Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on January 10, 2013
*EDIT: My original is true if you only go through Net10's websites/phone lines. You can get it working, but you must buy your airtime from a separate retailer (Walmart, Best Buy, Calling Mart, etc.), and then this SIM will work for you. I've changed my rating to 3 stars to reflect this discovery*

I've never felt so stupid when trying to register/buy/activate something online.

So the SIM card is fine - it's a SIM card, ya know? No big deal. But it comes with instructions to activate the card via [...] or a toll free number. Each is equally mind numbing.

Go to the website, start the activation process, enter all the requested information, and then run into a screen which says that an Airtime plan is required for activation. No problem, I understood that I would need to purchase the airtime plan separately. The problem is this: purchasing airtime is not an option unless the phone/SIM has already been activated.

So, I need the airtime plan to activate the SIM, but I need the SIM activated to purchase the airtime plan. What? *Edit: To solve this, go buy the airtime plan from a third party, like Walmart, Best Buy, or Calling Mart - this can be purchased online, code delivered immediately via email.*

To the phone! Calling the toll free number, hoping to get it sorted quickly, I first sit through a long automated message reiterating everything posted online and written in the documentation that came with the SIM. Then I make my selections from the automated menus, the robot tells me they are experiencing high call volume and can't take any more calls, and then hangs up on me. I try again a few more times, and it hangs up on me each time. I wait a few minutes, call back, the robot tells me it will be a 30min wait, and puts me in the queue. 56 minutes later, I give up, having spoken to no one.

Where to turn? I try the Net10 online forum, where my questions can't be answered because they can't respond to my questions until my questions have been approved, and I must first make 5 posts before my questions can be approved. Truly the least sensible forum system I have ever encountered. So, again, I give up.

Three strikes, Net10.

My conclusion? Net10 does not want my money. If they did, they would make it easy for me to give it to them. Heck, if not easy, they would at least make it possible.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
As of 03.01.2013, data is capped at 1.5GB per month (or 30 day prepaid cycle). Once 1.5GB is reached, data is DISABLED, not speed reduced, until the next month (or 30 day prepaid cycle). So, if you reach 1.5GB 20 days in, you have to wait 10 days to get data services again. Currently there is no option to buy additional data.

Overall, still a great alternative to off contract AT&T users who are looking to jump ship, aren't heavy data users, and who don't/can't get descent T-Mobile service (like me). Additionally, phones coming off AT&T don't have to be unlocked.

FWIW, Straight Talk is now officially a T-Mobile based service (previously AT&T activated Straight Talk subscribers are not affected, except by a similar data cap as mentioned above for NET10). ATM, Straight Talk only offers reduced data speed service, after your prepaid subscription specific monthly amount of full speed data service is reached, for current and new T-Mobile Straight Talk subscribers.

In short, if you have an unlocked GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile) phone, and get decent T-Mobile service, get Straight Talk. If you have a locked GSM AT&T or an unlocked GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile) phone, and can't get decent T-Mobile service, get NET10.
66 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2013
I am a Bring your Phone customer, one day, phone stopped working. Called Net10, twice they transferred me to "Tier2" a voicemail that at the end hangs up on you. 3rd time called back, they wanted to transfer me again, asked over a period of 15 minutes 12 times to talk to supervisor, they refused to connect me. They said they will loose their job if they transferred me to a supervisor. I was also told they cannot tell me why my phone stopped working. DO NOT USE NET10! Sending pics in IM (SMS) is not supported, I will not renew with them.

I tried to leave this feedback on other sites, but it did not allow me to post.
on June 12, 2013
I bought a net10 unlimited att sim and after a month the data stopped work six weeks later and still no data

see wwwdotnet10forumdotcom and read the mobile web access forum

No customer service many complaints it is not just me
on April 13, 2013
just bought this last week and have had Net 10 service for over 2 years with many different phones. You can't use sim card in any of their other phones and don't try and port your existing number without being on the phone with someone from India for hours. Currently I just bought their sim card and I'm using my AT&T LOCKED HTC Inspire 4G on their $50 a month plan. It works great but internet data rates although said to be at 4G speeds isn't the best at times but does worked. to recap customer service does suck at times but I live in South Jersey and phone service is excellent. I pay less then half of what I used to for only 400 minutes with ATT. Net 10 servie is worth the hassles if you live in an area where they have service like NJ. I installed an App called My data manager that helps me keep track of my data use since they do limit data to 1.5gb and then cut you off. It does a great job at letting me know which programs hog the most data so I try and use those only when WIFI is present. Overall I believe the money I save monthly is well worth any of the hassles I've experienced.

