Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:37 Mins
In a nutshell: I plugged one into an ethernet switch and the other to a computer I set up in the kitchen and it worked beautifully. Zero configuration, no button pushing, just an instantaneous low latency connection to my home network. I'm impressed.

Published on June 22, 2012 by Lon J. Seidman

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work
Published 11 months ago by washingtonnerd

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, ideal for web surfing but not high volume file transfers, June 22, 2012
This review is from: NETGEAR Powerline 200Mbps Nano Adapter - Starter Kit (XAVB2101) (Personal Computers)
Length:: 2:37 Mins

While the device is capable of 100 megabits in each direction, you're likely to get less than that speed. Mine came back 'red' meaning I was getting less than 50 megabits per second. But considering most home Internet connections max out around 20 megabits or so you should see the full range of speed of your Internet connection. As such this is perfect for Blu Ray players, game consoles, DVRs, and other devices that require a dedicated ethernet connection. In some cases you may see better peformance out of this than you do out of your wireless connection.

Recommendation: For Internet usage definitely. Not recommended for high volume data transfers like video editing, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Plug & Play, fast, and secure alternative to WiFi networking., May 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Using power outlets to connect to or expand a home/office network is simple and convenient. This newer version of Netgear's Powerline AV 200 "Nano" adapter kit (XAVB2101) piqued my interest because I've used the NETGEAR Powerline AV 200 "Ultra" Adapter Kit (XAVB2001) since August 2010.

Likes:
>All Netgear Powerline adapters are backwards compatible with older models.
>Connect to all devices with Ethernet connections (those without built-in Wi-Fi capability).
>Very simple installation for the Nano (just like the Ultra) : Plug one Ethernet cable into a network modem or router, plug the other end into a Powerline AV 200 adapter that's plugged into an electrical outlet. DON'T plug the adapter into a surge protector or power strip outlet; signal will be degraded or it won't work at all.

Plug another Powerline adapter into another outlet (in the same building) wherever you choose. Connect via Ethernet cable to your computer, Xbox360, PS3, Blu-Ray player, TiVo, Slingbox, DVR, or broadband capable Smart TV, etc. Voilà, home network connection and the Internet.

No software installation, no setups, and no configurations necessary. A Resource CD is included if you want to bother with it.

Three lights: Power, Powerline (indicates network connectivity and signal strength), and Ethernet (broadband traffic). Green lights mean optimal conditions for all three.
>Easy to expand home network without the shortcomings of WiFi network (interference with other wireless devices using the same 2.4Ghz frequency, security concerns even with WPA, degradation of signals due to range or obstructions, etc.)
>Nano is more compact (approx. 2"x2.5"x1.25") than the old Ultra (approx. 2.5"x3.25"x1.5") but when plugged into the lower outlet (of the typical 2-outlet wall plate), both Nano and Ultra still keep the upper outlet accessible for other devices.
>So far all of my Powerline adapters at various locations (upstairs/downstairs) around the house have >80 Mbps link rates. No problems when streaming or downloading online movies and videos in HD.
>The Nano and Ultra adapters only have one Ethernet port each but I simply use a NETGEAR FS608 8-Port Fast Ethernet Switch so multiple devices can connect to the internet using just one Powerline adapter.
>Energy saver feature: auto shut-down when idle.
>There's even a security feature for folks in dorm rooms or apartments with shared wiring. Push the security button on one adapter after lights are green and then press the security button on the other adapter within two minutes. Press the factory reset button to return to default setting. It's questionable how far the range of one's home network extends using the Powerline adapters but I still use the Security feature in my single family house as a precautionary measure.

Dislikes:
>The strength of power outlet link rates will be highly dependent upon the quality of electrical wiring in the office/home, the range from router to adapter, and other electrical devices/appliances interference. The Powerline adapters may not work optimally with all outlets.
>At $82.80 (at time of review) for a kit with two Powerline adapters, the costs can quickly add up when setting up a Powerline network in many rooms.

Bottom Line:
Other than the more compact size of the Nano, everything functions the same as the old Ultra. Compared to my 2.4Ghz wireless router where I have to change channels on a regular basis (too many 2.4Ghz wireless phones and routers everywhere), this Powerline connection is far more stable and secure using the Security feature. Connecting or expanding one's network is quick and painless. Enjoy!

*** Update Oct. 23, 2013. Price for this Powerline kit has dropped to an affordable $48.95.***

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite networking products of all time - improved, June 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I also have the predecessor that this is based on, the XAVB2001. It has been carrying the Internet connection rock-solid for several years. I cannot remember a single time when the connection was broken because of the powerline adapter. What makes it more impressive is that our house wiring is from the 1950s with plenty of potential for interference, but it is still rock-solid. This is much more reliable than WiFi.

This new XAVB2101 is a mini version, which looks nicer on the wall.

It's perfect for IP security cameras, or to connect devices that are just barely outside the reach of WiFi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a gamer, July 25, 2013
As a gamer, far more important than this device maintaining good speeds across the powerline was that it maintain good latency (ping times). I'm happy to report that I get nearly the same ping times connected to this device in another room as I did when connected directly to my router.

