4.0 out of 5 stars GS108E vs. GS108T..."Smart" vs "Managed"
The Netgear GS108E is a "smart" gigabit switch for people that just want a plug-and-play experience: Power it up, plug in devices to be networked together and boom. Done.

Add the $15 rebate and the total cost is about $55.

Published on March 11, 2012 by K. Kelly

1.0 out of 5 stars Netgear GS105E - design flaws - do not purchase
Published on April 21, 2010 by L. M. Stocksdale

4.0 out of 5 stars GS108E vs. GS108T..."Smart" vs "Managed", March 11, 2012
This review is from: NETGEAR ProSAFE 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Plus Switch (GS108E) (Personal Computers)

Add the $15 rebate and the total cost is about $55.

If you need to configure the GS108E beyond it's basic functions, you need to install an included Windows management app...So Linux only networks need not apply.

The Netgear GS108T looks exactly the same, but is a "managed" gigabit switch with it's own web management console served up on it's own firmware web server...Manageable via any OS that has a web browser.

But at $90 with no rebate, the GS108T costs almost twice as much as the GS108E.

Both the GS108E and GS108T support VLAN tagging and QoS for Skype-type services.

I cheaped out and purchased the the GS108E...And while I wish I had the web console of the GS108T, the GS108E is probably the best bang-for-the-buck 8-port Gigabit switch on the market right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, July 28, 2012
the switch is great for the short time i've had it.

it's mounted with screws, upside down, on my basement ceiling.
no issues so far. plenty of room for expansion.

it services streaming boxes in my living room and on my
back porch, and it feeds a subnet in my bedroom (gs105e).
the gs108 switch gets its feed from an actiontec wireless
cable modem on a fiber optic system (similar to fios) provided
by my phone company.

the documentation is on disk or on line and is acceptable,
not great. the provided software may turn out to be useful.
updating the firmware was easy and straightforward.

it is fast enough for anything i've needed it for.

i'm very happy with the gs108ev.2's performance so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Switch, May 9, 2012
This little switch has been working great for 3 months now. This switch plugs into the demarc device from our fiber Internet provider. Then we have 2 routers with static IP's configured that plug into the switch, so about 30 to 40 gigabytes of traffic go through this switch every day, with no problems so far. I got this one mainly because it says it provides mirroring, and I wanted to be able to see if certain traffic was hitting our routers for troubleshooting purposes/monitoring. I've had the mirroring functionality on with no problems, very easy to configure with included software, but I believe you need an XP box around.

Sounds like the ping problem has been resolved because this device doesn't reply to any pings, unless you ping it of course as it does have an IP address (I just left the default address on it).

Would defintely reccomend if you want a solid switch with features like a managed switch without the managed switch pricetag.

1.0 out of 5 stars Netgear GS105E - design flaws - do not purchase, April 21, 2010
This device is a managed switch. I purchased it for the port mirror capabilities for a work project. Since it is a managed switch it has a MAC and IP address so that you can configure it. The device has a serious design flaw as confirmed with NETGEAR tech support. They indicate a firmware patch will fix the problem. They've known about the problem for several months and still no patch. The problem is that when you ping any device on your LAN segment the GS105E will erroneously send a response. Thus you get two responses. One real the intended device and one from the GS105E. For my network management station it accepts the first response it receives and causes all kinds of confusion on the network. I cant tell who is alive and who is not. DO NOT PURCHASE!!! SERIOUSLY and ADMITTEDLY FLAWED. NETGEAR should pull it from the market. They are ruining their good name.

1.0 out of 5 stars Netgear's DailyWTF, May 10, 2011
True story: I bought this 5-port switch for its port-mirroring capabilities. After plugging it in, I discover that there's no way to configure it, aside from the proprietary POS Windows app that according to other reviews:

* Doesn't work in Win7 64-bit.

* Doesn't work on Apple MacOS.

* The admin password is broadcasted (yes, UDP broadcast) in the clear.

The device also responds to pings sent to ANY IP ADDRESS on the network.

So look: I don't run Windows. Even if I did, having a network device that's tied to a specific piece of software that may not be available or even work on my computer in the future is asinine.

This is a network device. Just run a goddamned webserver on it. It even listens on port 80, and I don't even want to begin to contemplate why there's a non-HTTP server running on that port. Telnet suggests that it's an echo service. wtf.

Anyhow, the Amazon shipping time was superb, and the box came with a beautiful, glossy poster with all of the Netgear products, as well as the standards they support. If I had any plans on buying Netgear products in the future, I might've hung on to that. Guess I'll go the Cisco SLM2008 route.

2.0 out of 5 stars No more web interface which is a deal breaker for me., December 13, 2012
The only way to manage (configure) this switch is through the Netgear Software which is a deal breaker for me because I had hoped to put this in a remote office. The switch does not not allow configuration changes via a web interface. I was very disappointed because this was not the case with other Netgear Switches I have purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature Rich Switch at a Good Price, November 2, 2012
This is a fast 24 port managed switch that does its job well and reliably. My reasons for purchasing this switch was to be able to VLAN and mirror ports and the price was reasonable. My only issue is that the Prosafe software that is required for management needs Adobe Air installed on a windows system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for IPTV and LAN/Internet over 1 cable, August 17, 2012
Bacci (Brussels, BE) - See all my reviews
I bought this product because I only have one network cable running to my upstairs office but still wanted to have IPTV and Internet access in that room.
Setting up two separate VLANs with VLAN tagging over the shared UTP cable is a breeze with this device. It even offers QoS, in my case to prioritise TV traffic, in order to avoid any stutter caused by heavy traffic over the LAN network.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because specific Windows only software is needed to set up the device, it does not allow web configuration. Not a big deal though.

Overall highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work for gaming., April 30, 2010
Christopher K. Pryble (Chicago, Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a replacement for a GS105 UNMANAGED switch, witch did NOT recognize Qos (Quality of service). This switch works just fine, with an XBOX 360 gaming system. In fact it cured the LAG on my home network. I do not know about the ping problem, at least it does not seem to have any negative affect on my COD-MW2 games. I have always had good experiences with Netgear's ProSafe product line. Downloading the latest FIRMWARE update cures any ping problems and adds cable testing(excellent!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of GS116E, June 15, 2012
Works great! This was the only suitable product that had meet my requirements to upgrade my home network. 16-port, gigabit ethernet, compact & VLAN capable. Have been using it for about 6 months now and made the purchase from AMAZON.COM.