Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: NETGEAR AC1600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R6250)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Capacity: AC1600|Change

VINE VOICEon May 23, 2013
Capacity: AC1600|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I counted all of the wired and wireless connections I have in my house and was surprised:

2 desktop pc's hardwired
1 Onkyo AVR
1 Wii
1 Xbox
1 wireless security system

Not all of those devices are putting demands on the router at one time that's still a lot of connections and I can only imagine that it will increase in the future (iToaster?).

Installation of this router was quick and easy. I gave it the same name and passcode as the router it replaced so the devices above wouldn't know that I did a switcharoo - that worked, they were all clueless.

Following the installation I hooked up a Canon printer to the router. I downloaded the print drivers to the PC's and the notebook and they all now share that printer. Netgear's documuntation says that I can make my printer work with the iPad and the iPhone but it's not clear how to do that. I'll update this review and share my experience once I figure it out.

I haven't had any problems with this router. The signal is strong throughout my home; I have a rather large ranch style home and the router is at one end - I have no signal problems at the far end of the house.
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Capacity: AC1600|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Netgear R6250 AC1600 router offers a complete set of features that should satisfy the demands of most SOHO, family, home theater/entertainment and gaming users. Using its default configuration, I had wired and wireless devices connected to it and sharing both Internet connectivity and the contents of a USB hard drive in less than 10 minutes. This router is at the higher end of the price range for similarly performing routers. At that price is should be nearly perfect in every respect. I encountered some minor issues with my user experience that keeps this from five stars. These don't detract from its basic data delivery and sharing functions.

PROS:
-Front panel indicators for power, Internet connectivity and wireless transmitter operation
-Pushbutton wireless on/off button on side panel
-Dual 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ operating bands (independently selectable) providing 802.11 ac/n/g/b operation (collectively)
-Home and guest network options (for both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ bands)
-USB 3.0 port with data sharing capability (via Windows networking settings or FTP)
-Relatively easy set-up with basic default security enabled by default
-Parental controls (by time or domain), port forwarding/prioritization (for gamers) and log/activity email notifications
-DLNA server services for streaming content from an attached USB storage device

CONS:
-Some quirks in user interface; did not consistently display assigned IP address of all connected devices (even after manually assigning them)
-No wired port connection/activity indicators in front panel. This may not be an issue for everybody, but I regularly use three or four wired devices, and like immediate visual feedback about which wired ports are connected.
-"Constant on" backlit Netgear logo. As far as I could tell, there is no way to turn this off. If you need total darkness in a room, this will be an issue for you.
-Wired port jacks are in a fairly confined space between the router base and its rear cover; users with large hands will notice this, especially when trying to remove the ethernet cables.

These are relatively minor items. While they keep this router from five stars, its overall functionality and features are excellent, even at what I would consider the upper end of consumer wireless router pricing.

This router recognized my (Comcast) Internet connection immediately. Its browser-based user interface immediately notified me that a firmware update was available. I accepted the prompt to proceed with the update, which took less than two minutes to complete. By default, this router initially connects wireless devices with WPA-PSK (AES) security using a factory configured SSID and password. 10 minutes after applying power to the router, I had the following devices connected:
-Windows 7 laptop (wired)
-Ubuntu desktop (wireless)
-Two Android phones (wireless)
-Kindle (wireless)
-USB 3.0 external hard drive (for DLNA media streaming and remote data access)
-A Sony TV

The packaging for this router claims "best wireless coverage for large homes". While unscientific, an examination of signal bar meters on connected wireless devices showed this router was at least as strong as the existing one that ran at the same time. At the farthest point inside my house from the router, its RSSI was slightly stronger than the older Netgear router. While "best" is a subjective claim, I experienced a consistently strong signal throughout the house from this router.

I'm a little picky about my network configuration, and always add hardware (MAC address) access controls to my network in addition to wireless encryption. The R6250 allowed me to easily capture the MAC addresses of attached devices and add them to the access control list. In addition, I like to reserve IP addresses for devices that connect regularly, and this router has easy to use options for doing this.

Users new to router/network configuration will find enough acceptable default security options to be quickly up and running. Experienced users should find sufficient options to fully exercise the control they need. Other than sometimes not identifying the assigned IP address of attached wireless devices and the lack of wired connection LED indicators, I had no issues with any of this router's functions. I did not test the available remote data functions which allow access to the external HDD via the Internet).

