Note: I received a beta version of this product in exchange for an honest review.

Published 10 months ago by DanishN

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition..with some caveats
Ok first the good...

Published 5 months ago by Michael J. Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good! Performs Great! Very Reliable! Best Extender I have ever used! OCT 2014 UPDATE, January 22, 2014
This review is from: NETGEAR AC1200 High Power 700mW Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender - Desktop with 5 Ports (EX6200) (Personal Computers)

The EX6200 is a great product. I currently have this setup in a garage so I can get Wi-Fi signal in my backyard. The two external antennae mean I can easily go 500+ feet away and still get great signal quality. For example, I can watch a 1080p video, on the other side of the backyard without any buffering.

Design

There is a USB 3.0 port on the front that can function as a home backup, temporary file storage, music streaming, etc. It also works great. I currently have a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive plugged in that stores all my music. From that flash drive I stream to various devices. For example: A laptop connected to outdoor speakers.
Also it features 5 GIGABIT Ethernet ports that function as a switch. I have 3 devices that are connected. They function as advertised. No problems.
This extender also has a power button. Useful to those who have the device plugged in a hard to reach location. One could easily push the button to turn it off, if on a vacation, etc.

Performance

The setup for the extender took less than five minutes. You power it on, connect to an SSID named NETGEAR_EXT, open a browser and type the URL listed in the manual, and follow the on screen setups.
OR you could simply press the WPS on your router, and press the WPS button on the extender. The two will "talk" and the extender will configure itself! This is impressive.
This extender features something called "Fastlane Technology" which speeds up ONE Wi-Fi band. Instead of extending both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, it extends one with maximum performance. For example I connect to the extender using the 5 GHz band. The extender connects to the router using 2.4 GHz, and to the client (my devices) with the 5 GHz band. This technology claims to offer better video streaming performance. I haven't really seen a difference, however.

If you are in the market for a GREAT range extender, look no further! This is the BEST extender offered in the market right now!

UPDATE 07/04/14: Still working great. Only reboots when I update the firmware. Currently there are 6 devices connected to the extender, and 17 to the router. A new 64gb USB flash drive is connected and handles Windows backups. No performance degradation.

UPDATE 10/13/14: Still running fine since July 4th. 101 day up time. I have put a laptop cooling pad under the extender to keep it cool.

Note: I always do a factory reset (hold reset button for 7 seconds) after updating the firmware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product But A Couple OF Little Things (Still The Best Extender Ever) UPDATE Sept 2014, March 28, 2014
I must say this is the best extender I have ever owned and I have owned almost every brand due to the layout of my home. The power and coverage was surprising to say the least and the throughput if you use the Fastlane Technology which basically allows the extender to use one of its dual bands to communicate with the router exclusively (this is NOT a default you have to use the setup menu to set it up). This allows previously unheard of throughput using ANY extender.

Now we get to the very few problems, if you use WEP security as I did at the time I bought this, the much advertised WPS setup WILL NOT WORK! That would not be a big deal but it did make me waste about 45 minutes trying to figure out why it would not work since it never tells you why it will not work, just times out and looks back at you. (NOTE: I used WEP only because of the poor performance of my previous extenders, with this extender I can use any security I wish and have upgraded to WPA/WPA2 which this extender uses with no problem)

The other thing is that you cannot set this extender up with a device that is on a wired connection, it seems odd but this is a 100% wireless device and so instead of using my blazing speed desktop to set this up, I had to go to another room and use a laptop to connect to the extender and set it up, minor thing but it was a bit of a pain and also wasted a few more minutes before I carefully once again read through the very few pages of instructions and saw the answer in a FAQ question.

Thats it folks, everything else has worked better than any extender I have owned (the Linksys that required a voodoo spell to operate, the Hawking that required a power off/on at random times, the Amped that might work fine on alternate phases of the moon, etc).

