1,856 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!
I have a Wireless N router (Linksys WRT160N V2) at one end of my house where my main Desktop PC is located. I bought a new laptop which i use 95% of the time at the other FAR end of my home and the signal i got was poor to fair.
Published on June 17, 2011 by Mark Lawson

This unit does what it claims. I purchased one of these at Best Buy yesterday and hooked it up.

My modem/router is at the other end of my house so I turned on my iPad and my iPod and checked the signal in my front bedroom. I was getting only 1 out of three bars on both devices.

After I plugged in the Netgear wifi extender and set it up, which is...
Published on December 6, 2011 by Jazz Fan in PA

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, but it offers a slower data stream at the same time., December 6, 2011
This review is from: NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender - Wall Plug Version (WN3000RP) (Personal Computers)

After I plugged in the Netgear wifi extender and set it up, which is very easy by the way, I was able to receive three out of three bars on both my iPad and my iPod in the exact same location where previously I could only obtain one out of three bars. So the extender does what it claims, it extends the range of your wireless router so that the signal you receive is "stronger" than it was before.

Now, here's the catch. When you route your wifi signal from your modem/router to the Netgear extender it will improve the signal strength as my results have proven from above. The problem is that the actual speed of the extended signal is SLOWER than the original signal from your modem/router!! This is very deceiving, perhaps unintentionally by Netgear. It even makes a stement in the manual for the Netgear extender that says something to the effect that you should only use the extender in situations when you have either no signal or one that is very poor as the actual data speed is slower when using the extender.

One of the main reasons that I bought this was to boost the wifi signal that my Sony Bravia TV receives for streaming Netflix movies. With my current modem/router setup I was receiving three out of five bars signal strength, 60%. When I accessed the Netgear extender my signal strength jumped up to five out of five bars, 100% signal strength, BUT the overall speed of that signal was 5 to 6 times slower and actually caused my Netflix streaming to buffer which never happens when I am just using my wifi connection without the Netgear extender.

So basically, if you are looking to increase the speed of your wifi signal to increase performance of things like Netflix, Blockbuster or other streaming media this extender is NOT the way to go for the reasons mentioned previously. Yes, it WILL increase your signal strength but it will NOT increase your speed but it will actually cause it to be slower.

So to sum it all up. Buy this and use this ONLY if you are not able to pick up a signal or have a very poor signal, one bar, and this will allow you to connect your wifi enabled devices. Do NOT buy this device with the expectation that it will increase or even use your current modem speed because it will NOT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, June 17, 2011
Mark Lawson (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
I was looking to upgrade my signal quality to my bedroom as much as possible and purchased 3 different wireless N routers trying to accomplish this. None of them got any better range. I returned each router and then searched for Wireless N Range Extenders and came across this at Staples.
I wasn't too sure it would work but boy was i pleasantly surprised!

I bought it, took it home and had it installed in about 10 mins.
I placed it about half-way of my home and then went and connected my laptop and BAM! Excellent signal strength with 300.0 connection speed!
I am very happy with this product so far.

Highly recommended for those needing extended coverage of your current wireless setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with a WNDR3700v2, June 10, 2011
I have been pleasantly surprised with this extender. My WNDR3700 is in the basement next to a large metal work bench and under a lot of metal piping. All of this interference creates a deadzone on the other side of the first floor in the two bedrooms. The house is wired, but this is really annoying for iPads and laptops. I was considering running some longer CAT5e and putting the router in the middle of the basement on a wall, but I tried this extender first.

It's a much more expensive solution than $6/50' of CAT5e (monoprice.com), but I also wanted to extend the WiFi out into the backyard. I plugged the WN3000RP into the wall, waited for the green ready light, pressed the WPS button on the WNDR3700, held down the WPS button on the WN3000RP, and the connection was made. I had a new network named MySSID_EXT with the same security and passphrase.

I tested it out with INSSID on my laptop and my WiFi Analyzer app on my phone. I wandered the house checking the signals. In the bedroom I had a very weak signal from the router(or no signal)and an excellent signal from the extender. In the backyard, I had no signal from the router and a still excellent signal from the extender. Speed tests showed no real difference in speed, but Netgear says you should expect some reduction in speed. It could impact video streaming or file sharing, but I haven't noticed any issues.

