Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASP .NET Developer's Guide
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 21, 2003
Where would I be with Greg Buczek and his ASP/ASP.NET books! Listen, there are tons of ASP and ASP.NET books on the market. I know because I have a bad habit of buying them as soon as they hit the shelf (WROX, SAMS, etc). As a developer myself, I develop custom built solutions for my clients. When I have a coding problem, Gregs books usually has the answer I am looking for. I just completed building a ASP.NET help desk/asset management application for a client and the ASP.NET Developer's Guide provided most of the code samples I was looking for. Granted, other ASP/ASP.NET books have more detail and technical information. Yet Greg brings ASP.NET in a simple and easy to understand format for the beginner or novice developer. He even answers email. Keep it up Greg!!!
on August 5, 2003
Your previous ASP book has helped me to become a confident Web application developer using classic ASP. Suddenly when I had to move to .NET environment, I thought I was smart by purchasing books from other authors, just for change. I was wrong!. I will always be loyal to you Greg.
on June 24, 2003
I just got done reading this book, and I have never had the pleasure of reading such a clear, concise lesson book before on any subject.
This really got me excited about ASP.NET, and I am now ready to dive right in and start building my data driven web site.
The inclusion of the chapters on IIS Security and SSL encryption was VERY appropriate and timely for me, because I will have to protect some portions of my web content
on January 30, 2002
I am beginning to get the idea that McGraw Hill works for shelf presence rather than content. Their ASP.NET books are weighing in at a lot of pages, which rates high in thunk factor (the sound a book makes when dropped on a table). If you are interested in a nice thick book, you will find it here; beware, however, as the book uses large fonts and lots of white space.
I am also impressed that Greg Buczek uses CodeBehind in parts of his book. So many of the ASP.NET books on the market fail to separate code and tags, which is one of the best parts of the paradigm of .NET. It seems more like an afterthought, however, as he calls it an advanced topic. This is correct if you come from an ASP background perhaps, but separation of code and UI (tags) is a core part of the .NET programming paradigm.
Much of the book deals with different controls that you use in a page. I will not belittle this point, as Visual Studio .NET and the .NET Framework do a lot of work for you. You will be over 300 pages into the book before the song changes to .NET Framework objects.
There are only about 60 pages on data access, which is two chapters: OLEDB and SQL providers. This is the weakest part of the book, and my reason for rating the book a bit lower than average. Data is critical to Enterprise applications and 60 pages, esp. with such large fonts, falls way short.
The thing I find the most "cool" in the book is the chapter on the Mobile SDK. The .NET mobile controls are a nice addition, and make creating applications for cell phones and PDAs a breeze.
on November 18, 2003
All in all i think this is a pretty good book. I can see how some might object to the way it is pumped up to so many pages, though. At first it reminded me of the times you had to write a 10 page term paper and had had only 5 pages of material. Each code snippet appears twice. First, in its entirety and then each and every line is repeated individually along with a comment , double-spaced. Each control attribute is on its own line. Examples that build on previous ones are also repeated like this from scratch. BUT I soon got over this because I found i was able to follow the examples very easily. Another thing to note is that you will learn the ASP.NET *CODE* not VS.NET. Most of the book doesn't even touch the VS.NET IDE. But because the examples are explained so clearly, you can actually learn a lot just by reading instead of pointing and clicking and copying code.
on February 25, 2002
Mr. Buczek's ability to summarize information and distill it down to what I need to write my application is great! I bought both of his ASP.NET books based on how much I used the previous ASP books. His approach to explaining the use of ASP.NET seems to be this: provide the information the reader has to have to actually create an application. I find his explanations of how ASP.NET is incorporated into the programming environment very helpful since I don't always understand how the products that have to be used relate to each other. Great job and thanks!
on November 21, 2003
I have several ASP.NET books and this one is the best.
It is written pretty concisely, it has a lot of examples and its sample applications are useful in the real life. Chapters on IIS and Security are especially applicable for web development, though Part 3 which deals with working either could use more information on ADO.Net. Overall it is an excellent book for ASP.Net Development
on June 25, 2009
I can't find a source code to download
This is excellent book but there's no source to download code anywhere.
I was looking for all over the internet but it's really time consumming
Would you let me know how to get a download source code for this book?

on May 19, 2004
Greg's book is one of the best ASP.NET beginning development books that I have ever read. I have purchased a total of 68 books on ASP.NET, ADO.NET, C#, and VB.NET; this is 1 of 5 that I still keep at my desk at work for reference. This book contains web applications and topics including the following:
Forums
Shopping Cart
Database Connectivity
Cookies
AND SO MUCH MORE!
Pick this book up today; it is a wise investment, especially for a beginner who desires to own a book that covers VB.NET, ASP.NET, and ADO.NET together.
on November 18, 2003
All in all i think this is a pretty good book. I can see how some might object to the way its pumped up to so many pages, though. At first it reminded me of the times you had to write a 10 page term paper and had had only 5 pages of material. Each code snippet appears twice. First in its entirety and then each and every line is repeated individually along with a comment , double-spaced. But I soon got over this because I found i was able to follow it very easily. Examples that build on previous ones are also repeated like this from scratch. Another thing to note is that you will learn the ASP.NET *CODE* not VS.NET. Most of the book doesn't even touch the VS.NET IDE. But because the examples are explained so clearly, you can learn alot just by reading instead of pointing and clicking.