Not the cheapest SOHO/consumer router; but you can select with confidence.
on May 20, 2013
Capacity: AC1600|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Netgear R6250 Smart WiFi Router is advertised as a wireless router that will give wireless coverage to larger homes/areas (couldn't find any information on what the coverage area was for this router) and it will handle 10 or more connected WiFi devices. At the bottom of this review I have listed the product specs from the Netgear website as of the date of this review they are not listed in the product description of this product's page.

Device Aesthetics:
This router is small, with a non-nondetachable stand with a glossy finish. The router sits upright and doesn't have any wall mounting brackets. There are not a bunch of blinking lights, just four small image lights at the bottom in the front of the router, indicating whether the power, wireless, usb and internet is on, along with a lit Netgear logo in the center front. If needed, it would be easy to cover the image lights with tape. The WiFi on/off button and WPS button are located on the side, making them easy to reach. The USB, 4 lan ports, internet port, reset button, power button and ac power connector are located in the back at the bottom.

Setup:
Setting up the R6250 was very similar to setting up other Netgear routers. I was previously using a WNDR3800 and found the interface along with the setup near identical. I upgraded the firmware as soon as I connected to the R6250 before I customized it, to firmware version V1.0.0.70_1.0.70 with no problems. The documentation recommends that you keep the SSID that is factory assigned to this router but I always change mine and had no problem with doing so.

Wireless Speed:
As for wireless speed, I found the R6250 to be comparable to the WNDR3800. I currently don't have a 11ac device or adapter to test the speed this newest wireless standard so my connection speed is based on the 11n standard. Here are my test results with my laptop using a 11n adapter being in the area of my house with the worst coverage area:

Avg of 3 tests using Speedtest.net (note my Cable Interenet provider says I should get around 8mbps for download, 348k for upload):
WNDR3800:

Ping- 27 ms
Download- 7.47 mbps
Upload- 0.37 mbps

USB 3.0:
I didn't see much of a difference between read/write speeds between using a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0 device. Also, the router would not recognize my Toshiba Canvio 3.0 1TB hard drive however it's not on Netgear's list of supported devices for this router but neither is the Seagate Backup Plus or the Western Digital WD Elements that I have, and they were able to connect it.

Test results with a Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive using 100 MB:
Wireless connection:

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.606 MB/s [ 147.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 2.590 MB/s [ 632.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 0.827 MB/s [ 201.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 7.480 MB/s [ 1826.1 IOPS]

Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive using 100 MB:
Wireless connection:

Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 3.203 MB/s [ 782.0 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 0.498 MB/s [ 121.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 4.429 MB/s [ 1081.2 IOPS]

Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi:
I have my iPhone5 and FireHD setup to use both WiFi bands, 2.5GHz and 5GHz. On the WNDR3800, my iPhone5 had to be within 15 feet of the router or the signal for 5GHz was too week to pick up. After I setup the R6250, my iPhone5 switched to the 5GHz connection all the way to the back of house about 40 feet from the router. So, I have to say that the signal for 5GHz is signficantly more robust than my previous router.

Connected Devices:
Within my household there usually at least 12 or more devices connected simultaneously with an combinations of the following:
4 ereaders
1 wireless printer
2 wireless Foscam ip cameras
2 XBoxes

Connection Reliability:
So far, I have had the R6250 connected for several days with no drops. We have had Netflix streaming in two rooms and HuluPlus streaming in another room with three laptops connect along with the three iPhones, a wireless printer and the IP cams without much of a problem. However, I had to at one point downgrade streaming to medium on my FireHD while Netflix stayed at HD. To me, that's much better than how my WNDR3800 was handling the traffic. I was having to reboot the WNDR3800 several times a week up and back to back days.

My wireless IP cams stay connected to the R6250 and I'm able to view them both remotely without losing one of the cams, which was a problem for me with the WNDR3800.

Additional information:
- It supports Max 1300Mbps at 5GHz, and Max 300Mbps at 2.4GHz. In order to get close to the 1300Mbps speed you will need a 11ac device like the new Samsung Galaxy 4 or 11ac capable wireless adapter.
- Will handle dual band WiFi devices like the iPhone 5 and iPad
- Guest Network Access
- Has parental controls, web filtering
- Also supports DLNA

Overall, I'd definitely recommend the R6250 if your looking for a device with a wider wireless range and one that can handle a multitude of devices simultaneously connected. It's price point is in the same price range as the WNDR3800, offering the same features but with several enhancements over it, such as the extra coverage area especially in the 5GHz range, the handling of multiple devices and support for the new 11ac wireless standard.