I would really like to see an extender like this that supports 5Ghz, but 2.4 is just fine for what I needed. I also don't have a lot of other networks nearby.

The house is 1,700 sq. feet on the first floor and the extender provides a signal everywhere. The backyard is fairly small, but I can go about 75' to my patio and still have an excellent signal (that's about 140' from the extender through a wall. The extender is placed at the edge of the deadzone, as Netgear says it should be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Home Placement of Netgear Universay Range Extender, June 12, 2012
Michael J. Hoctor (Gainesville, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I researched and read the reviews on this item before buying it from Amazon using my prime account. I was concerned about the number of people who stated the product stopped working or had to be reset after installation. However what I found out was that if you put the Range Finder too far away from your wireless router, then it would indeed stop finding the routers signal. I put the Range Extender too far away from the router at first and it did need to be reset because it lost my router's signal.
As soon as I placed the Netgear Range Extender BETWEEN my router and the distance I wanted the Range Extender to expand my wireless signal it worked perfectly. So my suggestion to those having to reset the signal on the Range Extender is to place the Extender closer to your wireless router, and then your signal will be strong and you will be able to use wireless devices at greater distances away from your router then you could before installing the Netgear Universal Range Extender.
I highly recommend this product, if installed correctly distance wise, it DOES extend your range for wireless devices in your house, and it is extremely easy to set up.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work as promised..., September 12, 2011
Swede-o-phile (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm a highly advanced user; my home network is entirely Linux based or embedded systems, I've been the CIO of a major corporation, and I understand the ins and outs of software development and networking. My setup at home requires I extend the range of my wifi network to cover my house. It's too large for one router to reach, so I picked up this unit for its small size and supposed ease of use.

Getting the unit initially up and running was fine - it was a no-brainer to add it to my existing WiFi network, provided by a DLink (DIR-655) router. So far, so good - setup really _is_ easy. I then moved the unit to a suitable location where there's adequate signal from the router and also where it can adequately cover the expanded space.

Unfortunately, the easy setup was the only positive feature of this unit.

The primary issue is that the WN3000RP locks up all the time and fails to route packets. After running for anywhere from 8 hours to a couple of days, it fails to maintain connectivity between the primary wireless network ("A") and its extended network ("B"). I can associate to the network "B" with a device, but it will not pass any traffic off to A. It's like the device has a memory leak or crash in the routing app internally that causes it to lock up and stop passing packets back and forth. It seems relatively traffic dependent - streaming videos through the device will induce it sooner than just background network traffic (mDNS advertisements, SAMBA notifications, pings, etc).

The only fix is to unplug the WN3000RP and plug it back in, which gets it working for another couple of hours or days. Obviously, this is unacceptable... If, at the same time, I connect another device to my primary network, "A", that device has zero connectivity problems. That network's been up and stable for months at a time!

The other issue I have with this box is that it also does the stupidest thing I've ever seen - modify the MAC address of devices passing through the unit onto my primary network! Who thought that was a good idea? Not only does this produce MAC addresses that don't conform to the proper vendor ID range selection (since the first portion of the MAC address should identify the vendor of the network hardware), it makes it virtually impossible for me to provided reserved IP allocations properly for devices in my house that roam between the two networks, A and B.

If you have _any_ kind of sophistication with networking or computers, or if you are just a guy who likes to stream content (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime movies, etc), stay away until they fix the firmware in this device. NETGEAR clearly rushed this to market with no quality assurance testing and a ton of poor engineering choices along the way.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Sep 15, 2011 10:20:58 AM PDT
Hi Swede-o-phile,

We'd like to help with the problems you mention. Your detailed input would be very helpful for our technicians to track down and eliminate any potential issues like the ones you describe. Please feel free to email us at amazon@netgear.com if you wish, but we'll be passing this post on to our technicians as it stands as well.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Range Extender, June 8, 2011
After trying other range extenders and not being satisfied, I tried the Netgear Range Extender as a last resort before wiring the house. My wifi is set up at one end of the house and cannot get wifi at all in the kitchen and very low reception at the far end of the house. This range extender gives me 3 bars no matter where I am in the house. It is a fantastic product and by far the best on the market.

