4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good product, though not perfect....
This basically worked as advertised for me right out of the box. I have a Toshiba R705 laptop that has the Intel Wireless Display capability built in.

I connected the adapter to TV and power using provided connectors. Then I fired up the Intel Wireless Display software, typed in the 4 digit code displayed on the TV and then the connection was rock solid...
Published on September 17, 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless...so far
I bought this item as part of the bundle Amazon offered on the Asus Bamboo laptop. It was relatively easy to setup, but I have encountered nothing but problems since attempting to actually make it work.

Published on August 31, 2010 by Jared

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good product, though not perfect...., September 17, 2010
This review is from: NETGEAR Push2TV TV Adapter for Intel Wireless Display PTV1000 (Black) (Old Version) (Electronics)

Pros -

Connection never failed
Audio and Video were extremely good.
Streaming movies from netflix was excellent, no different than streaming from my LG blu-ray player
Youtube etc etc etc, everything was excellent.
Google Web albums looks great

Cons

If you fail to break the wireless connection between the adapter and laptop before closing the laptop, the laptop basically has to be "hard" rebooted. (i.e.disconnect from power and remove battery) since the LCD screen refuses to function after waking up.

The screen has a little bit of space (half an inch all around) around the edges where the wireless display doesn't put anything (even when you set the laptop resolution to match the TV resolution). My TV has a adjustment using which I can fill it up, but other TV's may not have such adjustments and it is a little bit of a pain.

UPDATE: Found a adjustment in the Intel software that lets me increase the size to fill the screen. Extremely happy with the product now!

Overall, I am happy I bought this product. I'm able to do a lot of stuff like stream foriegn TV channels etc etc that I could not do before. It's a bit pricey for 99 bucks, but doubtless there will be price drops.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless...so far, August 31, 2010

I have updated the firmware and the drivers as specified by Netgear. However, everytime I connect the laptop to my television the WiDi application automatically resizes the display on my laptop. Annoying, but whatever. After that, the application goes on to lockup my laptop to the point of requiring a hard boot.

Netgear support has succeeded in repeating everything I say to them back twice to me, but that is it so far.

Conclusion: Product does not do what it is supposed to. From the looks of it (what with a firmware upgrade and "critical" driver updates right out of the box) this appears to be a half-baked, buggy offering. Wish I would have known before hand.

Update 7-23-12:

I gave this away a year ago to a friend who had no issues setting it up. However, he experienced the same random video pixellation, lag and infuriating laptop lockups. We trashed talked it over a few beers and both agreed an old desktop computer with an HDMI cable, being used as a media machine is a much better solution. He didn't think it was garage sale material so we played roller hockey with it. The surface on both sides slides very well and the weight is well balanced for wrist shots. I still have to keep my review at 2 stars however, because when we started with the slapshots the durability just wasn't up to snuff.

2.0 out of 5 stars Choppy, August 27, 2010
I know technology and I know if this product was released in 2003 it would have been huge, however in 2010 I ask myself, why would anyone sell this?

Basically this is nothing more than Intel sharing your computers wifi connection and using it to send a display signal to a set top box (this unit).

First -- Yes it works..
Second -- Yes it's laggy to the point of making it unasable for anything related to video
Third -- it's target audience should be businesses, not home consumers who might want to use it for more than a power point presentation.

This product is simpily a huge disappointment. You get the performance as if you were doing a remote PC session into someone elses machine -- meaning the same type of lap and copyiness.

Overall 2 stars because it does work.

1.0 out of 5 stars COMES WITH SEVERE LIMITATIONS, July 9, 2010
Navin T. Modi (Leominster, MA United States) - See all my reviews
People need to be aware of the following severe limitations before decide to purchase:

- These Push2TV adapters can only be paired with (work with) select WiDi compliant laptops. You can not just buy Intel Wireless Display Adapter install/add it into one of the slots on your beefy desktop with all your media collection.

- Wireless Display Adapter is Intel Proprietary device. Driver source is not made available to other OEMs like HP, DELL, Lenovo etc. So even if you buy HP WiDi laptop. You are at the mercy of Intel support for any issues/bugs/functional enhancements related to WiDi.

