. I fixed this by doing what I should have done anyway and installed a reducer. It now has no problems.
- If you have a phone/power cable loose, it may get stuck sometimes.
- This particular model does an pretty good job with edges, but isn't perfect. We had a shredder in 1 corner and our bot failed to pick up those few pieces lodged in the edge of our carpet. I feel guilty calling this a minus considering that I would have to use an edging attachment or pick up these pieces manually anyway if using a normal vacuum.

Other Notes:
Overall I find myself preparing the house on cleaning days by picking up loose items and forcing myself to not be a slob before I leave for work. I'm pretty sure this is a plus but I feel the psychological effect of "teaming up" with the Neato bot/prepping for the cleaning cycle was in it's own category.
on October 22, 2013
The first few weeks were fine. Now it seems we have to "babysit" it on each round of cleaning. Not what we expected. An expensive novelty.
on January 8, 2014
I've had 3 Neatos over the years. With our busy lifestyle they allow us to save some time on house maintenance. With Neato running every 2 days we have to manually vacuum the house every 2-3 weeks where without it it would have to be every week. When the hardware works the algorithms work well, it can navigate some fairly tight spots and returns for recharging as needed. The hardware has some deficiencies though. Two times they shipped me items with various defects. The latest one arrived with batteries that would discharge in a couple of minutes. The silicon brush is heavy on the carpets. If you have house plants dropping some foliage the leaves will clog the input into the dirt-box and prevent it from vacuuming properly. I think they should really redesign the box for better airflow without that tight entry point. One of the previous Neatos was destroyed when it bumped into the cats water bowl on the floor, spilled the water and sucked the water inside. It went brain dead. Watch out for that. Batteries last for about a year to a year and a half (if they don't ship you a defective set that is).
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 28, 2014
Battery life on mine was terrible and I got zero support from the company despite having very few charges on the battery set. The company also very poorly supported my previous unit which broke down after a limited number of uses. IMO, they are nice while they run but are fragile and not reliable or properly supported. Buyer beware!!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Steven,
Thank you for providing the feedback regarding your recent RMA claim experience. Please accept our most sincere apology in this instance as we continually strive to focus on improving our services for you, our valued customer. A review of your case indicates the agent's responses were accurate and in-line with company policy for your warranty period. You can find fast and easy resolutions to most concerns at www.neatorobotics.com/support/. The site includes a list of helpful tips that can extend the life of the battery, which includes frequent usage of your Neato to improve battery performance.

Neato Robotics Support