4.0 out of 5 stars Would buy again
Published on November 15, 2012 by Steve S.

Published 14 months ago by Jim S.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would buy again, November 15, 2012
Steve S. (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with External Antennas (JNR3210) (Personal Computers)
I am using this unit as an access point. I updated the FW right away and it was easy to do, but you will need your router's serial number to download it, so have the unit handy. I did not use the installation CD/program; I just went into its default address and changed it to one to work with my current router and network. With that in mind, here are my impressions of it as an access point.

Pros: Compact. External antennas really make a difference, especially with N access points. I have one N access point with internal antennas. Its range and throughput are radically lower. Range on this unit seems good, especially when a floor above it vs. at the other end of the house. It's not quite as good as a 3-antenna AP I have, but it's good. Nice to have an on/off switch. All info for log-in, default pass codes, etc. is printed on the bottom of the unit. I have not seen that on other units like this. Thoughtful touch. Ports on back are color-coded for LAN vs. WAN. Again, nice touch. Some indicator lights can be switched off if you want the unit to be visually "quieter". Guest Zones very appreciated. In this day and age of computer viruses and prying eyes I think this is a must to isolate casual users from your main network or your other computer(s). Good also that this is not one of the other brands of routers/AP's that claim Guest Zone but only have it on a higher hardware revision you might or might not get. It also offers network and access point isolation; some AP's claim Guest Zone but really only offer wireless AP isolation while still letting guests onto your network. Connection seems solid; I do not have any dropping issues.

Cons: I was getting slow throughput until I disabled the "20/40 Coexistence" check box. That's not a really obvious solution. Also, N is only on 2.4GHz band. Not a con, but you should know that. Lack of ability to control some of the more granular features of wireless, such as transmit power, 20/40/Auto, and explicit way to limit to N-only or B/G variants are not there. That may not matter to you at all, and it's not a deal-breaker for me. I think the MAC Access Filtering is somewhat obscurely labelled as "Card Access Control". Not everything to configure is on the same menu page. I understand when they are using a wizard vs. manual setup, but once in manual mode I think everything should be presented consistently under the same left menu items and top tabs. Configuring QoS is confusing, in my opinion. This unit is trying to walk a fine line between casual users who want to plug it in and users who need to drill down and really change some settings. For the most part, it succeeds.

What I Can't Speak To: Using it as a full-blown router or as a bridge, etc. I do not run my printer through it and I did not attach any USB devices to it for any of those features or for UPnP or accessing media via a USB drive.

Would I Buy Again: Yes, I would, without hesitation. In my case, the cons are more annoying than deal-breaking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fails randomly and often. disappointing customer service from Netgear as well., December 3, 2013
I bought this router upon reading some good reviews and it seemed like a good choice at the price point. I have been sadly disappointed with the unit as it stops working randomly and often. Upon attempting to consult with Netgear, they wanted to charge a nominal fee to troubleshoot the issue. For a unit that was purchased less than 90 days prior, I don't think so. A lost customer for life vs. trying to provide appropriate product support. I will not purchase another Netgear product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Severe packet loss, constant disconnections, November 11, 2013
Due to relatively good product reviews, I bought this router, but was very disappointed.

Upon doing research, I found a lot of problems with the firmware versions that were released for this router. Download speeds are always good, but there is severe packet loss (problems loading web pages, streaming videos, etc)

Netgear support is also sparse. This router has brought me hours of headaches, as well as strong urges to bring a hammer to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective products, April 4, 2014
I ordered 2 of this item the first one will work for an hour to an hour and a half then it stops until it cools down it was in an open environment and got lost of ventilation. The second one will not route on WIFI but works fine as a wired router. There is not option to contact the seller to return this item.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad router/non existing customer service., December 6, 2013
This unit worked fine for about a month and then started constantly/randomly dropping wifi. It is simply impossible to get any customer support from Netgear. Would not recommend this router and will not buy another Netgear product again.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am happy with this product., September 3, 2012
I don't have much experience with wireless routers but so far I am satisfied with this product. I think the setup software is good and the tech from Netgear was extremely helpful solving the problems I had (needed to reinstall my network printer through new router and also how to turn off top LED light which is too bright for me). The only thing I wish was better is range. The router is upstairs on one side of the house and the signal downstairs at the other end of the house is weak. But be careful not to assume other similar routers are any better, I just don't know. A dual band router would probably be better but our current wireless devices aren't dual band compatible anyway. I am able to stream High Definition video (AVCHD) and high resolution audio (24 bit 192kHz) from my computer to an Oppo BDP-93 midway in the house downstairs without any problems as long as the microwave oven is not in use, otherwise the streaming becomes jerky. This is probably the same for all similar class routers. I got this router vs. other slightly cheaper ones because it is Gigabit capable when using Ethernet connection. I am happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Router with support for Gigabit Ethernet, April 10, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to first qualify this review by stating that I was looking for a basic wireless router that was inexpensive, easy to configure, had built in security enabled, and provided good performance. The reason I say this is that there a lots of high end routers that provide many features that are overkill for a lot of people. This router provides excellent value and is easy for a novice to configure. Here is specifically what I liked about the product:

1. Plug it in and it works! Security is enabled and it connects easily to your Internet Service with a fast and simple configuration that walks you quickly through the process.