I can say that if you pair this extender with the following router, NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) ,you will have the fastest and most powerful setup you have ever owned in overall coverage and throughput. This will require a healthy chunk of change to purchase but you will not regret it. the two items combined using the Fastlane setting and you will feel almost like a wired connection (well that is an exaggeration) but it will most likely blow your old setup out of the water.

If not for the WEP thing and the requirement for a wireless device to even set this thing up it would be 5 Stars

UPDATE: Noticed today that since I setup the Fastlane function that the 5 Gig light stays on but the 2.4 light is out even though I have it setup for the 5 Gig band to communicate with the router and the 2.4 band to serve the devices. Spent about 30+ minutes trying to find out if this was a malfunction or not, redid the setup and it seems this is normal but in my mind both lights should have stayed on since the are both working or at least the 2.4 light since the 5G band is only a communication band. Still works great but not instinctual and the 100% WIFI connection can cause you some problems, only 1 of my laptops can connect to the setup menu without turning the computer WIFI off, I advise taking your time and doing everything right the first time with this extender since accessing the menu after all bands are setup seems to be a lot more tricky. Performance-wise this is still the best extender ever but several user unfriendly things make me feel the 4 Star rating is much more accurate. If all else fails I guess you can use the reset button :)

UPDATE JULY 2014: Not much to report but I did have to do the old power off/on thing 2 times, seems the signal dropped, but I have installed a recent firmware update and it may have cured that problem since there has been no repeat of it. Still the best extender I have owned but it is not perfect so my 4 Stars is looking more accurate with each day. Random note: Since I had gotten the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) the signal from that router was so powerful the devices fell back to the router and I did not notice the extender had dropped for a day or two (weak signal problems started cropping up). It would seem that a few people who buy the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) may no longer have a need for an extender depending on your individual setup.

NOTE SEPT 2014: Netgear has now released a newer router NETGEAR AC3200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000) which sounds amazing but from the research and reading of reviews unless you plan to hook up multiple X-Boxes to your network and connect all of them to XBox Live, you should save your money and stick with the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) since you most likely see no real increase in performance and no increase at all through this extender. It also has serious problems that Netgear is working on if you use a wired SONOS connection. I guess I should add that since the firmware upgrades the unit has performed flawlessly and I have not had to touch it since July so at the 6 month mark I am still deliriously happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition..with some caveats, June 21, 2014
Ok first the good...

it works as advertised. It clearly does a great job as a repeater. Dual band, single band, does it all and does it all well. Lots of options here and did what I needed to do - replace my old wireless bridges and give my computer (work home here) exclusive access to the 5Ghz band and provide some better coverage in a bonus room (where it is only used after I'm done working).

Second, "ok"...

that vertical stand you see in the photo? plan on using it. when the device sits horizontally it gets very very warm. If you have to keep it vertical I'd plan on getting some heat sinks to sit above and below of the device. might even crack open the case, make a hole, and attach directly to the board/cpu with heat xfer paste.

And finally "same on you Netgear"..

proprietary software to hook up a printer to the USB port? (kind of)Proprietary software to use as a NAS? we back in 2003? these devices have a shelf life (e.g. working in my house for 6-7 years) what makes me think you are going to keep updating your software that long to work the next version of windows? or Mac OS.? I have an old Linksys PSUS4, now nearing 8 years old, that doesn't use any proprietary software (LPR, TCP/IP - ok this device did if you needed bi-directional communication, but i don't) - which sadly I had to connect back up on my network as I thought this would be suitable replacement. unreal. they should be ashamed...the printer software didn't even work which is worse part. imagine this could be corrected with a firmware update - and i'd recommend they do this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay..., June 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm kind of having a hard time writing this review because I don't want to be really negative and I have a lot of challenges as far as networking but...

For the impatient, the bottom line is that it increased the signal power by one bar. So yes, it did improve the wifi signal, but not by a huge amount.