- WiDi uses 2.4 GHz frequency to communicate between laptop Intel Wireless Display adapter and Netgear Push2TV receiver adapter. This may interfere with cordless phones using the same frequency. There is no provision to scan for the free available frequency in the spectrum and dynamically change to that.

- The wireless range is MERE 12 FEET. So you can not have your WiDi laptop in your computer room/home office and display it on TV in living room. Blutooth suddenly look better when 12 feet is limitation... and I would rather use HDMI cable to connect my laptop to TV if I have to live by 12 feet limitation. Why bother with special laptop hardware and Netgear Push2TV adapter??

- Unlike your WiFi where multiple client computers can connect to one router at the same time, this WiDi technology only works with 1 to 1. You can not have multiple Netgear Push2TV adapters installed on each TV in your home and drive them from a single WiDi enabled laptop at the same time.

- I have not verified this myself, but I hear that commercial Bluray/DVD movies titles with copyright protection would NOT work over WiDi. Only your own homemade video/movies would work.

Hope this helps

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad for Videos, Terrible for Everything Else. NOT Plug and Play, September 9, 2010
You'd think something that requires two very specific hardware pieces specifically designed to talk to each other would work out of the box. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

If you happen to have one of the three or so laptops that Intel's wireless display ships with (such as my Toshiba R705) this Netgear box sounds awesome -- plug into your TV and play videos wirelessly.

However,
1. This is a pain to setup. Right out of the box, your laptop will need a driver update to work with this. Once you install that and connect to the netgear box, the netgear box will need a firmware update.

2. Once you go through all those hoops, and get the laptop to connect to this device, you realize that there is a half second lag between what you do on your monitor and when that change shows up on your TV. This makes this device useless for things such as typing an email while looking at the TV -- the lag is too long.

3. The lag shouldn't be such a big deal for watching videos streamed from your laptop to your TV -- ideally the core scenario this device was made for. Unfortunately, here my TV was too choppy. Every minute or so, the video (and audio) would freeze and then skip a second making it annoying enough that I think I am going to return this product and just buy a long HDMI cable. I tried all the steps on the troubleshooting and help documents, but no avail. There is no reason to spend $100 on a wireless replacement of an HDMI cable when the replacement can't even play videos right.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product...if it worked, September 19, 2010
Like many others, I received this product for free as a promotion with the ASUS U43JC-X1 Bamboo Laptop. Had I paid for it, I would be furious.

The product is very easy to connect. However, it almost certainly will not work (in any true sense of the word) without updating the firmware and drivers. I do not consider this a big issue. Unfortunately, the updates only solve some the issues some of the time. The below issues are still present after the updates.

Issues include (but are not limited to):
-Audio/video discontinuity. Most of the time audio and video are off by a few seconds. Very occasionally, they are not. I consider these few moments the only enjoyable ones with the product.
-Audio transfer. Audio successfully transmitting is intermittent. Often I end up with audio playing on both my laptop and through my wireless display. Luckily for me, they are off by a moment or two, which makes the experience abysmal. I've found a work around to this, but it's annoying that it is even an issue.
-Video lag. The video lag makes this product unusable for gaming, or even casual web browsing. At best, it could acceptably be used for a presentation (without any video or audio) or a slide show.

I would recommend against this product even if it is available for free. I've spent more time attempting to get it to work then it would take me to occasionally plug in an HDMI cable for a year. Not to mention the frustration.

-Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Might as well just get a long HDMI cable..., August 28, 2010
I tried the NETGEAR Push2TV with the ASUS U43JC laptop, and the quality is terrible on my LG 32" HDTV.

For some of you who might have did some study on this Intel WIDI technology would know that there are about 1~2 second delay on the TV display from your laptop. My initial thought was to just use this for video instead of gaming, but even video has terrible lag and artifact. I have tried to use it from 1 foot away as well as 10 feet away, the quality of the video did not change, and it still produces choppy video.

