Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on February 21, 2014
I read all of the reviews, talked to my very techy son, and decided to get this modem/router despite all the problems posted by others regarding Comcast.

I read everything that came with the unit, and then downloaded the user manual (you can get it off the web by searching for CG3000Dv2 user manual or going to the Netgear site). I'm not particularly tech-savvy, and found the user manual to be somewhat less than user friendly since they wrote it as if you knew what they were talking about. In the end, I found that you really only need it to change your passwords (both to the gateway and for your wifi) to something a bit more memorable and provide a network name (SSIP) so you can identify it easily when trying to connect wireless devices (neither of these are mandatory changes, but I like my own network name and passwords). I'm sure others who are more techy than I am will find the user manual helpful for other things, too.

Having read everything I thought I could reasonably understand, I decided to go ahead and try to get it up and running. I really didn't want to call Comcast because of what many other reviewers complained about. One reviewer noted I could just get it activated using the internet, so I figured I'd do it that way. I followed the instructions in the quick installation guide, connected all the wires/cables, and turned it on. I had no problems connecting to the gateway as instructed, I then named my network and changed the password. Then came the time to get it activated so I could use the internet. Great idea to do that via the internet, but I had no internet connection on my computer because the modem/router wasn't activated yet (backwards logic here, I suppose). Went out on the net on my 4G device to the Comcast activation site. I put in my account number and then tried to put in my phone number so they could locate/verify my account, but the screen would freeze up every time and I'd eventually get an error page that said to call Comcast. This happened 3 times, at which point I decided to bite the bullet and call them.

When the rep answered, I said I needed a new modem/router provisioned. She verified my account information, and asked me for the MAC address. For those who are non-techy like me, that's the CM MAC number on the unit (not the cable MAC address or device MAC address that you see on the modem status screen when you log into the gateway). I gave that to her and the she asked how many lights were lit on the unit. I thought that was an odd question, but I told her there were 6 lights on and then she did what she needed to do. She never asked me for a make or model - just the MAC address. It took a couple minutes, with the lights on the unit giving the impression that it was rebooting, but it eventually took. About 2 minutes after it went thru the provisioning process, I had internet access and was able to connect wifi devices easily.

As far as performance, the unit appears to be working quite nicely. The range covers my entire (~2000 sq.ft.) condo. The speed is VERY FAST. There is a noticeable improvement in the amount of time it takes web pages load and I am able connect to VPN networks for work very quickly. I tested it on our smart TV and had no problems with buffering or pauses when streaming TV shows/movies (buffering/pausing and lost wifi signals were definitely problems we experienced quite frequently with the Comcast modem/router). If I had one wish, it would be that it would be nice to take it off the built-in stand and put it in a less conspicuous space/position (e.g., to lay it flat). Otherwise, no complaints. Good router/modem that wasn't too painful to install. Even better, I won't have to pay rental fees to Comcast for their less-than-wonderful equipment.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2014
I tried self-installing this with comcast and as suggested by a previous reviewer, Comcast/ Xfinity "tech-support" tried to tell me that this router was not supported and that it was not factory new because they couldn't identify the mac address, even though it clearly shows this device on their list of approved devices and the box is stamped with Xfinity.

A point of note however that hasn't been previously discussed, is that Comcast/ Xfinity wants you to tell them its make and model;
Make is Netgear
Model is CG3000Dv2

if you tell them "N450-100NAS" for the model, they will tell you the device isn't supported. I didn't find this out until the third-party installer was at the house. He was trying to register the device as the "100NAS" when I looked a little closer at the box and saw CG3000Dv2. Once he gave them that info, there were no more issues.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2014
*Update* It appears that is now listed as an approved device with Xfinity -March 2014

Modem and wireless perform well (2 weeks in)... However, if you have Xfinity and you want it activated on their service (as of 1-10-2014) expect resistance getting it approved (Sure "Xfinity is plastered on the front of the box it came in)... The install techs didn't have the modem listed with their devices and advised me to rent theirs or exchange it, they also called the techs and they swear it's not approved and to just exchange it. I finally just told them to leave. I called in to get it activated, they provisioned it and then after all that they decided to tell me it's not approved and to return it... I continued to argue with them, they then told me to bring it to their store to get me off the line. I hung up, waited for the headspin to subside and just decided to restart my modem. Guess what happens... It works perfectly.

