NETGEAR ReadyNAS 102 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (RN10200-100NAS)
Size Name: DisklessStyle Name: 2-BayChange
Price:$126.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Size Name: 2 TBStyle Name: 2-BayVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The ReadyNAS I was shipped came with a pair of Toshiba DT01ACA100 drives - 7,200 RPM drives Toshiba touts as being engineered for high performance and low power for cooler operation. I compared it to my Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage (DS213j) using Seagate NAS drives (two ST3000VN000). As for price, the units are within a few bucks of each other if you buy them diskless.

HARDWARE COMPARISON:

This is where Netgear really shines. Both the ReadyNAS and the Diskstation sport single core 1.2 GHz processors and 512 MB DDR3 RAM. But ReadyNAS sports two USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 compared to Synology's two USB 2.0 ports. ReadyNAS has an eSATA expansion port and Synology does not. ReadyNAS has quick tool-less disk access and a metal enclosure. To get to the Synology drives you need a screw driver to open the plastic housing. ReadyNAS drives are also hot swappable. Power consumption for Wake on LAN for ReadyNAS is 1.0W compared to Synology's 3.65W while hibernating.

SOFTWARE COMPARISON:

Synology rules the software arena for user interface and ease of management. While both use a web browser for management on the LAN, ReadyNAS has a web browser look and feel while the Synology has a more intuitive desktop theme. But theme aside, Synology is just plain easier to use. For instance, to access a movie/song/photo via my phone from the DiskStation I just installed the media server package on the NAS and the free apps on my phone. On ReadyNAS the same task requires installing Plex media server, creating a Plex account, buying the Plex app and managing more passwords. I still can't figure out how to hibernate and wake up the ReadyNAS other than pushing the buttons on the front of the unit so I haven't been able to take advantage of any power saving mode. Synology hibernation settings are quick and effective. Synology can be shut down or restarted through the web interface. I don't see those options on the ReadyNAS - to power down you need physical access to the device. Managing user permissions is much more straight forward on the DiskStation. And I could go on.

As for remote access, although both boxes required punching some holes in my firewall for media access away from home (using their respective android apps), Netgear's ReadyCloud was quick and painless to setup without any router changes. ReadyCloud allows remote file access and other management of the ReadyNAS via accessing Netgear's cloud website. Synology can be accessed via the web but you're connecting directly to the Diskstation (via an IP address or DNS service and opening a port on the router).

In the Android App arena, Synology uses a different app for files, video, photos and audio. They are all easy to install and use. ReadyNAS uses the Plex app for videos, photos and audio - which Plex charges you for. Synology's apps are all free.

AND THE WINNER IS:

If you are mainly interested in file sharing on a home or business network, your interactions with the interface of the NAS will likely be minimal and both the ReadyNAS and the DiskStation handle this simple task effortlessly. They both offer file synchronization, fast access, backups and easy accessibility through Windows Explorer or a DLNA compliant device. But because the ReadyNAS has better hardware features I would go with the ReadyNAS. But for everything else, including remote access, I prefer the DiskStation. I guess that makes it a tie.

UPDATE 10/2/13 - CUSTOMER SUPPORT:

Although I have not had to use Synology customer support, I did have the need to call Netgear after a third party application hung the ReadyNAS and displayed an error message to not reboot but to call the displayed number on the error screen. Even though it was Saturday morning I promptly got a live person who was very helpful in resolving the issue (a reboot oddly enough). Then, two days later I got a return phone call to make sure everything was still okay. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the best customer support from a consumer electronics company I have ever received.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2013
Size Name: 1 TBStyle Name: 2-Bay
I received this ReadyNAS 102 as part of a Friends and Family program at Netgear.

Pro: Solid built, hot swap capability, quiet, easy to setup, ReadyCloud, Snapshots, mobile app support.

Con: The layout of the interface maybe a bit confusing at first, especially if you want to get more specific.

