4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coverage. Horrible setup experience.
I bought the Netgear WN2000RPT primarily to get a wired hub away from my Dlink DIR825 router. As a bonus I found that the WN2000RPT signal strength is much better than that of the Dlink router almost anywhere in the house and reaches much further, such as a kids bedroom and an outside patio that had been troublesome. For that it deserves 5 stars. However, its setup after...
Published on January 5, 2011 by Happy Amazon customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a range extender that works! WRONG!
This is an update to my previous review shown below. Less than a month after installing and setting this unit up, it started dropping the connection with my router. After over an hour with tech support, they determined the unit defective. They sent me a warranty replacement unit which exhibited the same annoying trait...dropped connections after 24-48 hours of...
Published on October 20, 2010 by REL

‹ Previous | 134 35 3646 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Range Extender, August 7, 2011
This review is from: NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender - Desktop Version with 4-Ports (WN2000RPT) (Personal Computers)
The set up was easy, once I understood the process. The instructions seemed somewhat confusing, but not overly so.

This product works as advertised and so far, I have not had any difficulties with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a product that works as it should, August 7, 2011
After attempting to get my linksys ( cisco extender ) highly recommended by best buy to work properly for over eight (8) months and two (2) replacements later they never did work properly . This was after many many technical assistance calls and many many hours of wasted testing time angrily listening to cisco techs ( in India )give numerous bougus reasons why Cisco's piece of junk units wouldnt work . I had enough .........took the lose and sent them back to Cisco systems with angry letters to them and best Buy . I then bought this netgear unit after reading favorable feedback about it from other Amazon buyers .
It works perfectly and its in the same location as the linksys unit. I can now connect to my netfliex, Ipad2, and Iphone without any frustrating extender problems. What a relief

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, but I had to contact support to install it, August 5, 2011
Audiophan (North of Boston, USA) - See all my reviews
My Netgear WGR614v9 router (without the WPS button) could not send a strong enough signal to my laptop and Xbox360. Both are quite a distance from the router - which is connected to my desktop computer in a different room.
Then I installed this device. The laptop signal went from 1 bar out of 5 to a solid 4 bars. And the signal on my Xbox went from zero to 3 out of 4 bars. Overall, this device surprised me at how well it does what it is supposed to do.
But, installing it was a bit of a challenge. The installation instructions I downloaded were confusing. So I contacted Netgear support by email, and the next day they sent me a different set of instructions - and which worked like a charm. Basically, it required connecting the device via ethernet cable to my laptop, then entering the web page address that was noted in the instructions. This is an internal web address, and not an online site. After the installation was complete, I unplugged the ethernet cable at both ends. Then I swapped wireless network connections on my laptop from the original network it had been connecting to, to the new Range Extender network that was created. I did the same for my Xbox.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Works well if you are lucky and have some patience!, August 3, 2011
Well, I did not buy this product from Amazon. I got it two days ago from a big brand computer store near my workplace, since I was given last minute notice by my family that we needed WIFI signal in our basement ASAP for new equipment. Normally I would research on Amazon.com ahead of time to find the best items. How horrified I was when I saw the number of 1 and 2-star ratings on this product when I got back to my work desk after my lunch break!

I thought maybe I could beat the odds and have a smooth setup and operation of this unit when I got home that night. I am an expert with computers and pretty good at computer networking, so I figured all the complainers were just technical newbies. How I was mistaken of my fellow Amazonians.

Here were the difficulties that I encountered setting up this unit:

1) Terrible instruction manual - The manual is just a flimsy little pamphlet. There are "only" 4 steps. However, there are 14 FAQ's to troubleshoot the various steps.

2) Poor user interface and instructions in browser setup wizard - there is no way to reverse previous settings without restarting the wizard and the screens would sometimes freeze when accepting my input, or return error messages that did not offer resolution methods.

3) Establishing a connection from my laptop to the extender was simple, but it took forever for my extender to connect to my main router. Ironic thing is the extender recognized the presence of my router since it sniffed out the router's broadcasted SSID. The router to extender connection status lights did not light up at first no matter how close or far away I placed the extender. I only got it to work properly when changing my router's security type from WPA to WPA2 (I subsequently read that this unit works with WEP and WPA2, it baffles me why it would not work with WPA which is something in between and so common).

4) After setting up this extender properly and finally getting it to work, it seemed to only allow 2 laptops to connect to it. When trying to connect additional laptops the extender network would not accept the same password and security settings used by the other computers!

5) Yesterday, which is a day after I bought this unit, all wireless connections to this extender failed. Had to unplug and replug for the unit to work, which now seems to accept many connections to it! (Haven't tested the max number of devices before it will start hiccuping again).