The problem may be that I live in a two-story log home. Despite what people claim about wifi penetrating wood/walls, what they really mean is that the signal can penetrate regular drywall with wooden studs. They can't possibly mean 8" diameter solid logs because the signal simple doesn't.

How did I test?
I have our DSL modem upstairs in a small room at the top of the stairs. The signal of our regular wifi modem can barely make it down the stairs. When I set up the Netgear wifi range extender, we got a slight improvement in the signal on the ground floor. One bar.

And the thing is (for those who are not network geeks) it doesn't so much "extend" the network as create a secondary network hanging off of your primary network. I mention this because for those who are not so technically inclined, it can be confusing and awkward.

If you've set up your primary network with a specific name and password, then you have to be prepared to set up a secondary network and password (the password can be the same as your primary network, but it will have another network name) and specifically select the "extended" network to connect. Which means you are going to be diddling around with your network connections a bit more than you may expect. Please note that I'm deliberately simplifying this because not everyone who buys a network range extender is a network guru.

So...yeah. It does, kind of, extend your network if you remember to select the network segment created by the Netgear extender. And it does kind of improve the signal (I got one more bar).

If you live in a regular house with newer network gear, you may find that your results are much better. If you have older network gear and live in a peculiar dwelling (like mine) then you might not get everything you hoped for. I was not able to get a good enough signal improvement to use our Roku in the living room as a strictly wifi device. We're still using a network segment that uses the house's electrical wiring as the "network cabling" to give us a pseudo-hardwired connection back to the switch connected to our DSL modem for performance reasons.

I also noticed some "drag" on our network after I hooked the Netgear range extender up, similar to what we experienced with another device we experimented with. I ended up turning off the "wifi range extender" function on the other device to get back our overall network responsiveness. I mention this because it was very noticeable at first. THings have smoothed out a bit, but I'm still considering removing the Netgear to see if the network responsiveness improves. It may very well be that we simply have too many devices trying to share that small DSL link. Nonetheless, it is a consideration.

Hope this babbling helps someone...

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, super fast, but it has bugs, March 14, 2014
I've been using this router for a week now. First, I will start with the good. It's fast, and improved household coverage and eliminated gaps. It doubled the upload speed from my PC to my home server.

Now the problem. If you like the extra security of MAC filters on your router, then you will have problems with this extender. The good news is they can be fixed with a little effort. The problem I had was 1) finding all of the router MAC addresses and 2) I still could not connect past the extender if I had MAC filtering enabled on my router. There are THREE MAC addresses for this extender. Two are listed on the tag underneath the extender but there is one more that you have to find on your own (its in the attached devices list if you turn off MAC filtering on your router). But this still doesn't solve the problem. The next problem is that the extender reassigns MAC addresses on the router for all devices attached to the extender. The extender changes the first 6 characters of the MAC address to 02:0F:B5 and then leaves the last 6 characters as they originally were. So even with the 3 router MAC's added, your PC still won't connect through the extender until you add the "extender MAC address" for your PC which is 02:0F:B5:xx:xx:xx where the x's represent the original last 6 characters of your PC's MAC address.

So the best fix is a pain. Take your whole MAC filter list (or at least the devices you want to have access to the extender) and re-add each one with 02:0F:B5 as the first 6 characters and the last 6 remaining the same. Keep your originals too because they are still needed to connect direct to the router. But you have to add a whole new set for devices that connect through the router from the extender. I know for a fact this bug exists on d-link and netgear routers. But if you do what I described above, everything will connect and work through the extender with MAC filtering on the router.

I still like the router, but I can not give it 5 stars with this bug, otherwise I would. Hopefully Netgear will release a firmware update for this issue.

