Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Model: Unmanaged|Capacity: 8 Port|Change

on August 8, 2010
I am unbelievably frustrated by this product. I had this connected to a firewall to connect two computers into a subnet. Every 5 to 15 minutes the switch simply disconnects everything attached to it. At the switch all lights except power are turned off. The only way to recover the network is to power the switch off and on, and then the problem repeats again in 5 to 15 minutes.

I tried removing each computer from the switch to see if that changed the result and it did not. I then tried to swap a brand-new-in-box GS108 in as a substitute and I get the identical result. So the defect is in the unit's firmware or in its design, but such a gross defect from a major network company is totally unacceptable.

Do not entrust this switch to any mission critical task. I had to come into the office at 1am on Sunday night to debug this and find a reliable temporary substitute.
on June 25, 2008
Just like my trusty old FS116 I bought here on Amazon years ago and gave a glowing review to, this GS108 is cut from the same cloth. It features a nice, sturdy metal casing that doesn't creak or flex at all.

Like higher-end enterprise equipment, the LEDs are on the jacks so you can see which connection is what speed (or not working) without having to constantly turn the device around as with lower-end devices where the LEDs are on the front and the jacks on the rear. This makes debugging a bad cable much easier!

Other than that, I just plugged these in (I own two of them) and they work perfectly to provide gigabit connectivity throughout my house, eventually terminating at an Apple Airport Extreme router providing the wireless 802.11n. No issue with interoperability or anything at all -- just like a switch should be!
on May 21, 2013
I have five of these, the oldest purchased about six years ago. Never had a problem. Just hook it up and forget about it.
on February 6, 2007
Metal case - LEDs next to jacks to see activity - compact transformer - good product. Purchased 10 - would buy again.
on June 18, 2014
does exactly what it says it will do. I personally have not seen any loss in data transfer. I definitely recommend this if you are trying to power up more units, whether that be IP cameras or computers.
on January 2, 2014
The product has functioned as advertised, however I am very unhappy that I never did receive the rebate advertised. I have been chatting with the rebate company and then with Netgear since August and still have not received the $15 rebate that this purchase was eligible for.
on April 18, 2007
I placed one of these in a linux network and no configuration was required. All the client gigabit NICs recognized it and switched to 1000 base T. You can use xover or straight through cabling, or mixed, and you can plug the firewall, or modem into any rj45 socket on the unit. I can't even imagine how anyone could fail with this switch. It is fast, and my transfer speeds within the network are about 10 times what they were. Every client needs a gigabit NIC for gigabit to work. This switch is nearly foolproof with Linux, and handles all the traffic you can thrown at it. Real world speeds are 60-70 MegaBytes / second (70 MegaBytes / second = 0.7 GigaBits / second). This unit is like a breath of fresh air after using 100 base T for my whole life.
on September 19, 2011
Works fine. Rugged construction, takes up little space. I would prefer a better indication of operating speeds: There are two green LEDs for each port. Left or right means 10 or 100 Mbps. Both are on for 1000. Since the ports are very close together, from any distance away it is difficult to tell whether one port is at 1000, or two ports are at a slower speed. They could have used different colors for the speeds, but I guess that would cost more??
Remember to take care with your cables. Gig-ethernet requires Cat-5e cable. Regular Cat-5 will only get you 100Mbps. (This is not a product fault. It is true of all ethernet equipment.) It took me a while to notice that I needed a new cable on one of my ports, due to the LED congestion.
on June 26, 2008
I have been using a Netgear 24-port Gigabit switch ( Netgear JGS524NA ProSafe 24-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch ) for about two years, and added this one in June 2008. Never had any problems, and as others have pointed out, pretty much plug-n-play; with auto uplink and small but readable lights, these are hassle free unmanaged switches. Our network consists of Macs, Linux, Windoze, and NAS boxes -- all seem to play well. I am also a big fan of the metal enclosures as they add a degree of sturdiness that plastic units can't muster. I have used these for portable temporary net expansion and the metal has made a difference in certain mishaps between having a switch and throwing away a broken switch.
on October 16, 2013
Simple compact gigabyte switch that has lights. I have had no issues with this item. I'll try to update the post if I run into any problems. This is a pretty simple device and if it keeps working they way it is now well worth the money.