My final thought is that this product works if you just want to show some photos and maybe powerpoint presentation; however, to play simple videos or games will not be adequate. Do yourself a favor and get a $5 10-feet HDMI cable instead of this $100 adapter.

1.0 out of 5 stars No point buying, February 26, 2011
I am not too interested in writing a review unless I am severly impressed or feel screwed by a product that should have never been sold.

This product does not work properly at all. Your laptop has to be right in front of the adapter and within 3ft or connection will break. On top of that it is very choppy and with delayed display.

So forget about browsing your laptop from your cough unless your TV is mounted to you cough and you can deal with delayed display.

I wanted to use this just for movies so delayed display was no issue, but having to put my laptop on the same level, right in front and within 3 feet of the adapter just makes no sense.

I ordered a 12ft HDMI cable instead.

I love Amazon and thats why I siggest them to discontine selling it and Netgear/Intel to stop bringing out a "solution" they know doesn't meet 2011 technology standards as this ruins Netgear's reputation for me.

For all you potential buyers out there.... a warned person counts for two. I should have read the reviews better myself, but lesson learned.
Cheers,
Eric

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work at all AAHHHGGGG!, December 23, 2010
I bought this because amazon had it on sell for 19.99 with an asus laptop, it was designed to work specific with it. Unfortunately it did not work at all. I got it to connect to my HDTV twice out of 20 tries. When it did connect it blanked out a few seconds later with "Mode not supported" Probably HDPC protection crap in hdmi.
Then i connected it to Composite input, and it did show up at low resolution of course.
Now to the laptop- i tried to update the software in the laptop as i was warned to do with a piece of paper with the device. I was already up to date. I eventually found the intel software, started it, and scanned and found the device only when connected to the composite tv. it would not show when connected to hdtv. I clicked connect, and BEHOLD, i get an error message telling me it doesn't work!
I tried all the vague solutions listed - restart, update, and NO GO. I then tested the wifi hub that is built into the laptop, which is what this software utilizes, and it worked fine, i was able to connect with my iTouch to the interwebs with my laptop as the hub.
So that narrows it down to netgears hardware. I should have know better. The last junk i bought from netgear was a router i had to reset once a day. Not one to give up easily, i tried contacting netgear, and their substandard website support submission form would not work! I tried calling the number they give on the website, and after going through 10 minutes of menu selections, i could not get to a live person.
Back to amazon it goes
Even if it did work, the average consumer does not want to jump through hoops to use you device!
You would do better to buy a 25 foot HDMI cableLink Depot HDMI to HDMI Cable (25 feet) only $9.37 !!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, at best, October 4, 2010
It took me a while to figure out how to use it, but at length it is hooked up and is operating.

Pros:
* It works... when it works. If you don't want to have a long HDMI cable going from your laptop to the TV, this device is an option worth considering.
* My laptop doesn't have to be "aimed" at the device for it to work. This was a surprise to me.
* The range appears to be 10' if not more.

Cons:
* There will be audio and video issues to work through. The image on the TV most likely won't be sized properly, and you'll have to deal with that through the adjustments on the TV's remote control device.
* The picture clarity is not as good as a DVD, or even a VCR. Images and scenery aren't too bad, but fast-moving images (e.g., hand-to-hand combat in a war movie) will be grainy and blurry.
* Delayed images and sound. If you have your laptop close to you with the sound on, you'll faintly hear dialogue, then a second or so later you'll hear it again coming from the TV. The best solution is to mute the speakers on your laptop and rely solely on sound from the TV. I haven't yet figured out how to use my laptop speakers in lieu of the TV for sound, but there may be a way.
* Connectivity goes out once in a while. Usually, it is easily restored.
* Connnectivity goes out and stays out. Yesterday, after about six hours of watching movies on the Interent, connectivity was lost and could not be restored.

Bottom Line: I got it as a gift but would not spend my own money on it. A better solution may be to simply set up a short HDMI cable between your laptop and your TV. Then, to increase "stand-off" use a wireless keyboard and mouse to control the laptop.