4.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control
I knocked off one stars due to bad quality control. What I got has a problem that should have been caught in manufacturing. The rubber grip section in front (under the lens) has a large bulge/fold in it that sticks out about 1/3". It doesn't get in the way of where I hold it but it's visually unappealing.

That said...

It's a well built unit. It...
Published on July 25, 2011 by B. Carlson

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of both Product and Seller
Published on November 30, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of both Product and Seller, November 30, 2011
My initial review started with all 5 stars. My shipment arrived two days earlier than anticipated (Yay!) and when I initially installed the grip on mt T1i it looked and felt great. So I placed the two batteries I also ordered on a charger and put my camera/ grip away to play with later. When I was finally able to try it out, I could not power my camera on with the grip. I checked each battery individually and they worked, but with both batteries in the grip it did not work. So I swapped to the 6 AA tray to see if the tray was the issue, but that failed as well. I had read that some users had issues with the battery door switch not being activiated, so I placed a piece of paper over it to override the switch. This did not work either. This was as far as I was willing to troubleshoot, so I contacted New Harbor via email. Their replies seemed slow. I would email them in the morning, and the response would come sometime between 3:30 and 4am EST the next morning. I would send a response and wait until 4am the next morning. I simply wanted to exchange my grip, but was offered a refund instead. I am still waiting for a reply concerning a refund.

So in summary, I really wanted this grip to work. It looked and felt great on my T1i, but never powered my camera (-1 Star). My shipment from New Harbor arrived earlier than expected, and my other items were fantastic, but the fact that customer service is so slow I had to remove another star (-1 Star). I read 18 other reviews on this grip before I purchased, and all of them were 4 star and above, so I have to believe my experience is an anomoly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control, July 25, 2011

That said...

It's a well built unit. It fits well on my T1i. There's no warping as can be the case with plastic parts. The thickness of the plastic and rubber sections is good - it has a very solid feel to it. I have large hands and my camera is so much nicer to use now.

With the on/off button in the on position, all additional controls work great. The wheel functions as intended, and all other buttons work fine. The two-phase focus/shutter button is a tad softer than that of the camera but I have no problem with it. It's a great feature for portrait shots.

It also makes my camera look more professional, but that's not much of a concern for me. If it were I'd return it for an exchange because of the front rubber section described above.

I can't imagine paying the outrageous price to Canon for theirs. I'm glad I bought this, and at this price, it can't be beat!

I haven't tried it with AA batteries, and don't intend to. But the added cage/insert for AA batteries is nice for trips I imagine, especially if you're going somewhere you can't charge batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product - good value, July 27, 2011
This review is from: NEEWER® Battery Grip for Canon 450D, 500D, 1000D / Rebel XS, XSi, T1i (Electronics)
While I have only seen pictures of the very expensive Canon brand battery grip, this battery grip (made in China) seems identical and sells for a fraction of the cost of the Canon brand. Be aware that there are more and more of these type of camera products (like intervalometers, Lithium battery pacs, etc.) that seem to be identical twins of the brand name products, at a fraction of the price. Only you can decide if you want to pay over the top prices for Canon brand accessories when these alternative products are available. Particularly when it does not affect photo quality, I'll go for the cheap knock off product every time and I am very pleased with this product. To my mind the only difference between the Canon and this knock off is the HUGE price difference - period. Having made you aware of these eye popping price differences between identical looking products, here is my review of the generic battery grip for Canon Rebel cameras.

I bought this for my Canon Rebel XSi. The battery grip holds two Canon Lithium battery pacs or will allow you to run your camera with 6 standard AA batteries. You will find that the battery door on the Canon removes very easily and is stored right inside the battery grip so you won't lose it. The grip then inserts into the battery slot and is securely attached to the camera body using the 1/4" tripod mounting hole. The battery pac has it's own tripod screw hole on the bottom so you don't lose the tripod functionality. While the battery grip accepts two of the Canon type lithium batteries to effectively double your battery life, it will also work with just ONE lithium battery pac if you don't have a second lithium battery on hand.

Somebody once said that you can tell an amateur photographer because they only take landscape oriented photos. Well, get ready to run with the big dogs because this battery grip does nothing less than convert your Canon into a portrait camera. The grip allows you to turn the camera on it's side while holding on to a very hefty hand grip with a duplicate set of right hand controls at your fingertips. I kept getting the feeling that I had an entirely new camera and that isn't far from the truth. Taking portrait oriented photos now feels natural and relaxed. As a matter of fact, with the battery grip installed the default orientation and most comfortable position in your hand now seems to have become... portrait!

In the interest of trying to provide an unbiased, helpful review, I should mention the downside of these units too. First, the very heft and larger size camera that is in some ways appealing means it is also bigger and heavier and that is not always a good thing. No surprise there, huh? Also, even though it provides alternate strap loops, there seems no good way to use a camera strap with it and it really no longer has a "top" or "bottom" when setting it down a table.

While not a problem with the battery grip per se, when taking portrait photos the in-finder exposure details are sideways as is the menus and photo review on the LCD screen. Maybe it goes without saying but I didn't want to ignore an obvious drawback with the portrait orientation.