I have been a Synology user for the past 5 years, and I have never looked at any other NAS brand since because synology satisfies all my needs. However, after trying out the ReadyNAS for few weeks, I have the following to say:

I like synology because it's almost like running a linux in a mini desktop, it has a lot built-in services that can be easily configured. But synology is not very serious on protecting the data, it solely relies on RAID to do the data redundancy.

What I like about ReadyNAS, it's engineered with 'data' in focus, all it does is about 'data' (after all, it is a Network Attached STORAGE), and all the configurations and functions are all focused to serve and protect the data. Two of the biggest features that stand out to me are the ReadyCLOUD and the Snapshot. The ReadyCLOUD is brilliant, I no longer need to remember my NAS' domain name, just login readyCLOUD website, and there is my data in my home NAS, Drag'nDrop files directly to my browser and it will be put into my NAS, no need to setup Samba or NFS or anything, just a browser will do. The Snapshot feature adds additional confidences to the safety of my data, knowing that if I accidentally removed some files, the NAS will recover it for me with a click of a button. After few weeks of using, I feel a lot more confident to keep my important files on ReadyNAS than on my Synology, and that's exactly what I did, moved all my important data to ReadyNAS. If you want add services(add-on apps) to ReadyNAS, they are also available to download and install as you need, but i have not tried much app since I want to keep it a storage.

Overall impression: Synology has a lot of whistles and bells built-in, but the focus is not on 'data', more on services. As for ReadyNAS, it's all about 'data', how to manage it, access it, secure it, and tracking it. This is a true NAS experience with all the focus on 'data'. If you are getting a NAS to protect your data, then I highly recommend you get a ReadyNAS. But if you are just hosting a home server with a little bit of everything and nothing too serious, then you should get a synology.
Size Name: DisklessStyle Name: 2-Bay
As the review title says, this is a solid NAS enclosure and setup is very easy. I purchased this enclosure and a pair of: WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EFRX. I was literally up and running in minutes.

That being said, the caveat to this device is that all of the 'gotchas' about this product are buried in the firmware. This devices' OS is highly proprietary so you need to go into it knowing the nuances, otherwise you're going to shoot yourself in the foot. You're not able to map it and forget it like an old-school NAS device.

The biggest pain I've run into is with user accounts; each user account has its own storage area (think 'My Documents') that does not appear as a share. It's both invisible, and inaccessible to the Admin account. You can map this user accounts' 'area' as a network drive in Windows, but while that share is mapped, you cannot map another (an issue with Windows, but one gracefully skirted by other NAS devices). You have to manually edit the Windows hosts file on each users' PC if you want to map multiple user accounts. That gets old; fast.

All in all, this is a fair product so far; I just wish there was extensive documentation on the device OS as its a completely proprietary linux environment. The cloud features seem useful if you want to serve a lot of media locally, or access files on the road. If you just want a vault on your local network capable of RAID 1 (like I did) though, you may be better off looking elsewhere.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 2, 2014
Size Name: DisklessStyle Name: 2-Bay
Product came with firmware version 6.0.0 (OS 6).
Use "ReadyCloud" to setup and upgraded firmware to 6.1.6 immediately.
Was quite wary after reading some reviews, thus surprised with the ease of use and functionality.

This unit is not noisy at all, indeed very quiet, for me, I need to be within inches to hear it.
It does not have any performance or functionality issue.
Able to setup, configure and use the product with ease.
Full HD 1920x1080p streaming, time search no lagging.
Works perfect with my Samsung Smart TV, can play directly.
File/folder browsing and copy extremely fast.
Bit-torrent with transmission extremely fast. Works with remote GUI.
No problem with file/folder copy between NAS, LAN PC and USB.
Power manager auto-on/off on schedule works perfect.

used for 3 months now, still robust and solid.

Overall, good product for normal/home use such as: HD video streaming, Photo viewing, Data backup, Bit-torrent, RAID, etcs.
One of the best purchase I made.

