5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Solution for Media Streaming
I've been waiting for the Netgear MoCA Kit for awhile now. There were other solutions, but I had high hopes for this model. As it turns out, it was worth the wait.

Published on April 17, 2009 by midnight821

Published on October 17, 2010 by J. Crew

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Solution for Media Streaming, April 17, 2009
This review is from: NETGEAR MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit (Black) (Personal Computers)

First things first, installation was a snap. I followed the instructions and all status lights were on and I was able to use a computer on the other end within minutes. Awesome, but now the TVs were not working. I went into the configuration and turned off All Pass and the problem was fixed. There were also options to adjust frequency, but I did not have to go that far. My setup includes a cable box and DVR and the MoCA works great with them. I'll be adding a small switch to allow for connecting gaming consoles and other devices soon.

I have not tested the transfer speeds extensively, although the Adapters are saying they are at 252 Mbps (out of a max of 270 Mbps). I do have some doubts that the speed is that high, but it's not too far off. Files transferred quickly and I was streaming photos, music, and videos from my home server within minutes to my HDTV in the other room. While I did not test all kinds of video file types, I was able to stream 720p and 1080i without trouble and no lag at all. Of course, if you had other devices pulling bandwidth, then it might be an issue.

You receive 2 coax cables and 2 ethernet cables in the kit. However, it would have been nice to have the cables a bit longer. The configuration pages are fairly straight-forward. Although, it requires you to hook a computer directly up to the devices in order to access the setup options, which isn't a big deal because after you get it going I don't really think you will be doing any additional configuration. The lights on the front of the adapters are a bright blue, but you can turn them off by hitting a button on the back. The units appear to stay relatively cool, but do warm up a bit when you are passing traffic through them heavily. It's nothing abnormal though.

Overall, this setup is highly recommended for those that do not want to run CAT5 through their house. The cost is decent and the setup is very easy. The units provide you with an easy solution for providing network access to your HDTV, gaming console, or other devices.

UPDATE 1/2/2010: It's been almost eight months since buying and installing the Netgear MoCA kit and I am providing this as an update to my review. I have been using them to stream media (video, music, photos) from my home server to my HDTV on another floor. I have also added a small switch and an Xbox 360 along with the HDTV. Streaming has been going very well and all internet access to my Xbox 360 has been great. While there are days I have to reset my other network equipment for various reasons, the NetGear MoCA devices keep on trucking. I never have a problem out of them and they are always performing top notch! Still highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars What You Need to Know About Why It May Not Work (but won't find out from reading the product details), October 17, 2010
As others have mentioned, this product operates at 1.5 Ghz frequency. However, apparently many (most?) cable company-installed splitters and amplifiers top out at 1Ghz/1000Mhz. What this means is that if you have splitters and/or amplifiers in your line, this product may not work, since the frequency the network data is transmitted on between the Coax units may be filtered out by the splitters and amplifiers. This would be like trying to tune in FM 103 on a radio that doesn't go above 99 on the FM frequency scale. (And any Electrical Engineers out there, feel free to correct me if my layman's understanding strays.)

When I hooked the adapters up on my coax lines, the power LED and the Ethernet LED light up, but the Coax traffic LED does not, indicating network traffic is not being transmitted between units. I tested the units by linking them directly together by coax (as suggested in other reviews) and the Coax LED will light in that configuration, so the problem is not a defective unit.

As to my particulars, I have a four bedroom, 2800sf house with 6 cable outlets and Cox Communications is my provider. I have at least three two-way splitters with a 1 Ghz limit on the high end outside my cable box and a four-way splitter/amplifier at my box, which also has a 1Ghz limit on the high end. And while it may be possible to replace the splitters outside the cable box with 2.3 Ghz splitters, I'm not sure it's possible (or even kosher) to replace the splitter/amplifier at the box with one that operates with a higher top end frequency.

As to alternative solutions, I've previously tried a single wireless N router (insufficient coverage and signal throughput) and a wireless N router with a separate Hawking wireless N range extender (would not configure). I was avoiding powerline units, thinking Coax adapters would have fewer variables to foul the transmission, but looks like that my be my last option to get that darned video-over-internet and home server signal from one end of the house to the other. Netflix, your 9.99/mo instant streaming service is proving to be quite costly...

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Wireless, April 27, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've always had issues with the wireless connection between my router in my office and the XBox 360 and PS3 in my family room. Power line Ethernet adapters won't work with the wiring in my home and so I was excited to see Netgear release the MoCa Coax - Eathernet Adapter.

The adapter easily installed on both ends (one near my cable modem and another at my TV) and it worked from the start. Now I can watch Netflix on Demand in High Def without it stopping and downscaling. The throughput has been consistent and speeds have been legions faster than I could ever get with my ambling wireless connection.

One important note, this does NOT work if you have DirecTV or The Dish Network as those often run on separate channels from your home's interior cable wiring.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product , but hard to install, October 4, 2009
I. Todorov (Tustin, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Like most of the other reviewers I think by now I tried all alternatives to CAT5 wiring º...I was looking for solution to stream my video files between different parts of the house and tried several technologies ... no technology seem to be perfect.
Power line Ethernet adapters were very easy to install and worked great when the power outlets are wired properly ¡V I got 100 Mbps between my computer on the second flow , but the communication between the first and second floors seemed a little slow - throughput fell to 24 Mbps ...so had to look for alternatives ... my WIFI generally work also great the new Belkin n+ has a great coverage but still not enough to stream HD videos so I decided to try MCAB1001 ... my experience was mixed ... on one hand, once installed seems to work (I had it for a day ) ... but the install was anything but trivial ... I read the reviews before and they all talk about how easy is to install...how ¡§installation was a snap ¡§ etc .. oooh my goosh these reviews must have being sponsored by Netgear (one actually acknowledged it ).. to save you the frustration and troubleshooting , here are some pitfalls that you have to watch for :
1. Use the configuration utility to set both adapter to MoCA D Band mode , by default it is set in AllPass Mode which interfere with your TV signal and internet modem (if you get broadband via you cable company)
2. If after you are done with Step 1 and it does not work, you may also need have to a little look in the coax cables wiring of the house ... the MCAB1001 kit works on configurable frequency above 1GHz (by default 1.5 GHz) .. problem is that very often the cable company will use splitters which are in range of 5Mhz ¡V 1000 MHz. so your splitter will filter the MOCA signal and your set up will not work (symptom - the MCAB LED will be off all the time)... so to overcome this I had to go to Home depot and buy new splitter which have 5 MHz to 2.3 GHz and then everything worked fine ... Note that all splitters between the MCAB adapters have to be with range wider then ¡V 5MHz - 1.5 GHz
Performance so far is promising ... will keep my fingers crossed
One last note .. In the processed of troubleshooting , I tried to use to use Netgear tech support ... I got a guys, who barely spoke English ... and was constantly asking someone also what to do next ... after 2 hours I just gave up ...so the moral of the story - you are on your own ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Setup and Use, July 22, 2011
Jason Dorcy (Fairfield, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I plugged everything in according to the provided instructions and it just worked. Although I did not test the throughput, I did stream an HD movie from my NAS to my PS3 via DLNA and it worked without a flaw; no stutter or artifacts or pause.

If I do any speed tests, I wil update the review with those results.

For my setup, I did not have to go into the configuration or install the software.

MY SETUP

Relevant components:
- Comcast Cable
- D-Link DIR-655 Wireless Router
- D-Link Gigabit 4-port Switch
- Tivo S-3 (uses cable cards)

Configuration:
Internet source location (my office)
- Coxial Cable: Wall --> Moca IN
- Coxial Cable: Moca OUT --> Modem
- Ethernet Cable: Modem --> Router
- Ethernet Cable: Router --> Moca
- Ethernet Cable: Router --> Other devices (PCs, NAS, switch, etc...)

Extended location (my TV room)
- Coxial Cable: Wall --> Moca IN
- Coxial Cable: Moca OUT --> Tivo IN
- Ethernet: Moca --> Switch --> Other devices (Tivo, PS3, etc...)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best coax option, November 27, 2010
This is the best option for extending ethernet in homes that lack an existing internal ethernet network.

Comparison: Netgear vs other products
Actiontec requires the use of a splitter. I don't like this option because this will reduce signal strength. This might not be significant in some cases but why reduce signal strength when not necessary? I did not like the Gefen product because setup appeared complex when I read the manual. The Netgear product takes about 15 minutes to setup; connect the set of cables correctly and product just works. I cannot comment on the D-Linx or Highwire products.

Comparison: Direct connection to router vs. indirect connection using the Netgear adapter.
I used speedtest.net. I accessed a server 50 miles away using direct connection to my router vs indirect connection to my same router using Netgear coax adapter. Download speed 11.74 Mb/s (direct) vs 11.78 Mb/s (coax adapter), upload 1.92 Mb/s (direct) vs. 1.89 Mb/s (coax adapter), ping 21 msec (direct), 24 msec (coax adapter). Essentially, the coax adapter and direct router connection gave the same performance.

Comparison: Direct wiring of home vs. coaxial adapter
Direct wiring will require special tools, special knowledge and more time but will probably cost less. I recommend selecting high speed cable that with lower risk of generating toxic fumes in the event of a fire. Also recommend proper tools when wiring is difficult: special drill bits to drill behind walls, fiber glass rods to push cable, and magnetic adapters for fish tape. You will need to know how to find the best locations in basements, crawl spaces, and attics for feeding the Ethernet cable; how to use fish tape and related tools, how to cut & repair walls (suggest you plan to cut & repair walls in closet areas), how to plan wiring, and how to estimate signal amplifier gain when feeding several Ethernet lines.

Comparison: Coaxial adapter vs. Powerline adapter & wireless.
I looked at multiple comparisons. Coaxial adapter typically is several times faster than Powerline adapter. Powerline adapter typically is placed over an outlet; you lose one outlet and could block other outlets; powerline adapters with outlets can compensate but are more expensive ($130/kit). Coaxial adapter is several times faster and more reliable than wireless system. Cost is slightly more $180 (coax adapter kit) vs $130 (powerline adapter kit with outlet plugs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product. However, may require more in depth set-up if..., January 24, 2010
wolfen (Southern USA) - See all my reviews
...you have a cable amplifier like I do.

Solution: I bought 2 Ideal Diplexor's from Lowe's. This splits the signal bands (<1000 is cable, >1000 is MoCA/Satellite).

Here is a link to the diagram of how I did it.
[...]

I now have the MoCA connected to my LG370 Blu-ray player, and am able to stream Netflix with no apparent issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally easy, suprisingly solid., April 19, 2009
I used to have 2 wireless routers bridged across my house and was trying to figure out an effective way of connecting the two. I've used powerline adapters but the throughput on these was marginal for any video streaming from a Media Center PC to an Xbox 360.

Then I purchased this device.... Hookup was a snap! My house doesn't have all new wiring or the ability to run ethernet from my entertainment system, due to the way wiring was run around an existing fireplace by the previous owner. I have a small segment of RG59 and this device works!!!

Overall I'm extremely surprised at how well this is working. Now I haven't ran an actual speed test to see what Mbs I'm currently getting but pings between devices have dropped from 10ms to 3ms.

If you don't want to run all new wiring in your home and powerline just doesn't cut it, I truly recommend this device. Hookup is simple and as long as you follow directions you should be up and running in minutes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for adding devices to a FIOS network, February 13, 2012
I run a computer repair service and have used these in multiple installations to connect computers and other devices to a FIOS based network. Setup is easy:
-Use the included CD to load the control software.
-Plug in the power supply to the MoCA adapter and press the mode button on the back to change from normal mode to configuration mode (a blue wrench symbol will illuminate on the front of the device when in configuration mode.
-Connect the MoCA adapter via an Ethernet cable to your computer.
-Start the software and it will automatically find the MoCA adapter.
-Login using the default password (ad***)
-On the Coax setup screen click on the Channel dropdown and change from SCAN to 1150mhz
-Save and exit.
-Press the mode button to change the MoCA adapter back to normal mode (blue wrench turns off)
-This channel change allows the adapter to work correctly with FIOS
-Next go to the coax connection where you want to add an Ethernet connection
-Disconnect the cable from the Verizon TV box and connect it to a high bandwidth splitter like this one from Amazon,
Audiovox DH24SPR Two Way 2.4 Ghz Bi-Di Splitter
-The MoCA adapter has a built-in splitter but it does not work well with FIOS.
-Using two coax cables connect one cable to the splitter and the TV box and the second cable from the splitter to the MoCA Adapter.
-Plug in the power supply for the adapter and the power light will come on.
-Shortly after the coax light will illuminate.
-You can now plug in any Ethernet capable device (switch, blu-ray player, TV, X-box, wireless access point, etc.) and configure for the Internet.
-When you plug in an Ethernet device the Ethernet light will illuminate on the front of the MoCA adapter.

If you have FIOS this is a great device for expanding your network and connecting all kinds of devices!
I also highly recommend the current Amazon source Adams Cable Equipment (good prices, fast shipping, packed well).

Capable Computers

5.0 out of 5 stars Much faster than wireless 802.11n, July 4, 2009
My home was wired with coaxial cable instead of CAT5, so the Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA is an ideal solution to my communication needs. I have three Mac minis that I have connected via the Netgear MCAB1001. They are also connected via an Apple MB763LL/A AirPort Extreme Dual-band Base Station. Whereas the wireless base station permits transfer of media content from one mini to the other at a bandwidth of 877 kilobytes per second using 802.11n, the MoCA achieves 10.45 megabytes per second. Also, QuickTime or EyeTV video that is streamed via 802.11n frequently pauses, whereas when this video is streamed via the MoCA it is continuous.

The Netgear MoCA is extremely easy to install. My only complaint is that the MCA1001 Configuration Utility, which is necessary for enabling encrypted communication, does not run under Mac OS but instead under either Windows Vista or Windows XP. However, one of my Mac minis is an older PowerPC G4 model on which I have installed Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows XP. The MCA1001 Configuration Utility runs fine under this version of Windows XP and permits reconfiguration of the MoCA.

It would be nice if Netgear were to sell this MoCA in units of one instead of as a pair because in order to obtain three MoCA's I had to purchase four.

NETGEAR MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit (Black)
Used & New from: $599.99