TL, DR: Just keep calling the xfinity to activate this modem as a "CG3000DV2" till someone sends a signal to it... Its going to work, even if they swear up and down it is not approved... Their Provisioning/Engineering teams and CSR "techs" use tin cans and a string to communicate with each other!

Added model# I used to activate it "CG3000DV2"

3/22/2014- Device is dependable and quick, no regrets with Netgear. Can't speak much for actual wifi range. I've probably wandered 60' max w/ my laptop in a 1 story, well within range.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2014
Love this. cable router/modem, I was using a ubee modem /router provided by time warner speeds were lacking so I purchased this and my speeds are always at or above what I am provisioned. Anytime you go with netgear products you will not be disappointed
on March 14, 2014
After initially hooking up this modem/router, the wired (laptop connected via ethernet cable) speed was 57Mbts, but the wireless speed was ~4Mbts.

I called Netgear's technical support and the first representative wasn't able to resolve my issue and asked me to call back in two hours. The next technician was able to help me set some more advanced features (power settings and channel to be specific) to get the wireless speed to almost match the wired speed.

So in the end, this unit is working but it needed more than the default and obvious settings.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on May 10, 2014
*** Update 11/1/2014 This will be the last update. Netgear now states this on their website;

Please note that there is no option in the web interface to upgrade the firmware manually. Firmware upgrades are pushed down by the ISP.

My ISP (Comcast) has not seen fit to update my firmware with a version supporting the features I originally mentioned but did summarily lock me out of what little control I had over the device. The USB sharing works, kinda. I cannot administrate it in anyway in terms of security or network segmentation. It's plug and pray.

Do not buy this or any Netgear device. You'll be getting a black box you cannot control and only hope works as you wish. How is that different from renting a modem?

Update 8/182014 Still no firmware update.

***Update 6/16/14 one month later. In spite of Netgear's efforts to ensure they respond to any negative reviews (see comments), they have yet to post a firmware revision as promised addressing these concerns. Perhaps they should a bit less time on marketing and a bit more on product development.***

I have been doing networking both on a personal and professional basis for some 20 years. I remember when Bay Networks started putting out these small purple boxes as personal network hubs that were light years better than anything you could get for a small office or home network at the time.

Since the spin off and IPO they have changed quite a bit with the landscape of the market. Perhaps that reality contributes to this problem, perhaps it's a one-off. All I can say is I am extremely disappointed in this purchase.

As the product listing clearly states this item is to contain 2 features, both of which were part of my decision to purchase this over competing products with like for like features;

1. Guest WiFi network.
2. USB sharing.

I was disappointed to see no guest network on first configuring the device. I am out right amazed Netgear would release this product to market without USB sharing being supported. Other reviews claim to have some luck with it, but in my case a tech on Netgear's live chat system told me this feature is not supported at this time.

me: yes, so if we can get to the problem. I note the documentation says web interface control of the sharing function is not fully implemented
Johnpaul Delatorre: Thank you for patiently waiting Mr. (me).
Johnpaul Delatorre: As I checked, the USB port of the device does not have a function yet as of now. It is created for future use.
me: netgear marketied a product advertising a feature they have not implemented?
me: I bought this router for this reason
Johnpaul Delatorre: I do apologize for that.

It's hard to accept that a company's reputation I have recommended and defended to numerous family and customers over the years would consciously find marketing a product clearly not ready for release acceptable or ethical. Given this experience I will dubiously evaluate any claims of a Netgear device before any future purchase. I would recommend you do the same.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Sharon,

We thank you for being a longtime NETGEAR customer and understand your frustration. We want to help directly. The guest network is a planned feature for a future firmware release, but USB sharing should be supported.