PS. The setup wizard (when it fails to connect with MAC filtering enabled on the router) will show you the THREE MAC addresses you need to add. Again, one is not listed on the tag underneath the device and there is no way to get it other than through the setup wizard or by disabling MAC filtering and taking a peek at your attached devices. But even after you add those three, you still have to redo the ones you have already if you want them to ever connect through your router. And I would start with the PC you're using to set up the extender (hint). If your PC adapter's MAC address is AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA, then you need to ADD your PC again as 02:0F:B5:AA:AA:AA...and so on for all of the devices you want to use the extender.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 17, 2014 11:20:33 AM PDT
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your review, and for indicating the issues you were seeing with the Mac address filter list. What you are seeing is not actually a bug, but is part of the design of range extenders. This is documented in FAQ of the "Learn more about your EX6200" book that comes with the extender. If you want more details you can refer to page 18 in the FAQ section.

Regards,

Netgear Team

5.0 out of 5 stars High powered extender & bridge, April 16, 2014
Recently, I was offered a chance to review Netgear's EX6200 Range Extender*. Having recently completed a basement remodel, I jumped at the chance. Four days after the offer was extended the package arrived and I immediately setup the device.

Initial setup was a breeze and took only a few minutes to have the device online and extending my existing network. The process consisted of the standard WPS procedure of pressing the WPS button on the main router. Quick and painless!

The EX6200 has a number of features that Netgear touts:
-802.11 AC / AC1200
-Beamforming+
- Fastlane Technology
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports x 5
-Wireless Printing
-ReadyShare USB

802.11AC is a new wireless standard that allows for faster speeds and extended range. I believe the highest tier available currently is AC1900 which allows for a theoretical connection top end of 1900 megabits per second. The EX6200 is an AC1200 class device and has a theoretical connection top end of 1200 megabits per second. One should not expect to see those speeds in real world usage.

Beamforming is a technology built into all AC devices. This feature allows the device to actually focus its antennae on the client devices. Theoretically, this should allow for extended range but usually only results in a more stable connection between the two devices. The downside is that this technology requires that the devices on both end be AC certified. Netgear's Beamforming+ goes beyond the basic specification and will apply the beamforming to ANY wireless device connected to it. Pretty cool.

When using a repeater the theoretical speeds achieved are usually halved. This is due to the device having to receive a signal then retransmitting the data to the end device. Netgear has gotten around this limitation by using Fastlane Technology. This allows the EX6200 to receive data on one band (2.4GHz) and transmitting that data on the other band (5GHz) to the end device. Another nifty little trick.

The five gigabit ports on the device are feature one would usually have on a router or a dedicated wireless bridge. I don't think very many extenders have the feature. This would be great for connecting one's media center to while extending the network at the same time.

The EX6200 has a feature that allows one of the available USB ports to be used for a USB printer. This allows that printer to be available to any device connected to the network to wirelessly print. The EX6200 has the added benefit of turning ANY printer into an Airprint device. This a definite advantage over having to buy another printer that's Airprint certified.

ReadyShare USB is the ability to use the available USB 3.0 port to connect to a USB hard drive. Should one do this, it allows for anyone on the network to access that drive's contents. This would be great for streaming movies and music off the hard drive, wireless computer backups, and general centralized file storage.

Now for the actual meat and potatoes of this review. I live in a home that was built in the middle of the 20th century. This means that the wall construction consists of wooden slats, chicken wire, cement, tile, plaster, and stucco. This is in addition to the old and unshielded wiring. Suffice it to say, there are a number of dead spots in the fringes of the house. Due to the layout of the house I had to place my main router on the second floor of the house. This made for a pretty significant dead spot in my newly finished basement. It was possible to get a signal down there but it was extremely slow and inconsistent. With the EX6200 the signal is strong and allows for about 3/4 of the upload and download speed I would get if I was directly hooked into the router. The extended signal even reaches the furthest corner of my garden. AWESOME.

