4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly happy
The Neo Geo X, love it or hate it, is still being supported by Tommo, which is nice to see. Honestly I expected the 20 included games with the system to be the last time we saw anything from Tommo. The Mega Pack of games, being labeled as Volume 1, gives me some hope that the device will be supported moving forward which is good.

The first thing you have to do...
Published 14 months ago by Stephen Lerch

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning for 337 firmware
Does not work with 337 neo geo x models. I didn't have time to attempt to install it for a few months. My fault. Now I need to jailbreak my freaking neo geo.
Published 2 months ago by Adonian

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly happy, July 6, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)

The first thing you have to do in order to get the games to work on this is to update the firmware. I've read the horror stories of failed updates bricking a Neo Geo X. I am happy to report that I do NOT have this issue and the firmware process, while needlessly complicated, worked on my device with no problem at all.

The firmware update, to be clear, is VERY annoying. First, you hold the start button on your NGX, then you have to connect the included "rocket pack" to the USB port on the NGX, plug the power supply from your AES home base station into that and when it powers up, the update process should begin. Oh, wait, don't forget to toggle the switch on the "rocket pack" to X so the firmware update will work.

Another note about the firmware update. If you are one of the people using the... memory card workaround to play more games than what was included in the original system, this firmware update WILL break this process. Since you already "own" all the games for the Neo Geo, I'm not sure you will care. The better audio is tempered by still having the Vsync issues for me.

Once updated, the audio from the NGX is the first thing I've noticed that is improved. Very, very nice and high quality audio is coming from the speakers, headphones and out of my surround receiver when using the NGX as a home console.

The one thing I wanted the firmware to address was screen tearing. On the hand held, screen tearing is non-existent, or so difficult to notice that it goes unnoticed unless I focus on it. On the TV, however, the screen tearing is HORRENDOUS still. This has NOT been corrected at all, though it hasn't gotten any worse either. Given the power of the hand held (a Dingoo in disguise), we know it's capable of Vsync, which would kill the tearing, yet Tommo hasn't included it in this update. I guess we can hope they get it right with Mega Pack 2?

And that's one other thing that burns me up. If I want the better firmware, can I get it without having to shell out the money for either a single release or the Mega Pack? NO, you cannot. You MUST have the "rocket pack" to update the firmware. This is NOT cool at all, especially for those that are happy with the 20 games included with it originally. Not cool Tommo.

Enhancements with the new firmware include the games now remember whether you want full screen or widescreen, MUCH better audio support and save capability (Magician Lord thanks you!).

The other additions to the firmware are silly and superfluous, such as the ability to speed up games. Useless.

One thing I would love to see is the ability configure the controls. I would love to be able to assign multiple button presses to the shoulder buttons.

As for the games, there are some really great titles included here. Last Blade? OH YES! Best game on the NGX by far. Then you get Garou? I need to wipe the drool from my mouth. Metal Slug 2? Top Hunter? WOW.

I think that's the nice part with this collection. It doesn't include a ton of games that were available on say, the Xbox Live, Virtual Console or PSN. Several titles, both with the original system and this collection, are ONLY available here, or via the Neo Geo home or arcade setup (or emulation).

The titles included are:

Shock Troopers
Super Sidekicks 3
Top Hunter
World Heroes Jet 2

Overall, is this worth the money? For me, yes, as now I can play Neo Geo games on the go with a decent gamepad without having to drag one along with my laptop. For those already playing emulated versions on your computers, or those that already hacked their NGX, this is definitely not worth the money.

Recommended with caveats.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to enjoy classic SNK games on a budget, July 8, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)
As an avid gamer, I will give this 5 stars. in my younger years there was no way my family could afford the Neo-Geo AES system. We were an Atari and NES family. in my 20's I was able to burn some money on a home AES system and game after game. I think I probably owned about $5,000+ worth of Neo -Geo games. I ended up having to sell it to help purchase a home. Now as an adult and parent. dropping thousands of dollars on video games is no longer an option. I was happy to see TOMO secure the rights for this Neo-Geo X system and games. Yes there are ways the cheat the system and download Rom's via Mame, Xbox Live, Wii shop or other emulators but this Mega pack and individual packs are a great way to support the SNK games we all lusted after as kids. The prices are right on for my budget. I spent under $100 for the Neo-Geo X system here on Amazon and for $79.99 for the 15 Mega pack, I can safely say it was worth the investment. Yes, Tomo's support for the system and firmware issues have caused problems for some. But we all need to remember. Neo-Geo was never as big as Nintendo or Sega. We all forgave Microsoft over the dreaded RROD (I am on my 8th 360). Let's cut TOMO some slack and support them and get them to release the entire AES library for this system.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have the NeoGeo X, you must buy this, September 19, 2013
S. Kosloske (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)
If for no other reason than to get the firmware upgrade, you should buy it.