Highly recommend this product for the following reason:
1. Budget
2. Warranty (3yrs compare to Synology 1 yr)
3. Electricity bills
4. Space saving
5. Ease of use - save time and trouble
6. Feature rich yet simple
on November 4, 2013
(Old Title "Disappointing performance, average at best" was changed on 2013-12-03 with updated review)

This is a review of the ReadyNAS 102 NAS box with 2x1TB drives. Based on its performance, it is an underpowered and overpriced NAS data storage device. Somewhat underwhelming, and hoping that performance gets better with tweaks and updates.

Setup and file management is cloud-based through Netgear's ReadyCLOUD, supposedly with access to data from any web browser. It can be upgraded with 2x4TB drives, for a total of ~8TB total data storage.

First, let's talk about what this is and what it has:
ReadyNAS 100 Series (RN10200-100NAS)
2x SATA drive bays with tool-less drive trays; Configured with 2x1TB drives
1x Gigabit LAN port
1x USB 2.0 port
2x USB 3.0 ports
CPU - Marvel Armada 370 1.2 GHz (ARM-based)
512 MB on-board RAM

The drives that came with the RN102 NAS are TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s. These are average yet decent drives.

This does not have eSATA ports, no HDMI, no LCD Display, no infrared remote, and is not compatible with the EDA500 5-bay expansion unit. For 350 dollars, it better have these features plus a few more.

What this is good for:
-Cloud storage, file-sharing, media server between computers within LAN.

What this is not good for:
-Cloud storage, file-sharing, media server between computers outside LAN.
-Video streaming, especially HD videos
-Access to large data files that require fast data transfer

Installation:
Unpack, plug in the power cord, connect the NAS to your router via Ethernet port. The device should then be accessible for login setup of user and password either by 1) ReadyNAS RAIDar software that comes with NAS, 2) going online through [...] to detect the device, or 3) manual setup. The online version did not work for me. Using the Netgear software utility was supposed to make connecting and configuring easier, but I prefer the manual method. Manual setup is possible through the NAS IP address (then access login and configuration through web).

If you want the NAS to copy files from USB port (camera, card reader, USB flash drive, etc), it requires a push of a button, but also requires an upgrade to at least firmware ver 6.1.3 (up-to-date ver 6.1.4)

Initially, I formatted the drives for RAID1, which took almost 3 hours. Then, I found the transfer rate onto the ReadyNAS to be pathetically slow (~2 MBps), the transfer of a 50GB test folder took about 7 hours. I used a spare gigabit router (not connected to my LAN) to transfer files from one PC to this NAS because it pretty much froze up internet access when transferring files. At first I thought the slow transfer rate was due to the initial write-and-copy session of RAID 1, so I reformatted the drives for RAID0 (which took another few hours), but the transfer took a bit longer (~8 hours). Not sure why this was the case, but there it is.

As for data read speeds, it was not impressive. RAID1 format, I got about 5 MBps (15GB HD movie took 55 minutes; 4GB file took about 13 minutes) when transferring onto internal SSD drive. RAID0 format, I got a bit of a performance increase but only to about 7 MBps (using the same test 15GB and 4GB test files, I got 35 and 9 minutes respectively). Needless to say, watching an SD movie worked with a few stutters, and watching an HD movie there was stuttering every few seconds. This may be fine for smaller files, but definitely not for streaming video files through local LAN. I may use this to backup small documents and maybe pictures, but definitely not movies or video projects.

My other issue is that I cannot access this NAS box remotely. If outside my LAN, I cannot connect and access my files. It may be an issue with my LAN setup, but I've tried setting this up in a DMZ on my LAN (with select services permitted for LAN access, inbound NAT configured), and still no success. Bummer. Once I figure out how to troubleshoot/optimize the slow data transfer rates on this, I will post an update.

Thus far, I favor the older D-Link DNS-320 and its faster version the D-Link DNS-325 series of NAS boxes. I would also recommend the Seagate Business Storage in 2-Bay NAS (STBN4000100) and 4-Bay 12TB NAS (STBP12000100) versions. These worked quite well, and had faster read/write data transfer speeds.

