Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Baby Sale

on May 10, 2014
PROS: easy to set up; worked great wired
CONS: wifi speeds HORRIBLE!
OTHER: never tried to connect an external drive though that was the plan - saw other review, sounds like I dodged a bullet

I bought this router because I was switching from AT&T to Time Warner and didn't want to rent the modem. Everything set up fine and it was a breeze to get connected, however, I ran some speed tests (...) before shutting down AT&T service - went to different parts of house and tested wifi and also tested both wired. The results were surprising - my AT&T which is lowest service you can get, consistently outperformed with about 70-80% better download and 30% better upload speeds. As I got closer to Netgear, ti did perform better but never outperformed AT&T at even the furthest location.

Then I wired them - AT&T router performed the same wired or wifi, while the Netgear doubled in download speed wired (same upload - like Time Warner caps it there). Since I was speed testing, thought I'd check my Verizon hot spot over cell (disconnected from the wifi's in the house) - it WAY outperformed the ALL the wifi in the house.

So, I'm going to research a new router with better wifi capabilities and return this product.

May 13 UPDATE: To solve my problem, I purchased a cable modem and router separately. Apparently, combos are notorious for poor WiFi, which since I don't have remotely the fastest internet service I didn't think would impact me. It did! I was OK to pay more if it helped and I am now getting WiFi speeds equal to wired using relatively cheap Netgear cable modem (CMD31T) and Netgear Nighthawk router (this is the important part).
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hello Geraldine,

If you would like our support team to give you a hand please let us know! You can reach them at support.netgear.com at any time-- they will gladly help figure out why the speeds are slower.

on April 19, 2014
Pros: With windows 8.1 and Time Warner Cable the installation was very simple. Had to call Time Warner to make it recognize the new modem, once they recognized it, it worked perfectly and my internet is CONSIDERABLY faster right out of the box than the one Time Warner rented to me.

Cons: This isn't a fault of this product, but if you get your home phone and internet through Time Warner Cable you'll need to keep the Time Warner modem for the phone service and use this one for the internet. Pro is Time Warner no longer charges me for rental of their modem since the modem is only used for phone. Since both modems require their own coaxial cable, a coaxial splitter and a separate coaxial cord was needed for me to continue my current phone and internet service. When I purchased this I hadn't anticpated needing to keep the old modem or needing the extra coaxial cord and splitter.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Many people shopping for a modem are looking to save rental fees from their cable company. I am definitely one of them; fees vary but usually range from $8 to $12 a month to rent a modem. This review will address a few issues I haven't seen discussed much yet, and hopefully help out you guys looking to save a few bucks. Point by point:

--Comcast is the primary provider in my area, and please note THIS MODEM WILL NOT REPLACE THE RENTAL IF YOU HAVE THE "TRIPLE PLAY" DEAL. The reason is this modem does not support digital phone service, and Comcast has to run your phone through the modem, so you can run the WiFi separately if you want but you will still need their modem for the phone. I know to many of you that would be obvious, but I only realized it when I asked the cable installation guy about replacing the modem.

--Xfinity's rental modem is actually nicer and more substantial than this one (assuming you have their latest "X1" model). The NETGEAR Modem does feel kinda chintzy, and in my opinion will give you a smaller Wifi range (reviewers are all over the map about this). I didn't like the vagueness of the range description "for medium-sized homes". What does that mean, exactly? Medium-sized compared to what? We only use the internet in one pretty compact space, so it doesn't matter much to us, but if you have anything bigger than 1700 square feet (or the home is very spread-out) you might want to get a larger-range product.

--I did like the guest network access feature for a separate, secure connection for visitors. Comcast just started featuring their version of a secure guest network in my area this month.

--I do feel this modem is a tad over-priced: It will take at least a year of use before it pays for itself in saved rental fees, and it's not as nice as the rental most people get, from Comcast at least.

Keep in mind I'm not a techie, just an average user who needs things to be very straight-forward. I'm not qualified to answer technical questions on the product, but I hope the above basic information helps some of you out while you're shopping for your product.

I am deducting a star for the high price compared to the flimsiness and slightness of the modem itself. I may adjust this review as time goes by to reflect any quality issues.

For now:
GRADE: B
on April 6, 2014
I'm not going to write a long review because I don't really know all technical lingo. I bought it so I could stop paying rental fees from cox cable. I will say that it works just as good as the one they had given me. it was very easy to install. I just had to call Cox and register it with them for the internet to work. I have a smart tv and desktop with wifi card. it's all working fine and that's all I needed.
on May 9, 2014
I bought this Modem/Router this week and tried to network an external hard drive through the USB port on the back as per the instruction manual. After four hours of playing with the settings I contacted Netgear Tech Support, who told me that it was not possible to network an external hard drive on this router, despite what it says in their marketing material, instruction manual and on the box! Tech Support told me that it would function "if" Netgear updates the firmware to enable this function, leaving open the option that this will never work as advertised. They have no estimate of when or even if this function will be fixed.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi Chimp,