------------------------------------------------
Product Specifications:
Package Contents:
- R6250 Smart WiFi Router
- Ethernet cable
- Quick install guide
- Power adapter, localized to country of sale

Physical Specifications:
- Dimensions: 191 x 198.5 x 65 mm (7.5 x 7.79 x 2.55 in)
- Weight: 417 g (.91 lb)

Support:
- Free phone technical support provided for 90 days from date of purchase

Technical Specifications:
- Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi--2.4 & 5 GHz
- WiFi Transmitters/Receivers (Tx/Rx)- 2x2 (2.4 GHz) + 3x3 (5 GHz)
- Powerful dual-core 800 MHz processor
- WiFi Boost with high-powered radio amplifiers
- Memory: 128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM
- Advanced Quality of Service (QoS)
- IPv6 support (Internet Protocol Version 6)

Standards:
- One (1) USB 3.0 port
- IEEE® 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz
- IEEE 802.11 a/n/ac 5.0 GHz
- Five (5) 10/100/1000 (1 WAN and 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology

System Requirements:
- Microsoft® Windows 7, 8, Vista®, XP®, 2000, Mac OS®, UNIX®, or Linux®
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 5.0, Firefox® 2.0, Safari® 1.4, or Google Chrome(tm) 11.0 browsers or higher
- Use laptop with 3x3 300 Mbps adapter like Centrino® 6300/5300, or 802.11ac adapter like NETGEAR A6200 for maximum performance

Security:
- WiFi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2--PSK)
- Double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
on May 14, 2015
Strong router for the price.
I have this hooked up to my Comcast 100 meg speeds. My four bedroom house is covered in wifi signal, even my lawn. I placed the router directly in the middle of the house and placed it high enough for reach.

The setup was fairly simple, very simple actually.

Each one of these routers has a funny yet unique default password, in which is printed on the bottom of the router, if you ever forget.

2.4 GHZ is very strong, of up to about 85 feet.
Alot of customizations to make the router perform the way you want.

I'm not an expert, but I'm not a novice either.

For the price, I can't complain.

The only issue I have with this router is the fact it feels very breakable. Small rubber feet mounts on the bottom. You can see the internal parts if you look at the bottom. Please keep your kids out of reach, and make sure no water will ever touch this or else it will be easily toast. Other than that, it's a solid router.

The 5 GHZ runs very strong too, I can get signal about forty feet away, through walls. Not bad at all.
on March 5, 2015
I was looking for a low profile AC router. I have tried other brands like Asus and D-Link. None of them came even close to this one.
The setup is super easy that you can even use your iphone or ipad to do the initial setup.
The web interface offers the same similar menu as previous Netgear routers.
If you have used Netgear routers before, configuration is not a problem for you. I literally completed the configuration and had the network up and running in 10-15 minutes. uPNP and port forwarding works as usual.
This is the AC router supporting both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands. I have more than 15 wireless devices connected to the router. I used the old SSID on the 2.4GHz for the legacy devices and move the new devices to 5GHz with new SSID. All legacy devices were able to connect to the router without reconfiguration.
The speed is definitely faster than my old Netgear WNR2000v2. I got ~ 60Mb/s downlink on 5GHz versus 50Mb/s running on 2.4GHz using WNR2000. I think it is the limit of my cable service.
The wireless coverage is pretty good. I don't get much speed reduction(5-10%) in my bedroom which is far away from where the router is. I used to get 50% reduction when I used the WNR2000v2.
It has Gigabit Ethernet interface. I can see the LED color changed on my cable modem. I have not tested the USB yet. So far the router is working like my old Netgear router: reliable and fast.
Just one little thing that I had to download the new FW file to my PC then upload to the router. The one-step webGUI upgrade did not go anywhere. However, it is not a big deal just you have to fire up the PC versus just use your iphone or ipad to do it.
on November 18, 2014
I bought this router in August 2013 and it worked fine until two months ago. The setup was easy and we were able to link a number of wifi devices (laptops, phones, tablets) to it. I specifically bought this router because of the 5G. There were occasional drops of devices and we also had to reboot the router periodically. Well about two months ago, the 5G signal disappears completely. No amount of troubleshooting helped. Of course the problems didn't start happening until after the one year warranty expired. And Netgear customer support is a joke....totally useless. I understood that the one year warranty had ended, but to provide me a standard stock response that wasn't remotely related to my question is ridiculous. Now it appears that the router is about to die completely and I'm back on the search for a router. Needless to say, my next router won't be a NETGEAR. Buyer beware.....it worked fine while it lasted, but at this price, a router should last a lot longer than one year.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 8, 2014
It died after 2 weeks (I should have bought it from Amazon instead of from the Big Box retailer that only has a 14-day return policy) and trying to get an RMA from Netgear was a horrible experience. The router failed and there were no LEDs at all on even though the Netgear logo was lit. After going through several diagnostic steps which included confirming that yes, there were no lit LEDs (she proposed that I send them a picture but even if I did, that still would not have gotten me an RMA!), the customer service rep insisted on troubleshooting the router further with a computer hard wired to it even though I don't have one (I have tablets and a laptop with only wifi). I asked why I couldn't just send it back and have them troubleshoot the problem but they have to "exhaust all troubleshooting steps" before I could get an RMA. Now I will need to borrow a computer just so I can go through more worthless steps and waste further time. Needless to say, I will never buy another Netgear product.
55 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Amazon Customer,