Otherwise, this is a slow NAS box with basic functionality and limited resources available for use. Can I recommend it? Yes, but it is extremely overpriced for what it can do. Solid two star rating. For me, I'd rather share 4x2TB internal drives on my obsolete-yet-functional WinXP Pro desktop (yes, you read that correctly).

UPDATE 2013-11-29
Updated to Firmware 6.1.1, and now the data transfers are at least 3-4x as fast. I moved an 18GB backup folder to this NAS which took 16 minutes, so ~19MB/s moving files of various types and sizes. The same movie file (~15GB) that took 55 minutes to copy to this NAS now only took about 13 minutes (~20MB/s). I am a lot happier with this NAS, and I have updated my rating to a strong 3-star (still hesitant to give it a 4-star rating).

UPDATE 2013-12-03
There is a newer "software" (6.1.4) on the Netgear support site, which I assume to be the "firmware" update that runs the software web interface, and which I downloaded but haven't updated yet. Stay tuned.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 2 TBStyle Name: 2-Bay
Installation couldn't be simpler:

1) Connect the power and network cables.
2) Press the power button.
3) On any computer connected to the same network as your ReadyNAS, enter the URL [...].
4) Wait a minute while your new storage device is located.
5) When instructed, press the button labeled "backup" on the front of the ReadyNAS.
6) Done.

From here, you can mount the network drive to use as plain storage or leverage a wealth of available utilities to make it an iTunes server, a PLEX media server, or dozens of other apps that are a click away from the included web interface.

What I found particularly impressive is that media files stored on this drive were immediately visible to my Roku player's "media reader" without any tricky configuration. All I had to do was start the ReadyDLNA service (it's a click on the web interface). After that, whenever music, pictures, or videos I load on the drive can be viewed from any device connected to my network. (It may not sound like a big deal if you are used to purpose-designed media servers. However, I've needed hours to accomplish this on several other NAS devices and occasionally found it impossible (despite marketing promises). There is even a nice (and free) iDevice app that allows me to stream content to my phones and tablets.

With the two-volume configuration, you get a choice of three RAID configurations:

- JOBD (Just a bunch of disks) has each of the disks acting independently. There is not performance or data protection benefit. If a disk fails, you lose the data that was on it.

- RAID 0 takes your data and "sprays" it across both disks. There is only one copy of anything but pieces of a file would exist on each of the disks. The result is a performance benefit because both drives are working together to retrieve your information. On the other hand (there's always an "other hand" with this kind of thing, if you lose one disk you lose all your data. The total space available is the sum of your drives (assuming they are all the same size).

- RAID 1 writes copies of everything to both drives two drives; there are two copies of everything. The good news is that if a drive fails you don't lose anything. The bad news (that's the same as "the other hand") you only get half the storage available to you. For example, if I have a pair of one TB drives the total available storage is one TB (since everything is duplicated). You can also see an improvement in reading speed as well as a degradation in write speeds as part of marinating this dual copy setup.

The short story to the RAID question is the drive comes configured for RAID 1 and I believe it is best to leave it that way.

Beyond that, heck, well before that, it's pretty much a handy block of hands off, always available, and available pretty much anywhere storage that is fast and (if you leave it set to RAID 1) pretty much bulletproof.

A sample was provided so I could share this review.
Size Name: 1 TBStyle Name: 2-Bay
This is a review for ReadyNAS 102 NAS box with 2x1TB drive. The ReadyNAS has many potential uses (file-sharing, cloud storage, media servers). I was interested in it as a backup storage for my critical data. It is good to have a copy of this data on another box in case something catastrophic happens to the main computer, and the RAID 1 drive provides an extra layer of security in case one of the drives goes bad.

The NAS box can run in RAID 1 (mirrored) or RAID 0 (striped) mode. Mirrored mode is used for reliability as the same data is automatically written to two disks. Striped mode is used for speed as data writes are segmented between the drives. By default ReadyNAS is configured as RAID 1. Since I am using it for backups that is the configuration I need.