2. The router has a unique security password already programmed into it and it is listed on the body of the router which seems to be the new norm with all of the NETGEAR routers. This helps to provide a secure network for people who do not want to spend the time configuring a router. They just want it to work!!

3. The router has good coverage. When placed in the middle room of my two story house it reached all ends of the house (2300 square feet) as well as my front and back yard (although the back yard only had two out of 5 bars).

4. Rather unobtrusive after you turn off the big blue light on the top of the unit. This is in the configuration menu and it is easy to find and turn off. Many companies either make it impossible to find or do not allow you to turn it off. While it is kind of nice if you like a techie look, it can be distracting and an issue if the unit is located next to a TV or in a bedroom. So, you have the option for techie blue light or no light!!

5. Works great as an access point, a router, or as a secondary router (connect it to a LAN port on another router to create a separate network that is isolated from the first network).

6. The unit will automatically reset its assigned address base if you connect it to another router to prevent IP address conflicts.

7. An easy to use interface that while not providing as many options as a high end router, it certainly provides everything that many people will want or need.

What I did not like about the router:

1. It only supports the 2.4 Ghz bandwidth. This is probably not a big issue for many people as the common band assigned is 2.4 Ghz and it is also the band that has the most range. While the 5 Ghz band is nice to have for streaming video, the 2.4 works just fine. I was easily able to stream 3 separate videos to three different TVs from Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix.

2. The big Blue light on top. As I mentioned above, you can easily turn it off in the software but I would prefer the default to be off instead of on.

3. The router seems a bit sensitive to its reporting of network attacks but I would rather have it more sensitive than not sensitive enough. This does NOT affect your usage, just the reporting. NETGEAR is providing an update to their software that will fix this reporting issue.

This is a GREAT product for anyone who just wants an inexpensive router that has good coverage, is easy to use, and just plain and simple works! Yes, there are more expensive routers out there that provide a lot more features, but for many people that is just plain overkill.

I would buy this router and i would recommend it to anyone who just wants a basic router that works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible coverage, September 29, 2013
This router has the worst range than any other routers I have owned. Just one room right next door cannot receive good signals, internet keeps breaking up. Only for people using 1 room is OK.

2.0 out of 5 stars Adequate Router, poor USB connection, January 17, 2014
Del Brisson (Cottage Grove, MN) - See all my reviews
It installed easy enough. My wired computer connections went very well. Wireless connections, when close to the router seemed fast and stable. I connected up my USB hard drive to share across the network. That's where the trouble started. This connection was too slow to be useful. So slow in fact that it took 5 seconds to load a 1Meg picture up to Windows Photo Viewer. Then when I tried to rotate the picture and save it I received a response that I didn't have rights to save the picture. After hours of testing I can only conclude that the connection was so slow that windows failed the save and responded with it's best guess. I called Tech Support and worked with them for another couple of hours before they determined it to be bad unit and I should return it to Amazon for replacement. That I did and the replacement functioned exactly as the first one did. I sent that one back for refund. Amazon, good customer service. Netgear should know more about the capabilities of their devices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great router, VERY easy setup! Not dual channel though, April 1, 2013
Altmed (California United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This has to be the easiest to set up router I've ever used. It was up & running in just a few minutes. Has much better range than my old single-antenna router.

Setting up the VoIP settings was a breeze, was easy to find,along with just about any setting you would ever want to use. My cell works through it when streaming data,such as movies at home.

Best single channel router I've ever used! Data streams very quickly & without bottle-necking.

Transfers between devices on the network run at I believe capacity for those devices.

Lights are kinda cool looking (when you have your WAN & 1 device plugged in, a couple of cables at the ready for the next 2 & the other 2 &USB open,the lights resemble a UFO. might be a bit bright for bedrooms, unless you like a fairly bright nightlight.

1 line to your modem (WAN)
4 Ethernet cable ports (LAN)
1 rear USB port (FAT32/64 + NTFS)

WiFi on/off button
Power on/off button
Parental controls

WMM QoS

Security WPA/WPA2-PSK/WEP
And 2 Firewalls (SPA & NAT)
DoS attack prevention

No CD needed for installation, which was a breeze. (It may not support those dinosaur devices you have still lying around,but supports my roughly 7 year-old wireless dongle on my older computer!) If using on older devices,you may want to check the specs to be sure they ate N wireless compatible or use them wired.

I had a few stumbling blocks with a cheaply Epson printer,but nothing a bit of elbow grease & their funky setup manual couldn't cure. (I need to just get a descent printer, but this was on sale, I had a new computer with Windows 7 that my old printer couldn't handle, and needed a printer ASAP so I just grabbed the least expensive thing on the rack,which I next to never do, but did this time. (Haste does make waste!)

The only reason for the 4 stars was it isn't dual-channel, which not everyone needs,yet does help when running multiple devices,including VoIP,which BTW was a cinch to set up!

Overall a really nice little router!Runs everything I threw at it & quite well. I'd forgotten to change the settings for the VoIP so it would be priority & not change channels & drop calls.

Overall a nice router!

Yes!I would recommend,yet if running a lot of data or devices,I'd suggest the model with dual channels by Netgear.

This router is replacing my older,slower Netgear model & data within my LAN is screaming fast!

So far,very happy with this little "UFO-looking"device! The wireless is faster,the wired is screaming & I'm sure maxing out device speeds at this point,except perhaps the VoIP phone?

Good stuff!