OVERALL RESULT: Most of my networking equipment has been with Linksys, so this was my first shot with Netgear. I am disappointed that such a simple equipment was such a hassle to set up and function properly, I am not sure if I can trust Netgear products again. Although it hasn't caused any problems today, I am seriously considering exchanging this product with a Powerline network connection instead. I advise those who are impatient and seek reliability to stay away from this item.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 11:51:44 AM PDT
Hi M. Weng,

We're glad to hear that the extender is working for you as of this time, but we'd like to hear more about the issues/hiccups you experienced on the way. It would also be helpful for our technicians to know some more details about your setup so they can diagnose what happened during your installation steps.

Please contact us directly at amazon@netgear.com so we can learn more and help you get the most from your extender.

Regards, NETGEAR Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This device, August 3, 2011
I live in several locations and nearby public wifi shops like coffee shops and hambuger places. At home I only receive about one to zero bars on my laptop. I placed the device in an area where I had one bar and BAM! fast internet access. The signal got amplified a lot and the speed was very good. I ended up buying four of these and with one of them I made a directional wifi by hooking it up to the front of a satelite dish just using duct tape and the dish, now at my second location where I only found two networks I found ten. If you go to you tube and type wifi dish you will see many people using usb sticks attached to the front of a dish. well instead of attaching a usb wifi stick attach the range extender there. I did it with ducttape and aim in the direction you think the wifi signal is coming from. This is does require some setup time bc since its directional you may need to move it around to you find the signal you like. So at my second location I aimed the in the direction of the public wifi coffee shop and Bam wifi signal. This device has so many other features that make it nice it you can connect directly to it or use its built in wifi. you can make you extender independently secure from the public wifi so no one uses your extender. Also you can give your extender a unique name from the wifi ap that giving you internet. This device is very nice, but initially it will require some work to set up properly

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre product and meager warranty, July 31, 2011
Unlike the warranties of other wireless products, such as the 12 months from Cisco/Linksys, this has only a 6 months warranty, after which you either fork over more money than you should, or you get no help at all. I hooked up wireless cameras to the Netgear extended network, but at least once a day, the cameras lost the connection, having nothing to do with the cameras themselves. Each time, I had to unplug and then plug in the Netgear extender, which rendered the cameras virtually useless.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not work out of the box, July 29, 2011
I have been setting up networks at home and work for 20 years and have never encountered anything so difficult to set up.

First of all, WPS did not work out of the box. This may be due to the firmware being were out of date. I had to connect via ethernet to set up. Following setup, I could no longer access the extender using any of the user manual instructions. I had to check my router logs, and go in via the extender's IP address. When I did this, it went through its initial setup all over again.

After an hour of setup (should have taken 2 minutes), I upgraded the firmware, and WPS is working. The signal is strong, but I get random disconnects.

If I had it to do over again, I would NOT have bought this extender.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 1:15:17 PM PDT
Hi John,

We apologize for the troubles you had and would like to help you get the extender working perfectly. It sounds like you are very knowledgeable about networking and have completed the proper steps, including a firmware upgrade, which often solves issues like this.

If you're still experiencing random disconnects, please contact our technicians directly at amazon@netgear.com, and provide them with the details regarding your setup so they can help diagnose what is happening.

Regards, NETGEAR Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried many things, this worked!, July 28, 2011
ActiveScott (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
My uncle lives next door to my grandma and my uncle has a 802.11g router we were trying to get to work in her house. I tried an external antenna (which as it turns out wouldn't fit the router) and even a high-end 802.11n router instead without any luck. I put one of these in the garage and it made a HUGE difference. Took 10 minutes to setup and extended the range dramatically from the garage to inside the house (maybe another 50-75 feet). I am a huge fan of this product and will recommend it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, July 25, 2011
I use to lose wifi signal to my laptop all the time as well when streaming Netflix. I now get 5 bars signal strength where I used to get only 2,and no buffering issues while streaming videos.

Someone wrote that this unit does not work with WEP encryption. I find it works just fine with WEP.

Set up took a few tries,but once that was done,it works well.

1.0 out of 5 stars THis does not work with Netgear routers, July 22, 2011
I bought this although the Netgear router that I purchased was supposed to work over a very wid1e area in and around my home. It did not so my IT guy said to get an extender. I bought this after making sure it was compatible with my router. After 3 hours of set up and discussions with Netgear, I found, as did they, that it was not compatible. A probem - the tech said - with every one of them. Ridiculous waste of time. Only good thing is that it is easy to return things and Amazon is great!

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 11:10:14 AM PDT
Hi Gregory,

We're surprised to hear that you were told this device would not be compatible with your NETGEAR router. We'd like to get the details and help you get this set up and running--a firmware update or similar solution could help.

Please contact us at amazon@netgear.com, and provide the support ticket number you were given as well, so we can look into this further.

Regards,