The other usage scenario I have is where I used the EX6200 purely as a wireless bridge. The device allows you to disable the extending/ repeating features and allows any device hooked up via Ethernet to use the AC connection. Again, my speeds were fast and strong. Prior to using the EX6200 as a bridge, I'd been using an N450 adapter. Using my router's ReadyShare feature and the N450 adapter it would take me about six minutes to transfer a 5.5 gigabyte file from the USB hard drive over wireless signal. With the EX6200 it takes only four. A 33% reduction in time to transfer is great!

As far as things I DON'T like about the product, there are a few. The first one is purely aesthetic. The entire product is covered in triangular perforations and indentations. Some are there for cooling but most just seem to be there for decorative purposes -- I don't like it at all. It's a little too flashy and I'm pretty certain those indentations are going to trap dust like none other. It's going to drive me crazy trying to keep it clean.

The second has to do with the white LED inside of the extender. It is ridiculously bright and shines out of all of those triangular perforations. It's going to be a major distraction if the device is being used in a home theater or if the device is mounted in a bedroom. The R7000 Nighthawk router I have has the option to turn off the LEDs via the GUI. The EX6200 doesn't have that option. I hope that Netgear's engineers will add the functionality in a later firmware update.

The last issue is a bit more disconcerting. The unit seems to run a little warm -- quite a bit warmer than the R7000. The lack of active cooling doesn't help the issue. I don't have access to a temperature probe, so I can't tell what the actual temperature is. However, the heat doesn't seem to be affecting the unit in any way. It's something I'll keep my eye on and will update my review should anything change.

Admittedly, the $130 price point is a bit high. However, one has to take into account the versatility of the device and the target market. This is an extremely powerful range extender. It has an incredible usable radius. Additionally, it can be used as a wireless bridge for an entire entertainment center. Not to mention the added benefits of Beamforming+ and Airprint certification. Another feature that swung me into Netgear's corner is the fact that the company's firmware is extremely stable. One of their competitors has products targeting the same user base but has terrible firmware and took months for them to stabilize. I'm happy to not avoid that issue with the EX6200 and the R7000.

While I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the product to my family and friends, I'd only do it if they met a certain type of criteria. Though setup was easy enough, I think the device could only be appreciated fully by someone with a need to link up an entire home theater/ entertainment system or someone wanting only the best in range and throughput. Basically, power users. I think the general user that needs only the network extension would be better served by a product such as the Netgear EX6100. That being said, this is the product for those in need of something greater than your average range extender and for those wanting the best on the market.

*Full disclosure: Netgear provided the unit free of charge for test and evaluation

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Extender, April 13, 2014
Just purchased this a few days ago and have been a happy camper since. It replaced an Amped Wireless extender which, while it worked fine, it was only one band. This one has both bands covered and puts out a signal that makes you think you're standing right next to it even though you're outside in the back yard or the other side of the house.

Mine is coupled with the R7000 that basically covers all interior corners of my house. It's located in the basement office along the far north side of my house. The extender is in the upstairs (ground floor) laundry room on the southeast side of the house (no second floor) and covers the outside area with ease. I've used both the regular extended bands and the FastLane feature (2.4 GHz to devices/5 GHz to Router) and both modes worked great. There is a small hit on the 2.4 GHz band signal emitting from the router (separate SSID) when using FastLane but not enough for concern. Like I said, the router is used for the interior and it has power to spare for that purpose while the extender covers the rest.

One of the other reviewers suggested downloading and looking over the manual to get an idea of what to expect when setting this up extender and it's a good idea. It's not difficult to setup mind you but it is a little different. One thing I would like to see added (next firmware update maybe *hint hint*) would be a way to save the settings when changing from FastLane to standard settings and visa versa. As it is now you have to recreate the SSID each time you switch. It's not difficult to do, just redundant. I also agree that when in FastLane both of the band LEDs should be lit to let you know all is working as it should.