OPTIONAL READING - It may or may not be as rugged and roadworthy as it's American made cousin, but I can buy four of these and I would still be money ahead over buying the very expensive, identical looking Canon brand battery grip. To my mind there is only one reason for such a huge price difference and that reason is gouging!

Along a similar line, I found the Chinese "Canon compatible" intervalometer to look and operate identically to it's Canon brand counterpart - at one quarter of the price! Canon is clearly working a HUGE margin on these after market accessories and putting it right to the consumer. In view of this gouging mentality where Canon views me as nothing but a chicken to be plucked naked, I wonder why anyone would find competition and consumer choices to be a bad thing? Bad for who, that is the question. If we agree that Canon's job is to place maximized profits above everything including patriotism, ethics and even customer goodwill, might we also agree that I am entitled to maximize my buying power without guilt or silly flag waving? My suggestion would be to buy this Chinese battery pack instead of the Canon brand and treat yourself and a guest to a very expensive dinner with the money you have saved. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars excelent product!!!, July 3, 2011
I was looking for a good battery grip for my rebel xs/1000d and I find this grip, is awesome, feels really professional and my camera looks like a pro with this, I charge my canon battery and another battery that I bought and I've been using the camera 2 weeks and is still working, excelent product, the shooter is really, everything works very good and the grip is better than the camera grip, it feels great in my hands, winner choice, I recomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent grip, May 14, 2011
Was a little wary buying this as it was so cheap, but glad I did. Works great, materials seem top notch. The rubber has a great feel. All the controls feel solid. A great buy. Make sure you buy a Canon E1 Hand Strap to compliment this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate Battery Level Indicator, April 12, 2012
Mark Cicero (Fort Lee, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a battery grip for my T1i and didn't want to pay the $$$ for the Canon brand grip. This grip has a good fit and feels better in my hands than the camera without the grip. Buttons work fine for shooting in portrait mode.

My only complaint is that the camera's battery level indicator showed that the battery was quickly losing its charge (battery indicator flashing red after about 30 shots). I took the battery out and it charges in about 5 minutes. I replaced the battery and the indicator quickly changed from full charge to low charge again. I removed the battery grip and put the battery back in the camera, and the battery indicator showed a full charge. For some reason the camera cannot read the charge level of the battery accurately with the grip.

Other than the battery level indicator, I am happy with the function of this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Higher Quality than you would think for the price, August 1, 2012
This is rather high end considering the price paid for it. The rubber handle pad is higher quality than the one on the camera. It also comes with an adapter for AA batteries if you don't own 2 spare canon batteries. It adds additional functionality to the camera as well which is really nice. It has an extra shutter button and makes it a lot easier to take portrait photographs it kinda squares out the camera when its attached.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice T1i addition, September 13, 2011
I've had it a couple of weeks and it works as described. It feels very comfortable and functional with my camera. I have only confirmed that it works as described and all functions function as expected. It look and feels like part of my camera and is easy to prep and attach. I haven't had enough time with it to test power capacity, but if it drives like it feels, I'd give it five stars for sure. 2 canon batts or 6 AAs confirmed functional as well as all buttons and functions. Looks and feels great, like a pro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy crap!, August 23, 2012
Seriously, stop reading these damn reviews and just buy this thing, ok?

It's amazing.

It is well made, it feels great, it works great, it's comfortable to use... It even has a little spot to stick your battery door so it doesn't get lost.

The only thing that took me a while to figure out is the on/off switch. (Of course, if I had read the instructions, I would have figured it out sooner.) The On/off switch on the grip activates or deactivates the secondary controls, not the power for the camera.
----------
Ninja Edit: 4/9/2013
----------
There is one problem I noticed with this battery grip, but it isn't a design issue for the grip, rather an issue with the way the camera understands battery life.

The battery indicator on my T1i gets confused when using the double battery tray.

I set my camera up on a tripod to video my wedding. There was no power available, but with the two batteries, and the power indicator reading "FULL", I figured it would make it through without a problem. (With one battery in there, and the indicator reading full, I can usually get 20 minutes of video at least.) Well, it made it through the first 10 minutes, and then shut off due to low battery. This was the biggest cock up of the whole wedding, so I can't get too upset. (No one threw up / passed out / ran off...) But the moral of the story: Don't trust the battery indicator on the camera when you are using more than 1 battery, or the AA tray. It won't react the same way that you are used to it acting.

If I were going to do it again, I would have found a way to get an extension cord out there, and used my A/C adapter. (Which this grip can accommodate as well.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Menu won't work w/ battery grip, February 18, 2012
The battery grip installed quickly and easily. Everything worked well and it has a nice substantial feel. But - my camera's menu, display, review button, and live shot don't work with the grip on. I took it off, reinstalled the battery without the grip and everything worked. Ok. Let's try this again. Reinstalled the battery grip and, again, things stop working. This is my first battery grip. Is this the way it's supposed to work? I made sure the grip was turned off. Am I doing something wrong or is it a defective battery grip?

Rate and Discover Movies