Please get in touch with us at your earliest convenience at, and we'll work with you to help you get the best out of your N450!

on February 25, 2014
TWC Modem ARRIS DG860 gave me 25 - 30 FT. I called them 3 times over a 2 month period and each time they said it was working find. I replaced it with the N450 - now it covers about 100ft. out and on 2 floors 6,000 sp ft. It is almost twice the speed and works GREAT. It took about 30 mins on the phone with TWC to install.
on January 23, 2014
This a high quality product from netgear, wifi range is great, easy setup, gigabit ports, streaming to smart tv with no buffering. I will highly recommend this product to anybody looking to buy their own cable modem.
on February 24, 2014
I have a 2200sq ft 2 level home and with the N450 I did not need a range extender. Easy setup and works great. So far so good.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 20, 2014
I bought the Netgear N450 to replace the Netgear WNDR3400 Router I was using with the Time Warner Cable modem. Since TWC have started charging for the use of their modem, I wanted to go with a modem/router combination. I chose the Netgear N450. I was excited to receive it so fast from Amazon and I immediately set it up and had it provisioned by TWC. It seemed to work well, or so I thought. As I was setting it up, I found that this modem/router does not have Guest Network Access, although is advertises that it does on in the Product Description ( This feature is available on my OLD Netgear router. I also found out that the USB ReadySHARE is 2.0 as opposed to 3.0 like my OLD Netgear router. When you connect to the USB ReadySHARE Access, instead of the folder showing ReadySHARE like my OLD Netgear 3400, is shows BRCM-LVG. I don't know what the hell that's supposed to mean, and you can't rename it. This modem/router does not allow the user to access files remotely via http or ftp. I was able to do that on my OLD Netgear router.

Now to my major problems with this router.

First. On the external hard drive I had connected to the ReadySHARE, there were at least two large files that was causing problems. One of the files was a Sony backup file with a file size of 314gb. When I tried to access the file through ReadySHARE, the file showed 0kb (empty). There was a second large file for my Toshiba image backup with a file size of 27gb. Access it through ReadySHARE it showed 1.9gb. Neither of these files were accessible. To make sure I was not in error, I reconnected the OLD Netgear 3400 and when I accessed the files, they showed the correct file sizes and I was able to open them.

Second. I have 4 items connected to the Ethernet ports in the back of the N450 modem/router. My Sony Vaio laptop to port 1, my Toshiba laptop to port 2, my Sony Bravia to port 3, and my home security camera DVR to port 4. When I look at the lights on the front of the unit, they show correctly. But when I go to the Netgear Gateway Advanced Settings under MAC Filtering, all the port connections are reversed. For example, the physical port 1 shows as port 4, port 2 as port 3, port 3 as port 2, and port 4 as port 1.

Now I got on the phone with tech support and was connected to a guy who has an accent so thick that I found myself constantly asking him to repeat himself. Their call center must be in India. Anyway, we started going over the problems and he was unable to assist me much. He gave me a case number _ _ _ _ _ 938 and placed me on hold. I waited on hold for about 25 minutes until I got tired and hung up. He called me back within a minute and told me he was going to connect me with someone up the chain and I was then connected to a female who was easier to communicate with and we proceeded to run through my modem/router situation. She had me download some program whereby she was able to access my computer remotely. She was unable to do anything to rectify the problems, so she went to the Netgear site to download the firmware for that model. Once she downloaded the firmware file, she was unable to load the file into the unit because there was NO avenue within the Netgear Gateway Settings page by which to do so. On my OLD Netgear WNDR3400, whenever I opened the Netgear Gageway Settings page, it would automatically start searching for Firmware updates. I never had to go to the Netgear Support page to look for Firmware updates. The lady from Tech Support advised me to return this modem/router. I am sending it back to Amazon. My OLD Netgear router is about three years and it turned out to be a lot better and more useful that this newer N450 combo that I am returning. I'll still return the modem to TWC. I will just hold on to my OLD WNDR3400 router and buy a modem from some place else. I guess having a modem/router combo with ReadySHARE wasn't meant to happen.

Tech support told me that my experience is unusual. Maybe Netgear accidentally boxed up a prototype or test unit that was never supposed to be sold. I still can't figure out what the BRCM-LVG nomenclature on the ReadySHARE folder is supposed to mean.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi A.G.,

We'd like to follow up on your support case, and thank you for your patience so far. What happened with your N450 is unacceptable to us and we want to ensure all our customers are receiving the best service and devices that work well. This modem/router combo should work well with TWC, although you are correct on the guest network, which is a planned feature for a future firmware release.

Please get in touch with us at with a copy/paste of this review and your support case numbers, if you have the time, and we'll investigate the support call and work with you on any further feedback or questions you have.

We thank you for trying NETGEAR and hope to earn your business in the future.