We want to apologize for the frustrations and ask that if you have any more questions or concerns please email us. We can be found at amazon@netgear.com. Provide a copy and paste of your review and any case numbers that support gave you in the email.

on July 7, 2014
So far, so good. Much better than the modem that was provided by Time Warner. I had to constantly keep resetting the TW modem. This C3000 is faster, and so far, very reliable, even with a bunch of devices feeding off of it. The set up was very easy, and activating it through TW was quick and painless.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I recently went over my cable bill and discovered a lot of funny business. It turns out that they have been charging me rent for my modem. Rent! For the equipment needed to access the service I am paying for! The modem that brings the service into my house is not a part of the actual service. It costs $5.99 a month. EVERY month. It’s time to take out the man.

Anyway, I have Comcast cable. To switch this out I just put it next to the one I was switching out and plugged things in similar places. Electric, phone, that blue line, the hardwired, the router… They pretty much all need to go in to the same kinds of places from which they came.

Everything has been working normally for about three weeks now. I can’t record 4 programs at a time but I couldn’t before either. You would think Comcast wouldn’t want me to know about the services available to other customers. It’s bad enough I know what UVerse provides.

My internet is not as fast as it was, which I am hoping to figure out. But it is probably just Comcast messing around. It is amazing the stuff they waste my time on.
on January 27, 2015
This thing has been nothing but problems for me.

Cox finally became available in my area and I signed up for service as quickly as I could. After poring over specs for a day, I bought this modem because it exceeded what I needed for my speed (100 mbps down) and would accommodate all the devices we run (2 desktops plugged in via ethernet, 2 tablets, 3 cell phones, 2 laptops).

When I hooked up my service, it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it just stopped working. It appeared to be connected, all the lights were on, it just stopped working altogether. I unplugged it for a minute, plugged it back in, as soon as it was finished loading, it worked fine again. So I forgot about it until it happened again the next day. This continued on for a few days and became more frequent each day. After I had to reset it 3 times before noon one day, I contacted their support via chat. They walked me through changing a battery of settings and asked that I reset the unit once more. Everything seemed to work again for about a day, then it happened again. So I contacted their support via chat again. Once more I was walked through changing a whole battery of settings (different this time) and it seemed to work again for another day or two and then stopped. I resigned myself at this point to resetting it when it acted up and I lived with it for a while.

A few months later, my internet just stopped. Resetting the unit made no difference, the Cox people said they were able to see my modem and the signal looked fine but I still didn't have internet. Cox came out to check my cable box and hookups, everything looked fine and they were able to get everything up and running using their own equipment. I was finally able to get the (still broken) router working again, but Cox was convinced it was a problem and said I should contact Netgear for a replacement. I contacted Netgear again, they asked me to change another battery of settings, which made no difference, then finally set up an RMA. I had to pay $29.95 to get a replacement unit out to me overnight (I didn't want to wait a week for ground shipping, which would have been $15), and when it arrived, it wouldn't lock on to an upstream signal. Cox again came out and checked everything out and confirmed there was something wrong with the replacement unit I was sent. I emailed Netgear to let them know, they wanted me to send the original device back before they would send me another replacement, which was completely unfeasible, I needed to have internet service for work, the replacement they sent did not work AT ALL. Finally they backed down and overnighted another replacement at their cost.

The second replacement device also will not lock on to an upstream signal, it will provide internet to a wired connection at a speed of no more than 30 mbps, but as soon as a wireless device connects to it, the internet connection drops. Currently waiting to see what they want to do now.

Netgear's customer service will have you jump through a million hoops to prove their unit does not work, so if you have a problem, get your cable provider to test your line with a different device or borrow one from a friend so you have something to fall back on when they say their product is not the problem. Otherwise they will not replace your unit and you'll be stuck with garbage. If they DO replace your unit, test it RIGHT AWAY. If it doesn't work properly, tell them immediately or they won't believe you. Take screenshots of your speedtest.net results if it's a speed issue and send them with your email.

Lesson learned: as soon as I can replace this with something from a different company, I will. Too much hassle to get a product that does the one simple task it's made for.
Hi ThatJunoGirl,

We're very appreciative of your patience so far and for willing to work with support. The problems you've seen thus far are very concerning to us, and we want to look into your support case to see how we can help directly.

Please get in touch with us at amazon@netgear.com, and provide the case numbers you have received from support. We'll be in contact directly.

Thanks again and we look forward to working with you!

on August 2, 2014
I have Performance Internet service only from Comcast, and this modem works perfectly. I've had no issues attaching my computer, laptop, or smartphone on the wifi. I also did a self install and had no issues. For me, this investment will pay off in less than a year. I'd definitely recommend it, especially since Time Warner Cable also lists this an acceptable modem for their internet service. Double check for your situation, of course.
on July 9, 2014
Very solid product. Easy setup with my Time Warner Cable internet. I get internet everywhere in my 900+ square foot apartment.