I am running Fedora Linux on my desktop, so I did not use the configuration software that came with the box. It worked very well with Linux, and setting it on Linux was straight forward:

♦ As soon as ReadyNAS was connected Linux recognized its presence
♦ I looked at the router configuration to determine which IP was assigned to ReadyNas so I can change its configuration
♦ Automatic default was to give it DHCP IP, which I changed to use the static IP on my network and added it to my host file
♦ I created a NFS mount. I prefer NFS mounts to Samba mounts for performance reasons. The only note here is to make sure that the same user id and group number are used as the ones used on the host Linux system
♦ NASReady web wizard walked me through various security settings, including specifying an email address where alerts should be mailed

I used sys_basher, which is a very thorough Linux tool for evaluating performance of local and network drives.
Here are the two key numbers from Sys_basher performance benchmarks:

Read Direct 116.94 Megabytes/second (this is good, limited by 1 gig network bandwidth)
Write Direct 41.30 Megabytes/second (this is a bit slow)

I have been using using ReadyNAS for daily backups for the last two weeks without any problems. It has been running reliably, it is not loud, and it feels cool. ReadyNAS was easy to set up and performs well. I do backups over night and it completes with plenty time to spare so the speed of writes has not been an issue for me.

NearGear web UI allows you to check if you firmware has the latest release. The box I received in June had 6.1.8 release and the check for updates told me it was the current release. I am very pleased with it.

ReadyNAS 102 provided by NetGear.

Ali Julia review
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 28, 2014
Size Name: DisklessStyle Name: 2-Bay
Great as long as you don't count on Netgear support or flawless firmware updates. Update erased two newly running drives partitions. Purchased a service contract from netgear for $79, then asked for another $200 for data recovery "attempt". Many hours on hold, recommunication of situation to supervisors. Netgear will not support flawed firmware and generates revenue growth from situations like mine. People will spend anything to recover data!!!! Beware of netgear. Never again for me. I took the drives to a local company and they confirmed data is gone...forever.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hey Jhendo,

Please be aware that the standard NETGEAR warranty is as follows:

3 to 5 year hardware warranty
90 days phone support
Email support is valid for warranty support period

This means that if free basic phone support is unable to assist then please email us at amazon@netgear.com. Be sure to include any of the case numbers that your received as well as a copy and paste of your review.

If you need anything else or have any questions please remember that our forums are always open.
forum1.netgear.com

Regards,

NETGEAR Team
on November 2, 2013
Size Name: 2 TBStyle Name: 2-Bay
I thought this thing was great (ssh access, Linux, debian package support) until I discovered it wasn't spinning my disks down. (As of the 6.1.4 firmware, Nov 2013)

I tried to get the drives to spin down with hdparm on the command line. No luck. Poking around I discovered that the readynasd process on the system is re-writing its configuration database at /var/readynasd/db.sq3 every 5-10 seconds. It's not changing it, it's just opening it up and re-saving it. WHY? That's dumb.

So not only is there no power save or disk spindown support, its re-writing the same file to the disk every 5-10 seconds. I wouldn't expect the drives to last very long under this condition. I'm considering returning it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 27, 2013
Size Name: DisklessStyle Name: 2-BayVerified Purchase

The setup is very straight forward. I just plugged the unit in and went to the URL given to setup the device. After the initial setup, I performed a firmware upgrade since I noticed a new version was available. Note: You need to manually refresh the browser page or open a new window. I sat there for a little while and the device doesn't automatically refresh the web page. So far I've dragged some movies to the device. Streams over DLNA to my XBOX without any issues. Mapped a drive to my Windows machine and setup a new backup job so my data is safe. Backed-up my Mac laptop via TimeMachine. All what I would expect.

I was very surprised with the Readycloud feature. Besides setting up the device, I'm able to see all my data from anywhere. I didn't have to adjust anything on my network, no changes to the router configuration. So now it's like I have my own google drive. Pretty cool.

My next step will be to try some of the apps available. I saw Plex Media Server is available. And I'm interested in Surveillance to watch my dog in the backyard.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations