Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 17, 2009
I've been waiting for the Netgear MoCA Kit for awhile now. There were other solutions, but I had high hopes for this model. As it turns out, it was worth the wait.

First things first, installation was a snap. I followed the instructions and all status lights were on and I was able to use a computer on the other end within minutes. Awesome, but now the TVs were not working. I went into the configuration and turned off All Pass and the problem was fixed. There were also options to adjust frequency, but I did not have to go that far. My setup includes a cable box and DVR and the MoCA works great with them. I'll be adding a small switch to allow for connecting gaming consoles and other devices soon.

I have not tested the transfer speeds extensively, although the Adapters are saying they are at 252 Mbps (out of a max of 270 Mbps). I do have some doubts that the speed is that high, but it's not too far off. Files transferred quickly and I was streaming photos, music, and videos from my home server within minutes to my HDTV in the other room. While I did not test all kinds of video file types, I was able to stream 720p and 1080i without trouble and no lag at all. Of course, if you had other devices pulling bandwidth, then it might be an issue.

You receive 2 coax cables and 2 ethernet cables in the kit. However, it would have been nice to have the cables a bit longer. The configuration pages are fairly straight-forward. Although, it requires you to hook a computer directly up to the devices in order to access the setup options, which isn't a big deal because after you get it going I don't really think you will be doing any additional configuration. The lights on the front of the adapters are a bright blue, but you can turn them off by hitting a button on the back. The units appear to stay relatively cool, but do warm up a bit when you are passing traffic through them heavily. It's nothing abnormal though.

Overall, this setup is highly recommended for those that do not want to run CAT5 through their house. The cost is decent and the setup is very easy. The units provide you with an easy solution for providing network access to your HDTV, gaming console, or other devices.

UPDATE 1/2/2010: It's been almost eight months since buying and installing the Netgear MoCA kit and I am providing this as an update to my review. I have been using them to stream media (video, music, photos) from my home server to my HDTV on another floor. I have also added a small switch and an Xbox 360 along with the HDTV. Streaming has been going very well and all internet access to my Xbox 360 has been great. While there are days I have to reset my other network equipment for various reasons, the NetGear MoCA devices keep on trucking. I never have a problem out of them and they are always performing top notch! Still highly recommended.
77 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2010
As others have mentioned, this product operates at 1.5 Ghz frequency. However, apparently many (most?) cable company-installed splitters and amplifiers top out at 1Ghz/1000Mhz. What this means is that if you have splitters and/or amplifiers in your line, this product may not work, since the frequency the network data is transmitted on between the Coax units may be filtered out by the splitters and amplifiers. This would be like trying to tune in FM 103 on a radio that doesn't go above 99 on the FM frequency scale. (And any Electrical Engineers out there, feel free to correct me if my layman's understanding strays.)

When I hooked the adapters up on my coax lines, the power LED and the Ethernet LED light up, but the Coax traffic LED does not, indicating network traffic is not being transmitted between units. I tested the units by linking them directly together by coax (as suggested in other reviews) and the Coax LED will light in that configuration, so the problem is not a defective unit.

As to my particulars, I have a four bedroom, 2800sf house with 6 cable outlets and Cox Communications is my provider. I have at least three two-way splitters with a 1 Ghz limit on the high end outside my cable box and a four-way splitter/amplifier at my box, which also has a 1Ghz limit on the high end. And while it may be possible to replace the splitters outside the cable box with 2.3 Ghz splitters, I'm not sure it's possible (or even kosher) to replace the splitter/amplifier at the box with one that operates with a higher top end frequency.

As to alternative solutions, I've previously tried a single wireless N router (insufficient coverage and signal throughput) and a wireless N router with a separate Hawking wireless N range extender (would not configure). I was avoiding powerline units, thinking Coax adapters would have fewer variables to foul the transmission, but looks like that my be my last option to get that darned video-over-internet and home server signal from one end of the house to the other. Netflix, your 9.99/mo instant streaming service is proving to be quite costly...
1414 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2012
I bought the Netgear MCAB1001 because I didn't want the router supplied with my Verizon FiOS internet, the ActionTec MI424WR. Verizon configures their routers with a custom firmware that maintains at least one administration backdoor into the device (on port 4567) and explicitly forbids you from creating a rule to block incoming connections on that port. I don't trust Verizon on my home network, so I needed to replace their trojan router with my own network device that could bridge the MoCA "network" (i.e. the Coax connection from the Optical Network Terminal on the outside of the house) to the Ethernet WAN connection on my personal router. This device will do that for you.

In the box is a small setup flyer, which doesn't describe my intended use case at all, and in fact only served to confuse me. There's a slightly better user manual PDF available on the Netgear site, but it's only slightly better.

Configuration of this device can only be done from a Windows system, because you have to run a Windows-only executable from Netgear on the included CD. It's a good thing I had a Windows VM ready to go, because otherwise this would have been a problem.

There are a few crucial things you have to do in order for this device to work with the Verizon FiOS ONT at all. One, you have to find the "Coax interface password" from the Verizon router's admin pages, and enter it as the Netgear's "privacy / encryption" key. Two, you must explicitly release your DHCP lease from the Verizon router! If you don't do this, it will be two hours before your new router can get a DHCP lease. Three, back in the Netgear configuration settings you have to choose 1000MHz under "channel" and "All Pass" under "Diplexer". if you carefully do all of these things, the Coax LED will light up and your router, connected to its Ethernet port, can get a DHCP lease from Verizon.

Overall I would have given it a better rating, but I gave it 3 stars for being difficult to configure, not having a Mac or Linux configuration utility or a web admin interface, and only supporting 8 character or less admin passwords.
on July 22, 2011
I plugged everything in according to the provided instructions and it just worked. Although I did not test the throughput, I did stream an HD movie from my NAS to my PS3 via DLNA and it worked without a flaw; no stutter or artifacts or pause.

If I do any speed tests, I wil update the review with those results.

For my setup, I did not have to go into the configuration or install the software.

MY SETUP

Relevant components:
- Comcast Cable
- D-Link DIR-655 Wireless Router
- D-Link Gigabit 4-port Switch
- Tivo S-3 (uses cable cards)

Configuration:
Internet source location (my office)
- Coxial Cable: Wall --> Moca IN
- Coxial Cable: Moca OUT --> Modem
- Ethernet Cable: Modem --> Router
- Ethernet Cable: Router --> Moca
- Ethernet Cable: Router --> Other devices (PCs, NAS, switch, etc...)

Extended location (my TV room)
- Coxial Cable: Wall --> Moca IN
- Coxial Cable: Moca OUT --> Tivo IN
- Ethernet: Moca --> Switch --> Other devices (Tivo, PS3, etc...)
VINE VOICEon April 27, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've always had issues with the wireless connection between my router in my office and the XBox 360 and PS3 in my family room. Power line Ethernet adapters won't work with the wiring in my home and so I was excited to see Netgear release the MoCa Coax - Eathernet Adapter.

The adapter easily installed on both ends (one near my cable modem and another at my TV) and it worked from the start. Now I can watch Netflix on Demand in High Def without it stopping and downscaling. The throughput has been consistent and speeds have been legions faster than I could ever get with my ambling wireless connection.

One important note, this does NOT work if you have DirecTV or The Dish Network as those often run on separate channels from your home's interior cable wiring.
on February 13, 2012
I run a computer repair service and have used these in multiple installations to connect computers and other devices to a FIOS based network. Setup is easy:
-Use the included CD to load the control software.
-Plug in the power supply to the MoCA adapter and press the mode button on the back to change from normal mode to configuration mode (a blue wrench symbol will illuminate on the front of the device when in configuration mode.
-Connect the MoCA adapter via an Ethernet cable to your computer.
-Start the software and it will automatically find the MoCA adapter.
-Login using the default password (ad***)
-On the Coax setup screen click on the Channel dropdown and change from SCAN to 1150mhz
-Save and exit.
-Press the mode button to change the MoCA adapter back to normal mode (blue wrench turns off)
-This channel change allows the adapter to work correctly with FIOS
-Next go to the coax connection where you want to add an Ethernet connection
-Disconnect the cable from the Verizon TV box and connect it to a high bandwidth splitter like this one from Amazon,
Audiovox DH24SPR Two Way 2.4 Ghz Bi-Di Splitter
-The MoCA adapter has a built-in splitter but it does not work well with FIOS.
-Using two coax cables connect one cable to the splitter and the TV box and the second cable from the splitter to the MoCA Adapter.
-Plug in the power supply for the adapter and the power light will come on.
-Shortly after the coax light will illuminate.
-You can now plug in any Ethernet capable device (switch, blu-ray player, TV, X-box, wireless access point, etc.) and configure for the Internet.
-When you plug in an Ethernet device the Ethernet light will illuminate on the front of the MoCA adapter.

If you have FIOS this is a great device for expanding your network and connecting all kinds of devices!
I also highly recommend the current Amazon source Adams Cable Equipment (good prices, fast shipping, packed well).

Capable Computers
66 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2010
...you have a cable amplifier like I do.

Solution: I bought 2 Ideal Diplexor's from Lowe's. This splits the signal bands (<1000 is cable, >1000 is MoCA/Satellite).

Here is a link to the diagram of how I did it.
[...]

I now have the MoCA connected to my LG370 Blu-ray player, and am able to stream Netflix with no apparent issues.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2012
I just setup my Netgear MOCA adapters 2 weeks ago and these Amazon reviews were so helpful that I had to leave my own review. Also, just as a note the company selling these through Amazon right now and the one I bought these adapters through is called "Adams Cable Equipment," they did a good job of packing and shipping these out to me. But just to let everybody know, they do charge a restocking fee of around 20% or so if you buy these and open them and find out they don't work with your home/apartment. Since these adapters can be iffy depending on the cable wiring/splitters/signal boosters a.k.a. amplifiers in your home, you better be sure they will work before you buy or just take the gamble.

I finally got these MOCA adapters to work but I couldn't get them to link to each other at first and thought the problem was most likely the signal booster (amplifier) that Comcast installed because of the poor signal our house receives. I couldn't open the Comcast cable box on the side of the house since they have it locked down with a special locking mechanism. So I called Comcast and they sent out a tech and I first asked him if he could just install a diplexer to route the signal around the amplifier and showed him the diagram that another poster on here made (link at the bottom of this review) but Comcast cable guys don't carry any of that stuff since it's considered Satellite gear and they also don't carry any splitters rated higher then 1000MHz. Anyways, he unlocked the cable box and unhooked the booster from the system and then went and made sure the speeds of our cable modem and TV picture was not affected. The signal was fine so we didn't even need the booster installed I guess.

I went and tried to link the MOCA adapters again but it still wouldn't work, I had one installed between my cable modem and router and the other one I was walking around the house with and plugged it into the coax outlet ports to see if the link light would come on but it wouldn't. The tech mentioned I should plug the adapter into a coax port that I know receives a cable connection. I figured all of the coax ports in the house were wired to receive a signal so it shouldn't matter, but I followed his advice and unplugged a TV that was connected to a coax port on the wall and then plugged in the MOCA box and the link light finally came on.

So I think the whole time I was plugging my 2nd MOCA adapter into open coax outlets in the house that were not wired to receive a signal. I probably didn't even need the signal amplifier to be removed, I talked to another tech and he mentioned the amplifiers Comcast installs are passive (not active) so MOCA adapters should still work with them. I'll never know now though since the amp is disconnected.

I've done several speed tests using LanSpeedTest (free utility) and get around 40 Mbit/s read and 70 Mbit/s write between my desktop (that is directly wired to my router) and the destination folder is one I picked on the USB hard drive that is connected to my WDTV Live Streaming media player that is located upstairs and is networked using MOCA (I also have a WDTV Live downstairs). I did some network file transfers and I was getting around 6MB/sec to 9MB/sec depending on the destination. I saw the faster speeds when I transferred files from my computer TO the USB hard drives attached to my media players. I know these MOCA adapters can get to around 10-12MB/sec and I'd like to get that speed but not sure what to do in order to get those. I tried changing the splitter in the cable box to one that goes to 2000MHz instead of 1000MHz but the speeds stayed the same.

Anyways, my whole purpose for buying these adapters was for streaming and they do that fine. Most of my movies are 720P/1080P 4-12GB h.264 mkvs and they stream fine except my older WDTV Live was having issues. For whatever reason, it cannot stream movies without issues from the USB hard drive attached to my upstairs WDTV Streamer (Newer Version). I replaced the old WDTV Live with the newer Streaming version and it works fine now. If you are reading this and wondering what the hell a WDTV Live Streamer is, there is a link below. If you have a large collection of media downloaded from torrents or usenet then it really is the easiest way to play back everything through your TV/Home Theater.

Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player - WDBHG70000NBK-HESN

Anyways, to get back to my speeds I'm seeing. They might be lower because of the longer runs of coax cabling in the house I'm at. Or maybe the splitters Comcast installed, like I mentioned before I replaced the 1000MHz splitter in the cable box but that didn't matter, but most likely there are more splitters in the attic since that is where all the coax cable goes to from the cable box. So I went up there to look around but the stuffing they put up in the attic for insulation is several feet thick and it would be a huge pain to try and follow those coax cables to see if they are attached to any lower frequency 1000MHz splitters. My main goal was to get fast enough speeds for streaming and that works fine so I'm gonna leave the splitters alone. There are several reviews on here where people mentioned you have to replace your splitters for higher frequency ones to get these MOCA adapters to work but that wasn't my experience.

SUMMARY:

For those people that have a signal amplifier installed in their house by the cable company, it may or may not cause problems with these MOCA adapters. If you buy these adapters and the link LED light won't come on then most likely it's the amp and you either need to route the signal around it using diplexers or remove it.

If you are cable/satellite technology inclined and know that you have an amp in your house, then I would suggest you go to the Amazon post linked to below and read it, the guy made a diagram on how he connected diplexers to route the MOCA signal around the amp. Also, read through these Amazon reviews, there are tons of explanations on how people got these adapters to work with their setup. I read through every single one since I knew my house had an amplifier in it. If you aren't splitter/diplexer savvy then call your cable company and see if you can't get a free service call, tell them the amplifier they installed is preventing you from setting up a home network or something. I also made a post on Craigslist before I got these adapters asking for people who knew about this stuff in case I ran into trouble installing it, that way I could just hire them to do it. I got 2 people that responded that were familiar with doing this kind of stuff. But it turned out I didn't even need them since Comcast sent out a guy for free and I needed him anyways so that he could unlock the cable box on the side of my home.

Also, don't worry if your home has splitters in it that only go up to 1000MHz. These MOCA adapters will most likely still work fine even though the frequency they operate at is higher then that. I guess it depends on the splitters that were installed in your home, if they can pass that higher MOCA freq. or not. If they don't you can always just lower the frequency to something less then 1000MHz used by these MOCA adapters. Just read the user manual to figure out how to open the utility to access the interface and change the settings. I 'll upload pictures of that to the Amazon gallery. Just so you know, if you have to lower the frequency to something less then 1000MHz that means you'll have to change the setting to "All Pass" mode which disables the Coax out port on the device. So anything plugged into it will not receive a signal, you'll have to use a splitter.

Diplexer Post:

Diplexer diagram:
[...]

BTW I purchased 200Mbps and 500Mbps ethernet over powerline adapters from Netgear and Zyxel and the speeds were horrible compared to what I'm seeing with these MOCA adapters. So if you want to network stuff and want the fastest speeds possible, yet not have to worry about wiring your home with CAT5e/6 cabling, then MOCA adapters are your only option. The price for four of these adapters is one hundred fifty, so four 500Mbps powerline adapters are not only more expensive but also slower. So it's a no brainer to try these MOCA adapters out first if you have the patience to get them to work if they don't at first.

I also e-mailed Netgear to see if these devices have a newer firmware since I couldn't find anything on their site since these MOCA adapters are discontinued, here is a link to the product page with the user guides/firmware. Latest firmware version shows 1.56.24.02 and that is what all my devices showed.

FUTURE OF MOCA:

If you go to the Wikipedia page for MOCA you'll see that the new MOCA 2.0 standard was passed in June of 2010 and will allow for much faster speeds. "MOCA 2.0 offers two performance modes, Basic and Enhanced, with 400 Mbit/s and 800 Mbit/s net throughputs (MAC), using 700 Mbit/s and 1.4 Gbit/s PHY rates, respectively."

So it will be interesting to see how new MOCA 2.0 products perform if they ever come out, I just hope companies don't abandon it. These Netgear MOCA adapters have been discontinued for awhile now and you can't really find any MOCA products on other sites, everything seems to be discontinued. I'm guessing companies don't want to have to deal with product support for these MOCA devices since if they don't work in your home, there is no easy fix. You can't tell your average consumer to install diplexers or remove the cable amplifier to their home, most people have no clue when it comes to that stuff.

It seems everybody wants to use powerline adapters since they are easy to install, so that's what companies are pushing now for networking besides wireless products. Powerline adapters are easy to install, just plug into your electrical outlet. But they can be slow and there are tons of factors that affect their performance even more so then MOCA, with powerline you have to worry about AFCI circuit breakers, washers, dryers or any other device that can cause electrical noise. Even an innocent cell phone charger can cause problems, read this if you are thinking about going the powerline networking route.

[...]

Sorry for the novel, but I really wanted to detail everything so that anybody buying this product will know what to expect. Hopefully you'll be able to just plug them right in and they work.
review image review image
on June 22, 2011
I was just about to return the darn thing until I stumbled across some valuable info in the reviews.

[The symptoms] I plugged in MoCA box 1 to the coax outlet. Then from the MoCA box to my cable modem. My cable modem could connect. However, as soon as I plugged power into the MoCA box, my cable modem lost connection.

[The reason] I read that many homes have splitters capped at 1Ghz. However, by default, this MoCA is set to use 1.5Ghz. So, the result is that cable Internet signal would get filtered out once I put the powered MoCA box in between the cable modem and the coax outlet.

[The solution] This product comes with software on a CD that essentially lets you log into the MoCA box. It's called NETGEAR MCA1001 UTILITY and is what gets installed if you choose the "install software" option on the CD's autorun menu. Once installed, you have to hit a button on the back of the MoCA box to make sure it is in "configuration" mode (the wrench LED icon lights up). The MoCA box should be plugged into power and it should be plugged into your router (or PC) with ethernet cable.

Once I did all that, I ran the software and logged into the MoCA. The default password is on the bottom of the box (it's "admin"). On the left is a menu. Under Startup, there is a heading called "Coax". I clicked on that and saw a drop down for frequencies. I had no idea which one to pick, so I picked SCAN which is supposed to automatically scan for a frequency. Then I clicked save, hit the button to take my MoCA out of configuration mode and back into normal mode, and reset my cable modem (it was still plugged in via coax to the MoCA and the MoCA was still plugged into the coax outlet). My cable modem was now able to connect to the Internet!

I repeated the same configuration process on MoCA box 2 and then plugged it into the coax outlet in my living room. The hexagon icon with a dot lit up, indicating it was receiving a signal! I plugged it into a router I had setup there and tested some Internet stuff out (logged into Netflix on PS3).

[Some other "derr" moments]
1. When I first plugged in the MoCA to power, I expected the power icon to light up. For some reason it didn't. Then I unplugged/plugged it back in from the other end (I can't remember if it was the wall first and then the back of the MoCA or vice versa) and the power light lit up.

2. When I plugged MoCA #2 into the router by my TV, I got all happy when I saw the network icon light up. It meant the stupid thing was finally working! Then I moved my entertainment center back up against the wall (I had pulled it out so I could get back there), and what I saw next made my heart sink. The network light was off and sure enough, I was no longer getting Internet through that router. I started imagining all these complex scenarios that would result in intermittent signal, but....the reason it went out was because the ethernet cable from the MocA to the router was jarred loose when I was moving the entertainment center back up against the wall. Duh! *forehead slap*

[Performance]
YMMV, but I tried transferring a 1.5 GB file over the network from my PC -> Router #1 -> MoCA #1 -> MoCA #2 -> Router #2 -> Popcorn Hour (a media box thingy) using FileZilla (ftp program). FileZilla measured the transfer speed at roughtly 7.2 MB/sec, which translates to 57.6 Mbps. Not the advertised 170 Mpbs (or whatever), but definitely faster than I got using Wireless N or Ethernet over Powerline.

[Customer service]
NetGear customer service sux like you can't believe. Dude from not the U.S. said this product is "old" and "end of life" and I would have to fax a proof of purchase to them in order to receive support. This is after spending a half hour getting all my info for registration.

On the plus side, Amazon customer service is great. I totally lagged about trying to get this set up. I didn't get around to it until 2 months after it arrived. I was outside the window for returns, but I asked if I could return anyway, maybe for a partial refund. Amazon agreed to let me return for a full refund. As it turned out, I was able to figure out my problem so it wasn't necessary.
on July 4, 2009
UPDATE February 21, 2015: This extremely useful Netgear MCAB1001 appears to have been replaced by the Actiontec Ethernet over Coax Adapter Kit for Homes without MoCA Routers that is 100% compatible with the MCAB1001. I see that one seller current offers a pair of MCAB1001 for $262 and I have seen a pair offered for as much as $499. Unless you want to purchase a pair of Netgear MCAB1001 as a collector's item, you can obtain the same functionality for $99 by purchasing a pair of Actiontec EDB2500C.

My home was wired with coaxial cable instead of CAT5, so the Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA is an ideal solution to my communication needs. I have three Mac minis that I have connected via the Netgear MCAB1001. They are also connected via an Apple MB763LL/A AirPort Extreme Dual-band Base Station. Whereas the wireless base station permits transfer of media content from one mini to the other at a bandwidth of 877 kilobytes per second using 802.11n, the MoCA achieves 10.45 megabytes per second. Also, QuickTime or EyeTV video that is streamed via 802.11n frequently pauses, whereas when this video is streamed via the MoCA it is continuous.

The Netgear MoCA is extremely easy to install. My only complaint is that the MCA1001 Configuration Utility, which is necessary for enabling encrypted communication, does not run under Mac OS but instead under either Windows Vista or Windows XP. However, one of my Mac minis is an older PowerPC G4 model on which I have installed Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows XP. The MCA1001 Configuration Utility runs fine under this version of Windows XP and permits reconfiguration of the MoCA.

It would be nice if Netgear were to sell this MoCA in units of one instead of as a pair because in order to obtain three MoCA's I had to purchase four.