I used an Android tablet with networking tools to check signal strength and other things and there were no issues of importance out of the ordinary. It simply works and puts out a hell of a signal! Definitely a must buy if you're looking for a powerful extender and FastLane is really a cool feature and not just a gimmick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing 2.4GHz speed, April 12, 2014
Aqualung (Teenage Wasteland) - See all my reviews
Purchased this one about a week ago. Paired it with an R7000 via 5GHz FastLane, line of sight, excellent 5GHz signal. Wired EX6200 clients have impressive(!) throughput. So far everything looks peachy. Unfortunately, however, the EX6200's 2.4GHz radio gives disappointing speeds, and I am not sure what the issue is. Possibly (a) subpar WiFi 2.4GHz drivers--that is, assuming that (b) this is not a hardware design issue, or that (c) my particular router's 2.4GHz radio is bad. Here is why I can pronounce myself so categorically about this: I did an experiment by, essentially, bypassing EX6200's 2.4GHz radio by using my trusty old Linksys E4200's radio instead (see experiment description in this thread: http://goo.gl/sffSsS). This setup (see diagram here: http://goo.gl/tuhBLX) gives amazing speeds. The only conclusion I can draw so far is that Ex6200's 2.4GHz radio is bad.

Update: Just for kicks, after a few days I switched back to using EX6200's 2.4GHz radio, and this time I got better speeds! Not really sure what's happening: it's as if the EX6200 2.4GHz radio had to be run for a while to reach nominal parameters (just like in the analog world--go figure!). Anyway, I have bumped up my rating to 4 stars thanks to this new development. I'll be switching back and forth between the two radios (EX6200 and E4200) for the next few months, hence attempt at diagnosing this over a longer time period.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars No power whatsoever!, June 4, 2014
I live on about a 1/4 acre lot with a swimming pool in back. I'm upgrading my pool controller to one that uses WiFi to communicate with some home automation applications so you can remote control it. My old WiFi in the house barely made it around the house, let alone out to the back yard. So I read the reviews and settled on this as THE ANSWER. Sadly, it wasn't. I set it up in my bedroom as a test point, a total of about fifty feet from the pool controller. Couldn't even SEE the network out there, let alone connect to it. In fact, it gave me LESS coverage in the house than the wimpy little $39.00 range extender I already had. So, I sent it back. Bought a Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range Access Point UAP-LR-US from Amazon. It cost only $89. WOW. What a difference. I now have SOLID coverage in the house and two bars on my iPhone at the pool equipment.
I think range extenders are probably NOT the best way to go in the first place (as opposed to wired access points). But THIS particular one has no power.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jun 5, 2014 4:56:45 PM PDT
Hi Michael,

We are sorry to hear about the bad experience and want to let you know that our support team is always here to help. If for some reason one of our products doesn't seem to be performing like it should-- please contact our support team at support.netgear.com.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

5.0 out of 5 stars 15 seconds SETUP!!! 100% SIGNAL IN ENTIRE HOUSE!!!, November 22, 2014
This is my 3rd wifi extender, I've been trying to get coverage in my house for years. my entire house is poured concrete 8" thick walls its literally a tomb, nothing penetrated this place. This device however I have 100% solid green bars throughout its unreal. This is also the easiest device I've ever set up in my life, I'm very tech savvy and I've had problems with units in the past. Let me break down the simplicity of this device, theres no need to plug in an ethernet cord, in fact there isn't even an input on the device anyways. All you do is take the unit out of the box plug it into an outlet anywhere in your house you want the extension and go on your smartphone or tablet and connect to the new wifi that pops up called NETGEAR as soon as you click on the connection it auto loads you to Netters setup wizard that guides you through the process of setting up your 2.4ghz connections as well as setting up your 5ghz connection, and also asks if you would like to rename your connections. After you do that step the unit will power cycle and BOOM your online at cable speeds. This is worth every penny don't bother with those outlet extenders that have no attennas and look cheap because they are, this thing looks like a 400.00 router its high quality and well made.

If you don't buy this extender you will regret it.................