I connected my laptop (Win8, wi-fi turned off, Comcast internet) and ran a speedtest (speedtest(dot)net) against a server in a neighboring city:

Connected directly to my router: 19ms ping, 55.45mbps(down), 11.04mbps(up)
Connected to the Netgear Powerline AV 200 Nano: 22ms ping, 52.90mbps(down), 10.87mbps(up)

Setup, of course, is incredibly easy and takes all of 30 seconds.

Hope this helps someone - when I was looking to buy this, I was looking for latency numbers but couldn't find any.

PS - I have both Adapters connected to a Belkin surge protector. You do not have to plug this directly into a wall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plug & Play, but not backward compatible, November 13, 2012
With no firewall or password protection, the product was plug & play. It is smaller than its predecessor and crowds the plug less. No special skills or knowledge are required to install these things.
Downsides: These devices use a different communication protocol, and so are not backward compatible. So buy an extra pair for future expansion. They are still not compatible with an extension cord (with the exception of one location in our house).
Overall, a simple solution for an otherwise vexing problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Plug It In, May 31, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This product allows you to connect two ethernet (RJ45 cable) devices using your home's electrical wiring as the transfer medium. So if, for instance, you have a desktop that doesn't support wireless and you need to connect it to your router in another room, or your blu-ray player needs to connect to the Internet for updates, you can wire them in without having to string network cables down your hall.

The item consists of two powerline adapters (with two supplied RJ45 stright-through ether net cables). There are instructions, but I didn't read them. You simply plug each adapter into a wall socket (not an extension cord or surge protector!), run the ethernet cable to your computer or devices and you're good to go.

I tested the units by putting one in the bedroom, and one in the kitchen -- about as far apart as it is possible to get in my house. I connected the ethernet cables to two laptops and transferred a large video file from one to the other. My transfer program reported that I was getting 2.7 to 4.0 megabytes/sec (21-32 megabits/sec) which isn't bad, especially considering I had a large upload to my web site going at the same time over *another* pair of powerline adapters.

I will note that the box I received had been opened, and contained a note from the manufacturer addressed to the vine reviewer. I feel sure that means the units I was sent had been hand checked to make sure they were up to spec. I have no reason to think a normal off-the-shelf box would be any worse, but I just thought I should mention it.

At any rate, I have no problem recommending the product -- it works fine for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, August 12, 2013
I purchased this because it was well rated and a good price. After trying to get it to work for an hour I gave up and tried to call tech support. They said because this product is old, you have to send in proof of purchase to get any support. I decided to try searching online for the user manual which contains more information then the tiny paper included with the product. Sadly there was no manual on neatgear's site for this product. The problem I faced was the power line link light lit up showing it found a paired device but did not blink indicating the connection was established. A factory default reset on both devices did not help. I also tried plugging them in very close together but that also did not help. It seems strange that netgear has removed their online material for this despite still selling this product on amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got great speed, April 4, 2013
Robert Trebus (trebustribe@mindspring.com) - See all my reviews
Bought the 85MB/s model first and hooked it up to a lap top. It had trouble surfing websites with lots of pictures. Sometimes was fast ENOUGH other times not. Then found out from their website that they no longer make that model. I then bought this one and it has great speed for surfing and hooked my BlueRay up to it and downloads movies fast. It also powers itself down when not in use and tells you immediately if you plug it in an outlet with poor connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!! Fantastic alternative to Ethernet cords running all around your home., November 8, 2012
This is a great alternative to stringing Ethernet cable across your home.

I currently have 2 sets (4 devices in my home). The efficacy of Ethernet over Power (EoP) is largely based on the wiring of your home. These are plug and play devices and should require no real setup. The biggest 'rookie' mistake when using these devices is to have them plugged into a surge protector. You MUST plug these directly into the wall for them to work properly. MUST MUST MUST MUST. If you have issues beyond that, it is either due to poor wiring (you live in a v old home) or you do not have your networking devices configured properly. I have never had an issue with a Netgear EoP device. Never!!

I use Apple networking devices and I use Ethernet connections via EoP to create a roaming network. You could create a roaming network via wireless connections BUT you lose network speed when you do this AND you could be in a situation like mine where your networking devices are too far apart to talk to each other wirelessly.

This is my current set up:

I have 1 Time Warner Cable Modem which is plugged into an Apple Time Capsule. The Apple Time Capsule is my primary Wi-Fi Base Station.

I have 1 Ethernet port from Apple Time Capsule plugged into the back of the Netgear EoP device (1 of 4). The Netgear EoP device is plugged DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL. YOU MUST PLUG THIS DEVICE DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL. You should NEVER plug this into a surge protector or extension cord. (This is v important!)

From here, I have Netgear EoP device 2,3,4 in various locations of my home. Device 2 and 3 plug into separate Apple Airport Express devices that extend my wireless network throughout my home. Device 4 is plugged into my XBox which enables smooth video streaming for Amazon Prime Video and Netflix.

This solution is wonderful for me and could not be obtained without these Netgear EoP devices. They are also backwards compatible so if you buy a set now and need another set down the road you can use your old devices with your new ones.

Please see Article: HT4260 on the Apple search forum to learn how to set up your Apple devices to form a roaming network.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review, and I hope you found it helpful in making a purchase decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent throughput and stability in connection, May 26, 2012
J. Powell (Mid-Atlantic, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Length:: 1:23 Mins

Tested this on 2 devices and the speeds are almost as good as having a physical connection. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A WIRELESS NETWORK CARD, but much better.

Rate and Discover Movies