Net 10 customer service = 1 star
phone service in my area = 5 stars
data service my area= 4 stars
on August 2, 2013
I have been with Net10 for over a year and this month I will not renew. I purchased the $50 unlimited plan a week ago. I activate my phone only to find out that my sim card expired. I called customer service 5 different times to be told this. The rep told me that they try to send me sim card but it was returned. Which was a lie. I was informed that I would be receiving a new sim in 3-5 bussiness days. The new sim arrives lo and behold it does not work. I call back to tell them the problem I get the run around. Come to find out they sent me a t-mobile sim card that is not compatible with my phone. I ask the rep how did that happen if for a year I had a att sim. Buyers beware never use Net10 you will be so dissappointed.
on July 19, 2013
I have had net10 service for a few months. since the beginning it has been challenging to say the least! Just trying to switch service from boost was a nightmare!Had to buy two different sim cards! the website is ridiculous! whenever i enter my phone number it just reloads the same page. it doesn't take me anywhere! When it is time to pay my bill i have to open the email they send and go to that website (which doesn't even look like the same website so i was kinda iffy about giving it my information)When i have an issue with my phone or service i call and they send me to an automated message about high data usage. (no matter what the issue is!) The last straw for me was today. I paid my bill 2 weeks ago ($50 UNLIMITED plan) and two days ago i wake up and my phone is not working. so i call. they send me to the automated message 3 different times. Finally i got a supervisor to tell me that my data shouldn't be suspended but that there was a network outage in my area. call back in 24 hrs. called back. get sent to the same automated message 2 more times. until finally another supervisor gets on the phone to tell me that once again my data should not be suspended. that the network outage was still going on. Call back the third day in a row and get the same response. "data suspended because you are over 1.5gb (even though i only used 350 mgb!) and the network outage was still going on. and they couldn't tell me what supposedly used this 1.5g of data! they didn't send me a notification saying it was getting close. seems like they only told me things to appease me and didn't really give me any answers at all! They just take your money apparently! I am so going back to boost! never had an issue with them!
on July 15, 2013
Application specifically requested our old cell number. Sim card arrived 7/08 with "New Number". Repeated daily calls requesting a new sim card got us nowhere. Spoke with two different managers and not one could
help. Told by manager that Fed-ex picked up new sim card on 7/08. Spoke with Fed-ex today the 15th of July and they never received a pick-up ticket. All customer service agents have told us something different.
WORST customer service ever!!!!! You get what you pay for!!
on July 27, 2013
I bought a Huawei H868C so called smart phone that would supposedly access the unlimited data promised at $50 a month. The sales person at the brick and mortar store claimed I could tether a laptop to it for internet access; which was far from reality. The only internet access is through the phone using the poor resolution screen, extremely bad touch keypad, really buggy software, and extremely slow connection speed. The only browser choice is google chrome and it would not work with my personal email, only web based email systems like g-mail. I tried to find support for the bluetooth not pairing with my Plantronics hands free device; I found a website that wanted the phone serial number but wouldn't take the number I found in the phone's system settings and the link to how to find the serial number only led me to a sales data page for the phone. Net10 is obviously only in the business of selling, not supporting or delivering on their sales hype. ZERO Stars on this one or maybe there should be a negative star system for things like this.
Update: I have suffered with this phone for 5 months an it only gets worse with time. During a call, the phone will suddenly re-boot for no reason and lose all of the changes I made to the default settings including the setting that allows the allows the abysmal internet access; that setting is buried in the settings where it is almost impossible to find. It also loses the pairing with my bluetooth for no reason. The service or lack thereof that I pay for is worth about 1/4 of the price.
on July 22, 2015
Good deal. Net 10 was using AT&T towers when I was using there service...they may still be using their towers...so the service was great, well the internet would slow down sometimes but I wasn't a heavy internet user so it wasn't a issue for me. Recommend.