5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat it for PoE
My boss wanted us to be an all-Cisco shop, but for a 50 person company and with less than ten employees in this remote office, with less than 50% projected growth y-o-y, it didn't make sense to pay Cisco prices. We're using this as a PoE switch to power a dozen VoIP phones.
Published on February 23, 2013 by This Random Guy

2.0 out of 5 stars This switch is very buggy
Published 23 months ago by Gilbert Gutierrez

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat it for PoE, February 23, 2013
This review is from: NETGEAR ProSAFE FS728TP 24-Port Fast Ethernet PoE Smart Switch with 4 Gigabit Ports (Personal Computers)
This switch works well, it has a clunky web interface like any other SMB market switch, but who spends much time with that, beyond first setup?
Compared to the nearest Cisco, the Cisco SF200-24P Switch 24 10/100 Ports, Smart Switch, PoE, 2 Combo Mini-GBIC Ports, Warranty, One Year Tech Support - SLM224PTNA, this has more power per port, PoE on every port, and a higher max power output than any others I've found. And reasonaby priced. Fans weren't noticeable over the other server rack fans, admittedly not running at full PoE power.

5.0 out of 5 stars much better than the older unit of the same model, October 21, 2013
S. York (Tampa, Fl., USA) - See all my reviews
We have used these switches for our VoIP network in the office. We had a power even that knocked two out so I had to replace them. I was happy with the old units so I ordered the same model again. The old version was loud, it was the loudest unit in the rack, but these new ones are way quieter, as quiet as a PC. Overall this is a great POE switch that does what it is supposed to do. We ran the old ones for about 4 years with no issues, the only issue was because of the power even that knocked out almost everything on the network.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good POE Switch. All Ports are POE, October 19, 2012
Good Switch and priced right. The biggest advantage with this switch is that all 24 ports are POE. Most other switches in this price range only have 12 ports that are POE.

So if you have a small environment that needs POE, then this guy will do the job. Its not a high end switch and doesn't have a ton of features, but still a great POE switch for the money from a reputable brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, January 1, 2008
So far so good with this switch. I have always relied on Netgear for making solid products and I have not been let down yet. This switch was very easy to setup and get running. It's Gbit ports will come in handy when we upgrade our network in the future. This switch has all the features of much more expensive brands yet is simple enough even for novices. Try one, you will not regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good switch but turtle-slow web interface, September 5, 2013
With this, I was able to replace six 8-port switches and reduce clutter in my garage which serves as a hub for my network camera hobby. 18 of the 10/100 ports are in use, 14 of them using PoE, and 3 of the gigabit ports are in use. No problems at all with connectivity or transfer speeds. According to the web interface, I use about 50 watts of PoE during the day and just under 100 watts at night when all my cameras turn on their IR LEDs.

The web interface uses a ridiculously slow web server. When loading the administration pages, it can't seem to send faster than 10 KB/s and it appears to only allow one active network stream at a time. This is connected via gigabit ethernet but the web interface pages load almost as slow as if they were hosted via dialup! Minus one star for that. Fortunately, the web interface isn't something I foresee needing to use very often.

Coming from a consumer background where network switches are almost always silent, it is important to note that this one is not. It has at least two fans and they are most definitely audible. This isn't something you'd want to put in a room where silence is valued.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I needed it to be!, December 4, 2012
I'm not a techno, however, this switch is exactly what I needed to fix my failed switch made by 3Com. I'm hoping that this one lasts longer than my first one.

2.0 out of 5 stars This switch is very buggy, March 15, 2013
You would think that this switch would be very simple, and it should be. The software on the switch is very buggy specifically when it comes to DHCP. I cannot get the switch to obtain an iP address and whats worse, I lose access when I do. Netgear knows that to be an issue and the latest firmware (5.0.2.33) on Netgear's web site is supposed to address this issue. I installed it with no success at resolution. I had to program a static IP into the device to allow myself to access the device. (When the device is in DHCP mode, the device is accessible by its default IP, but as soon as it sees a DHCP server access is lost and it does not get an IP or even request one.)

I purchased this switch to simply power some PoE phones for a customer and while I was able to get this to work with some effort, I would not recommend this switch for anyone who has limited experience. Small offices that would tend to use this switch have flat networks and just need a simple switch to connect devices and in the case of a PoE switch power their devices. Why Netgear adds so much complication to their switch is beyond me because no large enterprise is going to buy this dud.

The device I reviewed was a v2 version of the device. At this time, Netgear has software for a v1 and a v2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for buck POE switch. Perfect for VOIP., September 25, 2014
Really the perfect switch for the price. I'm using several of these in offices across nation to run small VOIP networks (Phonebooth and Vonage business). We use the gigabit port to tie it into the router and additional switches. This really is a plug & play switch. The web interface is decent and useful and the switch does have a remote reboot option.

Pros:
Plug & Play
Quality POE
Gigabit Ports
Price
Has been very reliable thus far

Cons:
More gigabit ports would be nice
One NIC on one of the many switches we have was bad
Blue (lol)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Easy To Set Up & Robust, April 27, 2014
Currently use this model switch to handle network distribution at 4 business locations and will be adding a 5th one shortly.

Simply plug & play unless you need to assign a dedicated IP to the unit (like we do) and comes with everything you need to mount it to a rack.

Wish the unit offered a Mac OS X version of the management software instead of being Windows only (hint, hint Netgear)

Firmware updates could be a little easier as well, but fortunately not something you have to do very often with this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for you POE users., September 9, 2014
This was a perfect addition to my network. I'm slowly converting ALL my cams to POE and freeing up my outlets. 24 ports are going to fill fast, As it's handling most of my computers as well, but I think I'll be ok with this one for now. Nice thing too is you can daisy chain or just add another unit if you need more ports. This unit is installed in a home environment, in the basement, between the joists with rack rails and plenty of ventilation, out of the way and easily accessible.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›