5.0 out of 5 stars Great extra Coverage!! Great product!!
Published on December 8, 2012 by J. Tregaro

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was faster, but still works well regardless
Published 23 months ago by ijcast

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was faster, but still works well regardless, January 13, 2013
ijcast (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR N600 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender - Wall-plug/Desktop with Airplay (WN3500RP) (Personal Computers)
The Netgear WN3500RP eliminated all the dead wifi-dead-spots in my home. The set up is very easy. It was literally up and running within 10 minutes. Areas of the house that used to have low reception now had "full bars" according to my Ipad. The trick of course is to find a place in your house that still has a good signal but is close enough to the "dead spots" that it will cover those areas once it's turned on.

Dual Broadcast:
At its default settings this range extender operates like two separate wifi signals for your home. For example, I have my main router's broadcast going out first (upstairs in my home office). Then once I placed this range extender downstairs (living room), it connects to my router's signal, and then broadcasts its own pair of signals - one in 2.4ghz, and one in 5ghz. These two additional signals is what you connect your streaming devices and game consoles to (Roku, Apple TV, Xbox, PS3 etc). The 5ghz band is the faster of the two signals, but only newer devices seem to use this. That is why the 2.4ghz band is also broadcast - so that all your devices can utilize the range extender's coverage.

Fastlane Mode:
The WN3500RP also has "Fastlane" mode where it dedicates its resources to only one band (you choose which band) and by doing so, increases the speed and performance of the range extender. In my case, I chose to turn on the Fastlane mode on the 5ghz band, and for one of my devices (the Roku 2XS) I directly connected it to the Range Extender with an Ethernet cable (the WN3500RB has an Ethernet port). Of course, this meant that the 2.4ghz broadcast wasn't going out from the range extender anymore. I figured that was ok because I use the Roku to stream video the most, and if other devices needed to use the 2.4ghz band in the future, I could always turn off the Fastlane mode and turn the 2.4ghz band back on.

Speed is good, but I wish it were faster:
There is a noticeable difference between the speed of the router's signal and the signal from the range extender. For instance, if I connect my Ipad wirelessly to my main router instead of the range extender, I typically notice a 20%-30% faster download time, even with Fastlane mode turned on. But since my HDTV is too far from the router, the range extender is the only choice I have to stream video to the HDTV. Yes, it's a small gripe. But since this range extender is typically more expensive than most, it's somewhat disappointing.

Setup:
To set the range extender up, I followed the user's manual and used a laptop connected by Ethernet to my home network (you could do this wireless as well). At this default setting, the range extender works perfectly well - broadcasting both the 2.4ghz as well as the 5ghz band. But I wanted to run the Fastlane mode which meant I needed access to the configuration menu. In order to do this, I first had to use a device that was on the range extender's network (in this case, my Iphone). Then I could easily sign into the range extender's configuration menu and adjust settings to the Fastlane mode. (Devices not on the wireless network of the range extender couldn't seem to do this). This wasn't explained very well in the manual included. I had to actually go to Netgear's forums to find this out.