1.0 out of 5 stars So far -- no good!, December 25, 2011
This device, Netgear WN3000RP range Extender, advertises easy setup; CD-less installation, and no need to wire to install. well after 2 days I'm still stumped. It also says to be compatible with all routers including Verizon FIOS (Actiontec MI424WR). So I envy the dozens of reviewers here on Amazon that claim this to be "The Best".

The Actiontec does not support WPS (the "easy" setup path). So I followed the other path. Connected to the Netgear_EXT WiFi networked from my laptop; used the browser to access [...] and opened the Setup WIZARD. Walked through the 4 simple steps, and -- nothing! I repeated the process dozens of times, each time resetting the Extender back o the factory setup (pressing and holding the reset). I tried all possible security configurations WEP, WPA/WPA2. But all produced same results.

Going through the 4 steps, the Extender initially identifies my home (FIOS) WiFi network (mySSDI), and it does create a mySSID_Ext WiFi network (as expected). And moreover, all my devices (smartphone, laptop), can see and connect to this WiFi network. The Signal strength is Excellent. But this network does not appear to be able to talk to the Actiontec.

My Actiontec is set not to do MAC authentication; so this isn't an issue. But the Extender doesn't even show up on the FIOS Networked devices list (my laptop, Android phone, iPhone, Tablet, all do show up). So the Extender is unable to establish the communication link with the Actiontec.

The Netgear online Support seems to be crashing this weekend and I can not submit any questions.

If I resolve the issue -- I'll update this post. Otherwise -- if you use FIOS -- the WN3000RP is NOT your product.

UPDATE: Another reviewer below, gave me the solution -- he talked to tech support and was told that the WEP passphrase has to also go into the Key 1 field!
Now, this is NOT mentioned in any of the documentation. In fact, there is a button right there to automatically "Generate" Keys for Key1 through Key4 (the system compute the keys from the passphrase field). I have played with these keys for the past 2 days -- but it would have NEVER occurred to me to to insert the same passphrase into Key1!
So the good news -- it works now pretty well with the Actiontec FIOS.
Wow, I would have spend my life never realizing this by myself! No other Internet discussion site mentioned this (it must be the best kept secret)!

3.0 out of 5 stars Important Fix for non WPS users!, January 14, 2012
Brian Thornton (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
TL,DR summary: Enter your WEP passphrase into the Key 1 field, NOT into the "passphrase" field.

Thank goodness to a reviewer below who posted this. I've been struggling to get this to connect to my router for days. All attempts to find online solutions failed, most people report it working just fine and yet some others reported problems like mine.

When you first set up the machine to use WEP security to connect to your router, there are some boxes to enter your security settings. They are arranged as follows:

Passphrase:
Key 1:
Key 2:
Key 3:
Key 4:

And there is a little button next to the "Passphrase" box that says "generate key".

Okay, so what I was doing was typing my passphrase into the passphrase box (because, you know, that seemed like a good idea, since it says "passphrase" on it). And then it asked for a value in the key fields, so I hit the helpful-seeming-yet-actually-evil "generate key" button, and a little random number would appear in each of the Key boxes, and I'd hit okay. From there, everything seemed to work fine, it would claim to be connected to my router and yet no internet.

Following a suggestion from the reviewer below, I reset the extender, and this time I entered my router's passphrase into the KEY 1 field. I didn't enter anything into the other key fields. Once I did that, it worked! Connected to the internet, it's allowing us to run our Netflix through our Wii on the other side of the house from the base router, and it's great so far.

As for other comments on the router, I can't say, since I've only had it operational for 30 minutes now, but I felt the need to post in the hope of saving some other people from losing half a day of their lives to this like I did. The product itself might be solid, but I'm not going to rate it higher than "ok" because of the poor user interface and documentation having cost me most of a Saturday. If there are Netgear employees reading these reviews, you need to post this fix to your customer support forums IMMEDIATELY, because right now there is nothing posted about this and it's fairly frustrating to find my solutions to your product's technical problems through Amazon rather than through your own customer support site.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Play Nice with Actiontec 724WGR, June 23, 2011
First off this device works wonderfully as a range extender! I have minimal wifi coverage in my bedroom, due to its distance from the router, I cannot always connect my phone to the wifi and the connection speeds are slow and intermittent.

