5.0 out of 5 stars gives fast internet and easy intstall
Pros: With windows 8.1 and Time Warner Cable the installation was very simple. Had to call Time Warner to make it recognize the new modem, once they recognized it, it worked perfectly and my internet is CONSIDERABLY faster right out of the box than the one Time Warner rented to me.

Cons: This isn't a fault of this product, but if you get your home phone and...
Published 4 months ago by ArmorAllUser

The manufacturer commented on the review below
2.0 out of 5 stars WiFi is SLOOWWWW
PROS: easy to set up; worked great wired
CONS: wifi speeds HORRIBLE!
OTHER: never tried to connect an external drive though that was the plan - saw other review, sounds like I dodged a bullet

Published 3 months ago by Geraldine

2.0 out of 5 stars WiFi is SLOOWWWW, May 10, 2014
This review is from: NETGEAR N300 WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3000) (Personal Computers)
PROS: easy to set up; worked great wired
CONS: wifi speeds HORRIBLE!

I bought this router because I was switching from AT&T to Time Warner and didn't want to rent the modem. Everything set up fine and it was a breeze to get connected, however, I ran some speed tests (...) before shutting down AT&T service - went to different parts of house and tested wifi and also tested both wired. The results were surprising - my AT&T which is lowest service you can get, consistently outperformed with about 70-80% better download and 30% better upload speeds. As I got closer to Netgear, ti did perform better but never outperformed AT&T at even the furthest location.

Then I wired them - AT&T router performed the same wired or wifi, while the Netgear doubled in download speed wired (same upload - like Time Warner caps it there). Since I was speed testing, thought I'd check my Verizon hot spot over cell (disconnected from the wifi's in the house) - it WAY outperformed the ALL the wifi in the house.

So, I'm going to research a new router with better wifi capabilities and return this product.

May 13 UPDATE: To solve my problem, I purchased a cable modem and router separately. Apparently, combos are notorious for poor WiFi, which since I don't have remotely the fastest internet service I didn't think would impact me. It did! I was OK to pay more if it helped and I am now getting WiFi speeds equal to wired using relatively cheap Netgear cable modem (CMD31T) and Netgear Nighthawk router (this is the important part).

Posted on May 12, 2014 6:50:27 AM PDT
Hello Geraldine,

If you would like our support team to give you a hand please let us know! You can reach them at support.netgear.com at any time-- they will gladly help figure out why the speeds are slower.

5.0 out of 5 stars gives fast internet and easy intstall, April 19, 2014

Cons: This isn't a fault of this product, but if you get your home phone and internet through Time Warner Cable you'll need to keep the Time Warner modem for the phone service and use this one for the internet. Pro is Time Warner no longer charges me for rental of their modem since the modem is only used for phone. Since both modems require their own coaxial cable, a coaxial splitter and a separate coaxial cord was needed for me to continue my current phone and internet service. When I purchased this I hadn't anticpated needing to keep the old modem or needing the extra coaxial cord and splitter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work as advertised, May 9, 2014
I bought this Modem/Router this week and tried to network an external hard drive through the USB port on the back as per the instruction manual. After four hours of playing with the settings I contacted Netgear Tech Support, who told me that it was not possible to network an external hard drive on this router, despite what it says in their marketing material, instruction manual and on the box! Tech Support told me that it would function "if" Netgear updates the firmware to enable this function, leaving open the option that this will never work as advertised. They have no estimate of when or even if this function will be fixed.

Posted on May 12, 2014 6:47:56 AM PDT
Hi Chimp,

We want to apologize for the frustrations and ask that if you have any more questions or concerns please email us. We can be found at amazon@netgear.com. Provide a copy and paste of your review and any case numbers that support gave you in the email.

1.0 out of 5 stars Use VPN? Look elsewhere., July 8, 2014
C3000 would not allow VPN. Everything else was fine, but all packets being sent back via my work VPN were being dropped. Tried everything. Got on the phone with NetGear (for a couple hours) who walked me through the things I had already tried. Still would not work.

I ended up ordering a modem/router from another manufacturer, which worked instantly. Returning the NetGear.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 11:44:24 AM PDT
Hey Jon,

If you have not yet returned the C3000 please email us at amazon@netgear.com-- we would like to help. Be sure to provide a copy and paste of your review and any case numbers that you received from support.