I know what people are saying, the firmware should be free, well fine, but guess what, it's not. This is a unique product/project, and if you've bought in so far, might as well spend another $70 for 15 more games, and the upgrade.

The firmware upgrade process is pretty wonky. I read a lot of forum posts about the upgrade process bricking their unit, or just not working. For me, I had to restart the firmware upgrade process 3 times before it finished. And it was pretty clenchy during that process, wondering if I'd have a working system when I was done.

The new games are a mixed bag of very good and "what were they thinking?". You can read the reviews on the various Neo Geo sites. But hey, it comes out to about $5 per game, with the firmware thrown in for free. I think it's a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKED FLAWLESSLY!, December 28, 2013
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)
So at first, I was a bit worried since I had the first launch version of the console (Ver 337) and I heard stories from other people that the had trouble updating their console. I can tell you now, I had zero issues with updating my console (Ver 500) through this item. I received a lot more than I originally thought I was receiving from this purchase.
After getting the item, I noticed on top of the update device and the game card (with protective case) that has 15 Neo Geo games, was also a high quality travel case for your hand-held console that looks just like a AES cartridge clamshell case, a glossy booklet that doubles as an instruction manual/art book for all 15 games with bonus Neo-Geo stickers, and a travel charger, so you can charge your hand-held console directly without having to use the AES looking console.
In case your wondering, with the new Ver 500 update, some of the updates you'll receive are, games saves, updates on user interface, improved audio and improved responsiveness from USB Neo Geo joystick and a few other minor updates.
Sadly, when this package was first released, a few shipped out w/ some serious bugs/glitches. These issues have been ironed out and whichever version of the Neo Geo X you may have, the update should now go smoothly, just follow the simple instructions that is included. Do yourself a favor and pick this up ASAP!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product besides a minor hiccup..., June 30, 2013
Jimmy (Plano, TX USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)
Here's the list of upgrades for the firmware 500 update (from their official website):

- Game saves now available on almost every game (except Ninja Master's) by holding all 4 face buttons while the game's being loaded (you have to format the virtual memory card but only once per game)
- Improved sound quality
- Responsiveness of arcade stick
- Aspect ratio preference saved
- Load bar of actual data has been improved
- Video output adjusted to full size of most TV's
- Game selection menu has been adjusted with a, "one click, one move" interface

The HDMI output is sharper, clearer & more vibrant although I hear the composite output quality has been downgraded for some weird reason (haven't confirmed the latter). The sound is clearer & louder. I had an issue with the update (stopped halfway thru the process) so after 20-mins, I just unplugged the rocket cable FROM BOTH THE AC ADAPTER & NEO GEO X PORTABLE CONSOLE then restarted from step 1 & all was well. You have to unplug from both ends of the rocket cable (to reset the module) to restart the process (even says so on their official website) so keep that in mind if you're having issues.

Comes in a case (same 1:1 size!) that resembles a Neo Geo AES-style cart case. That case's in a clear sleeve (with a sealed Neo Geo sticker). Inside the case, there's an area to store the Neo Geo X portable console. Also, the manual includes a brief description of each game in addition to stickers for all of them. As for the included games, what can I say besides pure retro bliss! My only complaint is that I wish the firmware was available online as in, you shouldn't have to buy anything just for a firmware update hence a one-star deduction. I was planning on buying this Mega Pack regardless but you get my point. I'll update this review if need be as I use it more. Checkout the pics I uploaded.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning for 337 firmware, July 5, 2014
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)
WARNING. DO NOT GET THIS IF YOU HAVE 337 model. It will make your hdmi output fail if you attempt to upgrade. It can brick your neo geo. It didn't brick mine but my hdmi no longer works so I can only play it as handheld.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neo geo x Best item, September 23, 2013
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)
It is very good collection on games, these games on the original Neo geo were so expensive to buy. I love that this pack had them for purchase for the price it was. Let the modern era of gaming compete with these quality games. I will take retro any day

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Firmware Update, February 13, 2014
A. Davis (Austin, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)
Bought one and it was defective. Manufacturer customer support unresponsive beyond initial contact. Amazon customer service sent a repalcement unit and the first was returned. Exact same problem with the second unit. There is something seriously wrong with the firmware update in this item. Returned again for a refund. Thanks Amazon customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Stuff! 8D, March 23, 2014
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)
For an NEO GEO Enthusiast, there is a must-have! I feel extremely good in just fill a gap I had since 14's. =D

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy, May 28, 2014
This review is from: NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 (Video Game)
If you are fan of the glory days, then this is a no doubt that you have to buy this.

NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1
NEOGEO X Mega Pack Vol 1 by NEOGEO X (Not Machine Specific)
$79.99 $65.97