This device, placed in the same room that can barely reach the router, locks right onto the signal and gives the solid connection and speed that I thought I would never get in that room! Configuration was a breeze, and now I have 2 sources of wifi enveloping the house!

But the honeymoon was soon over, the next morning my device was connected to the netgear WN3000RP, but showed no active internet connection... The status lights on the repeater were all lit up, but when i tried to reconnect my mobile device to this WN3000RP, I got stuck on "acquiring IP address"..

So I checked out my home router, the Actiontec 724WGR (which has shown exactly 0 problems in 2 years of ownership), and the internet connection light is off. Reboot the router and both devices work fine again...

For a few hours. Rinse and repeat several times, update the Actiontec's firmware, attempt to update the netgear's but there is nothing.. Problem persists.

Contacted 1888netgear, spent 10 minutes registering the product with "tech support", who then did not bother to try troubleshooting at all, he simply suggested I exchange it as it may have been a problem with the device... "Thank you for calling Netgear, have a nice day! *click* "

tl;dr This product works great when it works, but knocks out the home network (Actiontec 724WGR) after a few hours of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add Me To The List - This Thing Is Great, June 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
And yes, I got this through Vine. But I also give product's good and bad sides and will here as well - though the bad isn't that bad and the good is amazing. This unit has lots of advanced features if you want them and the good manners to not make you have to use them if you don't want to or if you don't know how to.

Like they say, it extends wireless coverage. If you have a dead spot where you want to use something with a wireless connection, this is a great solution. But it also has an RJ-45 (Ethernet) connector on it so you can use this to plug in items that don't have wireless capability but do have wired. This unit will give them wireless capability. Very cool.

It really is easy to set one of these up. It's a pretty compact case - about the size of a large wall-wart with the antennas already attached. All you do is take the thing out of its box and plug it in. If you have a wireless router/switch with a WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) button on it, all you need to do is press the WPS button on this and on the router and they will automagically connect.

I connected this to a Linksys router running Tomato firmware. The setup was as easy as plugging it in, telling my computer to connect to the WN3000RP with the network name NETGEAR_EXT (I think that's what it was), and then putting into a browser window. That gets you the basic setup where you can give it the settings to connect to your wireless network. Again, if your router has WPS capability, you don't even need to do this. Just press a button.

On my Linksys I run with MAC address filtering so people have to know more than the the network name and password. Until I turned off the filtering the WN3000RP wouldn't completely connect. That is exactly as that is supposed to work. So into the Linksys to add the WN3000RP to the allowed device list and it connected right up. It was like hitting the jackpot too.

Once the WN3000RP connected, it enabled all the fun settings on this thing and it is very configurable. Really nothing exotic for a wireless device, but all the things you need if you want to do more than a plain vanilla setup and lock down your network.

SSID broadcast, MAC address filtering, connected device list (with the intriguing heading of "Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here)"), the ability to set a static IP, set gateway, DNS, DHCP, subnet, etc. It's all there, plus saving off or restoring from a config file if you wish. And firmware updates. DHCP isn't configurable in this firmware version (V1.0.0.12_1.0.12)- just on or off.

Also, the "Wireless intruders also show up here" bit is no joke. The ability to inspect that list will let you see who might be interloping. It's a great diagnostic. But the WN3000RP lets you lock it down where you should never see a interloper at all if you so choose.

The wireless extender signal will accommodate multiple clients and as mentioned, the wired RJ-45 port will accommodate wired network devices and even the uplink or WAN ports of another router/switch if you wanted to use this to bridge networks wirelessly or turn a wired network security camera into a wireless one.

I checked power requirements and it pulls just under 3 watts. That works out to about $3-4 per year at current rates and about 30 pounds of CO2 per year if you leave it on continuously.

I can't yet comment on durability, but for features it's an A+++. It's super easy to set up. It's fast. Seems to have fine range. I'm impressed.

The downs - inability to fully configure its DHCP server and that may or may not get "fixed" down the road. At least for now you can't.

This is a very cool unit and on my network, it's going to be used to bridge a wired network netcam into the wireless world.

This is a clever unit with lots of configurables, nice sleek design, and is just very cool. Five stars solid.