If you're looking for a good range extender that has dual band functionality, this is a good one. Just know that that accessing the configuration menu can be a little confusing after the initial installation. But once it's up and running it works quite well. Netgear even supplies a stand and separate power cable so that you can have it free-standing instead of plugged into a wall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great extra Coverage!! Great product!!, December 8, 2012
J. Tregaro (Chatsworth, CA) - See all my reviews
I am a Taskrabbit and someone needed assistance with Wifi coverage in their home, they had great coverage downstairs but when u go upstairs to the second floor, the whole 2nd floor was a dead spot, so I purchased this Netgear range extender, SUPER EASY to hook up, you just plug it in to the outlet push the WPS button on both the router and the Extender and it's hooked up, it copies the wifi Key from the router so all you gotta do is change the wireless connection on your personal device to connect to the extender and it works like a charm, the speed is super fast on the 5GHZ channel, I HIGHLY recommend this device to all that need extra coverage in the home or business and there are no wires to attach to anything so it's a clean setup, it even comes with the option to slide the plug off the device and put a power cord in the device, such a great price. I have had many Routers and extenders and this is the best Extender I ever purchased. BUY THIS!!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, decent wifi, December 27, 2012
Fillmoe (San Francisco, California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the third wifi signal extender we've tried in our attempts to extend wifi to the rear part of our house. We have a long, narrow row house with lath and plaster walls covered by plasterboard, and our router sits at the very front of the house. The extender is a compact little box that comes with two adapters, one for a direct wall plug-in, and the other for setting the extender on a desktop. Installation was a snap, even for me, a techno-dinosaur. Simply plug it in; wait for the power light to turn green; press the WPS button, and within 2 minutes press the WPS button on your router. They flash at each other for a minute or so, then you have wifi. (There are also instructions for routers that use the WEP protocol.) The extender creates a new network with the same name as your existing network, with an extension showing 2GEXT and/or 5GEXT depending on the connection you're making. Enter the same password as the existing network, and you're ready to go.

There are lights indicating the two bands, 2.4GHz or 5GHz. They shine green, yellow, or red, indicating strength of signal. In our house, the 2.4 GHz light is shining red for a weak signal, but Netgear's idea of a "weak" signal is my idea of the strongest signal we've ever received at the rear of our house, a distance of about 70 feet, and we are extremely happy with this device.

My husband has used it to experiment with the music streaming feature from our stereo, and it works fine. But he will have to buy another one for that. A user can also arrange a printer for wireless operation, if the printer is not already wifi enabled.

Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and very handy in many different situations, November 12, 2012
Great product in many ways.
1) Wifi extender to have wifi even at the back of the garden or in the darkest corners of the house which can't get wifi through the usual router
2) DLNA ability to play music from any device on the HiFi sound set : from all our Android devices, iPhones, Tablets, and even through the PC using WMP or iTunes via Airplay. You can play any music stored on any devices connected to the network without getting out of your chair. Really nice feature
3) Printer server
...

The best thing is its small size which means if you want to use it as a wifi extender in a different place as where you'd use it normally as a music DLNA "player", it's so easy : just unplug it and replug where you want.
All in all, a fantastically versatile tool !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Signal Boost - Highly Recommend, February 5, 2013
I am not a highly technical person so I relied upon others' reviews of this product and I am glad I did. First of all this may be obvious to some but it was not to me, if you do not have a dual band gateway or router buying this will not give you dual band capability. You must first have a dual band gateway or router to support the dual band feature. With that said, this works well with my gateway and it is not dual band. I live in a 3 story loft with cement ceilings and floors and a lot of exposed steel. So my gateway was not sending adequate signal to all three levels. I purchased two of these but only opened one. I tried it on the first floor and it was so easy to set up the handshake between the extender and the gateway using the WPS feature that I had a noticeable instant boost. Literally I went from a one bar to 4-5 bars on the first and second levels. My gateway is in my loft on the third floor. I did not even need the second extender because the first one boosted my signal so well that I returned that one to Amazon without issue. The only thing I will say about this extender is that it does get very hot. It also sticks out from the outlet quite a bit so you probably do not want to put it in a hallway or a high traffic area where someone could easily brush up against it. With that being said though I could not be happier with this product. I also love that it does not have the goofy antennas. It is sleek and well designed. Although the lights are bright they are not distracting and are actually functional because you can monitor how well the signal is being received. It is so easy to use and set up and really boosts the signal beyond my expectations. I highly recommend to anyone who has insufficient signals from your existing gateway or router to purchase this. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Effective, January 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I bought this to fill in a couple of dead spots in the house. I find it to work well in extending the wireless signal.