Our sincere apologies for any problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars goodbye rental fees, April 6, 2014
I'm not going to write a long review because I don't really know all technical lingo. I bought it so I could stop paying rental fees from cox cable. I will say that it works just as good as the one they had given me. it was very easy to install. I just had to call Cox and register it with them for the internet to work. I have a smart tv and desktop with wifi card. it's all working fine and that's all I needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars "If saving money is wrong, I don't want to be right!"--William Shatner, June 25, 2014
CodeMaster Talon (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Many people shopping for a modem are looking to save rental fees from their cable company. I am definitely one of them; fees vary but usually range from $8 to $12 a month to rent a modem. This review will address a few issues I haven't seen discussed much yet, and hopefully help out you guys looking to save a few bucks. Point by point:

--Comcast is the primary provider in my area, and please note THIS MODEM WILL NOT REPLACE THE RENTAL IF YOU HAVE THE "TRIPLE PLAY" DEAL. The reason is this modem does not support digital phone service, and Comcast has to run your phone through the modem, so you can run the WiFi separately if you want but you will still need their modem for the phone. I know to many of you that would be obvious, but I only realized it when I asked the cable installation guy about replacing the modem.

--Xfinity's rental modem is actually nicer and more substantial than this one (assuming you have their latest "X1" model). The NETGEAR Modem does feel kinda chintzy, and in my opinion will give you a smaller Wifi range (reviewers are all over the map about this). I didn't like the vagueness of the range description "for medium-sized homes". What does that mean, exactly? Medium-sized compared to what? We only use the internet in one pretty compact space, so it doesn't matter much to us, but if you have anything bigger than 1700 square feet (or the home is very spread-out) you might want to get a larger-range product.

--I did like the guest network access feature for a separate, secure connection for visitors. Comcast just started featuring their version of a secure guest network in my area this month.

--I do feel this modem is a tad over-priced: It will take at least a year of use before it pays for itself in saved rental fees, and it's not as nice as the rental most people get, from Comcast at least.

Keep in mind I'm not a techie, just an average user who needs things to be very straight-forward. I'm not qualified to answer technical questions on the product, but I hope the above basic information helps some of you out while you're shopping for your product.

I am deducting a star for the high price compared to the flimsiness and slightness of the modem itself. I may adjust this review as time goes by to reflect any quality issues.

For now:
GRADE: B

4.0 out of 5 stars Stop renting a modem!, June 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I recently went over my cable bill and discovered a lot of funny business. It turns out that they have been charging me rent for my modem. Rent! For the equipment needed to access the service I am paying for! The modem that brings the service into my house is not a part of the actual service. It costs $5.99 a month. EVERY month. It’s time to take out the man.

Anyway, I have Comcast cable. To switch this out I just put it next to the one I was switching out and plugged things in similar places. Electric, phone, that blue line, the hardwired, the router… They pretty much all need to go in to the same kinds of places from which they came.

Everything has been working normally for about three weeks now. I can’t record 4 programs at a time but I couldn’t before either. You would think Comcast wouldn’t want me to know about the services available to other customers. It’s bad enough I know what UVerse provides.

My internet is not as fast as it was, which I am hoping to figure out. But it is probably just Comcast messing around. It is amazing the stuff they waste my time on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid router at a fair price., June 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Who isn't tired of paying additional fees when it comes to their internet service? I still remember the first time I was paying for a "package deal" at a set price, as advertised, only to find out there was an extra 35% included to cover all kinds of stupid fees, including renting the router. Now that can be taken care of.

The router is incredibly easy to set up, especially if you already have one and just set them next to eachother. It's basically the same in terms of design next to the Xfinity one I have. A call to Comcast was needed for it to be recognized, and after that, everything was set. No problems with wifi, no issues with errors when going online. I will note that the speed seems to be a little slower than what we previously had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Set Up & Activation, April 19, 2014
I was paying for high speed internet but I had a old 2.0 modem and a 150N router. This is a 3.0 modem and a 300N router combined and my speed and bars are higher. I like to stream movies and there isn't any more buffering. Set up was easy after calling Comcast but I had to find set up instructions for my extender and then set up my wireless printer. It took some time but it all works and I don't have to pay $20 a month for rental fees so in 5 month's it will have paid for itself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid NETGEAR'S Technical Supprt, July 13, 2014
The wired connection worked right away, but the wireless function did not. I called the NETGEAR technical support 800 number for assistance and was twice told after an online diagnosis of a network corruption problem, which required a third party to fix. After spending almost 1- 1/2 hours on a Saturday talking to 2 different tech support types from India, I hung up and called Comcast tech support. The Comcast technician said he never heard of this type of problem and after less than 10 minutes took me through the steps of resetting and starting the wireless connection. Everything is working fine for the past 3 weeks.

FYI, I called the NETGEAR corporate office and completed their online customer service complaint form to describe their atrocious tech support agents, but no one would take responsibility for anything. NETGEAR's indifference to a customer complaint is an indictment of their corporate culture and makes me wonder if the equipment will last.

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:21:00 AM PDT
Hi Mappam,

We would like to investigate your case-- please email us at amazon@netgear.com. Provide any case numbers you received from support, a copy and paste of this review, and anything else that can help speed things up on our end.

NETGEAR Team

NETGEAR N300 WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3000)
$109.99 $99.96