We apologize for the support experience you had, if your router doesn't have any display lights lit then it is not powering up at all and additional troubleshooting can't be performed. We would like to help you get this issue corrected and ask that you email us your contact information along with a linkto your review to amazon@netgear.com, and we will be happy to help you. Also can you please includethe case number you were given when you spoke with Support, so we can review the details of the call.

Regards,

Netgear Team
on January 2, 2016
I have a streaming service and the 2.4 ghz single band on my old router was not cutting it as I got buffering and interference on my TV due to other devices such as the microwave oven. I set up the Roku 3 for 5 ghz (had to get Roku support as it's not intuitive, had to unplug the Roku a couple of times), but saw a vastly improved signal, apps loaded fast and there was no buffering nor interference from other devices, plus the HD quality of the picture was above and beyond what I got before. I'm one kitchen wall away. The new router has what they call beam focusing, and it seems to work.

I'll take up knitting before I ever go back to cable. Enjoy paying for what I want instead of cable jamming down my throat useless stations.

The router is advertised as a large house router, but I didn't see any difference in signal strength from the old router at 2.4 ghz as far as my computers are concerned.

What I don't like is the bright NETGEAR logo on the front, it's not necessary, outside of that I recommend it.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 6, 2014
Total waste of Money! I bought this router about 6 months ago. It worked great at first, wireless signal is fantastic. Now, Everyday I have to constantly reboot the router due to the fact that it will just all of a sudden drop wireless connections to half of my devices. Once it reboots, it works for a little while, until again it will just suddenly drop the wireless again.

Now the devices it kick's off are a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, Apple iPhone 5s, and Chromecast... so you can see it is several manufacturer's. My Lenovo Carbon X1 stays connected as does my smart TV.

Netgear support is useless, they will not help after 90 Days even though the majority of people have this SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!!

DO NOT BUY THIS ROUTER OR ANYTHING FROM NETGEAR!!!!
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hey Perry,

The standard NETGEAR warranty is as follows:

1 year hardware warranty
90 days phone support
Email support is valid for warranty support period

This means that you are right in that you can no longer receive the basic phone support-- however you are still eligible for the advanced email support. Whenever you get a chance please email us with a copy and paste of your review and any case numbers that you received from support.

We apologize for any frustrations.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team
on June 4, 2014
I purchased this router (R6250) to replace my current Netgear router (WND3400) because I needed to extend the range to a distant bedroom. On this comparison chart ([...]) it labels WND3400's range as "Better" and R6250's as "Ultimate". I though this would be a simpler solution than an extender if it truly had better range. I plugged in the R6250 right next to my WND3400 and walked around my house with a WiFi signal app on my cell phone. In all locations the R6250 had the same (or lower) signal strength as the WND3400. I even changed channels and turned its direction to try and help improve it. I have uploaded a screen shoot of the WiFi signal tester to show this. JBNETGEAR86 is the older WND3400 and NETGEAR99 is this R6250 router. Apparently these "range" specifications are simply marketing crap! I have now ordered a range extender. By the way, don't try to use one Netgear router as a repeater to another as you are limited to WEP security only! Save yourself the time and just get a repeater.
review image