Use:

The device is supposed to be placed about 1/2 between the desired end point and the router. The extender shows up in the list of wireless access points as whatever name you already have, with "_EXT2G" or _EXT5G" tacked on to the end. I did not notice any speed decrease when I used the extender rather than the regular router, although the manual indicated it does in fact run slower than a direct connection. The new connection uses the same WPA password as the normal router.

Pro:

+ WPS capability. I was able to push a button on the extender and a button on the router, and after a minute, everything was connected. Manual setup is also provided.

+ Supports full encryption using WPA. Older encryption is also supported.

+ Fastlane technology - connects to the router with one band and uses the other band for connecting devices. Great in my setup since the 5Ghz band is not being used. This has to be set up manually.

+ USB 2.0 port to connect media.

+ Wired Ethernet connector for gaming consoles, TV, etc. The connector is 10/100 rather than Gigabit.

+ Ability to connect a printer to the wireless via USB. ReadyShare software must be downloaded, and then used to access the printer. My printers are all networked already, so I did not test this function.

+ 3.5mm stereo jack to connect a speaker. The device supports DLNA DMR function to stream music to the router. I did not test this function because I don't use my network to stream music.

+ Able to plug into the wall, or use the supplied power cable and stand to put the device on a table or shelf. I used the wall connector.

+ Front panel indicators for 2.4 Ghz connected, 5 Ghz connected, connected to router, and security status (also used to indicate WPS setup in progress).

Con:

- The USB port would be better if it supported USB 3.0.

- Speeds with extender are not as fast as a direct connection. I list this as a negative, but in point of fact, any connection is better than no connection, which would be the case if no extender was present!

- This will extend the range of your wireless, but not by more than about 50% further (it can't be placed far enough away from the router to double the range). This is pretty much a function of the technology, not the extender design; one needs a good signal to extend.

Summary:

If you need a little more range, this is a great choice. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely simple setup and good connectivity (4.5 stars), January 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tested the Netgear WN3500RP WiFi Range Extender with a Linksys WiFi router, a DSL connection, and several Apple mobile devices. The great thing is that a long review is unnecessary here because, well, the Range Extender just works.

If your WiFi router has WPS capability, as most routers do these days, it only takes two button presses to configure and register the Range Extender. Then you're ready to get rid of those WiFi dead spots in your house, office, or business. No messing around with CDs, DVDs, or System Preference settings! All my devices immediately saw the Extender and were able to connect without any problems or troubleshooting.

I think the WN3500RP is very close to deserving a five star-rating. The device's enclosure is compact and unobtrusive. Netgear provides both a wall outlet mount AND a desktop base that allow users a great deal of flexibility in physical placement. There is a power switch, a full set of indicator LEDs, including signal strength indicators that are very useful when choosing a location for the Extender, a USB 2.0 port, an Ethernet port, and a 3.5mm audio jack. The only flaw is that the Extender emits a high-pitched tone when it's turned off. To my ears, the tone is barely audible in a quiet room and imperceptible with any amount of ambient noise but it may be a consideration in silent environments or for sensitive people.

Bottom line: a half-star deduction for the high-pitched noise but otherwise a fine product. 4.5 stars, rounded up to 5 due to good design, functionality, and user experience.

------
Update (June 2013): no problems to report.

Update (September 2013): no problems to report.

Update (January 2014): no problems to report.

Update (June 2014): no problems to report. Now also using with WiFi devices made by HP and Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not set it to work, January 21, 2014
Waste a lot of time and could not get this piece to work. Even my smart IMS colleague could not understand why that piece could not work. paid $100 and have to put aside. You could not get support from Netgear- no such service, or you have to pay for support.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effectively extends WiFi range to a significant degree, November 24, 2013
Length:: 3:47 Mins

My house is not huge by any stretch of the imagination, only about 1800 sq ft. My office is located on the 2nd floor and even with a good quality wireless router (I was using a Netgear AC1750 - R6300), I can run in to some 2 bar WiFi areas in my house. And outside on the patio it's about the same. Immediately upon installing the Netgear Wi-Fi Range Extender, all areas of my house had a solid 5 bar signal strength on either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequency.

