Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Netgear N300 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3000)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Capacity: N300|Model: Cable Modem Router|Change

on July 20, 2014
I moved into a new place in LA recently and needed a reliable wireless cable modem & router that was compatible with Time Warner, as I work from home from the computer doing remote software configuration and hold a lot of shared-screen net meetings every day. Although some will advise you to get a separate modem and router rather than a combined unit, I decided to try this combo modem/router ("gateway"), and in 2 months of use, it's been very fast, reliable, and perfect for my needs.

For those who aren't sure what is meant by "dual band," it means that when you go to connect to a wireless network, you'll see two signals there coming from this router that you can connect to (using the default password provided on a little sticker on the unit itself). The 2.4 GHz band connection is slower and likely more congested with most of your neighbors who are probably using this band, but it has a longer wireless range than the the 5 GHz band, which is likely much less congested due to the need for both a 5 GHz capable router as well as a 5 GHz capable wireless card in your computer or device, and much faster (double for me), but with shorter range.

Unless/until you change them using the Genie software (covered below), they'll probably show up in the list as something like NETGEAR for the 2.4 band, and NETGEAR 5G if your wireless card is 5 GHz capable. It's usually a good idea to change these to something more unique so that potential hackers don't know what router/gateway you are using. On with my personal results . . .

I don't like wires, so I only connect wirelessly, and I can only tell you what my wireless connection results have been living in a 1000 sq. ft., 2 bedroom condo in the heart of Los Angeles where right now I'm seeing 16 other 2.4 GHz wireless networks and one other 5 GHz.

Range - While the range is shorter on the 5 GHz signal, for me, it only goes down 1 bar if I move to another room, but this is going to vary by your own floor plan, walls between rooms, how congested your area is with others connecting on the same band and channel, etc.

Speed - I just ran a test while writing up this review and got 104.14 Mbps download and 11.10 upload speeds on the 5 GHz band. I normally get anywhere from 80 Mbps or so at the most congested times of day, to a high of almost 110 Mbps on the 5 GHz band, and anywhere from 40 to 50 Mbps downloads speeds on the 2.4 band, and consistently 10 Mbps or so upload speed on both bands. Again, keep in mind that the speed you may get will depend on what speed you pay your Internet provider for, whether your wireless card is capable of receiving the 5.0 signal to get the faster speed this modem is capable of, network congestion, etc.

Oddly, the card in my newer computer isn't 5 Ghz capable, so I don't' see that network connection in my list when logging on from that computer, while the wireless card in my older computer is 5 GHz capable. Also, my old iPhone 4s isn't, while my iPad 4 is. But for me, getting speeds of around 50 Mbps pretty consistently on the 2.4 band in a congested area with 4 devices connected (not including my wireless printer) is far more than I need to do anything I do with my computers.

Reliability - What was most important to me was reliability with no dropped connections while I'm working, and so far it's been rock solid. In over 2 months, I've had a total of one time where it disconnected at about midnight for about 10 minutes and then connected on its own again without my needing to do anything. I suspect the drop was the cable company and not the unit. I have not had to reset the unit even once.

One more thing I'm pleased about is that my Brother MFC-7860DW wireless All-In-One printer (in a different room than this Netgear Gateway) has no issues scanning wirelessly with this. I was a little concerned because I temporarily lived in another condo for 2 months while waiting to move into this one, that place had a Netgear Gateway, and I couldn't get it to scan wirelessly, something I never had a problem with when I was using my DSL wireless modem from AT&T. This is important for me because I sometimes have to sign and scan documents to send, and it seems like everyone has moved to emailing scanned documents instead of faxing.

I found the Netgear Genie software intuitive and easy to use/navigate. To log in, simply type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar in your browser, or "routerlogin.net" (works the same). There, you'll see a place to type in a username and password. The default username "admin," and the default password is "password" (unless/until you change it), and you're in!

From there, you can do all sorts of things including seeing what channels your neighbors are on so that you can pick a less congested channel. I let the software choose the least congested channel for me (choose "Auto" for this). You can also change the default connection password from the one on the sticker on your Netgear unit if you want, see the status of your cable connection (good, fair, etc.), a network map showing the number of devices connected to the router/gateway, what they are (if you see something unfamiliar, someone might be on your network), set parental controls, and even enable a "Guest" wireless network that visiting guests can use to connect, separate from your own so that you don't have to give them your connection password.

One last thing. From the other reviews I've read, you can't connect to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) with this unit. If you don't know what that is, you probably don't need to care. Until recently, my work required using a VPN for certain things. Fortunately, this is no longer the case. Otherwise, this device wouldn't work for my needs.

I hope this review helps others who have either already purchased it, or might be considering it. Again, I can only give you my experience with this device after using it for 2 months. Your results may vary.
3333 comments| 563 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2014
I read all of the reviews, talked to my very techy son, and decided to get this modem/router despite all the problems posted by others regarding Comcast.