Using a signal strength app on my Nexus 7 tablet, I was able to easily compare the signal strengths of my wireless router to that of the Netgear Range Extender. As I reached areas where the router signal was weakening, the Netgear Range Extender signal was strong. So for me, in my situation I suddenly had perfect signal anywhere in my house and outside on the patio as well.

Installation was a breeze. It was easy in part because of the clear setup instructions provided.

You have two choices for powering the range extender; you can either use the provided AC cord with docking station (no power wart necessary as the power supply is built-in to the range extender) or you can attach an AC plug directly to the range extender and plug the unit in to a wall outlet. That's how I choose to use it but it is kind of bulky and sticks out quite a bit and is also prone to pulling out of the plug receptacle if installed so that the ports are facing up rather than pointing down (it's top heavy in that orientation.).

The range extender has red/green LED"s that assist you in putting it in the optimal location to maximize it's potential. I should say the LED"s assist you assuming you are not red/green colorblind, which I am. So for me they were of no assistance whatsoever. But in my situation, it wasn't really a big deal for me since my house was small enough and I had the assistance of the signal strength app on my Nexus 7.

Once you are up and running you have lots of options. An advantage to this range extender is that it is dual-band which means you can simultaneously use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands (assuming your router is also dual-band).

More advantages: I use Apple computers and can use Airplay to stream and play music through a connected speaker through the range extender (the range extender has a 3.5mm audio out port for this purpose.) You also can hook up and wirelessly print to a connected USB printer because the range extender includes a USB port for this purpose. Incidentally, you can use the USB port to charge a smartphone or other such device that charges via USB. There is also a fast ethernet port which enables you to attach a device such as a ROKU to the range extender.

I have noticed that the throughput is not as fast with the range extender as when connecting to the Wireless Router. But that is because of technical reasons and not because the range extender is deficient. It's not that big of a hit in my experience using it and because of the benefit of having a strong signal with a performance hit rather than a weak signal with no performance hit, I'll take the former.

I have no real complaints with the range extender. It has solved a signal issue in my house.

For what it's worth, I recently got a Netgear AC1900 - R7000 and it's superior performance has eliminated the need for me to use the range extender.

I was provided a sample of the range extender from Netgear for testing and review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for my back yard access!, April 19, 2013
I have a Netgear WNDR4500 N900 (dual band) home router which will just barely work with things like Netflix in my back yard shed which is literally 115 ft. away and through 3 drywall type walls. I bought this WN3500RP wifi extender with the intent of improving my backyard reception to eliminate dropouts and freeze ups watching Netflix or TV over Ethernet.

I tried installing the extender in 2 places. The first being in my house, as close to the backyard house wall as possible. Since 2.3 MHz band reaches farther than the 5 MHz band, I set up the "Fastlane" feature to use 5 MHz to the router, and the 2.4 Ghz band to go the 100 feet to the back yard. This improved the reception a bit. I got better results when I moved the extender to the shed (I have electricity in the shed), and used 2.4Ghz between the extender and the home router 115 feet and 3 walls away (4 if I count the shed plywood wall). I used the 5ghz between my iphone and ipad to the extender. Using an app called "speedtest" (speedtest.net), I was measuring 10 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload. This is plenty enough to watch Netflix, or my cable tv over Ethernet. The performance when I connected directly to my home router from the shed was in the 0.1 to 3 Mbps download range.

One other improvement, which increased the extender download speed from 10 to 14Mbps, was to lay the extender on its side. Too bad it didn't come with a stand for horizontal positioning. I am totally happy with this extender.

I haven't tried the airplay or print server functions, but If they work well, I know this product is worth the price. This is coming from a guy who had previously bought that capability, payIng $100 for an apple airport express, and $50 for a USB to Ethernet printer connection device.