I read everything that came with the unit, and then downloaded the user manual (you can get it off the web by searching for CG3000Dv2 user manual or going to the Netgear site). I'm not particularly tech-savvy, and found the user manual to be somewhat less than user friendly since they wrote it as if you knew what they were talking about. In the end, I found that you really only need it to change your passwords (both to the gateway and for your wifi) to something a bit more memorable and provide a network name (SSIP) so you can identify it easily when trying to connect wireless devices (neither of these are mandatory changes, but I like my own network name and passwords). I'm sure others who are more techy than I am will find the user manual helpful for other things, too.

Having read everything I thought I could reasonably understand, I decided to go ahead and try to get it up and running. I really didn't want to call Comcast because of what many other reviewers complained about. One reviewer noted I could just get it activated using the internet, so I figured I'd do it that way. I followed the instructions in the quick installation guide, connected all the wires/cables, and turned it on. I had no problems connecting to the gateway as instructed, I then named my network and changed the password. Then came the time to get it activated so I could use the internet. Great idea to do that via the internet, but I had no internet connection on my computer because the modem/router wasn't activated yet (backwards logic here, I suppose). Went out on the net on my 4G device to the Comcast activation site. I put in my account number and then tried to put in my phone number so they could locate/verify my account, but the screen would freeze up every time and I'd eventually get an error page that said to call Comcast. This happened 3 times, at which point I decided to bite the bullet and call them.

When the rep answered, I said I needed a new modem/router provisioned. She verified my account information, and asked me for the MAC address. For those who are non-techy like me, that's the CM MAC number on the unit (not the cable MAC address or device MAC address that you see on the modem status screen when you log into the gateway). I gave that to her and the she asked how many lights were lit on the unit. I thought that was an odd question, but I told her there were 6 lights on and then she did what she needed to do. She never asked me for a make or model - just the MAC address. It took a couple minutes, with the lights on the unit giving the impression that it was rebooting, but it eventually took. About 2 minutes after it went thru the provisioning process, I had internet access and was able to connect wifi devices easily.

As far as performance, the unit appears to be working quite nicely. The range covers my entire (~2000 sq.ft.) condo. The speed is VERY FAST. There is a noticeable improvement in the amount of time it takes web pages load and I am able connect to VPN networks for work very quickly. I tested it on our smart TV and had no problems with buffering or pauses when streaming TV shows/movies (buffering/pausing and lost wifi signals were definitely problems we experienced quite frequently with the Comcast modem/router). If I had one wish, it would be that it would be nice to take it off the built-in stand and put it in a less conspicuous space/position (e.g., to lay it flat). Otherwise, no complaints. Good router/modem that wasn't too painful to install. Even better, I won't have to pay rental fees to Comcast for their less-than-wonderful equipment.
66 comments| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2014
I tried self-installing this with comcast and as suggested by a previous reviewer, Comcast/ Xfinity "tech-support" tried to tell me that this router was not supported and that it was not factory new because they couldn't identify the mac address, even though it clearly shows this device on their list of approved devices and the box is stamped with Xfinity.

A point of note however that hasn't been previously discussed, is that Comcast/ Xfinity wants you to tell them its make and model;
Make is Netgear
Model is CG3000Dv2

if you tell them "N450-100NAS" for the model, they will tell you the device isn't supported. I didn't find this out until the third-party installer was at the house. He was trying to register the device as the "100NAS" when I looked a little closer at the box and saw CG3000Dv2. Once he gave them that info, there were no more issues.
11 comment| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2014
Pros: With windows 8.1 and Time Warner Cable the installation was very simple. Had to call Time Warner to make it recognize the new modem, once they recognized it, it worked perfectly and my internet is CONSIDERABLY faster right out of the box than the one Time Warner rented to me.

Cons: This isn't a fault of this product, but if you get your home phone and internet through Time Warner Cable you'll need to keep the Time Warner modem for the phone service and use this one for the internet. Pro is Time Warner no longer charges me for rental of their modem since the modem is only used for phone. Since both modems require their own coaxial cable, a coaxial splitter and a separate coaxial cord was needed for me to continue my current phone and internet service. When I purchased this I hadn't anticpated needing to keep the old modem or needing the extra coaxial cord and splitter.
44 comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2014
I was paying $4.99 a month for the only version available, a low end modem, from the cable company here on Hawaii. Take that and tax, you're looking at $5.22 a month in a fee that also required me to purchase (or rent) a router. Boxes and wires everywhere.

This item, the Netgear N600 (C3700), is super. I no longer pay a fee to the cable co. and no longer need a router. It comes with a cable co. coaxial cable input, power cord plug, and two outputs to Ethernet cables. I am using both outputs, and also have a wireless desktop, wireless printer, 2 Wi-Fi Blu-Ray players, a Nexus 7, and an iPad Mini running off this modem. It's perfect. No longer a dropped signal, never slow regardless of units online, as was the case with the rental. I have Pandora music on all-the-time and no problems. Smooth sailing and you should research this modem further prior to buying so you know what you're getting... although I've already stated its positives and NO negatives to it. It pays for itself in around a year (in rental savings) and then you're completely free riding from increasing cable co. fees and taxes on a low-end, always something requiring "resetting" garbage modem connecting to a router. Enjoy!
55 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on May 10, 2014
PROS: easy to set up; worked great wired
CONS: wifi speeds HORRIBLE!
OTHER: never tried to connect an external drive though that was the plan - saw other review, sounds like I dodged a bullet

I bought this router because I was switching from AT&T to Time Warner and didn't want to rent the modem. Everything set up fine and it was a breeze to get connected, however, I ran some speed tests (...) before shutting down AT&T service - went to different parts of house and tested wifi and also tested both wired. The results were surprising - my AT&T which is lowest service you can get, consistently outperformed with about 70-80% better download and 30% better upload speeds. As I got closer to Netgear, ti did perform better but never outperformed AT&T at even the furthest location.

Then I wired them - AT&T router performed the same wired or wifi, while the Netgear doubled in download speed wired (same upload - like Time Warner caps it there). Since I was speed testing, thought I'd check my Verizon hot spot over cell (disconnected from the wifi's in the house) - it WAY outperformed the ALL the wifi in the house.

So, I'm going to research a new router with better wifi capabilities and return this product.

May 13 UPDATE: To solve my problem, I purchased a cable modem and router separately. Apparently, combos are notorious for poor WiFi, which since I don't have remotely the fastest internet service I didn't think would impact me. It did! I was OK to pay more if it helped and I am now getting WiFi speeds equal to wired using relatively cheap Netgear cable modem (CMD31T) and Netgear Nighthawk router (this is the important part).
2020 comments| 338 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2014
Love this. cable router/modem, I was using a ubee modem /router provided by time warner speeds were lacking so I purchased this and my speeds are always at or above what I am provisioned. Anytime you go with netgear products you will not be disappointed
on April 6, 2014
I'm not going to write a long review because I don't really know all technical lingo. I bought it so I could stop paying rental fees from cox cable. I will say that it works just as good as the one they had given me. it was very easy to install. I just had to call Cox and register it with them for the internet to work. I have a smart tv and desktop with wifi card. it's all working fine and that's all I needed.
11 comment| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2014
*Update* It appears that is now listed as an approved device with Xfinity -March 2014

Modem and wireless perform well (2 weeks in)... However, if you have Xfinity and you want it activated on their service (as of 1-10-2014) expect resistance getting it approved (Sure "Xfinity is plastered on the front of the box it came in)... The install techs didn't have the modem listed with their devices and advised me to rent theirs or exchange it, they also called the techs and they swear it's not approved and to just exchange it. I finally just told them to leave. I called in to get it activated, they provisioned it and then after all that they decided to tell me it's not approved and to return it... I continued to argue with them, they then told me to bring it to their store to get me off the line. I hung up, waited for the headspin to subside and just decided to restart my modem. Guess what happens... It works perfectly.

TL, DR: Just keep calling the xfinity to activate this modem as a "CG3000DV2" till someone sends a signal to it... Its going to work, even if they swear up and down it is not approved... Their Provisioning/Engineering teams and CSR "techs" use tin cans and a string to communicate with each other!

Added model# I used to activate it "CG3000DV2"

3/22/2014- Device is dependable and quick, no regrets with Netgear. Can't speak much for actual wifi range. I've probably wandered 60' max w/ my laptop in a 1 story, well within range.
77 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Capacity: N300|Model: Cable Modem Router|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Many people shopping for a modem are looking to save rental fees from their cable company. I am definitely one of them; fees vary but usually range from $8 to $12 a month to rent a modem. This review will address a few issues I haven't seen discussed much yet, and hopefully help out you guys looking to save a few bucks. Point by point:

--Comcast is the primary provider in my area, and please note THIS MODEM WILL NOT REPLACE THE RENTAL IF YOU HAVE THE "TRIPLE PLAY" DEAL. The reason is this modem does not support digital phone service, and Comcast has to run your phone through the modem, so you can run the WiFi separately if you want but you will still need their modem for the phone. I know to many of you that would be obvious, but I only realized it when I asked the cable installation guy about replacing the modem.

--Xfinity's rental modem is actually nicer and more substantial than this one (assuming you have their latest "X1" model). The NETGEAR Modem does feel kinda chintzy, and in my opinion will give you a smaller Wifi range (reviewers are all over the map about this). I didn't like the vagueness of the range description "for medium-sized homes". What does that mean, exactly? Medium-sized compared to what? We only use the internet in one pretty compact space, so it doesn't matter much to us, but if you have anything bigger than 1700 square feet (or the home is very spread-out) you might want to get a larger-range product.

--I did like the guest network access feature for a separate, secure connection for visitors. Comcast just started featuring their version of a secure guest network in my area this month.

--I do feel this modem is a tad over-priced: It will take at least a year of use before it pays for itself in saved rental fees, and it's not as nice as the rental most people get, from Comcast at least.

Keep in mind I'm not a techie, just an average user who needs things to be very straight-forward. I'm not qualified to answer technical questions on the product, but I hope the above basic information helps some of you out while you're shopping for your product.

I am deducting a star for the high price compared to the flimsiness and slightness of the modem itself. I may adjust this review as time goes by to reflect any quality issues.

For now:
GRADE: B
22 comments| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse